Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CJ
Jul 3, 2007

Asbungold
Man i finally had to log out today because my router restarted today and now i'm stuck in a 1400 person queue. I'm really glad i didn't log out last week when the queues were 7000 people or whatever if it's this slow.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CJ
Jul 3, 2007

Asbungold

Dragongem posted:

Man I really hope I can at least play in the mornings in my time off next week. Just got some free time and it's a 2k person queue already.

I've basically been unable to play during the week because I have things like "a kid" and "chores". It would be more tolerable if I could even just get in queue and not have to babysit it. I'm on a good enough wireless connection, but I can't do a wired thanks to the fun placement of the cable connection. At this rate I'll finish Heavensward by March :v:

If you logged in 3 hours ago the queue was fine. 2 hours ago it was 700. Now it's in the thousands. This is on Leviathan which is the busiest server on Primal afaik, your server may vary.

CJ
Jul 3, 2007

Asbungold
How my Monday is going.

CJ
Jul 3, 2007

Asbungold
The NHS just 2002ed me. I'm going to try again at 3am.

CJ
Jul 3, 2007

Asbungold
I don't like this narrative that they have to stop selling the game because it's just so popular, when it's more that their login server is so badly coded that it has to throttle logins and randomly resets your connection every 15 minutes.

CJ
Jul 3, 2007

Asbungold

Mister Olympus posted:

Endwalker is the final and absolute confirmation that they do this based on mainstat first, then role, then armor type. In this sense, you should be counting ranged as 4 with ninja in there, because it's dex mainstat/aiming rightside, not just ranged-as-role. This puts melee (str) at 4, and caster at 3, so it's going to be a caster and one other DPS, because it's likely that the pattern is DPS+cycle, where the cycle goes dps-tank-healer.

Given that provides a one-expansion gap between times that a mainstat is added to, we can figure that 7.0 will add a caster and ranged, because melee is invalidated by reaper. If I'm wrong about the cycle, caster and tank.

It sounds like you're trying to make patterns out of a very limited history. What is the conclusive proof that they choose new classes based off their mainstat? If you have to declare that Ninja is a ranged class to fit this theory you probably need to start again.

CJ
Jul 3, 2007

Asbungold

Mister Olympus posted:

Because they've always consistently added to the mainstat with the least representation, even when it meant that roles became overrepresented. The first instance of this before Reaper was Samurai, being the fourth melee added before a third ranged, which wouldn't make sense unless you view it as a third strength job added to balance out three of every other mainstat.

Basically, it goes like this:

1. always add things so that mainstats are balanced out

2. don't add the same role two expansions in a row

The only other thing that has yet to be confirmed as a pattern is how they handle tiebreakers and tank/healer spacing, which 7.0 will because they have no choice but to add a caster to bring everything up to 4 jobs per mainstat, then break the tie with whatever the second job is.

Have you considered that they may have added Samurai in Stormblood because it was the expansion about fantasy Japan?

They probably just add what they think is cool with some consideration to what they role they haven't added in a while.

CJ
Jul 3, 2007

Asbungold
Kind of weird that we just killed those guys and then let all the other people in Eulmore off. I don't think they even did anything that bad compared to the citizens throwing their slaves off buildings and stuff. Kill jester, i guess.

CJ
Jul 3, 2007

Asbungold
Tank role quest How come they didn't execute these tempered Moogles from Moogle Mog? I thought that was the done thing in ARR.

CJ
Jul 3, 2007

Asbungold
The biggest oversight with the expansion is not letting you use emotes to pose your followers.

They look so awkward.

CJ
Jul 3, 2007

Asbungold
If you're as sick of the christian rock in the final zone as me, Dalamud mods has a jukebox mod that also has the option to replace one song with another. I switched it to the distorted one from the beginning of the zone but you can change it to whatever you like.

CJ
Jul 3, 2007

Asbungold
Zenos It's bullshit that at some point in the fight there wasn't a cutscene where you both drop your weapons and then pass them back to each other like the end of Cowboy Bebop. They nearly went peak anime and they screwed it up.

CJ
Jul 3, 2007

Asbungold
When raiding is it better to hit my cooldowns as soon as they come up so they line up with everyone elses or wait until i have my oGCDs and resources to use them in the cooldowns? I tried doing the extremes for the first time, and on Gunbreaker it feels really lovely when my Gnashing Fang combo or Blasting Zone slowly get out of sync with No Mercy due to The GCD cooldown or having downtime on the boss due to dodging a mechanic. It's also ridiculous trying to fit everything in to No Mercy when Bloodfest is off cooldown. I'm not even sure it is possible. Hope you don't need to use a defensive cooldown either because you're constantly animation locked.

CJ
Jul 3, 2007

Asbungold

RME posted:

There’s a few exceptions to hitting stuff asap and things like the GNB ammo combo is one of them, since it’s on the GCD as a cooldown it scales with sks but no mercy is a fixed 60s, you should always hold every other ammo combo for no mercy.
EW in general seems to be a bit messier with classes that have drifting built in, again largely because they put things on the gcd and scale them with sps/sks

e; I will say I haven’t really looked at too much gnb stuff since shb so maybe this is outdated by my sense is it should still hold, especially with jobs being so locked into 60/120 now

Why would i need to hold the Gnashing Fang combo? Its cooldown is 30 seconds so it will ideally line up with No Mercy. The problem is if i ever don't hit Gnashing Fang the instant it doesn't come off cooldown because i'm in the middle of a GCD or i can't get in melee range of the boss, i then have to hold No Mercy for Gnashing Fang.

CJ
Jul 3, 2007

Asbungold

Failboattootoot posted:

Stat squish does not affect 50 and under content, all of that stayed the same.

There's no way that's true. When i've done under 50 dungeons since the patch the trash dies before i finish pulling it and the bosses skip phases.

Endorph posted:

please do not call the teenage girl a 'waifu' just because shes committed the grave crime of being a female character in a japanese video game

Wait, how old is she meant to be? I would have guessed early to mid 20s.

CJ fucked around with this message at 07:32 on Dec 26, 2021

CJ
Jul 3, 2007

Asbungold
Ok that's believable. Based on Endorph getting mad at someone calling her a waifu i thought she was going to be 15 or something. If she's 19 who cares.

CJ
Jul 3, 2007

Asbungold
It's a gendered word but i don't think it's sexist unless you refuse to call Emet a husbando.

CJ
Jul 3, 2007

Asbungold

cheetah7071 posted:

in more words cause I'm not yet exhausted by explaining it in a hundred threads like endorph presumably is:

by calling a character a waifu, you are saying, her purpose in the fiction is to titillate. That is what it means to be A Waifu. Declaring completely ordinary characters waifus is thus, very bad

Naa at this point it just means character in an anime tbh.

CJ
Jul 3, 2007

Asbungold

Endorph posted:

it really doesnt mean that and even then why does 'character in an anime' need its own special term instead of just 'character.'

Because languages evolve naturally and aren't completely logical or efficient.

Anyway i prefer people being attracted to good characters rather than ones which are there purely as fanservice. FF14 is pretty good about that. The only one i can think of who isn't is G'raha, who basically because a self parody in Endwalker.

Also, for HW vs SB chat, i think HW had story issues (i think it's insane that there isn't a defense of Ishgard dungeon), but it did a way better job of telling a story that people could connect with emotionally. 3.0 wasn't as character based, and had the problem of Lyse and the disjointed gaps between the two halves. The Stormblood patch story content was all great though and really redeemed it. 2.3 and 2.4 were really good too, but i think every Stormblood patch had stuff that was really engaging.

CJ fucked around with this message at 08:44 on Dec 26, 2021

CJ
Jul 3, 2007

Asbungold

Mister Olympus posted:

warriors of darkness was a pretty big "okay, where is this going? is this just here to find a really elaborate way to put minfilia on a bus?" in the moment, without all of shadowbringers to look forward to

there were just fewer people playing HW patch-to-patch, and more people on SB1 patch-to-patch, so the same sensation of "when does this pay off?" that both patch stories had got magnified way more in the latter and stuck around as a community meme.

really it isn't until shadowbringers itself that literally everything gets tied in and back together and you got to see the picture that no, it actually has been a unified story since ARR, it just took a while to get there

The game definitely has a pattern of setting stuff up for the expansion after in the post patches. Yugiri and the Doma stuff is in 2.x, WoD is 3.4, i can't remember if there's anything Endwalker in the 4.x though.

I think it's probably around the time that they are writing the story so they can seed some stuff to set it up. I don't believe that they had it all planned out from the start though except in very very broad strokes.

CJ
Jul 3, 2007

Asbungold

Hogama posted:

In a roundabout way you could say that setting up G'raha in 4.5 sets up Crystal Tower as mandatory which sets up a character. There's also the device Nero ditches - at the end it's beeping "IT'S ALL WRONGG" in Morse code (this was most likely meant to lead into the original concept for Eureka, though - if it might line up with anything else it's by happenstance). And they clearly had more plans for Zenos.

Yoshida said in an interview that it was originally for Eureka but they changed it to detecting the Crystal Exarch's beacon.

CJ
Jul 3, 2007

Asbungold
WoL: Hey G'raha what's u-

G'raha: When i was a boy i dreamed of travelling the world like the adventurers of legend, to see sights unseen, to truly experience what this wonderous star has to offer. The day i saw you standing there in front of the Crystarium felt like a dream, oh how i longed to go on adventures with you, my inspiration. Promise me that you will take me with you where ever you decide to go after this is all done. I care not where i end up, as long as it is by your side. I'm just a catboy, standing in front of a girl, asking her to like him. Oh the places we will go,

CJ
Jul 3, 2007

Asbungold

Antivehicular posted:

I personally would prefer if we could discuss female characters without the conversation inevitably turning to why people are/aren't attracted to them, and under what conditions, and whether or not FF14 has a sufficiently high number of attractive female characters, because it is the worst conversation in the world and it dominates the rest of the goddamn Internet

I really don't see that much for this game though. The one thing i have noticed is some people seem to just imprint their own made up personality onto Y'shtola because she's a catgirl. That and people making dominatrix jokes about Yotsuyu but the game is clearly baiting that. I see a lot more husbando talk, probably because there are a lot more male characters who lean into that.

CJ
Jul 3, 2007

Asbungold

Oxyclean posted:

I like G'raha a lot, but he definitely has a bit of a hero worship thing with the WoL that I can see putting people off.

Like, in the context of his story, it kind of makes sense. By similar metrics, I feel like Alisae's relationship to the WoL can feel a bit weird sometimes. (But she also contextualizes it very well at one point.)

Alisae is a teenage girl, she's allowed to fangirl. G'raha is an old man.

The sentimental speeches were endearing in 3.0 and 3.3, but after he joined the Scions he kept doing it. I remember he did it in Azys Lla in 3.4 then obviously at the end of zone 6 of EW. We're teammates now, the idolisation thing is weird. I think they don't have anything to do with the character and he just has to hang around. He had one good moment in RAH where he went Exarch mode in the square but the rest of the time he was just tagging along. They should have had bodyswap Zenos give him the Y'shtola treatment from Stormblood and put him in the hospital until the final zone.

CJ
Jul 3, 2007

Asbungold
The geometry was originally going to be identical so they could use the work to add flying to ARR but they abandoned that idea after realising it would make it boring to explore.

CJ
Jul 3, 2007

Asbungold
I loved MoP Shadow Priest when they added the Devouring Plague orb resource thing, and i'd love a DoT class with that kind of spinning plates gameplay.

Do DoTs snapshot in this game? If so i'd assume a large part of it would be to refresh DoTs at the end of the raidwide buff window.

CJ
Jul 3, 2007

Asbungold
Do people pug savage raids like extremes? Being able to join groups that are at the same point in progression as you with no pressure is way more fun than having to commit to a group and get locked to the instance when they disband after recruiting in broadcast for an hour like in WoW.

CJ
Jul 3, 2007

Asbungold

FutureCop posted:

Little thing about the final MSQ trial:

So the Endsinger does this big wipe move that needs to be tank LB'd, and then rewinds time to do it again before you have enough time to recover your limit break to tank LB that one as well. When I played this for the first time as a tank, I had my co-tank type 'uh wait what' in the chat which made me and everyone else panic, scrambling looking around for some sort of mechanic to get out of this (like some sort of aether collector to be destroyed similar to ultima weapon in void ark). Lo and behold we got destroyed but then were saved by the power of prayer, and my co-tank admitted at the end that he had done it before and just likes to hype it up for first-timers to sell the bit since someone else did it for their group as well.

From then on, whenever I get the Endsinger in trial roulette and I see some first-timers in the group, I like to do the same thing by being all kayfabe, saying things like 'uh oh' or 'well, that's a wipe' or 'dpsdpsdpsdpsdps' to sell the bit: maybe it's a little cringe, but I thought it was cute and wondered if other people had a similar experience and continue the legacy as well.

You can also LB3 when killing the add to scare the people who don't know it refills when you kill it.

CJ
Jul 3, 2007

Asbungold

Leraika posted:

mind telling me where? I don't really recall but most of the back half of the story I did in one setting with a blinding headache so my memory's a bit spotty

edit so as to not double post: speaking of drk, I just actually got around to doing the level 80 capstone quest for it (I did a lot of classes without the finish quest in my gotta get amaro rush) and god. what a way to elevate a simple concept. I wish I liked drk more/there was going to be more drk quest writing because what a fantastic questline the whole way through

I think it's the scene where the bunny boy notices the despair disease starting in Ishgard.

CJ
Jul 3, 2007

Asbungold

I'm getting the hang of Gunbreaker, finally got to purple. How much of a difference does using food/pots make? Do people use them for farming easy bosses like this? It probably also doesn't help that i'm the designated stand at range guy so i'm wasting a bunch of GCDs on Lightning Shot.

When i put the log into that analysis site it's yelling at me for only doing 8 GCDs per No Mercy window. Am i meant to stack skill speed for that? I can't mash the GCD any faster.

CJ fucked around with this message at 12:19 on Dec 30, 2021

CJ
Jul 3, 2007

Asbungold

WrightOfWay posted:

Food and pots are minor, but noticeable. You'll need them if you want to absolutely maximize your parse but you can get high purple without them.

It is technically possible to get 9 GCD No Mercy with a GCD as high as 2.47, but it's very tight, especially if you have high ping since GNB can't really get away with single weaving. The highest ilvl gear right now doesn't have much skill speed so it's not a bad idea to meld some. I used 2.41 in ShB and it's pretty comfy but anything below 2.45 or so is pretty playable in my experience.

I asked around on the balance discord and the problem was that i have 170 ping so i was clipping 0.6s over the duration of the burst window from double weaving. I had to install some program that modifies your animation lock to account for your ping and it works fine now.

Seems like a perfectly normal thing to have to do to be able to play a class as designed.

CJ
Jul 3, 2007

Asbungold
If you want a specific token there's no reason not to wait until all the other rolls resolve. If you don't care what you get then you're going to win one of the things the slow rollers pass on so what do you care.

CJ
Jul 3, 2007

Asbungold
Person A: I like both cake and pie, i do not care which i get.
Person B: I only like pie, i'll let you take the cake first then have the pie.
Goons: Just flip a coin to see who gets the pie and let the cake go to waste if person A wins, stop being an rear end in a top hat.

CJ
Jul 3, 2007

Asbungold
That doesn't work though because the cake liker won the cake then immediately left while the pie enjoyers are in a mexican standoff.

CJ
Jul 3, 2007

Asbungold

central dogma posted:

Jesus, imagine installing a plug in to squeeze 20 more potency out of an opener and getting banned for it. A hearty lol.

Edit: ^^ just saw your post. Good luck! Hope it's worth it <3

I don't know how much of a difference it makes on Monk, but on Gunbreaker it's a 10% damage increase between having it on or off. They decided it was a good idea to make Gunbreaker give up one of its oGCD slots after nearly action by default though so it might not be as big a difference for other classes.

The bigger problem is why the gently caress is the game coded so that it resets your animation lock after receiving acknowledgment from the server? The client knows when you pressed the button, it knows when it should end. It's not even that it's server authoritative, you can apparently modify XIVAlexander so that when the client receives the update from the server it thinks you pressed the button earlier than you did and gives you no animation lock, and the server accepts new inputs before you should be able to just fine.

central dogma posted:

You swooped in here so fast to defend a tool you don't even use that I confused you for someone else. Apologies :downs:

^^ Can, uh, an illegal plugin be used to replace the Christian rock with something else? Such as the distorted (good) version when first entering the zone?

Yup. Install "Orchestration" > do /porch > Replacements > Target song: 862, Replacement Song: 860.

CJ
Jul 3, 2007

Asbungold

blatman posted:

is there some trick to tab targeting in PVP that will help me suck less? I seem to spend more time trying to tab someone squishier in range than actually hitting

Bind a key to target nearest.

CJ
Jul 3, 2007

Asbungold

Mr. Nice! posted:

I may have missed this in the plugin chat, but for those with terrible pings, have you tried something like mudfish vpn? I have comcasticly garbage internet because cable ISPs have local monopolies on high speed internet.

As a result, I can get comically bad lag spikes and massive dropped packets from time to time. Mudfish smoothes it out. I’m in North Florida and I can get an 80s ping consistently with mudfish on and essentially eliminate some of comcast’s garbage routing.

Mudfish also works but it's not going to get you down to a latency of 10ms and why pay for a VPN just because the game is coded dumb when you can fix it for free.

CJ
Jul 3, 2007

Asbungold
How come people are so bad at recognising voice actors? Is it ESL people?

I saw some stream where someone was crying over the last voice line in the last zone until her chat told her it was someone completely different.

CJ
Jul 3, 2007

Asbungold
It's kind of wild how unpopular the elves are for a fantasy game. Did the cat girls and dragon girls eat their lunch or do their models just look too weird for people to find appealing?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CJ
Jul 3, 2007

Asbungold
I think all races should be opened up to trial players. It's really dumb that you can't pick Viera or Hrothgar at character creation. Especially in a game that discourages alts so much.