Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

the_steve
Nov 9, 2005

We're always hiring!

Thundarr posted:

I'll probably break down and do this, since as time goes by it becomes increasingly unlikely that combat materia 6 or lower will be useful for edge case overmelds. And they're eating a lot of space on a retainer.

You'll never get me to divest my old gathering and crafting material piles though. Sometimes the smaller numbers actually do fit better in those overmeld slots.

Yeah, this.
You can still find a use for the old Green/Blue materia, but the old combat materia is pretty much a waste.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

the_steve
Nov 9, 2005

We're always hiring!

CJ posted:

What is the best way to level cooking though endwalker? Leves?

Leves and the Studium quests

the_steve
Nov 9, 2005

We're always hiring!

Consummate Professional posted:

201 triple triad cards. Getting closer.

I think I need like 3 more unique NPCs, no idea where they are because I've done every available side quest, and I don't remember how many card but they're all either dungeon/raid drops or bought with bicolor gemstones at this point.

the_steve
Nov 9, 2005

We're always hiring!

Kyrosiris posted:

That raucous laughter you hear is diehard fishers reacting to thinking a twelve hour wait for a window is long. :v:

*stares in Warden of the Seven Hues*

the_steve
Nov 9, 2005

We're always hiring!

Kyrosiris posted:

*googles*

Holy loving :laffo:

Man, achievement chasing for fishing is some wild-rear end nonsense, my god.

Deathlove posted:

haha, I knew it was bad, but

ha ha

haaaaaaaa

Yeah. I enjoy fishing well enough, but I am by no metric a diehard or hardcore fisher in this game.
I spent close to two weeks chasing this loving thing, had a crack-ping moment when I triggered the Intuition buff, and when I tried to cast, began getting the "The fish are onto you, go somewhere else" message.

When the howling and gibbering screams faded and I was myself again, I decided I had had enough and just bought one off the marketboard.

the_steve
Nov 9, 2005

We're always hiring!

Yeah, FFXIV is a Final Fantasy game first and foremost and needs to be treated as such.

the_steve
Nov 9, 2005

We're always hiring!

Yeah, the paladin quests are basically
"Yeah, the paladins are compromised as well because Uldah and everything in it is terrible."

the_steve
Nov 9, 2005

We're always hiring!

Albu-quirky Guy posted:

Completely off topic but I just watched an anime called Bofuri on Hulu earlier this month and tl;dr it's about a virtual reality MMORPG where one of the classes specifically is based on a heavy shield (with a short knife as a backup weapon).

Bofuri is a fun anime and I am looking forward to seeing more of it.

the_steve
Nov 9, 2005

We're always hiring!

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

What's the explanation for aspected benefic in the first place, considering pre-6.0, when you're learning they explain how you use the different aspects for different reasons and are drawing power from different places... and now it's just all the same?

I mean, I guess I came in after they had already retconned the ability that was like "you heal people by reversing time" and I didn't really notice

Probably something hand wavey like "We used to do it this way, but then we streamlined the process and made it work better this way."

the_steve
Nov 9, 2005

We're always hiring!

SirSamVimes posted:

This is incorrect because the ARR ALC and LTW and HW BSM quests are all very good.

LTW holds a special place in my memory because it's the only one where the guildmaster actually criticizes your work and isn't constantly blowing smoke up your rear end about how you singlehandedly saved the business by crafting 5 pieces of starter gear with your amazing natural talent.

the_steve
Nov 9, 2005

We're always hiring!

Gnossiennes posted:

i'm consumed by my ability to repair and meld materia without going to an npc :smug:

Yeah. It's great, being able to spend all night getting beat to hell in a raid, and still have > 100% gear durability because you fix your own.

the_steve
Nov 9, 2005

We're always hiring!

Kyrosiris posted:

Which is hilarious because I'm pretty sure I gave away like fifteen different full sets of exarchic to friends coming back in 5.5 to get ready for Endwalker. :v:

Yeah, I made a full HQ set of the AR-CAEN crafting gear for a buddy of mine just because I had nothing better to do.

the_steve
Nov 9, 2005

We're always hiring!

Qwertycoatl posted:

She talks buff but she's a thaumaturge aka library nerd

In this life, perhaps. But some of her previous incarnations were bound to have been buff, and the soul remembers :colbert:

the_steve
Nov 9, 2005

We're always hiring!

Professor Beetus posted:

The cornbread recipe from the official licensed cookbook is so loving good, I'm never buying a box of jiffy mix ever again.

Oh snap, I haven't tried the cornbread yet. I'm planning on making the Oden here in a few weeks when I'm back in town.

the_steve
Nov 9, 2005

We're always hiring!

cheetah7071 posted:

I just finished a NG+ of 2.0 and, after the 5.3 and 6.1 changes, I think the only part of it that doesn't really hold up is Hydaelyn and Lahabrea. Unfortunately, a low-ambition rewrite isn't really capable of fixing them either because both of them are >50% voiced lines

I think what trips up a lot of people is that 2.0 isn't structured as a cohesive narrative. It's structured instead like a series of short stories. Each one has self-contained stakes and for the most part characters as well. Like Y'shtola might as well not be a character outside of the Titan arc unless you started in Limsa, and that isn't really unique to her. But if you sort of accept the structure, I think all of the individual vignettes work pretty well and are reasonably well told

Lahabrea is just, not a good villain though. It's unfortunate because I think Gaius does work really well as a villain in 2.0

I think Lahabrea is kind of like Minfilia in that they're victims of 1.0 carryover.

There wasn't really a plan for the Ascians at that point other than "mysterious bad guys who gently caress poo poo up for no apparent reason."

That was why they had to make mention of the fact that Lahabrea had huffed too many bodyswap fumes and that's why he was such a dumbass compared to the others in light of their stated goals, because it was the only way to make him "work" once YoshiP and co. had gotten their footing.

the_steve
Nov 9, 2005

We're always hiring!

FuturePastNow posted:

While the average alliance raid goes very smoothly, the Ivalice and Nier raids can still regularly turn into mass casualty events and frankly seeing that happen and players deal with it is half the fun of doing them

I once got like 6 comms from the first Ivalice raid back when everyone was farming it for Bozja.

We were at the Chariot boss, I had already been dead to something I didn't dodge in time and the "Arena goes dark, gotta click the objects on the ground to make it light and find the safe spot" mechanic was happening.

The groups whiff it and it would have been a full wipe, except that I was in the middle of Rez animations, so as everyone else dies, I pop up and manage to Doublecast Verraise a healer in time for them to LB3 and Salvage the whole thing.

the_steve
Nov 9, 2005

We're always hiring!

I enjoy reaper, my only problem with it is that I keep forgetting to keep the debuff up because I am bad and dumb.

the_steve
Nov 9, 2005

We're always hiring!

Cleretic posted:

I'm very tempted to enter the performance category with something that I've been joking about in and around RP for a while: Potion Seller in the form of a classic rakugo performance.

People have tried re-enacting it so often in my pharmacy RP venue that we've decided it must exist in-universe somewhere, and that's the funniest form it could be in.

I remember last year one of the contestants basically did their own version of the "Crap Guide to..." videos for SAM, that JoCat ended up voicing in a video.

the_steve
Nov 9, 2005

We're always hiring!

CJ posted:

Today i learned that Guildhests don't stop at 15 or whatever you unlock them, they go all the way up to level 40. They teach you all kinds of useless stuff like dodging bombs thrown by goblins behind barricades. They should give realistic tutorials like how to pull 2 packs then hit a wall.

Yeah, that was a rude awakening for me when I was working on unlocking Mentor roulette.

Speaking of stuff they gave up on, I wish they'd add more rank-ups for the Grand Companies.
Pretty weird that despite being the literal multi-time savior of the star and all life on it that I'm only a lieutenant in the local military.

the_steve
Nov 9, 2005

We're always hiring!

Kazy posted:

... You know it goes up to Captain, right? :v:

Yeah, but I'm at work and didn't feel like looking up the available ranks just to make my point 100% accurate.

Qwertycoatl posted:

You might be the multi-time saviour of the star, but you rarely turn up to your job in the military. It's more surprising that you haven't been fired than that you haven't been promoted more.

Bullshit, I'm there every day dropping off enchanted gear for the cause. I even remember to feed my squad every once in awhile.

the_steve
Nov 9, 2005

We're always hiring!

Maxwell Lord posted:

Doing the level 50 Culinarian quest after ARR is especially amusing.

Hey your majesty, you remember me right? I was there when you had the whole *glug glug*- *thunk* incident?

Yeah, that one always stuck out like a bit of a sore thumb to me.

Honestly, I think the most "realistic" one is the Leatherworkers Guild, because she is the only one who will actually tell you early on that your work is poo poo and you should feel bad, which makes sense because you're literally brand new to the profession and should not be an instant master.

All of the others, it's "Hey, wow, these basic ham sandwiches you made are so good that I am now willing to reconcile with my estranged family whom I haven't talked to in 15 years!"
Leatherworkers, it's "Ok, so this wasn't completely godawful, but you still need to git gud."

Always feels more earned when she actually starts trusting you with the real work.

the_steve
Nov 9, 2005

We're always hiring!

sassassin posted:

There's plenty of trashing your work in the goldsmith quests as well, and the level 50 quest ends with a gag about how you don't actually know what you're doing (which saves the day as Gigi becomes too mad about it to die)

The Blacksmith leader is just desperate for company as the guild has been isolating him from new recruits.

With the GSM quests though, it's easy to discount the criticism because it's coming from an old, buggy, possibly the prototypical mammet and not the actual guild master. It feels less like criticism and more like a comedy relief bit. "Ha ha, look at the grumpy robot who is never happy."

the_steve
Nov 9, 2005

We're always hiring!

Dareon posted:

More to the point, it's easy to dismiss because it's not helpful criticism. My leather choker having loose stitching that needs to be redone before it's delivered to the client? That's something I could improve upon were my stitching not a canned animation and a particle effect. My silver bar making Gigi want to commit suicide? Overdramatic and provides me no approach to improve.

e: And everyone else claiming my work is perfect is just blowing smoke up the eikon-slayer's rear end. Never mind you knew me when I was just a fresh-faced dipshit in hempen tights with a letter for your local leader clutched in one fist.

:hmmyes:
That's also a good point that I didn't consider.

the_steve
Nov 9, 2005

We're always hiring!

I know the data mining isn't as prevalent as it is in other games, but is there anywhere to figure out ahead of time which currently accessible crafting mats will be useful for the next tier of recipes?
I wouldn't mind trying to stock up ahead of time if I know that Integral Logs are going to be relevant again, for example.

the_steve
Nov 9, 2005

We're always hiring!

I really want to finish Eureka before the next patch, but between my work schedule and Pagos being dead anytime I do manage to login, it's not looking good.

the_steve
Nov 9, 2005

We're always hiring!

I always liked the Crystarium Guard uniform, but, I doubt it's what you're looking for.

the_steve
Nov 9, 2005

We're always hiring!

My problem in pvp has always been that I swear I'm not ever actually doing any damage.
No matter how many buttons I push, even when it's 1v1 for a brief moment before 25 members of their team shows up to annihilate me, the other person never loses a single point of HP. At this point, I'm pretty sure I would lose against someone who was AFK

the_steve
Nov 9, 2005

We're always hiring!

iPodschun posted:

I didn't participate in glamposting but here's a commission of my Excalibur character's Machinist glam

https://twitter.com/Azulean_/status/1553607462497832960

Oooh, that's good

the_steve
Nov 9, 2005

We're always hiring!

Maxwell Lord posted:

Emet-Selch epitomizes the FFXIV villain:

Enters the story at "Who is this rear end in a top hat? What a bastard! Talks too much too. I can't wait to murder him several times over."

By the end: "Goodnight, sweet prince! May you find rest and comfort in the aetherial sea!"

I still give my friend grief over this exact thing. We were hanging out in voice chat while she played through ShB and the whole time it was God I hate this guy, I can't wait until I loving kill him. Oh god no, I miss him I always loved him :cry:

the_steve
Nov 9, 2005

We're always hiring!

Vitamean posted:

this makes me think if the first step of the new relics have you grinding fates it might be a good idea to offload any bicolor vouchers you have lying around, before 6.25 cause those are gonna dip

alternatively buy in after

I really hope it is Fate grinding, because I've been meaning to finish the EW shared fates for awhile, but I don't think I've finished any of them besides Labyrinthos

the_steve
Nov 9, 2005

We're always hiring!

Mordiceius posted:

And the worst part was the attempted pairing of Cid and Makoto.

That was pretty cringeworthy. Trying to force him to cheat on Nero like that

the_steve
Nov 9, 2005

We're always hiring!

I liked Bozja well enough to do the content for my relics, but absolutely not enough to try to do the duels or complete all the field records.

So, I guess like one step above tolerate.

the_steve
Nov 9, 2005

We're always hiring!

Mordiceius posted:

If you just gave me the Wikipedia-style plot summary of Bozja, I’d be like “yeah. That sounds alright” but actually sitting through the cutscenes was pure loving torture. I found it so incredibly dry and boring.

I had the same problem with the Stormblood Ivalice quest line he wrote. A bunch of boring characters pontificating to each other at length in the most dry way possible.

It’s just not for me.

My biggest beef was just that Bozja itself is so ugly. I mean, I get it, it's a gritty warzone in a geographic area that probably doesn't do itself any favors aesthetically speaking anyways, but yeah, an ugly place with crap scenery makes the grind hit that much harder.
Plus, like someone else mentioned, killing trash mobs is all but useless.

the_steve
Nov 9, 2005

We're always hiring!

Warmachine posted:

IIRC this was due to WAR and DRK invlun cooldown timings allowing them to negate certain mechanics that'd otherwise force a tank swap. I think WAR was a special case for self-heals during trash pulls, but normal 4-person duties are tuned low enough that setting a meta by them seems a bit pointless.

Yeah, with a good WAR tank, my static can 1 tank/1 heal the EX2 fight.

the_steve
Nov 9, 2005

We're always hiring!

Macaluso posted:

Is that a different set of wings than what drops from maps?

I was wondering the same thing

the_steve
Nov 9, 2005

We're always hiring!

Maxwell Lord posted:

That's the point.

Lolorito sends Estinien to pick up a new shirt that he's already paid for and Estinien just has to carry it from the tailor to Lolorito's house.

Two hours later Lolorito owes one million gil to a random guy Estinien met in the street and is the proud owner of an empty sack of grain.

I'm pretty sure that the only Syndicate member who would be dumb enough to fall for that strategy was bisected by Raubahn shortly before Heavensward, the others almost certainly would have done some sort of background check already.

the_steve
Nov 9, 2005

We're always hiring!

I've been busy at work, so I haven't been able to do a deep dive on 6.2 yet, but, I am not seeing any new Crafter/Gatherer accessories anywhere on any vendors or in any of the new Master Recipes.
Am I overlooking them, or are we still stuck with the Integral stuff for the right-side gear?

the_steve
Nov 9, 2005

We're always hiring!

Orcs and Ostriches posted:

Yep. Pactmaker left, Integral right is what we have until 6.3. They always alternate adding combat gear on savage patches and trade gear on off patches.

Hmmm.
Yeah, I am simultaneously disappointed and relieved. At least all I have to worry about is getting my poo poo melded properly to beat the new stat requirements.

the_steve
Nov 9, 2005

We're always hiring!

I have one of every rare animal on my island except the alligator (quit running away you fat gently caress!) and the paissa (because I don't have flight yet), so that's nice.
Started doing fishing expeditions again last night after not having done any since ShB, trying to catch the Stonescale but drat it is rough.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

the_steve
Nov 9, 2005

We're always hiring!

I'm just happy that I'm only 19 Hydatos crystals away from completing my Eureka weapon and officially having at least one completed relic weapon from every expansion, and I should be able to get that finished up on Wednesday, so it'll be done before the patch.