Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

G-Hawk
Dec 15, 2003

Gigi Galli posted:

The commentary team they have for serie a ranges from very good to tolerable. I imagine whoever is on fox and espn these days for mls would just jump ship though so that’s irrelevant really. The whole studio poo poo is of high production quality at least.

Thats fair, I guess I can't blame them for the weird concacaf poo poo they have. And I guess one encouraging sign, apparently a big chunk of the CL knockout games are going to be on the CBS mothership - they announced 6 matches on CBS in the round of 16. Which may suggest MLS would get network coverage there too and not just all behind paramount.

But yeah, in general ESPN+ is the most reliable streaming service in my opinion. I'd like to see 4k content sooner than later but other than that, it just tends to work across devices, is decently organized and has a ton of leagues and sports.

I'm...skeptical that it is in MLS' best interest to go with a less sports specific provider. I know everyone likes a big bag of money but its hard enough for casual viewers to find MLS matches as it is, at least with ESPN and Fox (and to a lesser extent CBS if its that) its in the place where sports viewers go to watch sports, and alongside other soccer programming that can lead in, cross-promote, etc. Apple seems like a transparently bad idea.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Edward Mass
Sep 14, 2011

𝅘𝅥𝅮 I wanna go home with the armadillo
Good country music from Amarillo and Abilene
Friendliest people and the prettiest women you've ever seen
𝅘𝅥𝅮
Counterpoint: MLS on CBS means no preemptions for college softball.

G-Hawk
Dec 15, 2003

Edward Mass posted:

Counterpoint: MLS on CBS means no preemptions for college softball.

That's not really an issue if you're streaming, they just move it to a different stream.

Edward Mass
Sep 14, 2011

𝅘𝅥𝅮
It is for me, guy-who-watches-things-on-TV.

G-Hawk
Dec 15, 2003

Edward Mass posted:

It is for me, guy-who-watches-things-on-TV.

well i wouldn't anticipate many of the games being on tv with most of those other options, ESPN is probably still your best hope there (along with Fox maybe)

Edward Mass
Sep 14, 2011

𝅘𝅥𝅮

G-Hawk posted:

well i wouldn't anticipate many of the games being on tv with most of those other options, ESPN is probably still your best hope there (along with Fox maybe)

I’d have to imagine CBS would put matches on CBS (and CBS Sports Network) and WarnerMedia would put matches in TNT & TBS, plus the possibility of matches on the CW.

Moktaro
Aug 3, 2007
I value call my nuts.

Bryan Acosta is not a goalscorer!

binge crotching
Apr 2, 2010

All of these are really bad choices, hopefully Disney decides to pay up to keep it all on ESPN again

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

MLS also needs to sort their poo poo out for access outside the US, I can get loving Belgian league matches here but not my lovely American soccer.

insider
Feb 22, 2007

A secret room... always my favourite room in a house.

the escape goat posted:

Steve Clark isn’t returning to the Timbers roster, and it looks like he’s been kinda over it for a hot minute. His wife resigned from her job in November and he apparently was moving right after the final.

Woof.

Late post but just want to post that Steve Clark is a loving snake and his wife lies likes its her loving job. gently caress that guy.

Nostradingus
Jul 13, 2009

insider posted:

Late post but just want to post that Steve Clark is a loving snake and his wife lies likes its her loving job. gently caress that guy.

weird post

Dallan Invictus
Oct 11, 2007

The thing about words is that meanings can twist just like a snake, and if you want to find snakes, look for them behind words that have changed their meaning.

insider posted:

Houston posters (do we even have any?) this is your future on Steve Clark's Crazy Championship Curse.

Doctor Teeth
Sep 12, 2008

https://twitter.com/FabrizioRomano/status/1475825322834776066

seems like an insane amount of money. doubt he'd get that much/for that long in europe at his age

G-Hawk
Dec 15, 2003

some reports that insigne to toronto is a done deal. thats a poo poo ton of money but would be one of the biggest signings ever by a MLS team. Better than paying a broken down Jozy Altidore millions of dollars I guess.

Azerban
Oct 28, 2003

G-Hawk posted:

Better than paying a broken down Jozy Altidore millions of dollars I guess.

who said we had to choose

G-Hawk
Dec 15, 2003

Azerban posted:

who said we had to choose

https://twitter.com/FabrizioRomano/status/1476004644434419712?s=19

Paying Jozy to gently caress off

He might be a decent buy low signing elsewhere in mls

binge crotching
Apr 2, 2010

G-Hawk posted:

https://twitter.com/FabrizioRomano/status/1476004644434419712?s=19

Paying Jozy to gently caress off

He might be a decent buy low signing elsewhere in mls

I'd be perfectly ok with it if the Sounders signed him on Bruin wages to supplement/replace Bruin. About as many injuries as Bruin, but for the same price it's fine.

Moktaro
Aug 3, 2007
I value call my nuts.

Rapids certainly have the cap space, I'd take him on a free with not insane wages deal if he isn't finished.

G-Hawk
Dec 15, 2003

Moktaro posted:

Rapids certainly have the cap space, I'd take him on a free with not insane wages deal if he isn't finished.

seems like some heavy performance bonuses could be structured into a deal with a team like Colorado, if he wants to bet on himself

Gigi Galli
Sep 19, 2003

and then the car turned in to fire

Doctor Teeth posted:

https://twitter.com/FabrizioRomano/status/1475825322834776066

seems like an insane amount of money. doubt he'd get that much/for that long in europe at his age

If this is true he'd become the highest paid Italian footballer in the world, beating Verratti who is at 11 million. You are right that he wouldn't even get close to that number in Italy, and he would probably get even less in the rest of Europe. I think the highest paid player in Serie A is De Ligt (lmao) on 8 million a year.

All that said, I doubt Napoli's president would sell him to anyone in Italy at all, and I also doubt he wants to let him go on a free in the summer. It all seems very possible.

whypick1
Dec 18, 2009

Just another jackass on the Internet
https://twitter.com/JeffreyCarlisle/status/1477382387696693250

It feels weird to have the MLS team committing highway robbery for once.

Dallan Invictus
Oct 11, 2007

The thing about words is that meanings can twist just like a snake, and if you want to find snakes, look for them behind words that have changed their meaning.

whypick1 posted:

It feels weird to have the MLS team committing highway robbery for once.

I mean didn't they want like 15-20m? (which seemed unlikely to me in this market)

Dallan Invictus fucked around with this message at 22:58 on Jan 1, 2022

G-Hawk
Dec 15, 2003

seems like a fine deal on both sides to me

Norwich paid 11mil for Sargent in the summer for an obvious comparison

G-Hawk fucked around with this message at 23:23 on Jan 1, 2022

Doctor Teeth
Sep 12, 2008

yowza!

https://twitter.com/FabrizioRomano/status/1477412707594739713

G-Hawk
Dec 15, 2003

thats a spicy turn. huge fee. know gently caress all about augsburg

i know theres weirdness in how mls transfer fees work but i wonder how much revenue dallas has made on transfers over the last few years. in the scheme of mls revenue it has to be a lot

G-Hawk fucked around with this message at 00:42 on Jan 2, 2022

whypick1
Dec 18, 2009

And they don't have to spend any of that money on trophy cases either :haw:

Doctor Teeth
Sep 12, 2008

oh drat, apparently that's almost double augsburg's previous record signing

sure hope he can help them stay up

Dallan Invictus
Oct 11, 2007

G-Hawk posted:

thats a spicy turn. huge fee. know gently caress all about augsburg

i know theres weirdness in how mls transfer fees work but i wonder how much revenue dallas has made on transfers over the last few years. in the scheme of mls revenue it has to be a lot

The remaining weirdness is only in terms of the cap (since the league stopped taking a cut of homegrowns' transfer fees like five years ago), but honestly this has just been a particularly good year for them - most of the last few years they've been average in revenue since the McKennie-tier kids were leaving for free rather than signing MLS deals. Cannon last year left for a couple of mill (did Boavista ever actually pay them? ) but this year they really got paid, between Reynolds, Tessman, and Pepi - that's like 30m between them where a) the average MLS team makes like $2m in transfer sales in a year, and b) the best available estimates suggest that FCD as a club doesn't earn much more than that in a given year on its own (as in, ignoring earnings from their share of SUM).

G-Hawk
Dec 15, 2003

Dallan Invictus posted:

The remaining weirdness is only in terms of the cap (since the league stopped taking a cut of homegrowns' transfer fees like five years ago), but honestly this has just been a particularly good year for them - most of the last few years they've been average in revenue since the McKennie-tier kids were leaving for free rather than signing MLS deals. Cannon last year left for a couple of mill (did Boavista ever actually pay them? ) but this year they really got paid, between Reynolds, Tessman, and Pepi - that's like 30m between them where a) the average MLS team makes like $2m in transfer sales in a year, and b) the best available estimates suggest that FCD as a club doesn't earn much more than that in a given year on its own (as in, ignoring earnings from their share of SUM).

yeah that all checks out. for comparison the new media deal the league is hyped about is expected to provide like 6-10mil a year per team lol

G-Hawk
Dec 15, 2003

https://twitter.com/RaeComm/status/1477704349203718149

pretty good news for NYRB, sounds like it could be part or full year. I'm high on Clark but he probably isn't ready to start in Europe and will get more playing time in MLS. Seems fine all around

Jovial Cow
Sep 7, 2006

inherently good

G-Hawk posted:

https://twitter.com/RaeComm/status/1477704349203718149

pretty good news for NYRB, sounds like it could be part or full year. I'm high on Clark but he probably isn't ready to start in Europe and will get more playing time in MLS. Seems fine all around

I am also pleased with this, he could definitely use another year of development, with the appendectomy and everything he had a very start and go 2021.

paddyboat
Feb 20, 2013

Maxi, Maxi Rodriguez
Run down the wing for me
Chicago actually signed a proper center back and binned Calvo.
:ck5:

https://twitter.com/jeremymikula/status/1477711664384458756?s=21

whypick1
Dec 18, 2009

https://twitter.com/JeffreyCarlisle/status/1478003855329693696?s=20

Surprised they didn't go after a flashy, internationally known name...then again, ask Atlanta how that's gone for them.

G-Hawk
Dec 15, 2003

seems like a smart hire, unfortunately.

Apparently some Bundesliga clubs want to buy Miles Robinson but Atlanta doesn't want to sell. I'd think they hold out for a big fee unless hes pushing for an exit, he would be difficult to replace.

Crazy Ted
Jul 29, 2003

Pepi to Augsburg for $20 million actual, non-Garber bucks is official, plus 10% of the next sale.

binge crotching
Apr 2, 2010

Crazy Ted posted:

Pepi to Augsburg for $20 million actual, non-Garber bucks is official, plus 10% of the next sale.

That's a ton of cash

whypick1
Dec 18, 2009

If we're talking :20bux:, then it's actually a little over a ton :eng101:

whypick1
Dec 18, 2009

Cherundolo hire is official, along with Houston hiring Paulo Nagamura, formerly of SKC 2.

BelovedWebPatron
Nov 30, 2015

A lot of good young players developed on SPR/SKC II with Paulo though the teams didn't do much winning. I just hope the club supports him financially given how little has been put into the team in the past few years

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Drunk Canuck
Jan 9, 2010

Robots ruin all the fun of a good adventure.

WE GOT INSIGNE

:getin: EAT poo poo EUROPE WE'RE BIG BOYS NOW