Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hellioning
Jun 27, 2008

theblackw0lf posted:

With the release of Endwalker are there easier ways to raise item level than prior to release? I’m stuck in 5.4 as I don’t have high enough item level yet.

You can get higher level gear with poetics.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hellioning
Jun 27, 2008

theblackw0lf posted:

Do I need to have purchased Endwalker yet or is that in the new patch?

It's the new patch, just go to the Shadowbringers tomestone vendors.

Hellioning
Jun 27, 2008

The Shame Boy posted:

GLORIOUS! Zenos sells getting punched really well even though Lalafell of Light doesn't even come up to his hips

Of course Zenos is going to sell well for the WoL, they're his only friend! We know he wouldn't do the job for anyone else.

Hellioning
Jun 27, 2008

Wingnut Ninja posted:

I just gave it a quick try and it's a real mindfuck to figure out from scratch at 80, but it seems like with a little practice and understanding it'll be really cool. Pretty much every attack feels like it would be a "capstone" high-cooldown attack on any other class.

It is and it is great.

Hellioning
Jun 27, 2008

Summoner is incredibly simple mechanically which leaves more room for on-the-spot decision making and also looking cool which is the most important part of a job.

Hellioning
Jun 27, 2008

Robo Reagan posted:

does smn have a decent aoe rotation now instead of dot spreading and garuda egi?

In that it has an AoE button and all of its summons do AoE damage and all of it summon exclusive abilities do AoE damage yes.

Hellioning
Jun 27, 2008

Insert name here posted:

Doing MCH AoE is a million times more satisfying now despite basically not changing, can't seem to pinpoint why though
[zone 3 so spoiler tagged just in case]

:thunk:
(You're right though because the biggest change is actually getting 10 heat/GCD instead of 5 and I've definitely just kept blasting away after hitting 50)

God I love that hat, it goes great with everything.

Hellioning
Jun 27, 2008

Wingnut Ninja posted:

I didn't realize all that about the Astral Flow differences [e: looks like it's something that comes after 80], but aren't you going to use all three during your rotation no matter what? Or does that change at some point as well?

No, you use all three, it's simply a matter of when you can afford to stand still and cast vs. when you need to move, when you might need a dash to the enemy vs. when you want to stay away, etc.

Hellioning
Jun 27, 2008

wizardofloneliness posted:

He doesn't have any voiced lines but you can talk to him a couple times during certain quests.

Not enough. I expect him to somehow be a part of one of the raid questlines in compensation.

Hellioning
Jun 27, 2008

YoshiOfYellow posted:

For those that have finished the MSQ I have a couple of questions I'd love to pose.

What is your favorite new dungeon?
What is your favorite new map?

For Myself (Various Large Spoilers All Across The Expansion, including towards the end)

Dungeon: Ktisis Hyperboreia is gorgeous and I'm still listening to the music from there on repeat. I think some other dungeons probably have more interesting fights & mechanics but this one felt special. Doing it with Trusts was an A+ experience.
Map: This one is harder. I love Thavnair & Radz-at-Han for being gorgeous and interesting and also just because I'm a Dancer main. But objectively I think either Elpis or Ultima Thule probably win. Both are extremely gorgeous with a lot of amazing plot beats and great music.

Dungeon: I think the 83 dungeon because I like trains, I like the Azim Steppe people, and I like Anima.
Map: Pure map wise, Thavnair because it is very pretty.

Hellioning
Jun 27, 2008

I don't think you could plausibly split Endwalker into two expansions, but I do believe that it has basically two vaguely-related stories inside of it and I think that's to its detriment. I think the solution would be to connect the stories together better, and not just separate them more.

Hellioning
Jun 27, 2008

Man I wish Orbonne was ever a face roll.

Hellioning
Jun 27, 2008

Doma isn't Generic Medieval Japan.

It's a lot closer to Generic Medieval China, honestly. Well, Medieval China If It Got Invaded.

Hellioning
Jun 27, 2008

SirPhoebos posted:

To broach a more general topic: when making dialogue choices, how many here treat the WoL as a character in their own right instead of an extension of yourself? Because there have been points where I passed over what might have been a funnier or spicier dialogue option simply because I couldn't envision my WoL saying it for whatever reason

I generally pick the most generically heroic options available, so I guess?

Hellioning
Jun 27, 2008

I mean to be fair that eventually ends up with someone going "So you've probably already figured this out..." and a reveal with little to no fanfair.

Hellioning
Jun 27, 2008

I went SCH > SCH > SCH > SCH > SMN, because I like books.

Hellioning
Jun 27, 2008

Summoner is significantly less complicated than it used to be, but it functions just fine at that level. Just summon bahamut, make sure to Enkindle and use Deathflare during Bahamut's summon, then summon an egi, use that gem version of your single target/AoE spell where applicable, then repeat twice.

Hellioning
Jun 27, 2008

Now that you said it it does remind me of Christian rock except not awful.

Hellioning
Jun 27, 2008

Also one of them is The Twinning 2.0 in terms of music which helps.

Hellioning
Jun 27, 2008

To counter this point, I saw a person with the white glowing Scythe and now I think all reapers using any other weapon are objectively wrong.

Hellioning
Jun 27, 2008

DRK is either top damage dealing tank or second most after Gunbreaker.

As a part-time healer I have noticed I need to heal DRK more then another tank but it could just be me getting bad DRKs.

Hellioning
Jun 27, 2008

Begemot posted:

To me, (87 MSQ) the big "oh no" moment was when he casually mentioned her sisters, who he had already sent out into the universe. Like, dude, your job is literally to be in charge of the concept testing facility, you should know better than to skip the entire peer review process!!

Samesies.

Hellioning
Jun 27, 2008

Ah yes some of the best parts of their respective expansions together. It is excellent.

Hellioning
Jun 27, 2008

Pwnstar posted:

Whenever Puddingway isn't on screen, the other characters should be asking "where's Puddingway?"

Puddingway is the best rabbit.

Hellioning
Jun 27, 2008

New raid was fun, though the second fight was annoying because our healers had trouble staying alive.

I did enjoy the final pull on the last fight. Every pull in which you last long enough to get two LB3s is a good pull.

Hellioning
Jun 27, 2008

Zeruel posted:

Two LB3s?? Crikey how long did your attempts last?

I want to say the last pull was at least 12-13 minutes?

But yeah, we dropped to half, a healer LB3d to rez four people (three of whom immediately died because we died to the deathwall and rezzed in the deathwall), and then we managed to recover. Also, someone had time to go 'sorry guys I need to leave please kick me after this pull i need to bring someone to ht ER' and then, a couple of minutes later, go 'actually someone else is brining them to the ER never mind' and get rezzed.

It was kind of hilarious.

Hellioning
Jun 27, 2008

super sweet best pal posted:

I'd give Panda part 1 a passing grade. Perfectly acceptable but at the same time not very compelling. Dorkula is no Titan car.

I did enjoy the boss designs for 2 and 3 and desire one or both as a mount.

Hellioning
Jun 27, 2008

Hogama posted:

I do believe that the P3 boss was datamined as the savage mount.

Between this and the armors I have an actual reason to do savage beyond 'progression is fun i guess'.

Hellioning
Jun 27, 2008

I'd love to join in on the worst lists but I don't do Guildhest or 5/6/7/8 roulettes enough to properly judge them, so I'll just take this time to complain about Copperbell Mines again.

Hellioning
Jun 27, 2008

Garlemald is Rome? Like they even use Latin.

(the correct answer of course is that Garlemald takes bits of several empires and combines them to form an extremely Empire-y empire.)

Hellioning
Jun 27, 2008

My favorite levelling dungeon is probably the level 67 dungeon entirely because the last boss.

We go together!

Hellioning
Jun 27, 2008

Antivehicular posted:

The vibe I get from Copperbell is that it was intended to be new players' first experience with "challenge" mechanics (mob rushes! A puzzle boss!), but the design and tuning ended up making it only work that way for people who are new to the dungeon and also MMOs in general. The first time I ran Copperbell, I found it exciting and tense, because I hadn't played MMOs for over a decade before FF14, and it was the first dungeon that I did on my own without coaching from my partner. Every subsequent time... loving snore town

Eh, even then, Tam-tara and Sastasha are better 'how to dungeon' fights because they're actual fights. The slime boss is literally just two adds for the DPS, and they were never particularly hard, even before they got one shot.

Hellioning
Jun 27, 2008

MechanicalTomPetty posted:

Maybe I'm misremembering how often they mention it, but does anyone else find it weird that everyone seems perfectly cool with calling the whole planet Etheirys now because one moon ghost and some bunnies called it that?

Slightly but considering that we're dealing a lot more with Hydalyn-the-being now it's warranted I feel.

Hellioning
Jun 27, 2008

He used his carbuncles to power his bits actually.

So either his carbuncle is dead or it is now a gun.

Hellioning
Jun 27, 2008

Man.

That's why I play on keyboard + mouse.

Hellioning
Jun 27, 2008

Yes, excellent.

Hellioning
Jun 27, 2008

jimmydalad posted:

So, spoilers for the academia comic series.

Asahi being a siscon for Yotsuyu is… a lot.

Yeah that was basically the only part I dislike, and the part that seems actively contradictory to the games just for a dumb joke.

hazardousmouse posted:

the gently caress is a siscon?

Short for 'sister complex'. It means someone who really likes their sister and wants their sister to like them. It can be a platonic familial thing, but it can also be a creepy incest thing.

Hellioning
Jun 27, 2008

SyntheticPolygon posted:

Ilberd's a hero.

It is very amusing that his fake cover plan actually worked, while all his real plan did was actively make things worse for the Ala Mhigans.

Hellioning
Jun 27, 2008

I mean to be fair Urianger's old outfit was awful.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hellioning
Jun 27, 2008

Devor posted:

Should I be bothering with retainers as a level 40 newbie? Should I do ventures with them?

If not now, when do they become meaningful?

Ventures are easy money, and you need to level retainers up to get to the good ones, so I'd start as soon as you have enough seals to buy some ventures.