Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Endwalker........ is good

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

MadFriarAvelyn posted:

Next up to level is Gunbreaker and the one-button Gnashing Fang combo is the best thing in the world and really helped clean up my hotbars.

Just wait for Hypervelocity and Double Down. Gunbreaker feels so good at 90

Harrow fucked around with this message at 22:53 on Dec 10, 2021

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

Tim Rogers is starting Final Fantasy 14...

https://twitch.tv/actionbutton

Judging by his questions he's been asking chat I don't think Tim has any idea what he's in for lmao

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

As someone who had never gotten into tanking before I found Gunbreaker the easiest to get into, though I wouldn't call it the easiest to play mechanically. That said, tanking isn't particularly complex in FFXIV, and maybe if you're purely a DPS player so far, something with a more involved/faster-paced DPS rotation might be just the hook you need?

As for healers, definitely White Mage. It's the "big heal numbers, big holy lasers" healer without any card mechanics to juggle and with plenty of "oh poo poo" buttons for when things go sideways.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

I like to leave party spell effects on for dungeons though that has the unfortunate side effect of regularly blinding me whenever there's a Summoner in the group. It's like a miniature Red Mage LB3 multiple times per pull :v:

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Chillgamesh posted:

I'm like 90% sure the sword from that set is the same weapon (don't fuckin click this if you haven't finished Endwalker) Venat uses to sunder the world so thats pretty bad rear end

Yep. It's the same sword and shield Venat uses herself in Elpis.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

DanielCross posted:

I think my favorite beat about EW's story is how so many people, myself included, and at least half the streamers I've watched, were totally convinced that Hydaelyn had some ulterior motive, or was secretly evil, or something along those lines. But in the end, the worst she ever did was tell a fib about what happened between her and Zodiark when you first talk to her through Minfilia after the Antitower, and besides that one fib she's been completely on-the-level this entire time. Thank you Crystal Mom, I'm honestly very sorry I ever doubted you.

During the scene where I think Y'shtola brings up Hydaelyn's lie about her history with Zodiark I just thought "yeah, it's called a retcon Y'shtola, try to keep up"

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

This video is making me extremely hyped to level Sage :eyepop:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IPfmPEOvjTk

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

During some of the more action-packed Endwalker scenes I was thinking about how my WoL has come a long way from the nerdy bookworm Arcanist he started as, so I want to ask: what has been your progression of main job since you started FFXIV, and do you think about that as an in-story element at all or not?

For me, I started as an Arcanist because at the time I thought I only really liked playing casters and healers in MMOs, and hey, this class let me get a two-for-one deal! I focused on Scholar at max level. I then took a long break from the game for pretty much the whole duration of Heavensward (no reflection on Heavensward, I just wasn't really playing MMOs at the time) and I when I came back for the Stormblood release I picked up Red Mage and did the whole HW/StB MSQ as that. Then I tried Gunbreaker when Shadowbringers released and that's been my main ever since. It's kind of fun to think of my WoL moving further and further away from casting and more towards swording over time, yet never losing his taste for explosions.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Eimi posted:

However EW has me wanting to stick with reaper.

An odd progression overall, and I guess if I tried to make something of it, it's that I love wielding magic in some form, and like all good magical girl story arcs, there has to be an edgy phase where it's about getting up close and personal.

Reaper does seem really cool, though perhaps it is too edgy for me???

Then again I do enjoy that dork Magus from Chrono Trigger so maybe I'll just lean into that when I eventually level it.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Cythereal posted:

For me, I simply can't identify too much with the PC in this game, because the plot keeps railroading you into what I consider very stupid decisions and actions.

Ah, see, I am very stupid myself so that makes it easier to identify with the WoL.

Actually it's weird, like I very much don't see my WoL as an extension of myself, but I do see him as his own character in the story, which is probably why I can't bring myself to Fantasia into another race.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

Yeah what is the use case for Toxikon anyway? By the numbers it looks like 1 GCD for E.Diagnosis + 1 GCD for Toxikon will do less damage than 2 GCDs of Dyskrasia, so you'd wouldn't want to E.Diagnosis simply for Addersting. Is it just to keep uptime against packs of mobs when you have to move out of PBAoE range and Phlegma is on cooldown?

From what I've heard from good Sage players, yeah, it's pretty much that and also to keep some single-target DPS uptime when you have to move (since it's damage neutral on a single target but doesn't have a cast time like Dosis does). It has a different role from Afflatus Misery, basically, being more about covering movement (at least in single target) than about refunding some of your damage lost to GCD healing like WHM gets.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

This expansion (overall spoilers) turned me around on Zenos as a character entirely. I was annoyed when they brought him back from the dead because I thought he was fine in Stormblood but should've stayed dead. But then I loved the fakeout about him being the main expansion villain and his actual role in the story was both entertaining and thematically appropriate. And, in the end, he achieved the most important thing of all: he was fun.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

It is just a little bit of a shame that (89 dungeon spoilers) in a dungeon full of defeated enemies being punched out a second time, we still don't get to punch Asahi ourselves. Then again, letting him be a boss fight would be more respect than he deserves.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Cythereal posted:

I think it's part of my disconnect with the narrative. I think of my WoL as a healer first and foremost, someone here to heal and support who fights only as a last resort. Treating the WoL as an adrenaline junkie or someone who enjoys the battles that have consumed their life has not, and never will, sit well with me. I play with the idea of my WoL feeling that it takes far more strength and courage to set down your weapon than it takes to pick that weapon up.

I can understand this. Generally-speaking I think the story makes the most sense if the WoL is a tank or a melee DPS job. It does try its best to acknowledge when you're a healer, and it's not like it doesn't sense for casters or ranged DPS (Red Mage especially since it's the caster that charges into melee as well as casting), but if the WoL is a tank or melee DPS then every scene's choreography makes the most sense it can I think.

That's maybe a personal thing for me, though, but it's why I've been glad to do ShB and EW's MSQs on a tank job. The way the WoL is written, being the one on the front lines engaging directly with every enemy seems like what's narratively "expected," almost.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Venuz Patrol posted:

This was the one, best, shot at establishing some darker motivations for the WoL, and I'm so glad the writing team was willing to offer an unrepentantly unheroic option for it

Ending spoilers: I'm not sure I see that option as unheroic, necessarily, but more just an acknowledgement of the joy the WoL might find in what they're doing. I mean you can definitely take it in an unheroic fashion or play it that way if that's what makes sense for your vision of the character, too, but I think it also works in the sense of well... yeah, this has been hard. It's been a long road full of loss and pain and struggle. But it's also been the thrill of a lifetime. One way of seeing that option is the WoL acknowledging that they are an adventurer at heart, and at the end of it all, they wouldn't have it any other way.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Hogama posted:

To be honest it feels to me like healer gets, if anything, more explicit non-role story recognition than tank, if only because they treat the Warrior of Light as shitkicker prime most of the time (and all jobs can DPS), but if they need someone to bear the brunt of an attack it's generally going to be an NPC. But Hollywood Derplander does get to tank frequently, that is true.

I did like that (approx. level 88 spoilers) the big trailer moment with the WoL charging in with a shield to defend Alisaie from a monster happens almost exactly the same way in-game, except it's G'raha with the sword and shield instead of the WoL. In general I think it was fun how G'raha got to be his all-rounder Trust self in cutscenes throughout Endwalker.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Tank players, please tell me about your favorite tank job (that isn't Gunbreaker). Gunbreaker's my main and I absolutely love it but it's also the only tank I've played past like level 30 so I think it'd be fun to level another just for the hell of it.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Valentin posted:

rewatching cutscenes to refresh my understanding as I do mindless data entry as I get hype for the final zone tonight and so much is going on in this expansion that it took until a second watch for me to conclude that fandaniel is maybe conceptually the funniest character they've made for FFXIV.

Like, he doesn't really have any jokes, but (all of 83 spoilers) the reveal that he, personally, has been siphoning garlean gas tanks to make your life worse is imo the funniest throwaway line in the MSQ, and the fact that he interrupts your fight with Zenos so he can say his piece, which is literally just "hey I just want to confirm that I am still trying to kill myself and everyone else" before hurling himself into the Zodiark pit is also excellent. How often is a brief video game speech literally two sentences? Perfect character, no notes.

Yeah I was really skeptical of both Zenos and Fandaniel as major antagonists going into this expansion but I ended up loving both of their roles, and Fandaniel pulled off such a great swing between being a really hilarious troll of a villain to that grinning, laughing nihilism (that "Remember when I said I wanted to die and take everyone with me? I meant it." line absolutely slaps) to seeing his past self and feeling actual pathos for him.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

I'm hearing very good arguments for both WAR and PLD so I guess I'm gonna level both as I go :v: WAR just seems very satisfying and that's something I love about GNB with all the explosions and self-healing, so that sounds great to me, and then PLD leaning into the "protect everyone" aspect also really appeals to me (Heart of Light is one of my favorite GNB buttons to press).

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

TheWorldsaStage posted:

Followup, is it after the credits or did I miss it in the trial? I just heard the normal version in the trail and against Him.

I think I know which music from the launch trailer you're talking about. It's part of the Zodiark trial music.

Harrow fucked around with this message at 21:05 on Dec 15, 2021

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Do any of the role quests actually lean into what role they're supposed to be about? I found that the tank one didn't really feel like it had anything to do with the tank role at all and felt more like a healer role quest until the final solo duty (which, admittedly, was pretty fun I thought).

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Putting the Gunbreaker cartridge combo on one button is messing with me in a weird way that I acknowledge is very much a me problem: it's messing with my Red Mage muscle memory. I had the Gnashing Fang combo and the Red Mage melee combo on the same buttons, but now one of them is all on one button so switching back and forth between the jobs as I'm leveling RDM is scrambling my brain a little bit.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

Unlocking but not actually leveling Zadnor has been one of my biggest oversights in 6.0 prep, on par with not dealing with my belt inventory

:same:

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Galaga Galaxian posted:

Cool we’re just throwing out unobscured spoiler YouTube’s now?

Is the thumbnail showing up for you? I intentionally did it as just a URL under spoiler tags to avoid that and it doesn't embed for me when I do that. If it embedded for you I'm really sorry about that, I apparently don't know how to avoid that.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Galaga Galaxian posted:

It’s showing up on the iPhone awful app. :(

Oh gently caress it is, you're right. I'll edit it out of my post. I only looked at it on desktop :negative:

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

The Final Days... are truly upon us...

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Speaking of Interject, I was glad to see an interrupt mechanic in a dungeon boss this time around. I have no idea what True Bravery does because I’ve never let the boss cast it

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Cythereal posted:

Here's hoping for Green Mage. Champion of nature caster type is my favorite RPG archetype, and it's almost entirely absent from FF14 except for 1-30 CNJ.

That's not what "green magic" is in FF games (it's pretty much only in Ivalice games and it's protective magic like Protect, Shell, etc.), but I could see a Geomancer, though. People always mention the geomancy stuff in the AST quests but nobody can seem to agree on whether that means Geomancers will never be in FFXIV or not so I say gently caress it, add Geomancer. Geomancer's cool.

hazardousmouse posted:

ahahahaha oh no that soft rock song stays as the final zone theme even after the trial. I was expecting and hoping it was temporary

I like that song but yeah they probably should've gone back to the instrumental version after the credits.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

ImpAtom posted:

Honestly Geomancer would work just fine as an offshoot of conjuring. (Which is basically how it functions in those quests.) Any Geomancer would start at least at level 80 and by that time White Mage has gone full-on Holy Power so it wouldn't feel too weird to have a job that instead goes full on Nature Power. The only 'problem' would be that it's difficult to imagine it not as a healer based off what they already established.

Maybe they could have decent healing capabilities like Red Mage has? It'd kinda take away some of Red Mage's uniqueness though. Or instead of healing, maybe some strong buffing/support capability, like a caster take on the Dancer "lower personal DPS but boosts others' DPS" thing.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Cythereal posted:

Sages weren't drone commanders in previous games, either.

I want a nature magic class that isn't replaced by a generic holy priest at 30.

Well yeah, that's what Geomancer's for!

I'm biased, I've been rooting for Geomancer for ages

Detheros posted:

1h axe geo or no geo :colbert:

You'll wield a bell and wear pajamas and you'll like it :colbert:

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Insert name here posted:

Random 89 trial question: If you do it with trusts and have Urianger on dps what weapon does he use? Does he just go full AST deeps or something? I'm curious but don't have a healer high enough to check myself.

From videos I've seen: he's basically a mini Summoner. Switches to a book and spams Ruin spells with the occasional Dreadwyrm Trance.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

I also don't think any previously-established Geomancer canon in FFXIV through the Astrologian job quests necessarily has to affect a potential future Geomancer job. After all, they added a totally different kind of gunblade and then came up with a backstory for gunblades (including the frankly hilarious and very good detail that they predate guns and in fact guns are named after gunblades) just so that Gunbreaker can be the Squall/Seifer job instead of using Garlean gunblades. They could easily come up with another branch of Geomancy that happens to be more suited to combat magic or something.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Not nearly enough games have melee staff fighting so I would like that very much. The Monk job in FFXII uses melee staves (poles) and it's very cool.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

S.J. posted:

Just based on number counts, wouldn't the next DPS job be ranged phys anyways? Unless they added 2 DPS in the same xpac again, which is certainly possible.

Trying to predict what roles are getting jobs next is kinda tricky. It seems like caster is likely in 7.0 just because it will have been two expansions without a new caster, but after that it's hard to predict. Would they add two ranged DPS jobs in the same expansion (a caster and ranged physical)? I'm guessing probably not. Would they add a melee DPS two expansions in a row? Will it be time for a fifth tank?

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

I don't enjoy dots when they're something to manage on a class that's otherwise not really about dots (which is unfortunate because that is extremely common in FFXIV, but I've made my peace with that). I do think that actual dot-focused classes can be fun, though, when managing the dots is kinda your whole thing.

I like how GW2 handles dots: they tend to have very short durations but dots of the same type stack intensity, so you play this game where you try to stack up your dots as high as you can and keep them there. It helps that dot tick damage is shown like flying out of the enemy so you just see this fountain of burning, bleeding, torment, etc. numbers flying out of the enemy.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Yeah, the downside to consolidating armor types is that it leads to fewer new gear appearances with each set of armor released, which can be unfortunate when there are jobs that already don't get a lot of sets that really match their specific aesthetic. That said just palette-swapping armor is common enough that this might not matter as much as it seems like it would, I guess.

The upside would be concentrating the loot pool a bit so it's more so there's no more gear type that literally only matters to one job in the whole game. Of course adding more scouting jobs in the future would be another way to address that, so there are at least more jobs that care about it.

Also merging scouting and maiming would be very odd aesthetically since maiming gear so frequently takes its cues from fending. The often-armored look would be pretty dissonant with Ninja. It'd be easier to merge with striking, even if that means there are too many striking jobs.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Oxyclean posted:

e: It's kind of funny because I don't think Reaper fits very well in striking? Their starter gear is practically a cloth robe.

I think you mean maiming :v:

Anyway Reaper and Gunbreaker have similar situations with their gear, I think. Both of them use a gear type that is usually more heavily-armored than you'd expect that job to wear. For Gunbreakers, big, knightly armor doesn't quite feel right (though I do enjoy some of the more armored Gunbreaker glams I've seen), and for Reaper, it feels like they should be wearing flowing cloth robes and stuff. But then again Zenos still wears clanky armor as a Reaper so it seems to work fine, and there are still plenty of fending and maiming appearances that are lightly-armored or don't look like armor at all so its not a huge deal.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Yeah it owns how the maiming Cryptlurker gear was just straight-up made for Reaper

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Eimi posted:

Striking Cryptlurker would've been so much better for reaper. :colbert: But I personally am not super into armored looks, which makes me worried/interested in how the next few sets of maiming will look. Really the ideal solution would be once you have a class to a level where it can wear x gear, you can glamour it on all jobs. This would also save me from having to have four of every piece of jewelry.

It's all about the hood with that maiming Cryptlurker set. I can go either way on how armored Reaper should look but the hood is :discourse: