Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream
Estinien is hottest boy. This is 1st Page so it's canon.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Also to not lose the AST discussion from last thread

quote:

Exaltation is a better shield than NOCT ASt ever got. Between it and 2 stacks if intercession you are a better shield healer now than you were with a shield stance.

AStrodyne's buffs also mean you never ever worry about MP any more and can occasionally get raging strikes on yourself or heal more while also getting presence of mind. I don't like it better than Original AST (RIP My buttons to extend buffs with) but this is am much much better place now than it has been since ShB dropped.

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

MechaX posted:

So I got up to 72 with Sage and did a few low level dungeons and a few Holminster Switch runs. I... think I like this class, but I also feel like I have a lot to learn about it.

It essentially having a Dark Arts button is weird to me, but not necessarily clunky (well, I dunno, needing 2 GCDs to put out your basic shield does feel like a little much in a clutch situation).

It's not 2 GCDs. Setting up the gate is a mudra style button with a 1 second GCD to follow and since the Eukrasian spells are all instant cast it's actually the same amount of time. Hell depending on how little you're prioritizing Sp. Speed it might be faster. It's just two inputs over one. I guess technically it's 2 GCDs but it's not actually as long as 2 GCDs at all and you have so much OGCD buttons to mash it being essentially 1 second longer GCD isn't really felt at all.

ImpAtom posted:

Sage doesn't have as much in the way of instant make HP go up tons but it has so many high power shield options that you can afford to be a little slower because the enemy has to slowly chunk through what you do throw on which means your absurdly powerful HoTs or insta-heals or even your lame-rear end standard heal can do work, and of course any DPSing you do contributes as well.

It's core class feature and meter is all about spending for 3 short cd OGCDs that make HP go big up what are you talking about? It's got more instant HP go Up than it does shields.

ZenMasterBullshit fucked around with this message at 06:32 on Dec 11, 2021

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

vhweltall posted:

I dunno, I say things about my significant other that aren’t true when I’m pissed off. It’s still a valid exercise.

You sound like you suck.

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Cephas posted:

I just hit the level 87 quests. About how many more hours of MSQ plot are there?

Several.

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

So one of the 'beast tribes' for this expac are definitely going to be (EX dungeon and final zone spoilers):The bar at the end of existance, right?

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Regy Rusty posted:

Maybe. Could also be custom deliveries. There's definitely gonna be something though since there's the option to find out more about ancient civilizations that only has one choice so far.

Okay but if they're the crafting one you get to help set up a weird little town by crafting all the things they need to run a cafe

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Barreft posted:

Trying not to spoil anything, but the zone you're in around 86-87 is so drat boring. Back and forth between flowers for the last 5 hours. story is great, quests are terrible so far.

Just that zone I mean. I've loved everything else and couldn't stop playing. But the last two nights here ooof I log out early and play switch

The quests are the story though?

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

central dogma posted:

The Christian Soft Rock playing on repeat in the final zone is unfortunate. So is the Lost Prophets song in Stigma.

Central dogshit.

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

I spent 2 and a half hours trying to log in, went straight to roulettes to farm tomes for EX fights this weekend, got through all but the last 2 mins of a PVP roulette and the servers died.

Holy loving poo poo I got combo'd.

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

I just wanted to gear for EX learning this weekend. Yoshi P please...

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

They took all the dots from SMN so they can put them on Greenmage who will have small debuffs and dots.

acumen posted:

I wouldn't mind if they instead just smoothed out the skill acquisition (aoe at 45? come on) or cleaned up the 1-50 stretch/tutorial instead.

More classes are cool too though

Things die so fast from single target poo poo in the ARR level poo poo even with the stat crunch. Giving you aoe earlier would make getting them in roulette even more brain dead.

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Waffleman_ posted:

They died. You killed them in the Eulmore duty.

it's a new set but the colors are swapped on who stands on the left and who stands on the right.

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

CJ posted:

I don't like this narrative that they have to stop selling the game because it's just so popular, when it's more that their login server is so badly coded that it has to throttle logins and randomly resets your connection every 15 minutes.

your point would make sense if the issue of literally just not having enough server space to accommodate the playerbase they already have in this new wave, let alone adding more. even if the queue system was absolutely flawless this would still be the core big issue that needs resolving. Hence the idea that it's too popular and growing faster than that can physically keep up with at the moment.

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

theironjef posted:

Oh yeah! For some reason I had it in my head those were water shurikens. Ninja just does everything but air, I guess.

They do air with the new Bunshin capper thing. You summon up a big gale and shoot your clone forward with it. Also Huton is wind themed, what with the animation and the meter being a big rear end pinwheel.

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Valentin posted:

for sage, what purpose does phlegma serve in your single-target rotation? i mean, phlegma balls, obviously, but the close-in instant-cast AOE doesn't have an obvious role in the rotation, but it's also definitely too much free potency to leave on the table. is it for movement? bonus damage i should just drop in whenever possible?

Read the tooltip and look at the potency numbers compared to Dosis.

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Thundarr posted:

It would be nice if Phlegma had a longer range, but at least that's one way to encourage healers to get up close rather than standing out in Kansas.

If you expect movement is coming up soon you can hold the charges, but otherwise use them as you get them.

It's because your base aoe is untargetted centered on you so you can dos while targeting your tank to watch to levels. Phlegma being close range just makes it run smoother.

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Valentin posted:

I don't see how this follows? Phlegma would run fit equally well in the AOE rotation if it were doable at a distance, too, it just wouldn't mean you also have to run up as part of the single target.

Anyways yeah it seems like it's mostly just meant to ensure you stay in near the boss so your AOE heals hit more people, which makes sense. I was just surprised because I can't think of any other class that has that kind of drastic range difference within a rotation that doesn't also have a built-in gap closer to help with the movement (SMN Ifrit, RDM melee combo).

Except you already have a button to instantly teleport to an enemy or your tank so dpsing on the run in is pointless. It is then Better to encourage you to get in and stay in as your aoe spell wants you to be then to not so thats why it's 1 yard longer range than your aoe spell.

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

You don't fly faster in ARR zones it's just that ARR are tiny tiny little hallways that were designed for the normal run speed and not the massive open air nightmare fields laters zones are so it feels faster.

Seriously I think you can fit all the La Noscea maps into the Sea of Clouds zone.

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Kyrosiris posted:

Studium quests are fine but god don't waste leves on gathering when you could use those for crafters when collectables are just as fast and give something useful (scrip).

Collectables are only just as fast around level 86-87 when you have enough to do an actual run around the world instead of waiting for the 1-2 you have available. It takes like 3 leves/level to get over the humps the studium quests leave you in. It's fine to use them for gathering.

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

Great to have a concise list of all the stuff they definitely should not do

I dunno, I think having an expac about FauxEuropeans from Eorzea coming the new world and the evil empire being aztec themed would be fine and not have any hilariously lovely connotations given real world history.

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Tabletops posted:

is there much point to leveling crafting stuff besides just making the numbers bigger on your class page?

Being able to make your own crafted gear when it drops, housing items, music rolls, potions and foods for raiding, they all have their own storylines and casts of characters like the combat classes.

It's fun!

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Cythereal posted:

I have Walked the End, and never have I seen a story that has so many good moments yet is so relentlessly determined to piss it away. What a loving mess of an expansion, and I can't believe this is the same team that did Shadowbringers.

Honestly they should put this post on the box art.

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Pwnstar posted:

Just remembered when you first get to the Great Work and all the alchemists are lying unconscious on the ground. You think something bad happened but they just didn't have any work to do so they went to sleep together on the grass.

Then when they wake up they bully Estinien

That town is a bunch of freaks.

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Sunday Morning posted:

90 trial Zenos' line when he showed up at the end dispelled any annoyances that he was still around. "Is this your prey? Why does it still live?" is possibly one of my favorite lines in the whole game. I just started cracking up.

I said this before but it's an all timer

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Cythereal posted:

On the other hand, I audibly reacted "gently caress off! I'm trying to have an emotional moment here!" at that bit.

To me, the only really satisfying way to end with that character would have been to ignore him and walk away. I hated that even picking answer 2, I was still forced into a fight with him after what should have been the whole climax of the story.

It's the first time I've ever felt the need to skip the game's credits because I was that angry at the game.

That would be both narratively unsatisfying and very very stupid given what happened last time he was left to walk around and tried to get you attention.

He's much like the primals, you can't just let them sit around because they do damage by their very nature.

Basically what you want would be a bad story both from a textual and meta textual point of view

ZenMasterBullshit fucked around with this message at 15:30 on Dec 20, 2021

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Cythereal posted:

And I'm pretty sure that my reaction to the fifth zone wasn't supposed to be "This place is an atrocity and these people had it coming."

Yeah you have a very bad read in general.

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Endorph posted:

that speech isn't really directed at the WoL, it's directed at you the player. the game's talking to you at the end of the story. and i think 'you enjoyed the video game' is a pretty reasonable thing to mandate you to feel hundreds of hours and a decade in.

Yeah like 3 different people ask you the player this specifically to hammer this bit home. It's a little self congratulatory but you get it frok m 3 different directions and world views. Venat asks you about if you enjoyed the world the travel the people. Zenos asks if you found validation I'm the trials the challenge the constant struggle to achieve and grow from adversery. It's very good

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Making a called shot here

Almost every relic set has some connections to R-A-H and we're finally actually there so this time......they're all going to be made by the Eorzea guilds. that's right, all those losers are coming in to make the biggest best weapon for you.

Get bonus cutscenes based on how far you've done the questlines

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Regy Rusty posted:

I just hope this time Gerolt finally pays off his debt. :shobon:

His debts not even real, Rowenna's just making poo poo up so she can keep him where she can find him because they're both too cowardly to admit they still love one another and she's hoping he breaks first.

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Regy Rusty posted:

Are you saying Rowenna would do that

Just go right out there and tell lies???

Lord_Magmar posted:

Isn’t he also in turn aware his debt isn’t real?

This time....this time they'll finally just smooch and we will be free of this tyranny.

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Arist posted:

I really don't understand the argument that Alliance Duty Roulette's rewards are too low to make non-Crystal Tower raids worth it.

The SB and SB raids are just longer already and then the fights are still pubby slayers ao it goes on even longer and yet still gets the same rewards as the significantly shorter and easier CT series. It's not worth the stress to do the rest and since the while point of the roulette is to bribe more experienced players with rewards to redo content over and over that's a failure on the roulette.

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

multijoe posted:

I've just cracked open Astro after clearing the campaign on Gunbreaker and am I missing something or is there no way to guarantee three seal hands now Sleeve Draw is gone? Which is turn makes getting the juicy PoM tier of Astrodyne pure RNG? Why would they do this, has our job not suffered enough?

There's no way to but it's almost impossible to not get at least 2 so you get the recast speed and mana regen every 3 draws which means mp is never an issue and you still get a boost to DPS by just casting faster and more.

It's still gotta have some RNG element to it, that's part of the whole class fantasy.

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

multijoe posted:

It's class theme is manipulating fate though and sleeve draw was you literally stacking the deck to get your prefered outcome, I don't know how it works out from high-level raiding perspective but not being able to do your best combo because they reintroduced RNG you previously had a way to mitigate feels rough

No it's not. The entire point of sleeve draw was that it's the one thing that was just you saying 'gently caress it!' and cheating fate instead of playing along with it. It's why it was the capstone long cooldown ability added an entire expac after the class came out. The class has always had an RNG aspect and now it's where on average you're doing fine with the low chance to get something bad and the low chance to do better than average. If it was about just always being about manipulating fate it wouldn't have the RNG you'd just get the biggest possible buff constantly. Shadowbringers was thee outlier but that's because the buff you got for getting the best combo was...kind of dogshit (3 min cd for a 6% damage buff originally) and getting an even worse version sucked even harder because the ShB version of cards was incredibly bad. Your biggest utility is now guaranteed now and the personal buff is much much better on average and bad rolls compared to the old one so the RNG got less guaranteed.

ZenMasterBullshit fucked around with this message at 21:15 on Dec 24, 2021

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Axel Serenity posted:

SGE at 90 is incredibly fun but, yeah, wall pulling is definitely not a good look at how it handles in "serious" raiding environments.

Doesn't help that many tanks right now are just godawful. The last tunnel of the first EW dungeon is absolute hell on my SGE at the moment because so many DRKs think they can just do it like normal with like half our CDs up from the previous boss. Fun fact: they cannot.

I would rather chainrun the Expert dungeons all day than handle that alley. The 90's are considerably easier on both SGE and for the tanks than the first two dungeons.

SGE is perfectly fine wall to wall IF your tank knows what a loving Cooldown is and not to just slap all of them on all at once. I've had runs with GNB where I never had to GCD heal them in pulls and runs where I was stuck down to Diagnosis spam because they just wouldn't stop taking damage.

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Also tank are afraid to press their immunity buttons in pulls for some reason.

As a GNB player I mean this as honestly and helpfully as possible. DOn't be afraid to shoot yourself in a wall to wall if you're low.

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

cheetah7071 posted:

I wouldn't be worried about that tbh. Bosses hit way less hard than trash and both healers and tanks should be saving CDs for the last third of the boss hp bar or so

You say that then pubbies just bathe in AoEs and force me to anyway.

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Vermain posted:

The fact that SGE's initial leveling dungeon range is 71-79 will end up leaving new healers with a sour taste in their mouth. Even for experienced healers, it can be a truly nightmare experience because of how difficult certain pulls are, especially when neither you nor the tank are downscaled for that dungeon's range. 80+ is mostly smooth sailing, since you have access to both Panhaima and Haima and can alternate between the two on large pulls.

The Sacred soil equivalent needs to have the regen at a much lower level. Or makes physis lower level. Either one would make that 60 to 80 range less stressful.

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Thundarr posted:

I'm that schmuck who leveled Sage 71-80 in Zadnor, but I imagine the dungeon trash pulls in that range go something like

Pull 1: Haima
Pull 2: use everything

Haifa, kardia boost, dps like a devil and then through out your ogcd heals that also have dr and if your dps and tanks are good shits dead by then.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

sirtommygunn posted:

This isn't even some "ends justify the means" bullshit, it's just complete nonsense. The most generous possible reading I could give is that it's some mental gymnastics to justify her need for power as some selfless act. But the story thus far has proven that she was completely wrong, that her evil only created even worse ends for her people. Oh but she feels bad about having to see a small fraction of the atrocities her pet stormtrooper unit carried out, and she helped us fight a primal with her unique gift that was only made possible by killing hundreds of her countrymen so I guess we should thank the little nazi! Holy poo poo, I loving hate this.

The guy says "This doesn't absolved you of your crimes, but thank you for saving us this day." and she then goes on to basically be one woman suicide squad for dealing with poo poo no one else but her and one other prominent Ala Mhigan can deal with at the moment wearing a collar made to immolate her if she acts up or tries to escape.

The game in no way forgets her past sins nor are the reasoning of the people you're freaking out about who thanks her unexplored or not thought through. You're having a breakdown about something the game is explicitly doing the opposite of.

In fact, they spend a good bit of the patches and then poo poo in later expacs talking about this poo poo specifically.

ZenMasterBullshit fucked around with this message at 07:02 on Dec 26, 2021