Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

highme
May 25, 2001

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

I am over here cackling at the pure MLS of things that there are teams protected in this draft because Austin selected from them last year, but Austin lost a home grown player.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BelovedWebPatron
Nov 30, 2015

https://twitter.com/tombogert/status/1470894054057693192
The Lletget to New England rumors were true!

whypick1
Dec 18, 2009

Just another jackass on the Internet
CCL draw is tonight at 6PM EST on FS1 FS2 (internet lied to me :argh:). Brush up on your high school Spanish and find out which Central American team New England/Colorado/NYCFC/Seattle/Montreal will hope to avoid getting upset by before being swept aside by a LigaMX squad.

whypick1 fucked around with this message at 00:30 on Dec 16, 2021

trem_two
Oct 22, 2002

it is better if you keep saying I'm fat, as I will continue to score goals
Fun Shoe
I guess my own standards for the phrase “blockbuster trade” might be different than that reporter.

Edward Mass
Sep 14, 2011

𝅘𝅥𝅮 I wanna go home with the armadillo
Good country music from Amarillo and Abilene
Friendliest people and the prettiest women you've ever seen
𝅘𝅥𝅮
:siren: We have a schedule! :siren:

e: Austin hosts Orlando City :sickos:

Edward Mass fucked around with this message at 20:49 on Dec 15, 2021

whypick1
Dec 18, 2009

Not a huge fan of having 3 straight 3 game weeks, ngl.

e: Wow, 9 matches on ABC and 7 on FOX. That's quite the jump. Shame the UniMas/Twitter thing is still with us.

whypick1 fucked around with this message at 21:05 on Dec 15, 2021

highme
May 25, 2001

Already looking at NYRB away in May. RT airfare is cheap and that sounds fun.

BelovedWebPatron
Nov 30, 2015

I'm aiming for a couple of SKC away matches next year, though neither of the obvious driveable ones (Minnesota, Dallas, or Colorado) are at particularly convenient times. I have family in Nashville and friends in Montreal, though, and I've always wanted to visit Austin and Atlanta so those are more logical candidates.

Edward Mass
Sep 14, 2011

𝅘𝅥𝅮
My parents have been planning a trip to see the Canadian Grand Prix, and I was reluctant to go....until I saw that Austin was playing Montreal on the Saturday of that weekend. Allons-y!

whypick1
Dec 18, 2009

CCL Bracket:

Montreal probably has the toughest go of it, Leon is the only LigaMX team in the top half of the bracket.

whypick1 fucked around with this message at 00:42 on Dec 16, 2021

Gigi Galli
Sep 19, 2003

and then the car turned in to fire
I’m assuming Cavaly FC is Cavalry FC, the Canadian lads?

E: also the famous Forge FC Familton

whypick1
Dec 18, 2009

Nope. I messed up and put "FC" instead of "AS"

And dammit

Gigi Galli
Sep 19, 2003

whypick1 posted:

Nope. I messed up and put "FC" instead of "AS"

And dammit

Ah sweet and also lol

BelovedWebPatron
Nov 30, 2015

Intriguing potential Leon-Seattle rematch in the second round (assuming Seattle doesn't falter in the first round again)

binge crotching
Apr 2, 2010

Looks like the first round will be during MLS preseason, so I fully expect at least 3 of the 5 MLS teams to get immediately eliminated.

Giganticon
Mar 10, 2010

Pillbug
Pacific FC won the Canadian premier league why aren't they in CCL? I want to watch Pa Moudu Kah beat one of the old MLS teams he used to play for.

Edward Mass
Sep 14, 2011

𝅘𝅥𝅮

Giganticon posted:

Pacific FC won the Canadian premier league why aren't they in CCL? I want to watch Pa Moudu Kah beat one of the old MLS teams he used to play for.

CPL winners don't get an autobid to the Champions League - they have to go through the Concacaf League until 2024.

TwoStepBoog
Apr 12, 2008

https://www.mlssoccer.com/news/mls-cup-2022-odds-lafc-early-favorites-alongside-seattle-new-england

The favorites to win next year's MLS Cup are Seattle, New England, and LAFC because everyone has to keep pushing that meme.

BelovedWebPatron
Nov 30, 2015

https://www.espn.com/soccer/major-l...iga-mx-and-more
Jeff Carlisle's interview with Don Garber is very interesting. Wish he'd gone in more depth about the gambling thing, the league kind of got lucky that the first player to be found betting on games was a relative role player on a small-market team. We're only like ~3 years into sports gambling being legalized federally and that's already happened, I have to imagine it'll happen again sometime, you have to at least prepare for it and I'm guessing the league's just hoping it won't happen again.

Also interesting to see my graduate school explicitly brought up as the main barrier to a San Diego franchise happening

Moktaro
Aug 3, 2007
I value call my nuts.

Yeah I'll take that draw for the Rapids. Now let's get a proper goalscorer.

whypick1
Dec 18, 2009

Horray, no more Toledo!

https://twitter.com/PROreferees/status/1472586208773615622

highme
May 25, 2001

Weird they omitted Ted Unkel from that list, because he’s retiring too.

Nostradingus
Jul 13, 2009

Baldomero Toledo has been consistently the worst referee on the planet for years and I have no idea how he had such a long career

BelovedWebPatron
Nov 30, 2015

Nostradingus posted:

Baldomero Toledo has been consistently the worst referee on the planet for years and I have no idea how he had such a long career
Never a dull moment with Baldo for better or worse

Dallan Invictus
Oct 11, 2007

The thing about words is that meanings can twist just like a snake, and if you want to find snakes, look for them behind words that have changed their meaning.

highme posted:

Weird they omitted Ted Unkel from that list, because he’s retiring too.

I thought he was only retiring from the international list?

Crazy Ted
Jul 29, 2003

Nostradingus posted:

Because other options are worse.

In the USL this season they had to actually take the step of a replaying a game from the 67th minute on because the entire crew made a mistake that was so egregious.

binge crotching
Apr 2, 2010

Crazy Ted posted:

Because other options are worse.

In the USL this season they had to actually take the step of a replaying a game from the 67th minute on because the entire crew made a mistake that was so egregious.

What the hell? I need to read up on this, I can't even imagine how bad it must have been.

whypick1
Dec 18, 2009

binge crotching posted:

What the hell? I need to read up on this, I can't even imagine how bad it must have been.

https://www.espn.com/soccer/usl-championship/story/4503678/usl-to-replay-part-of-game-after-officials-bizarre-decision-to-disallow-goal

Whoopsie

highme
May 25, 2001

Dallan Invictus posted:

I thought he was only retiring from the international list?

I hope I’m wrong, I like Ted.

BelovedWebPatron
Nov 30, 2015

https://twitter.com/SportingKC/status/1473345111610339329
It's 2013 again baby!

the escape goat
Apr 16, 2008

Steve Clark isn’t returning to the Timbers roster, and it looks like he’s been kinda over it for a hot minute. His wife resigned from her job in November and he apparently was moving right after the final.

Woof.

highme
May 25, 2001

the escape goat posted:

Steve Clark isn’t returning to the Timbers roster, and it looks like he’s been kinda over it for a hot minute. His wife resigned from her job in November and he apparently was moving right after the final.

Woof.

He’s trading that cup final appearance into a lucrative retirement contract and will likely appreciate the cost of living in Houston. I wish him well, our FO is duplicitous as gently caress (not that you’re not aware) and I applaud anyone who can say “gently caress y’all”.

whypick1
Dec 18, 2009

US Soccer might be jinxing it, but competition details for the 2022 US Open Cup have been announced. The MLS-relevant part of this is that 17 teams will enter in the round of 64 (April 19-21), while the remaining 8 teams enter in the round of 32 (May 10+11).

Those 8 teams:
New England
NYCFC
Colorado
Seattle [the 4 CCL entrants]
KC
Portland
Nashville
Philly [2 next best teams from each conference not in that first group, which just happens to make it #1-#4 in both conferences]

binge crotching
Apr 2, 2010

I like that schedule, I always thought MLS should join earlier.

Edward Mass
Sep 14, 2011

𝅘𝅥𝅮
https://twitter.com/mls_buzz/status/1473332867266715650?s=21

Large, if true.

BelovedWebPatron
Nov 30, 2015

CBS is an intriguing idea. I've enjoyed the way they've done NWSL matches and USMNT matches in the past few years, and if I'm not mistaken, 2021 was their final year doing college football, which could leave a lot of prime late-season weekend time slots open.

whypick1
Dec 18, 2009

Please not loving Amazon or Apple.

Also, the 2nd Re-Entry Draft took place today. The one last week (where teams had to honor the original contract; in round 2 they re-negotiate) only saw Josh Bauer of Atlanta get selected by Nashville.

whypick1 fucked around with this message at 21:18 on Dec 23, 2021

G-Hawk
Dec 15, 2003

cbs/paramount production and app stuff with champions league and concacaf stuff has generally been pretty bad. its roughly a weekly occurance that they fail to start a stream and the quality is subpar.

id really prefer mls stays at espn primarily but whatcha gonna do

Gigi Galli
Sep 19, 2003

G-Hawk posted:

cbs/paramount production and app stuff with champions league and concacaf stuff has generally been pretty bad. its roughly a weekly occurance that they fail to start a stream and the quality is subpar.

id really prefer mls stays at espn primarily but whatcha gonna do

The app is total garbage and is plagued with advertising and tracking poo poo. If you’re using a PS4 it doesn’t even work at all for live events. When it does work for me on my computer or other device, the coverage is fine, though the stream quality has never actually hit 4k on my tv and on my phone it’s much worse.

The commentary team they have for serie a ranges from very good to tolerable. I imagine whoever is on fox and espn these days for mls would just jump ship though so that’s irrelevant really. The whole studio poo poo is of high production quality at least.

I am with you that I’d prefer it stay on espn, which at least for me has been by far the best streaming service.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nottherealaborn
Nov 12, 2012
I agree - hope it stays with ESPN. CBS’s app is one of the worst of the bunch.