Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

I will never log offshut up.

Endwalker never came together as a coherent whole for me, even if some of the individual pieces are brilliant. However I can at least say reaper might be the most fun job.

Also the hottest dude is Emet-Selch with no competition. No idea how they managed to make him hotter but they did.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

wizardofloneliness posted:

How can you say that when Hythlodaeus exists? His dreaminess exceeds all measurements.

He's a bottom, I'm a bottom, it'd never work.

Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

cheetah7071 posted:

Now that there is an endwalker thread, we can rename the shadowbringers thread to "remember that we once posted"

:emptyquote:

Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

Edmond Dantes posted:

Back in Shadowbringers there was a meme going around that was the "2 wolves laughing at another wolf" meme but with (not a spoiler by now but eh) Hythlo, Emet and Azem's masks drawn on. Does anybody have that saved by any chance? Haven't been able to find it since.

Sadly no but I can offer this instead.

Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

I hate the new scorch sound effect, kind of drives me away, stupid as that is.

Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

I am not a fan, it sounds like some weird sci fi button press and just ruins the vibe for me. I can only hope someone makes an old rdm sound effects mod like they did for gnb.

Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

hazardousmouse posted:

huh. post thavnair post second trial
I wonder if it was the destruction of zodiark that is kicking off the emptiness or the return of the ancient souls to the sea

Hold on to your butt.

Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

Is there a melding guide out for combat classes, particularly reaper?

Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

Phenotype posted:

Finished this on Friday, loved it to death, and am still trying to collect some of my thoughts about it. It was a fantastic end to the epic, but in the end I don't think it was quite as strong as Shadowbringers, which was a much more focused plot.

The emotional climax, to me, seemed to be the journey to Elpis and getting to meet Venat as a person and seeing how she was driven to sunder the world -- that particular cutscene had me a weepy mess, along with some of the conversations there ("Has it been good? Has it been worthwhile?"). And to a lesser extent, traveling to meet Crystalmom in the present day and showing her how humanity is strong enough to find its own way, which was a great triumphant yet bittersweet moment.

Everything after that was a little bit rote -- we knew from that point that the game would end by traveling to Meteion's world and stopping the Final Days, and they did the Final Fantasy thing where the Final Boss is a character we were literally just introduced to, and it's actually a sweet, lost little girl who I imagine most of us wanted to save rather than fight. It's not the sort of thing that gives you that ultimate determined showdown like we had with Emet-Selch in Shadowbringers. And at no point did I think any of the Scions were actually going to remain dead, which made a lot of the final zone ring a little false for me (although G'raha Tia's turn to sacrifice himself did get to me a little bit.) I did love the final battle and the slow walk to the final scene, along with everything that came after it, though. I play as White Mage but my character is a big Highlander male, and it was super satisfying to see him get to beat Zenos down with his own hands.

I think you hit the nail on the head why I didn't like the ending, and left the expansion feeling unsatisfied, even though Elpis was basically my fanfiction come to life and some of the best material in the game. Thank you for it.

Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

Harrow posted:

During some of the more action-packed Endwalker scenes I was thinking about how my WoL has come a long way from the nerdy bookworm Arcanist he started as, so I want to ask: what has been your progression of main job since you started FFXIV, and do you think about that as an in-story element at all or not?

For me, I started as an Arcanist because at the time I thought I only really liked playing casters and healers in MMOs, and hey, this class let me get a two-for-one deal! I focused on Scholar at max level. I then took a long break from the game for pretty much the whole duration of Heavensward (no reflection on Heavensward, I just wasn't really playing MMOs at the time) and I when I came back for the Stormblood release I picked up Red Mage and did the whole HW/StB MSQ as that. Then I tried Gunbreaker when Shadowbringers released and that's been my main ever since. It's kind of fun to think of my WoL moving further and further away from casting and more towards swording over time, yet never losing his taste for explosions.

I never really had a main in ARR, which makes it kind of hard, I was just jumping from class to class for a while, started as a lancer, went bard, then warrior, then finally settled on black mage. All of this was basically before Second Coil came out, by then I was firmly a black mage. Of course I settled on black mage long enough for HW just to be an expansion of getting kicked in the balls. I know a lot of people now prefer the 'new' style, but I have hated enochian since it came out. It destroyed my chill fun explosion made and suddenly made it the most stressful job in the game and I have never gotten it back. SB saw me picking up samurai because I am a weeb and it felt right, though I settled on playing red mage, it was stylish, a caster, and I loved that it's rez could save the day. Stuck with it in ShB as a 'main' even if I play a lot of jobs. However EW has me wanting to stick with reaper.

An odd progression overall, and I guess if I tried to make something of it, it's that I love wielding magic in some form, and like all good magical girl story arcs, there has to be an edgy phase where it's about getting up close and personal.

Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

Regalingualius posted:

For 80-90 after completing the MSQ, does the usual “do your roulettes, then spam whatever the highest level dungeon is while loving around on the overworld” advice still apply, or is there something I’m missing?

I have heard Bozja is at least as fast to 86 if you are somehow not bored to death of that place.

Eimi fucked around with this message at 16:42 on Dec 14, 2021

Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

I dunno, with as cool as the 83 solo duty was, it was also extremely horrifying. Maybe just because I am trans and the body you are put in, while fully covered, uses male animations, it made it extremely horrifying and such a violation that I kind of hated that it doesn't faction in how you can treat him later on. Probably the single most disturbing thing that happens to your character in this game, and I hate that it's just forgotten.

Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

Having done melee and magic, magic is the better one, just by virtue of actually covering some follow up to MSQ, whether it's needed or not is up for debate but it felt like it actually did something at least.

Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

Offkorn posted:

So, anyone else suddenly getting "Version Check could not be completed" and red "An Error has occurred" errors when trying to use the launcher?

I got kicked off the game, failed to authenticate, and now I can't even log on on the launcher. :ohdear:

Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

FFXIV has officially hit gently caress off we're full.

Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

hazardousmouse posted:

I would expect a DPS to share ninja gear before another healer

4 tanks and healers lets them have 2 of each 'type' so I can't see them adding in either category unless it's like two at once or something. DPS are a lot easier to fit in. I'm expecting a caster or something, maybe caster/ranged.

Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

Striking Cryptlurker would've been so much better for reaper. :colbert: But I personally am not super into armored looks, which makes me worried/interested in how the next few sets of maiming will look. Really the ideal solution would be once you have a class to a level where it can wear x gear, you can glamour it on all jobs. This would also save me from having to have four of every piece of jewelry.

Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

I mean I didn't enjoy the video game of Endwalker by that point. :v: I've had such a weird reaction to where I'm okay with a lot of it and acknowledge the spectacle of the finale and hell even Zenos's bit was good as the most hardcore of Zenos haters, but the lead up to it left me empty. It's definitely the most conflicted and confused I've ever felt after an expansion and that I've had to spend the time since beating it working out my feelings on the drat thing.

Also on npcs being romantic towards the WoL I feel on average they had a great balance of mostly leaving it headcanonable of how close certain characters are. With one exception. drat it G'raha do I need to get the loving spray bottle? He comes on insanely strong this expansion to a degree it felt overbearing, though I am notably not into him.

Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

New MSQ party of Jullus, Fordola, Erenville, Pagaga, and Lyon. :colbert:

Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

You can also change their glamour to previous expansion looks.

Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

MechanicalTomPetty posted:

Are any of the Thavnarian relic guys npc's in RAH? I haven't really combed over the place much yet outside of what's required for the MSQ but I didn't recognize anyone off the top of my head.

On a tangently related note, I just love that like a quarter of the population of Thavnair consists of giant swole elephant dudes and everyone considers this completely normal and not worth commenting on. Its a great way of showing how accepted and integrated they are in this society without smashing the point over your head like some other games might do.

In RAH there's a quest from the HW relic guy's family, apparently leaving Thavnair was basically like being banished, so he can't return yet.

Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

But not Scorch?! :argh:

Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

Flavahbeast posted:

I'm thinking psycho future Lahabrea hitched a ride with you somehow and possessed his past self during your initial visit

Wild speculation: the fourth boss and the lyrics to the fourth boss's music makes me think future bosses in the raid will also be refs to popular non-Square PS1 games

I'm sad that it wasn't an official crossover because do I ever want to hear Soken's Bloody Tears.

Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

Kazy posted:

The Ivalice story was awful and boring and honestly makes me hate the raids.

:hmmyes:

Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

I hate playing black mage but I had to get it to 90 somehow. :shrug:

Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

Cythereal posted:

I'd stop manipulating my ilevel (though I'm not as extreme as some people, I just block off the Nier raids) if they increased the rewards for doing longer and harder content. Same reason I don't trial roulette anymore. The rewards, in my eyes, are not equal to the difficulty and effort for many of the things the roulette might put me into.

Also true. If getting Orbonne was like getting Praetorium, I'd be fine doing Orbonne. I mean not on black mage as I loathe over 50 black mage, but on other classes.

Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

Harrow posted:

I mean I’m generally in favor of increasing roulette rewards so sure

Although honestly I’d rather do the Nier raids than the Ivalice ones, mechanics-wise. Maybe it’s just my brain but the last Ivalice raid is trickier for me than any of the Nier ones.

Yeah I mean I think the NieR raids were actually fun, and Ivalice was pretty crap in my eyes.

Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

Badger of Basra posted:

cythereal I remain baffled as to why you keep playing this game considering that you don't seem to like any of the gameplay or most of the story

??????????

BLM was my old main in ARR, Enochian straight up made the class worse to me. It was a really chill caster where you just reacted to procs and now you have to fight the fiddle loving timer and juggle spells and when you gently caress up it feels awful. It's insanely stressful to me and lost all of the things I liked from it.

Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

Draxion posted:

Enochian doesn't have a timer

It used to, I have three expansions of ptsd about blm. And you're still fighting AF because of how the class is designed. I think it's the only class in game where you're left fighting a stupid rear end timer.

Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

I recognize at this point it's no longer for me, but I can still be bitter they murdered the first job I fell in love with in this game. :colbert:

Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

Kyrosiris posted:

You were also "fighting" Astral Fire at 50 in ARR so I don't understand this complaint. :psyduck:

No you weren't, every spell you cast in fire phase refreshed it. You only lost AF if the boss went invincible.

Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

I think the easy fix is just to increase rewards for the harder raids. No one tries to force Castrum in MSQ roulette, everyone wants Praetorium. If the harder raids were commensurately more rewarded then the people who strip would have a lot less incentive to do so, since the big reason is why work when you can only sorta pay attention for 15 min and be done with the same rewards.

Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

Valentin posted:

tbh i thought that link was going to relate to the "shipping your WoL with emet-selch is a tradwife pipeline" discourse I saw alluded to on twitter the last few days, very disappointed it wasn't.

:psyduck: I almost wish it was because that's some pure strain crazy. Any good Persephone shipper knows the dynamic is Emet constantly having a headache from having to deal with Azem's poo poo which is the furthest thing from a tradwife imaginable lmao

Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

Captain Oblivious posted:

Reaper is a lot like Stormblood era Samurai where it's just much much slicker than it's direct competition.

Job good.

Now I worry how it'll feel after the next expansion cause samurai got way clunkier to me. :ohdear:

Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

Chillgamesh posted:

Bunshin should turn into Phantom Kamaitachi. Also High Jump should turn into Mirage Dive. Hypercharge should turn into Heat Blast and Spread Shot/Scattergun should turn into Auto Crossbow while overheating. Minor Arcana should transform into Crown Play.

Shroud not turning into Communio is also a weird omission.

Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

Having 5 well technically 6 90s, here is my thoughts on them.

SMN: Very flashy, easy, feels great even if apparently the raid dps sucks. However I will say it just doesn't sit right to me that it's almost all instant cast, it doesn't feel like a caster anymore. I'd prefer cast while moving but I don't even know if the engine can handle that if they want it to be super mobile.

RDM: New acceleration sucks. The new sound effects are awful, scorch being so bad it stops me from wanting to play it. Otherwise the changes are good but nothing fundamentally changed. It still takes about as long to charge your combo and it's still RDM. Sound effects aside this a good thing.

BLM: still the most stressful job in the game that I will never enjoy.

BRD: Insanely improved from ShB. Feels less plate spinny and more rewardy. Also you actually use apex arrow often nowadays.

DRG: Worse than ShB, the changes make it feel like it's more packed with ogcds. I suppose if you want it to have more apm that's fine, but I liked that it was chill and it doesn't feel as chill anymore. Also it still has dragon sight.

RPR: Even with the tuning maybe being off, it's still the best melee in the game. It's positionals are barely existent, which is great. It's almost all on the gcd, but thanks to some really good animation work you never feel like you're waiting for a skill to go off, it's just super satisfying. Shroud is fun as hell. Even though I was into it's aesthetic, I didn't intend to main it, I intended to main smn. RPR massively won my heart and all other melee feel like crap in comparison.

Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

G'raha went from 'Oh he's into the WoL' to insanely clingy and I got uncomfortable with him this expansion. Like I needed to carry a spray bottle whenever he was onscreen.

Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

I level everyhting and I mostly did dps via trusts, but that was before the dungeon exp changes. Trust dungeons don't benefit from that for whatever reason. Anyway because I have brain worms I am just left with Alisaie but also I don't want to see the tower of zot ever again. :negative:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

They are separate iirc, given for EW they start at 81