Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mister Olympus
Oct 31, 2011

Buzzard, Who Steals From Dead Bodies

Flavahbeast posted:

how are people liking DRG in 6.0? Mine is getting dumpstered by SMNs in the 81-90 dungeons but I dont know how much of that is the class and how much is just me being bad at drg

Bringing back the Power Surge name was honestly kind of a harbinger imo, this feels much closer to its ARR/HW state than anything previous, in that your main challenge is big logjams of double weave sequences and keeping in mind what to prioritize when a bunch of things are off cooldown at once while keeping a consistent loop of your main combos.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mister Olympus
Oct 31, 2011

nope! They're generally added in patches.

Mister Olympus
Oct 31, 2011

yeah as it turns out the biggest changes to any given class are timer based rather than the actual effect of action, that throws off your rhythm WAY more

Mister Olympus
Oct 31, 2011

Tabletops posted:

seems about right. I wonder what the NA(+europe, maybe?) pop is compared to japan. I feel like NA mmo populations tend to be mmo boomers who got hooked in the mid 2000s and never stopped chasing the high

NA is far and away the largest region (was even prior to WoW collapsing), which sucks when we have 8 servers to a DC instead of 10-11 like japan. That said, the single largest server is a JP server, but that's because it's carrying most of what will be the Materia DC's population.

Mister Olympus fucked around with this message at 04:14 on Dec 15, 2021

Mister Olympus
Oct 31, 2011

central dogma posted:

The Christian Soft Rock playing on repeat in the final zone is unfortunate. So is the Lost Prophets song in Stigma.

Bad news re the soundtrack of this game

Mister Olympus
Oct 31, 2011

Oxyclean posted:

The same way they gave Red Mage Lightning, Air, Earth and Fire magic. I don't doubt for a second they have some appropriate and esoteric suffix they can attach to "Stone"

Quake and Tornado rather than Stone and Aero, it's already there

e: or just have it in japanese, or fake-sanskrit given that's what the geomancers in swallow's compass chant in

Mister Olympus fucked around with this message at 04:59 on Dec 17, 2021

Mister Olympus
Oct 31, 2011

Endwalker is the final and absolute confirmation that they do this based on mainstat first, then role, then armor type. In this sense, you should be counting ranged as 4 with ninja in there, because it's dex mainstat/aiming rightside, not just ranged-as-role. This puts melee (str) at 4, and caster at 3, so it's going to be a caster and one other DPS, because it's likely that the pattern is DPS+cycle, where the cycle goes dps-tank-healer.

Given that provides a one-expansion gap between times that a mainstat is added to, we can figure that 7.0 will add a caster and ranged, because melee is invalidated by reaper. If I'm wrong about the cycle, caster and tank.

Mister Olympus
Oct 31, 2011

CJ posted:

It sounds like you're trying to make patterns out of a very limited history. What is the conclusive proof that they choose new classes based off their mainstat? If you have to declare that Ninja is a ranged class to fit this theory you probably need to start again.

Because they've always consistently added to the mainstat with the least representation, even when it meant that roles became overrepresented. The first instance of this before Reaper was Samurai, being the fourth melee added before a third ranged, which wouldn't make sense unless you view it as a third strength job added to balance out three of every other mainstat. Melee and caster also were the roles that had been the longest without an addition, which is the other part of the pattern. Between the two, you can see how 5.0 had to be (tank or healer)+ranged, and 6.0 had to be (other of tank or healer not in 5.0)+(melee or caster), which then leaves 7.0 as caster+(tiebreaker).

Basically, it goes like this:

1. always add things so that mainstats are balanced out

2. don't add the same role two expansions in a row

3. don't add a tank and healer in the same expansion (confirmed as word of yoshi-p in HW)

The only other thing that has yet to be confirmed as a pattern is how they handle tiebreakers and tank/healer spacing, which 7.0 will because they have no choice but to add a caster to bring everything up to 4 jobs per mainstat, then break the tie with whatever the second job is.

Mister Olympus fucked around with this message at 07:11 on Dec 17, 2021

Mister Olympus
Oct 31, 2011

that's like saying "you can't prove the alliance raid will start in 6.1 and finish in 6.5, you only have five datapoints"

this game generally does content in predictable ways and on predictable schedules

Mister Olympus
Oct 31, 2011

Samurai could have been a tank, and indeed almost was, because Dark Knight was originally conceived as Samurai, just like Machinist and Sage were separate attempts to try and make Chemist work. The fact that they almost added Samurai in the knights-and-dragons expansion, and at first considered it because it was one of the jobs the players wanted most, is relevant here too.

Mister Olympus fucked around with this message at 07:22 on Dec 17, 2021

Mister Olympus
Oct 31, 2011

blastron posted:

What’s the best way to either find an existing static or recruit for a new one? My Shadowbringers static isn’t reconvening due to scheduling issues, and I’m looking for a home for a BRD+SCH+BLM trio.

r/ffxivrecruitment and the various recruiter discords are good shots to put up on

https://discord.gg/ffxivrecruiter

Mister Olympus
Oct 31, 2011

Lord_Magmar posted:

Council Fights are real fun (WoW in general has neat boss fights for raiding, and I adore the whole journey into a place and fight your way through mixtures of bosses and trash packs to clear out a huge castle as far as raiding goes). Like, Castle Nathria may have a little too much trash but exploring it and killing the 10 bosses inside feels wonderful in a raid team of your friends. Basically imagine if you got 9-12 bosses in a single patch, in a zone equivalent to all 3 Alliance Raid zones packed together.

Council Fights in FFXIV would be workable in normal raids. The basic idea is three bosses, two can be tanked, one cannot, kill them in a certain order because when one dies the other two are buffer and fully healed. The closest I would say in FFXIV is the Dragon add phase from Nidhogg Extreme. Or the split phase from the final weeping city boss. Or the add phase in Titania.

There’s also Twin Emperor fights, which are split the raid in two to fight two bosses, keep them apart (or together) and kill them at the same time. Which FFXIV also does a bit with add phases, Ruby Weapon EX right at the start of the second phase has one. Hades EX has one during his phase transition.

are council fights standardized at 3 today? my experience with wow has them at 5-ish bosses, usually with one requiring a mage to spellsteal something, or a warlock with sl/sl spec and a resistance set or whatever, maybe one that has an aggro table but can be handled by anyone

Mister Olympus
Oct 31, 2011

I'll play reaper as soon as they put the hot shot type thing on the job gauge

Mister Olympus
Oct 31, 2011

Begemot posted:

That is on a meter, you get 5 attacks not a time limit. They already have three meters, and one of them shows two resources at once!

not overheat, hot shot. from back when hot shot used to be a self buff on the gcd with no separate cooldown, back in-

oh god is my frame of reference for machinist THAT old

e: though the example does say something, doesn't it? that death's design (finally looked at the name) is really weird and out of place with the way jobs work nowadays

Mister Olympus fucked around with this message at 08:20 on Dec 23, 2021

Mister Olympus
Oct 31, 2011

Materia, on the other hand, is only ever going to get higher as people chew through it to pentameld. I think I'll do my first-slot overmelding with 8s this time, at least.

Mister Olympus
Oct 31, 2011

The thing is, if I had the capacity to be in a static, I definitely wouldn't pentameld - because a static means your rate of guaranteed gear goes way up as people stop rolling need on coffers that don't contribute to their static job, at least until everyone is geared. People will never stop rolling need on coffers in PF, so I have to assume it'll take at least the max amount of weeks since clearing to get all my gear from the books.

On dragoon and keybinds:

setting aside unorthodox placement, you can see the logic: combos go in a little line such that everything is pressed in order. the rows for buffs and damage each go in opener order, or at least what was opener order in shadowbringers. learning dragoon from the ground up now, i'd say to sequence it differently so that, again, each "track" is on its own line of timing.

Mister Olympus
Oct 31, 2011

Badger of Basra posted:

What keys do you use for movement?

Transpose WASD to PL:"

Camera movement is handled with thumbs on a trackpad

this enables me to raid at times when I only have a laptop and no desk

also precision movement and memey safespots are easier when your more capable hand is on movement

Mister Olympus fucked around with this message at 22:56 on Dec 23, 2021

Mister Olympus
Oct 31, 2011

Tamba posted:

Can you cheat the tower with the resper teleport now? (Place portal, try jump, teleport back)

placing the portal requires yeeting yourself in a direction already so no

however this sounds really fun to do once you're actually on top, someone please try this

Mister Olympus
Oct 31, 2011

based on my experience with movement abilities and walls in this game, I don't think so--you'd need to hit it at an extremely precise 90 degree angle to not slide off in one direction or another.

Mister Olympus
Oct 31, 2011

Saint Freak posted:

Lol, got Wanderer's today for lldr and we killed the first boss in ~6 gcds. The other bosses didn't take much more either. Not sure what the hell happened with the squish there, or if there's just weirdness on the two dpses we had (dancer/reaper).

it's definitely dancer/reaper. jobs added after HW tend to have huge potency available to them at level 50 and under

Mister Olympus
Oct 31, 2011

Mordiceius posted:

Also people forget how much of a drag and disappointing the Ul'dah/Raubahn stuff is in 3.0.

warriors of darkness was a pretty big "okay, where is this going? is this just here to find a really elaborate way to put minfilia on a bus?" in the moment, without all of shadowbringers to look forward to

there were just fewer people playing HW patch-to-patch, and more people on SB1 patch-to-patch, so the same sensation of "when does this pay off?" that both patch stories had got magnified way more in the latter and stuck around as a community meme.

really it isn't until shadowbringers itself that literally everything gets tied in and back together and you got to see the picture that no, it actually has been a unified story since ARR, it just took a while to get there

Mister Olympus fucked around with this message at 08:42 on Dec 26, 2021

Mister Olympus
Oct 31, 2011

CJ posted:

The game definitely has a pattern of setting stuff up for the expansion after in the post patches. Yugiri and the Doma stuff is in 2.x, WoD is 3.4, i can't remember if there's anything Endwalker in the 4.x though.

I think it's probably around the time that they are writing the story so they can seed some stuff to set it up. I don't believe that they had it all planned out from the start though except in very very broad strokes.

Gearhead posted:

I feel like the Seat of Azem reveal in 5.x is a gift that will just keep on giving in this story. I'm still finding little Easter eggs they seem to have put in the environment from the very start tracing back to that. The big thing about 4.x was probably the Light = Stasis and 'stagnant aether' plot, setting up a change in how we saw the cosmology of the setting.

the entire Azim Steppe business about reincarnation and grandma's prophecies was super on the nose in retrospect, down to the location itself

Mister Olympus
Oct 31, 2011

cheetah7071 posted:

I know they've said they regret having the summoner story line be specifically about the abilities you're learning, because it means certain abilities have to come at certain levels no matter how much the class is reworked

which is weird because they kind of do this regardless? Not necessarily to the same degree, but they have this focus on keeping abilities introduced within an expansion, to that expansion. Chakra being pushed to ARR is a notable exception because it's such a new thing.

I think a lot of peoples' rough time starting the game would be evened out if they were willing to switch to one ability/trait every 3 levels or so, instead of maybe one every 5 for 1-50 then one every 2 from 50-90.

Mister Olympus
Oct 31, 2011

Charles Get-Out posted:

My entire raid group cares a lot about the story, and we've got some triple ultimate people too. Also Coil story was what got me into raiding way back when.

I don't really know any raiders who don't pay attention honestly.

i knew one back in HW but he was also revealed to be a botter so he didn't care about gameplay either

Mister Olympus
Oct 31, 2011

Fiye posted:

Yes they do. They'll usually call out what PUG strat they're using and what part of the fight they're at. Fun terms include stuff like 'E8S Ilya', E9S Happy Tethers, or E12S Line lions. Joonbob does FANTASTIC visual guides on strats that become popular.

Edit: Pug strats are also usually not the most refined way of doing a mechanic. Usually Pug strats are whatever works Week 1 and doesn't require some 5head uptime for clearing but sometimes things can change. (e.g. E8S people started doing Knockback Mirrors which took me a few pulls to get the timing down after having the fight on farm.)

that was such a wild tier. i knocked out e7 week 1, felt like everything was way too easy then i had to actually give up and find a static for clearing e8, that was such a huge jump in difficulty. biggest jump between floors i can remember since hw launch. t9 probably felt similar.

Mister Olympus
Oct 31, 2011

I've always drifted in and out of statics tier by tier, so sometimes I would start prog with a static then PFed on my own time after-hours and ended up clearing on PF weeks before the static. Other times, like Verse, I had to give up on PF midway through. Over time I've gotten less and less consistent in being able to do those hours all the time, so PF has become the answer. Even then, a consistent long-term static is a much rarer thing than all that, in my experience.

Mister Olympus
Oct 31, 2011

no, they only got eureka "right" by the third or fourth zones depending on who you ask, and even then the elemental system holds it back

Mister Olympus
Oct 31, 2011

they skipped announcing qitari for shadowbringers in that fanfest too, because "the first's version of qiqirn" probably weren't notable enough compared to "lalafell are a beast tribe here" and the existence of fairies

i think the reason they didn't announce the third in endwalker is the same reason they only showed concept art for a certain zone - any amount of actual detail would have been a HUGE spoiler as to what the expansion would do.

Mister Olympus
Oct 31, 2011

the lance charge change and addition of the 90 skill also seriously spiked the job's APM. I've said it before, but it feels a lot like it did in HW now, where you constantly have logjams of off-globals but all you really need to do is memorize the correct sequence.

Mister Olympus
Oct 31, 2011

Vermain posted:

I'm honestly a little surprised Gilgamesh is beating out Balmung and Cactuar in terms of population numbers. We got none of the big streamer surge from earlier in the year (beyond the whole "on the same DC" thing), and there's not much point being on it directly besides being in a raiding FC.

Honestly, legacy stats impact this. There was a point in time for much of HW where if you wanted to raid at all in NA servers, you were probably going to have to transfer to Gilgamesh, and even though that's no longer the case, a lot of people likely found FCs there and just didn't transfer back.

Mister Olympus
Oct 31, 2011

The thing with eureka is that all these helpful things were patched in later which is no help if you already burnt out with it when Pagos was current and everything was poo poo

The formula must have been different back then because i remember people insisting on 5/0 or you do NO damage at ALL

Mister Olympus
Oct 31, 2011

Kagaya Homoraisan posted:

i did the challenge log this week and got 4 and a half levels. it is insane that no one can just say "i didnt have as much fun in eureka as in bozja" without also just making poo poo up. it happens every single time lol.

i didn't have as much fun in eureka as in bozja, as i only did both as they came out and never went back to either in future patches, and it took them a long time to fix eureka whereas bozja came in the state that eureka is in now, when it released

Mister Olympus
Oct 31, 2011

I would expect a bigger set of changes in a 6.05, if they’re coming. Performance in savage will tell the team a lot about balance.

Mister Olympus
Oct 31, 2011

UCOB world race was also really wild because it was basically done at a normal player's prog pace. People only took two days of PTO for it, expecting that would be all it needed, because nobody had a sense of what Ultimate was like at that point.

Sinteres posted:

I don't do savage raids, so I guess my perspective is warped relative to what the main focus of balancing is. Even aside from balance between tanks though, it just feels like the amount of self-sustain they have undermines importance of the healer role a bit, as some posts here have indicated (though healers might be fine with that).

the thing is, the tank problems are really just in dungeons, which shouldn't be the balance priority. relative to each other, the tanks are pretty reasonable in any situation where you're not taking 20 autoattacks at once from 20 different targets.

it's the same with the melee problems, numbers are mostly okay, it's more an issue of gamefeel. dragoon feels like it's doing a lot more work for less gain compared to reaper, even though when the work is done well, it's right up there. similar to the problems ninja has always had, really.

Mister Olympus fucked around with this message at 04:37 on Jan 5, 2022

Mister Olympus
Oct 31, 2011

Harrow posted:

Do PF groups for learning savage fights usually stick around for a good while? I've never been that interested in doing savage before but these look fun, and unfortunately I probably won't be playing enough to dive in for a little bit. Mostly wondering if I try in a month or two if there'll still be people in PF learning fights or if most people will have either gotten their clears or moved onto something else by then.

This is all assuming I don't stick one toe into the PF waters and immediately bolt in the other direction, of course.

learning groups do stay around, but player quality in learning groups will experience a pretty sharp drop after about a month and a half. it's still doable, just more of a crapshoot. a good bet is to get people who have cleared to help, or at least learn alongside a few consistent people you can communicate with, but not a full static.

Mister Olympus
Oct 31, 2011

Harrow posted:

Definitely not opposed to bringing in people who have cleared if they feel like helping so I suppose I'll ask around the goon FCs/Discord when the time comes.

Either that or light a fire under my rear end and try to get into it in the next couple weeks, I guess. Part of it is that I don't have a ton of gil so the prospect of buying a bunch of crafted gear and then trying to pentameld it so I can contribute the way I should right now is pretty daunting.

if you've been funneling all your gear from normals into your main job, you should be just about on par with a non-pentameld crafted by now (after this week's clears), which is certainly enough. pentamelding isn't as big of a gain is all that, the most important thing is to match item level in order to have as much HP as possible to survive mechanics.

Mister Olympus
Oct 31, 2011

there is no pug strat currently, people are occupied arguing about temperature and nobody wants to move out for single chains even if they're a caster

Mister Olympus
Oct 31, 2011

definitely my favorite first floor in a long time. it's going to be a hard wall for mechanics-brain in PF, though, at least until people have enough gear to carry through it.

Mister Olympus
Oct 31, 2011

on further reflection p1 isn't going to be as bad as e9 week to week, but it sure felt as bad in terms of people Not Getting It

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mister Olympus
Oct 31, 2011

There’s a general recruitment discord as well.

https://discord.gg/ffxivrecruiter

I’m going to say that if recruiting is too uphill, don’t be afraid to PF. It’s a different experience with different stressors, not worse.