Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Ytlaya posted:

I realized that there is in-game "proof" that the Warrior of Light is not a man. If the WoL - silent and stoic as they are known to be - was a man, then it does not make sense for Alphinaud to form a unique "big brother" relationship with Estinien. WoL as a sort of "big sister" figure to the twins just feels like it fits more.
what

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

vhweltall posted:

I dunno, I say things about my significant other that aren’t true when I’m pissed off. It’s still a valid exercise.

uhhhhhh

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

i understand sometimes angers flare up so im not saying anyone who calls their boyfriend dumb once when theyre mad about forgetting important legal docs or whatever is an abuser, but i would not describe it as a valid exercise and if you do it anything resembling consistently its behavior you need to correct, like, immediately. like i dont care if you get mad at squeenix about endwalker queues and this isnt an internet thing this is entirely unrelated.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

okay my initial assumption is you were saying it to your SO but also no i dont think muttering at a wall is healthy behavior

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

multijoe posted:

I don't get why this keeps happening, its a fun anime adventure game stop dragging your personal hangups into it!!
yeah lol. i can get thinking zenos is a kind of boring character but the searing hatred people have for him is weird. hes your vegeta. if you dont like vegeta whatever but if someone made 5000 posts about how they hope the next arc of dragon ball super finally takes vegeta to task id think they were a weirdo and an idiot.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

see also the multiple people who spent all of shb convinced thancred is some kind of weird sexist pick-up artist

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Eimi posted:

I dunno, with as cool as the 83 solo duty was, it was also extremely horrifying. Maybe just because I am trans and the body you are put in, while fully covered, uses male animations, it made it extremely horrifying and such a violation that I kind of hated that it doesn't faction in how you can treat him later on. Probably the single most disturbing thing that happens to your character in this game, and I hate that it's just forgotten.

wouldn't that just be him moving the way he's used to, not some kind of sex/gender thing? like the body is still gonna have muscle memory

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

my lala started as a gladiator/paladin, did heavensward as dragoon, stormblood as samurai, shadowbringers as dark knight, and was reaper in endwalker. so ig shes just extremely literal about her fighting style. 'i need to kill dragons? alright. i got beat up by a guy with a katana? alright. warrior of darkness? alright. everyone is dying? alright.'

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Tabletops posted:

yeah, no idea what the backlog for msq for the majority given the queues and people not being able to progress much during prime time. I have no idea what the playerbase of ffxiv is in terms of age groups, i assume it skews older like all mmos these days
It's hard to tell exactly, but there was a poll in Japan for 'favorite final fantasy game' that had the player-base as majority 19-30, and a poll for favorite MMO in Korea where the average FF14 player was pegged as a 27 year old woman. Both of those feel fairly accurate.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

might be worth a report in qcs/tech support? that the iphone awful app doesnt hide youtube thumbnails in spoilers

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Wingnut Ninja posted:

Anybody who's fantasia'd into a man bun and liking it? I've messed around a bit in the character creator but I haven't found a design that really grabbed me, and I'm apprehensive about potential hat impairment.
bunny boys look best if you make them look like bad boys from a romance anime i think. like someone that'd try to steal sailor moon from tuxedo mask. thats the design inspiration you should be taking.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

There's two big spikes coming:

1) Christmas.
2) When Squeenix says the queue issues are over and reopens the flood gates, ironically that will lead to longer queues as people try and get back in and such.

That said, I'd expect it to be over by January.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Mordiceius posted:

Here’s your pizza, ma’am.

oh my, i dont have enough money to pay for this, but maybe i can pay you another way

and then i give you 2000 wolf marks

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

Great to have a concise list of all the stuff they definitely should not do

lol

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

All we really know about the New World is tapirs and mamool ja. The Mamool Ja homeland in FF11 was a rainforest. So I'd expect more of a South American or Amazonian theme if we do ever go there, not a North American or Aztec theme.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

incidentally in ff11, the mamool ja were fairly competitive magically, the issue was their homeland had a massive wood-born parasite problem and few natural metals, so they had to burn down their city and rebuild it every few years. so though it looked simple, it was actually more 'efficient' than 'crude and underdeveloped.'

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

yeah, and you can make decent money off crafting even without worrying about the high-end stuff. furniture, popular glamour gears, and endgame raiding food/potions, for instance, are fairly cheap to make but basically infinite money generators. make a few of each (stacks in the food/pots case), slap them on the marketboard, give it a few days to sell, then make more. takes like 10 minutes every time.

there's also some unique glamours and titles locked behind it.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

it only takes me a few minutes every now and then like i said, and i like having money laying around. but then im someone who plays all three roles and likes having multiple glamours for each.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Bussamove posted:

“I craft so I can buy my wife nice things” is maybe one of the sweetest things I’ve ever heard regarding this game.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

spoilers for ew ending: the zenos ending is a huge resolution lol, its you who got that moment versus zenos who refuses to take that moment on its own terms and still doesnt see life as inherently valuable, just the mad scrambling of basically animals.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

mostly it just seems like there's people who wish endwalker was the story they wanted to write instead of the story the writers wanted to write. like the writers clearly love zenos and think hes a rad villain. and hes used pretty effectively in endwalker. but if you hate zenos then him being used like that is gonna annoy you. but that doesnt mean its bad you just dont like him as a personal taste thing

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

FeatherFloat posted:

(Also condolences on your favs being minor players, from what I've been able to tell you are sufficiently gay for the ladies that all this Final Fantasy Hot Dude Nonsense that everyone's crazy about is bound to leave you cold. If I have one emotional criticism to level at FFXIV is that it has not given us a female character that's as starry-eyed and romanceable as the catboy or as tsundere with history as rat grandpa.)
we had an entire beach episode with tataru
and also lyse is pretty into you, when she shows up in her new outfit at the end of stormblood there's a lot of obvious tension

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Cythereal posted:

The more erratic, weird, and, well, (and I am so sorry for using this term) anime the game gets, the less I like it.
I mean my thing is that while a lot of endwalker does play to huge emotions being projected on the sky, that's also human. its not dismissing human emotion, its amping human emotion up to the point it can take center stage even in the big plot moments.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Eh, across the whole game there's definitely characters who are portrayed as romantically interested in the WoL. It's not really 'seeing what you want to see,' it's an obvious detail of the game. Its outright textual with Aymeric, and the whole Azem thing clearly pushes some weird tension with Emet in a way that is also basically textual. And, y'know, Zenos, in his own weird way.

In terms of Endwalker specifically they don't really focus in on it that much, but across the whole game it's a pretty clear running bit that they're kind of expecting the fanbase to ship their character with some of the NPCs.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Spudd posted:

Man I didn't pick up any of that in my entrie experience of this game I thought it was more like the characters liked me because of just how insanely strong I am and how I charge head first into any problem without a care just because it's the right thing to do.

Like remoras and sharks, iunno I'm bad at this but I can axe bosses good.
tbf in some cases its pretty subtle or can be read either way but in aymeric's case thancred outright points it out and also aymeric invites you to his place for dinner and is all 'shall we indulge in some wine together' while his butler wingmans for him

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

GiantRockFromSpace posted:

I'm starting to think Cythereal would have been geniuenly happy with 1.0. Couldn't you play the MSQ as a Crafter/Gatherer back then?
theoretically but they gave up on that extremely quick, and also there were like 5 Main Story Quests in the game.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

that speech isn't really directed at the WoL, it's directed at you the player. the game's talking to you at the end of the story. and i think 'you enjoyed the video game' is a pretty reasonable thing to mandate you to feel hundreds of hours and a decade in.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

and yeah, that too. on some level the WoL kind of does have to enjoy it for the plot as written to make any sense. there's a lot of side content that happens purely because the WoL enjoys adventuring and solving conflicts. crystal tower is mandatory and its an adventure that happens entirely because the WoL heard about an adventure brewing. they smile in cutscenes whenever a long journey or a cool dungeon or whatever shows up. most of the job quests, especially the expansion ones, happen largely because the WoL is curious about something and wants to explore it. if you've ever leveled Samurai it's canonical that your WoL will grab a sword and follow an old man around just because the sword looks kind of cool.

you can say your WoL doesn't care about that stuff until you're blue in the face but even with as little of a canonical character the WoL has, they kind of do, textually.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Kyrosiris posted:

I just fundamentally disagree that "adventuring for adventuring's sake is fun" and whatever the gently caress crock of bullshit Zenos believes are the same thing. :shrug:

Zenos isn't saying they're literally the same thing, but that you and he are similarly motivated people. If someone is reward motivated, they can see a variety of rewards as suitable. Money, candy, time with people they care about, whatever. Those people would still both be reward motivated - they would see difficult tasks as work and only do them for the sake of what they get from them. Regardless of what those tasks are, what tasks they're willing to do for what rewards, they'd share that similarity.

The WoL and Zenos both don't need external motivation, they just do the things they do for the sake of the things themselves. It's not an 'ah, but you and are I the same, I am very intelligent,' it's a similar mental quality you both share. The game isn't saying 'therefore Zenos did nothing wrong, because you and he... are the same!!!' it's pointing out that small similarity between the two characters and explaining it as why Zenos felt a connection to the WoL.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

https://twitter.com/qqqqamntpppp/status/1406171441536532480/photo/1

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

iPodschun posted:

The weird thing about Bozja/Zadnor is that it is still good for leveling 80-90 rather than capping exp gain to level 71-80 rates, the way PotD caps exp gain at level 60 rates and HoH caps exp gain at level 70 rates.
This is good, though. It means new players who want to see what Bozja was like can still do that. If Bozja wasn't good for 80-90 it'd be way more dead.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

they should really make petsize a forced tutorial with how many people dont seem to know it exists

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Macaluso posted:

I mean ideally the thing that hides other player effects should hide summoner summons as well but it doesn't.

edit: Also the pet size is set to small. I need an extra small or extra extra small option. Make them minion sized

i mean they cant really do that because summons are actual entities not spell effects

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Terper posted:

Personally, I think the marvels of Syrcus were but playthings.

the empire is a cancer, and i am the barber's blade

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Badger of Basra posted:

the nier raids were boring and yoko taro is a hack
yoko taro is talented but hes also not actually the writer for the nier games

itd be like if a game had an ff14 collab with a story written by yoshi-p

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Cythereal posted:

Conversely, if they did this I might stop running alliance raid roulettes at all. I do not like raiding in this game at all, but if the roulette can be set to something quick and easy with decent rewards, I'll do that.
i also wish you would stop playing the game so it sounds like a win/win

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

A Sometimes Food posted:

Like I dunno give Amon a musical number.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TLGPTHpCqSI

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

the secret is bosses actually do die pretty quickly even in the higher end raids if people are even pretending to try.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Truth Quark posted:

Its not even that the mechanics are hard, I just don't want to have to teach half the raid how to do Dun Scaithe again for the fortieth time just to level an alt job. Its not worth my time. Either they increase the rewards from more difficult alliance raids to make it worth the effort of teaching (I don't do mentor roulette for a reason), or I'm gonna force CT over and over again.
you dont have to teach anyone anything lol

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

my political hot take is that garlemald isnt a metaphor for nazi germany but a metaphor for modern day israel. scared?