Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

TGLT
Aug 14, 2009
now that the last thread is ended, it is time to walk... to the waking sands :twisted:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TGLT
Aug 14, 2009

Chocobo posted:

Anyone have any suggestions for Endwalker alternatives until they sort out the queue issues? I was looking at meth or synthetic heroin?

Disco Elysium

TGLT
Aug 14, 2009
(Zone 1 level 88 sidequest)We really are just wrapping up every loose end huh? Some one should tell Tataru about her carbuncle.

TGLT fucked around with this message at 14:20 on Dec 11, 2021

TGLT
Aug 14, 2009
While I'm not sure calling a character who commits suicide a coward is a great idea, he's not a conspiracy theorist. He's a fascist. Part and parcel with doing horrible things to arbitrary groups of people is often the belief that it's justified because they'd do the same to you if they could. Plus he's fully bought in on the military glory poo poo.

TGLT
Aug 14, 2009

koshmar posted:

Oh yeah he was definitely a true believer, but some characters from earlier in the zone gave of some Q-Anon conspiracy nonsense with the Varis faked his death and will save us all, speaking to us through the radio beliefs I was rather poorly trying to make 2 different statements.

Huh? Radio? What's going on with that radio.

TGLT
Aug 14, 2009
(EW Healer role quest finale)Wasn't ready to tear up for Fordola but here we are.

TGLT
Aug 14, 2009

Popoto posted:

Just got done with the 87 dungeon and I'm really disappointed at the story's direction: The moment I met Meteion and she revealed she could feel and transmit emotions, I thought "this better not lead to her finding out life is sad, and so she gets sad and wants other to be sad." Then low and behold, she does. It feels really contrived. Not that Aether isn't itself problematic, just that this feels tacked on top of everything and comes out of left field as an easy way out for the writers probably having written themselves in a corner in regards to what started the apocalypse. For a small moment there I thought Meteion had witnessed some sort of cosmic horror at the end of the universe, warping her consciousness, (not saying it would have been better, but it was the impression I got from the cutscene when she receives the info) but no, it's just "things die and it's sad." I'm not done with the story, so mayhap they'll be taking this in another direction, but for now I'm really annoyed. The memory wipe, too, feels like a massive cope out.

Meteion is acting as an avatar of nihilism, it's not so much that the universe is sad but she's overwhelmed by the arbitrary meaninglessness of it. She was sent to find a grand universal answer and there is none, so she's entered a (very long) dark night of the soul. By contrast we're playing as an avatar of existentialism. We're surrounded by much the same. It's why so much of the story is about people finding ways to deal with trauma, suffering, and depression.

TGLT
Aug 14, 2009
I have finished the expansion, time to pay the screenshot tax

also I'm glad Meteion was the last boss instead of another Amaurotine again, and I'm glad she's alive. Emet's great as the final antagonist Shadowbringers because it's their society's last hurrah. By Endwalker they effectively do not exist - there's one dude bleeding out in a tower and one lady who rejected their society. Another Ascian, or the final confrontation being either Hydaelyn or Zodiark, would have been boring. With so much of the story being about finding reasons to live without some grand purpose, trying to force another fight with an extremely dead society we've moved on from would have felt wrong.

Although it was painfully obvious the moment Y'shtola did her thing that none of them were gonna die. Doubly so when I noticed G'raha's crystal bridge wasn't on the map.

TGLT
Aug 14, 2009
Man, the more I think about the finale, the more I like Meteion as a final boss. Etheirys as is and Meteion are both products of Amaurot and it's fall, and both embody its people's philosophical divergence when it died.

Theris posted:

End of MSQ (as is the quote above) Yeah when it was just Thancred and Estinien I thought "oh, :rip:, maybe" but once Y'shtola stepped up (and straight up says "btw you could totally bring us back") any tension went away. There's no way they'd off all the Scions in one swoop like that.

Didn't stop me from tearing up a bit after G'raha was gone, the full song comes in, and it's just the WoL and the twins. ...or actually crying when Alphinaud says "I have an idea" and all the the WoL gets to say to them is three variations of "no, don't :("

That leads into probably one of my biggest problems with EW. For a story that uses "nothing left unsaid" as a leitmotif, the WoL leaves a lot unsaid. The major NPCs generally don't, (especially if you unending journal every possible nighttime visitor) but the WoL doesn't have much to say back. Which I guess is consistent with how the character has always been, but still.

Yeah even knowing they were all gonna come back, I still felt some anxiety when Alphinaud and Alisaie stepped up to the plate. I was also a little annoyed when my character was shocked at the suggestion they could use Azem's crystal to bring them back, because it was my first thought the moment when Thancred disappeared. I figured we'd use it to bring back the nasty boy for one more rodeo then he'd peace out, what with his extreme "I'm about to die" energy before we got on the ship.

As for WoL leaving stuff unsaid, I think it's just a consequence of MMO design. They can't account for enough different motivations to do it total justice so it's probably better to stick with the more universal/obvious stuff. It's a shame though.

Bigger shame was not letting us hug Meteion before the last dungeon.

TGLT
Aug 14, 2009
Yeah, that's how gatherer/crafter leves worked since at least I've been playing. They just weren't as good as power leveling with the Firmament or just periodically leveling with the tribes.

TGLT
Aug 14, 2009
Correct.

It should have been three.

TGLT
Aug 14, 2009
Extremely minor early Thavnair spoilers https://twitter.com/PrognosisFFXIV/status/1470423881781596163?s=20

TGLT
Aug 14, 2009

Lord_Magmar posted:

I do feel like Endwalker is two expansions squeezed together, and that’s not necessarily a detriment (in fact I really like Endwalker, even if I think Shadowbringers was the better story). But I can see how those two separate expansions would have worked out and I don’t hate them.

I think for me the problem is Garlemald is dead. Zenos delivered the killshot when he dropped Varis, and Fandaniel helped build the tombstone. We've had two content patches, a trial series, and a whole area basically dealing with their shambling corpse of an empire and its warring remnants. I think at this point they made the right call in not having some grand final march, but instead us rolling up on a ruined city with a rotting fascism primal at its heart. edit: I just struggle to imagine what there really is left to say about the Garleans that they didn't.

TGLT
Aug 14, 2009

Admiral Joeslop posted:

I get disconnected and there is a 5k queue.

Ah, so you met Meteion

TGLT
Aug 14, 2009

Offkorn posted:

Like this bit on the moon for example where everyone is acting completely stumped as to who could possibly be sending supplies there. Do they have the memories of goldfish?

That's not true though. When the loporrits try to reveal who they collaborated with Y'shtola cuts them off and says it was the forum, and neither Urianger or Thancred are shocked. The one hitch everyone has to deal with is how you get anything to the moon because as far as anyone knows the last people who ever reached the moon were the Allagans. Sharlayans are very smart but it's not like there's a lot of visible industrialization there, plus lots of Allagan knowledge is just lost. edit: iirc I think the loporrits explain they set up the communications relay? But yeah, I feel the game made it clear it was the unspoken suspicion of the crew.

TGLT fucked around with this message at 16:08 on Dec 14, 2021

TGLT
Aug 14, 2009

Thundarr posted:

Probably a dumb question, but since shield healing is the thing I've done the least: there's no point trying to keep E.Diagnosis up on the tank at all times right? Just when they're gathering trash or for a tank buster if Haima isn't available for some reason?

While I haven't done any extreme shield healing yet, I think that's the idea yeah. In boss fights you wanna primarily rely on your various gall heals, like Kerachole, with zoe + E.Diagnosis when it's up or when you need to provide room for the regen effects to work. I've seen some people say Haima + E.Diagnosis shields stack, but I'm not sure about that. It may just be they keep the Haima buff so that'll kick in for you when the first E.Diagnosis shield breaks.

I think E.Diagnosis is better for single hit tankbusters while Haima works better if it's going to be a multi-hit. Same with E.Prognosis and panhaima for raid-wides.

TGLT
Aug 14, 2009

Devor posted:

So it's not a class-either-or thing with Chocobos, you can splash some healing, some damage?

Yeah. Just set them to free stance and they'll DPS and toss you a heal when you need one. You can eventually get all the skills too, just gotta feed them Thavnairian onions for every level past 10.

TGLT
Aug 14, 2009
I think it's when you're pulling so many mobs at once that E.Diagnosis will crack by the time you finish a Toxikon, like E.Diagnosis > Toxikon > E.Diagnosis > repeat with oGCDs weaved in, so you can keep doing AoE damage while keeping the tank alive at the same time.

Not sure if the math actually supports that but I've been doing it and haven't had too many issues with wall to walls.

TGLT
Aug 14, 2009
I started ARR thinking I was going to be a summoner, but ended up a scholar. Swapped to Astrologian in HW while leveling Warrior on the side, stayed that through ShB. Maxed out Scholar and worked on rogue and white mage post-ShB, then swapped to Sage when EW hit. I like thinking of Sage as kind of a synthesis Arcanist/Scholar and Astrologian, since a lot of Arcanist stuff is biologically oriented and Astrologian is way more mystical in nature. The Warrior stuff is obviously just for exercise since all Elezen are contractually obligated to be ripped.

I personally like to imagine he was a Rogue before starting the game though, because Arcanist college is expensive.

SirPhoebos posted:

The Zenos storyline is why I brought up the question of "do you see the WoL as their own character". Because while I liked Zenos, I could never envision my WoL liking him. I also have a habit of filling in interpersonal dialogue to liven up all the head nods. And pretty much every meeting with Zenos starting with the Menagerie had my WoL getting more and more irrate as she basically had the same reaction that all the Zenos detractors had.

So when I came to that dialogue option, all I could think was "Zenos is right, but there's no way she would admit that to him."

I felt similarly, but also I felt that the top option wasn't signifying that you liked Zenos in any real way. If you can't be honest with a soon to be dead man at the ends of the universe, when can you be?

TGLT
Aug 14, 2009

Xerophyte posted:

Yes, the various shields stack. We can stack Haima and Panhaima too, doing so saved my bacon once in T2Ex when we went in to a repeated stack aoe with 4 people alive and I managed to come out the other end alive with LB3 available.

Okay that's good to know. I had been doing it, but since I didn't sit down and test it myself I didn't want to say for sure that's how it worked. I also forgot that yeah Pneuma is a high amount of AoE healing that is probably a better candidate for Zoe.

TGLT
Aug 14, 2009

Arist posted:

Theoretically, if I used Zoe on Eukrasian Diagnosis (which I know is probably not a great idea most of the time anyway), I would be kind of screwing myself by giving myself a bigger shield to break for an Addersting charge, right?

Most tankbusters will blow right through it I think? Otherwise just sort of depends on how much damage you're anticipating they'll take within 30 seconds. edit: Now I'm curious just how big of an E.Diagnosis shield you can theoretically make.

TGLT fucked around with this message at 19:46 on Dec 14, 2021

TGLT
Aug 14, 2009
In the run up to the first dungeon, when they're dividing the group you get to point out you're also a healer. The response is that's exactly why they need you up front - you're the group's best healer. But I do wish they acknowledged the healers more than a few moments. It's like, that and I think one moment early on in Stormblood?

TGLT fucked around with this message at 19:57 on Dec 14, 2021

TGLT
Aug 14, 2009
Warrior. Inner Release isn't quite the free 5 fell cleaves it used to be, but it's still very fun (and not that much weaker) plus you get a fair bit of self healing. I'm in love with Nascent Flash and Bloodwhetting.

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

I have not even opened Miner since the expansion started and I am already level 81 in it by literally just turning in whatever loose minerals I have in my inventory whenever they're the request of the day, maybe i'll just passively level that lol

For some reason I have a lot of miner stuff but not botanist.... I guess these are all from the time I was getting zonureskin maps and they were in mining nodes...

Doing like three gatherer leves'll get you a level. Pretty easy to level both botany and mining together, and lord knows there's no other use for the leve allowances but DoH and DoL.

TGLT fucked around with this message at 22:02 on Dec 14, 2021

TGLT
Aug 14, 2009
re: Zone 5 Hermes also has some justified problems with Amaurotine society and legitimate concerns about it's future fate. And hey here's this wonderful goth bird that can force society to fix its problems or die which sounds perfect for the sad boy with a tendency to act unilaterally. It's why he rejects joining Meteion, he does want his people to live.

TGLT
Aug 14, 2009

escape mechanism posted:

The 8th Umbral Calamity Urianger describes feels much more momentous than the 7th. It’s not just a big natural calamity, it also ushers in huge sociopolitical changes. Sorry if I’m hung up about this, it’s still weird to compare the 7th UC to all the others.

Do Coils of Bahamut some time if you can. But from the Eorzean perspective it did completely alter their continent so it was significant enough to call a Calamity.

edit:

Pwnstar posted:

There's the whole thing where all societies are inherently self-destructive (including Amaurot). I can understand how it would be a proper trial for everyone not to know that and see if they can survive on their own merits. But then Hermes turns Meteion into a Weapon of Mass Destruction/Sadness who will attack with an invisible form of energy that nobody knows about that literally destroys all known laws of nature leading to mass confusion and terror. This is seeing a society teetering on the cliff edge then pushing them off and holding their head underwater. Idk, I would prefer if Hermes was just like actually gently caress everything you people don't deserve to live."

Yeah but if he lets people remember the Meteion stuff they can probably stop her before she actually gathers enough steam to be the sort of existential threat Hermes thinks is necessary, which wouldn't really be "fair". It is an extremely bad thing he is doing though.

TGLT fucked around with this message at 02:01 on Dec 15, 2021

TGLT
Aug 14, 2009

Pwnstar posted:

Btw if you are getting hit hard emotionally by some parts of the MSQ do the sidequests around those areas.

I would recommend Doll Dash in Old Sharlayan and (I think Level 88?) Sandwiches and Pretzels also in Old Sharlayan.

Most of the aether current questlines are good too.

TGLT fucked around with this message at 02:38 on Dec 15, 2021

TGLT
Aug 14, 2009
Healer. There's the obvious mechanical stuff, including the final duty, but also it's about helping Ala Mhigans heal the scars inflicted by Garlean occupation.

TGLT
Aug 14, 2009

Annath posted:

I went ahead and unlocked Reaper and Sage, but I'm not sure what to do to level them, since they're not high enough to pick up the MSQ yet.

I've not leveled lower level jobs (other than crafting), so I'm not sure how it works haha.

So the best way is probably to get them to 71 and take them to Bozja, but I don't think you unlock that until after you've finished Shadowbringers as well as the Alliance Raid series in Stormblood (Return to Ivalice).

However you can get started on unlocking the Pixie Tribe Quests, starting with the Manic Pixie Dream Realm quest, which is a pretty decent chunk of daily XP for not a lot of effort.

TGLT
Aug 14, 2009
Bozja is a poison that will destroy your brain, but it's a great way to get experience. It unlocks off of the Hail to the Queen quest in Kugane. On top of everything everyone else has said, don't be afraid to just shout LFG the moment you get into the zone even if you're only going to be around for a FATE or two. It benefits everyone to group up, and groups there form and fall apart like a lava lamp anyways.

Xad posted:

Also minor thing but all enemies in bozja have no positionals, so you always get the rear/flank bonus

I did not know that and boy that will make playing reaper there better.

TGLT
Aug 14, 2009
Southern Front is constantly jam packed actually, so you don't need to get to Zadnor. edit: The only real issue is you need to unlock the second section of the map for a constant stream of accessible FATEs to grind but that doesn't take too long.

TGLT fucked around with this message at 17:34 on Dec 15, 2021

TGLT
Aug 14, 2009

blatman posted:

i dont even know who gundam is but do you mean this?

Alphinaud recalls his nouliths asymmetrically in the trailer in a way almost certainly intended to look like this giant robot

Like I would be shocked if there isn't a dev note somewhere that describes the nouliths as fin funnels

TGLT fucked around with this message at 14:58 on Dec 17, 2021

TGLT
Aug 14, 2009
Yeah Phlegma is basically a better Dosis with splash damage. Unless you have a specific reason to stay at range you might as well get up close anyways.

TGLT
Aug 14, 2009
Phlegma has a range of 6y, Dyskrasia has a radius of 5y. I think the implication is that Phlegma is a juicy carrot to get Sages into the proper range for Dyskrasia

TGLT
Aug 14, 2009
Riding maps only take you to 1 star mount speed for those zones, but yeah I'm pretty sure flying is faster than 1 star speed in ShB and EW zones.

TGLT
Aug 14, 2009

Heroic Yoshimitsu posted:

... Where do I get better Miner gear? I guess I thought I'd be able to exchange white scrips for it, but guess not. I imagine I'll be able to exchange purple scrips for it when I get to like, 90, but I'm 83 right now.

You can trade in white scrip for the level 80 landsaint gear. It works just fine for doing Studium quests and gathering leves all the way up to 90.

TGLT
Aug 14, 2009

Offkorn posted:

a friend/FC mate who had 40 characters and used a spreadsheet/randomization process to decide which one to play on any given day

TGLT
Aug 14, 2009
I don't think there's really any reason for a level squish. The stat squish was just fine for their purposes I think.

Oxyclean posted:

But I also have no idea how they pull that off, cause it's not like they can make 6.x or the start of 7.0 mechanically new player friendly without making it really boring for veterans. Also, while they might not rely on old story hooks, it's still hard to imagine how they could create a story that doesn't lean in 2.0-6.0 at all, or at least in a way that a fresh player doesn't feel lost?

If they do let new players jump to the start of 6.x or 7.0, they could swap out the early Limsa/Ul'dah/Gridania start with some sort of new (shorter) prologue that gives them a crash course on the various mechanics and story elements they need to be aware of.

TGLT
Aug 14, 2009
ahem Gelmorra thank you very much, Gemorrah is an underground casino in the Shroud outside Gridanian jurisdiction.

TGLT
Aug 14, 2009
doing FATES as a warrior, just gathering 30 peeps to beat on me, then hitting bloodwhetting when I get low on health is incredible

I have a friend who mains Gunbreaker and I think the reflected glory of Nascent Flash has compelled them to start leveling a warrior

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TGLT
Aug 14, 2009
While I don't have any macros on hand, you can use Teamcraft to experiment with macros to find something that works fairly quickly without wasting any mats.