Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MechaX
Nov 19, 2011

"Let's be positive! Let's start a fire!"
Endwalker is good and is a reminder to me that, especially in light of the queue situation, FF14 and its dev team is good despite Square-Enix, not necessarily because of it

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MechaX
Nov 19, 2011

So I got up to 72 with Sage and did a few low level dungeons and a few Holminster Switch runs. I... think I like this class, but I also feel like I have a lot to learn about it.

It essentially having a Dark Arts button is weird to me, but not necessarily clunky (well, I dunno, needing 2 GCDs to put out your basic shield does feel like a little much in a clutch situation). But the few runs I did seem to really, really depend on how much the tank liked cooldowns. There was one tank who just melted in the big first pull in Holminster, while I had another one that rotated cooldowns and it was fine. I guess given how many Instant buttons this class have, you shouldn't really be shying away from using most of them even in mob situations right? Like I blow that 30 sec party-wide damage reduction ability like it's going out of style. But if the tank starts getting low in health, I've found it pretty difficult to get them back into a position where I can start DPSing again (I am too used to WHM just having a "you get one free pass" full health button). Hell, even as Scholar, Emergency Tactics + Adlo healed for some chunky amounts of HP in an absolute clutch; I don't seem to have a clutch heal button for Sage and I find myself needing to stay on top of everything at all times.

But man, the feeling when an enemy does a party-wide attack but you timed your shields and buffs just right where it does almost zero damage... that's the kind of feeling that is going to keep me playing this class.

MechaX
Nov 19, 2011

Tamba posted:

I vote that this becomes the Screenshot Moment instead

(final Endwalker MSQ

Well, I can't say I have that specific screenshot, but I do have this:

I also absolutely do not regret this dialogue choice.

MechaX
Nov 19, 2011

I wish there was a way to make my summons even larger than large

MechaX
Nov 19, 2011

I feel like with no real way the queues are getting better, but only worse, and I would like to at least be able to play this after work to unwind, I feel like I should just be starting on a tank just for the quick duty queues at this point. DPS wait times are still rather rough.

This brings me to my next subject; holy gently caress you Warriors are eating for real in this patch. It took me a minute to realize that Nascent is now your Darkest Night equivalent and Bloodwhetting seems like it's real, real good in general.

Can't wait to get Fellest Cleave at 90

MechaX
Nov 19, 2011

I have acquired the chainsaw axe from the 83 dungeon

Yep, WAR has the best weapon ever now, I have spoken

MechaX
Nov 19, 2011

Spudd posted:

Expansion was good but I didn't feel any romantic tension at all from any of the characters. Maybe I'm just a dude who's bad at subtlety?

In one mid-expansion scene where you could pick who was visiting you in the night, I picked Y’shtola because I figured if she would drop any major romance vibes, it would be there. Instead she heavily flexes her Mom energy again, but I only had myself to blame for that one

MechaX
Nov 19, 2011

Cythereal posted:

And it's easily my least favorite part of the game. Shadowbringers and Endwalker have started to legitimately frustrate me with their difficulty. My group finally got the last EW trial down with about ten minutes left on the clock.

I think it's why I've taken such a shine to the crafting beast tribes. No fighting (except for the ixal ones), no battles, just making things and helping people.

So wait is your problem just with trials or combat in general in the game? Why would you spend at minimum 300 hours on a game with probably 70% of stuff that you dislike?

MechaX
Nov 19, 2011

Mr. Nice! posted:

I still hold that if you didn't get the smirking response you answered incorrectly.

the unsundered version of the WoL jumped into an active volcano to save some grapes and I felt that kinda checked out. The sundered version of the WoL for me hours ago did poo poo like throwing sleep bombs to subdue feral books just for the sake of helping a random passerby. And me, the player is up at 3am on a Monday before work playing a video game that I have spent several thousand hours in since 2013. For me personally, I was 1:1 there with my WoL; the first option was the only choice for me.

MechaX
Nov 19, 2011

Captain Oblivious posted:

Why are we still taking "they did it for grapes" at face value when the literal story itself makes fun of Elidibus for believing such an obviously tongue in cheek answer.

He is an Actual Factual Child idolizing Azem too much to take it for the evasion that it is and Emet all but says as much!

I mean, our sundered version dove into an active volcano just because a talking animal dared us into doing it, so it isn’t even the worst reason Azem has ever had for doing this

MechaX
Nov 19, 2011

I said come in! posted:

the new grapes dont even look good still.

It’s not like Lightning Returns Dog bad, but it still looks pretty bad lmao

MechaX
Nov 19, 2011

Badger of Basra posted:

they are wrong but uh

Yeah that poster’s response is… intense for sure (like, I dunno about calling then pieces of poo poo over this), but even in the context of this video game, one has to be “I’m going to game the system and i really don’t care what at minimum 1 and at maximum 23 people want” at least to even be in this position and both of their examples is on that “gently caress the inconvenience it’ll cause, some one will take care of it and it’s not my problem” energy, so I can’t say they are *entirely* off the mark

MechaX fucked around with this message at 19:57 on Dec 22, 2021

MechaX
Nov 19, 2011

Bardam’s is usually fine for me in roulette unless I’m healer. If I’m on healer, I always have the luck of getting the tank who wants to pull enemies up to the boss door yet they’re armed in a dinner cloth and butter knife and never uses any cooldown ever

MechaX
Nov 19, 2011

Worst 5678 Roulette is either Copperbell Hard or Neverreap and it is not loving close

MechaX
Nov 19, 2011

DACK FAYDEN posted:

looks cool, duh

I haven't touched blm since 80 and can't read japanese, what the heck is this rotation doing?

It’s a meme No Fire 4 rotation by a top BLM parser by skipping AF by dumping everything into Despair, that’s all, it’s like how Ice Mages can technically still do decent damage especially in comparison to an underperforming party

I had to go on The Balance to research this quickly and man, that server is still weird as gently caress sometimes

MechaX fucked around with this message at 18:23 on Dec 29, 2021

MechaX
Nov 19, 2011

I’m going through RDM for the first time since Endwalker hit

What in the world did they do to Acceleration and I don’t get the mana stack stuff if you need to complete the combo anyway to get Verholy/flare. This must have been purely for the melee AoE

Also lmao 6 manification charges loving hell

MechaX
Nov 19, 2011

Finally got BRD to 90 and it is... okay. Ladonbite is actually a button that feels good to use and Quick Nock loving sucks; should have had an upgrade to bring back Wide Volley years ago. Other than that, it plays pretty much the same as ever with a few changes (mostly for Radiant Finale purposes). I like the Shadowbite change; Shadowbite has too cool of an animation for how little you were using it in ShB.

Now trying out RDM and I'm liking it more than I thought. I was skeptical on the mana stack stuff at first, but whoever introduced this as a means of letting you use Verholy/Flare/Scorch in your AOE combo deserves a pay raise. Veraero/thunder III also has really drat good animations and I swear Displacement/Engagement were not introduced not only super low level, but actually together, before now. Again, give the people who overhauled RDM like this a raise. Acceleration was awkward but I'm getting more used to it. Melee combos at 50 instead of 80 is also an excellent decision.

I'll fully level RDM, and then BLM, but I am strongly suspecting I'll stick with the Casters + side of BRD/DRG/WAR the more I level.

MechaX
Nov 19, 2011

Bozja/Zadnor might be ugly, but a lot of those encounters are really good and fun, and honestly that’s kinda all I care about (Red Comet, CLL, DR, and Dalraida especially)

MechaX
Nov 19, 2011

Between Scattershot having the WoL rack this gigantic shotgun one-handed like the T-800 or this crisp and loud sound effect, this is a good button for MCH.

All they need to do is make Flamethrower not absolutely terrible to use and we're golden (I actually don't remember how many of Edgar's machinist moves we have left)

MechaX
Nov 19, 2011

Man, had to do the Mt. Gulg pull as a undergeared Sage (the one from the 2nd boss to the 3rd where you can pull pretty much everyone) and that poo poo was stressful as gently caress.

Am I missing something or can you really not play chicken with the tank's HP like White Mage?

MechaX
Nov 19, 2011

Danger Zone is a reference to that ancient possible meaning of the SeeD acronym right

MechaX
Nov 19, 2011

Just make Aetherial Manipulation zip you to the boss as well

Edit: oh right, 10 sec cool down is the perk and party members only tax compared to what DNC/SGE/MNK has, but I don’t care, let me slide

MechaX fucked around with this message at 21:29 on Jan 24, 2022

MechaX
Nov 19, 2011

I came in wanting to play nothing but SMN, and I do really like SMN,

But like 70% of my EXDRs and poo poo have been RDM and I was not expecting that

RDM is real good this expansion

MechaX
Nov 19, 2011

Personally, at this point I wouldn't mind if they completely axed SMN Raise (and Physick) for a couple of more attacks or actions, because it seems like they are torn between having it super easy and beginner friendly, but they still seem to want RDM as the prog-kind of class if that makes sense. SMN right now is on an excellent foundation going forward, but some stuff is a little undercooked (Besides the gap closer, Ifrit is underwhelming especially for the cast times, and they could serve to have Carbuncle do *something* in the brief period it's out). They don't have to get rid of all of the insta-casts, but it would be cool if they could put some of the casting back into the job rather than resembling a physical ranged most of the time.

Also, don't know who still actually watches Honest Game Trailers, but for what it's worth (Endwalker spoilers in here)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3t1eZPa68XU

MechaX
Nov 19, 2011

Finally got BLM to 90, wrapping up all the casters so I can finally dump the leveling gear.

BLM 80-88 is kinda boring since a lot of it is trait adjustments and you won’t be using High Fire/Blizzard outside of mobs. But Paradox is a really good button, looks nice, and finally replaces Fire I which flew aesthetically at Thamaturge levels, but not when I am making explosions. Hell, I think Paradox is unique in the sense that no other mage in the game so far has any attack like it, so it’s cool that it’s a move the WoL themselves likely created

I think from a gameplay perspective, the casters are all in good spots and are fun

MechaX
Nov 19, 2011

Starting to get a little better at getting used to SGE, although I'm probably starting to accept that in some big dick pulls the tank is probably going to die unless they try to meet me halfway with some cooldowns, because sometimes they can go down before I can even reapply E.Diagnosis (or it'll pop instantly and I already used pretty much every other resource).

MechaX
Nov 19, 2011

Hellioning posted:

I mean I don't think there's a healer that can keep a tank that doesn't use cooldowns alive through a wall to wall.

In Endwalker, probably not

But in Shadowbringers in recent memory? Man WHM could keep up a bad tank for quite awhile even without cooldowns (even when it inevitably gets down to Cure II spam) especially thanks to Thin Air and Holy being a pause button essentially

MechaX
Nov 19, 2011

Professor Beetus posted:

Good sages are great, but bad sages can be downright terrible. The first few big pulls of Holmister are spicy, but I rotated through mit while the sage just let me die. Then they accused me of not using mit and gave me sarcastic advice, so I single pulled the entire rest of the dungeon.

That Sage was probably a bit of an rear end in a top hat, but those Holminster pulls are probably the worst I have seen next to the Mt. Gulg gigapull before the 3rd boss and Anyder's gigantic basement pull. If even one DPS is bad, it's not going to be a good time for anyone involved.

MechaX
Nov 19, 2011

iPodschun posted:

The opener from The Balance has Raging Strikes (Bard's personal DPS buff) with Wanderer's Minuet on the first GCD, Empyreal Arrow and Bloodletter on second, Radiant Finale (party damage buff) and Battle Voice (party Direct Hit buff) on third GCD. Do you have a different opener or did you confuse Raging Strikes for one of the party buffs

I assumed they meant to say Radiant Finale, because you definitely don’t want to be sitting on max coda Finale for any period of time when WM comes back up and you want RS to always come first

Edit: welp, that answered that

MechaX fucked around with this message at 21:57 on Feb 18, 2022

MechaX
Nov 19, 2011

gently caress that, Ley Lines are my solo chill spot, no one is invited

MechaX
Nov 19, 2011

Kaubocks posted:

pour one out for og tg cid

a real homie, the biggest vibe check in all of stormblood

"IMPETUOUS FOOLS!"

MechaX
Nov 19, 2011

Antivehicular posted:

I'm in the same place. My understanding is that you start with Blizzard 3 to get Umbral Ice up, then Blizzard 4 to get Umbral Hearts to reduce Fire spell cost, Transpose to Astral Fire, then cast Fire 4 until there's only a few seconds of AF left (use Fire 3 to refresh), and go back to Blizzard when you're out of MP? I don't have an intuitive grasp of the timing yet, which precise spells to use (I'm assuming 3s), or where to weave in Thunder/Flare/etc. I probably just need more practice.

This was already answered in detail but to add on Transpose use, at this point you're only going to want to use Transpose to switch to Umbral phase immediately after a trash pull so your MP starts recovering pretty quickly (rather than using Lucid Dreaming)

MechaX
Nov 19, 2011

You might be able to still use an Elixir/Ether to squeeze in a fourth Flare if you really, really want to, but it's not necessary by any means

MechaX
Nov 19, 2011

Yeah, they're going to do the FFXI route and beef the gently caress out of Trusts for those who want to go that route

With that said, there's still going to be a lot of dungeons/pretty much every trial except two that are still going to require human interaction

MechaX
Nov 19, 2011

Rhonne posted:

I can't wait to see what trust companions we get for the low level dungeons.

HOARY BOULDER YOUR TIME IS NOW

MechaX
Nov 19, 2011

lmao that totorak nerf

MechaX
Nov 19, 2011

welp, there it is with MSQ roulette

such devastation

MechaX
Nov 19, 2011

Raised By Birds posted:

Give it all to 50-60-70-80 roulette. :namazu:

... yeah, i completely agree with this actually

MechaX
Nov 19, 2011

Waffleman_ posted:

It's not gonna be like

a massive graphix update.

A graphics upgrade is nice, but some people want like 8k ray tracing Horizon Forbidden West 60 fps poo poo and it's like, uh

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MechaX
Nov 19, 2011

wait hold on did aimi just call him derplander officially