Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

highme
May 25, 2001

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

Portland signed Blanco and his dodgy knee to a 2 year TAM level deal.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Doctor Teeth
Sep 12, 2008

chicago possibly getting the Power Cube

https://twitter.com/tombogert/status/1489665499487260674

paddyboat
Feb 20, 2013

Maxi, Maxi Rodriguez
Run down the wing for me
loving it

he’s one of my all time favorites :greencube:

Azerban
Oct 28, 2003

Edward Mass posted:

Reports have the ghost of Jozy Altidore to New England.

almost certain jozy skipped trips to new england because their concrete pitch would have instantly turned his knees into powder

it's probably fine though

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

We're off to Gritty Gritty land

Shaqiri is only 30? I thought he was, like, 35 by now

G-Hawk
Dec 15, 2003

https://twitter.com/tombogert/status/1489670487500374016

i'd much rather be buying young (mostly) south american players like a lot of MLS teams are doing for that money, particularly given Chicago isn't like, on the brink of winning trophies or something and I don't think Shaqiri is particularly helpful in terms of marketing and such. He isn't THAT old but still. This and the LA Costa signing feel very MLS 2.0 compared to what teams like Orlando and Atlanta are doing.

paddyboat
Feb 20, 2013

Maxi, Maxi Rodriguez
Run down the wing for me

G-Hawk posted:

i'd much rather be buying young (mostly) south american players like a lot of MLS teams are doing for that money, particularly given Chicago isn't like, on the brink of winning trophies or something and I don't think Shaqiri is particularly helpful in terms of marketing and such. He isn't THAT old but still. This and the LA Costa signing feel very MLS 2.0 compared to what teams like Orlando and Atlanta are doing.

That would be ideal, but I think he’ll do well and tie the team together around a solid player. Schweinsteiger was great until he ended up playing CB for some dumb reason.

camoseven
Dec 30, 2005

RODOLPHONE RINGIN'
I haven't paid attention in a couple years, but Shaqiri is one of my favorite players so that's cool. I also like that Chicago Fire the team are still second fiddle to Chicago Fire the TV show in google search results.

Anyway, who's actually good and exciting now? Atlanta was for a while but I dunno if they still are

whypick1
Dec 18, 2009

Just another jackass on the Internet

camoseven posted:

Anyway, who's actually good and exciting now? Atlanta was for a while but I dunno if they still are

Bored at work:

Atlanta - They had, to put it lightly, some coaching drama the past couple of years. Things might be stable now with Pineda at the helm.
Austin - Expansion team, 1 point off bottom of the conference. At least the stadium looks cool.
Charlotte - Will probably look like Austin.
Chicago - Basically blew the whole drat thing up this offseason. Moving to Chicago proper and changing the logo was cool though.
Cincinnati - Three straight Wooden Spoons. THREE
Colorado - Sneakily won the Western Conference last year and probably not going to dip much this season
Columbus - Won MLS Cup 2020. Missed the playoffs in 2021. Curse of Caleb Porter continues.
DC - Just missed the playoffs last year, could see them making noise this year
Dallas - They actually decided to spend money this offseason after selling a bunch of academy players for multiple millions of dollars. Will that do any good? Who knows.
Houston - Probably stuck in the cellar
KC - Don't really have a #9 and gently caress Tim Melia
LA Galaxy - Spent the entire season in playoff position...until the last half hour of the season. Bit of a rebuilding year
LAFC - Ever since "BEST MLS TEAM OF ALL TIME FOR INFINITY + 1" of 2019 have been on a decline thanks to a tire fire defense and Carlos Vela spending most of the time injured. Not expecting anything from them this year.
Miami - Major blow up after financial sanctions due to their former GM just kinda sorta flaunting all of the roster rules (and still putting out a poo poo team)
Minnesota - Honestly have no clue how they'll turn out, I just know Adrian Heath will continue to say his team gets no respect.
Montreal - Could go either way. Stupid name though (CLUB DE FUT).
Nashville - Definitely a team to watch. Great defense, dangerous on the counter and at set pieces, absolutely loving terrible at PKs
New England - Kinda blitzkrieged their conference on the way to a Shield by winning a bunch of games 3-2 before flaming out in the playoffs. Retained almost everyone responsible so I'd expect them near the top again.
NY Red Bulls - Do you love 1-0 wins? Then boy do I have a team for you.
NYCFC - Won MLS Cup last year because Sean Johnson > Steve Clark. Also retained almost everyone responsible.
Orlando - Quite a bit of big player moves both in and out. Depends on how the incoming players pan out.
Philly - The cheap-rear end team Dallas wishes they were, what with them actually being able to get to the playoffs and win games (then be forced to play a playoff game with half of their roster out due to COVID...whoops)
Portland - Probably won't have the satisfaction of seeing them lose MLS Cup at home on PKs this year since I don't think they're going to make the playoffs this year. Relying on Sebastian Blanco to perform miracles and for Diego Chara to escape Father Time does not seem like a recipe for success.
RSL - Not sure how they'll turn out on the field, but at least they're in a better place off of it with a not-shithead owner.
San Jose - Chaos FC. Almost always entertaining to watch, and usually not for good reasons. They don't man-mark all the time now, but can still get lit up. Oh, and Wondo retired.
Seattle - The coolest and best team in the league by far...just as long as they don't have to take PKs :smith: Whole crew is basically back again and hopefully won't get injured all to hell in the second half of the season.
Toronto - Almost won the Shield in 2020. Almost won the Spoon in 2021. Guaranteed to be somewhere in the middle in 2022.
Vancouver - These guys might actually be good again (I have to remind myself they actually topped the Western Conference once).

tl;dr - Philly, Seattle, Nashville, New England, San Jose (for the wrong reasons), Colorado, and NYCFC.

whypick1 fucked around with this message at 18:25 on Feb 8, 2022

G-Hawk
Dec 15, 2003

camoseven posted:

I haven't paid attention in a couple years, but Shaqiri is one of my favorite players so that's cool. I also like that Chicago Fire the team are still second fiddle to Chicago Fire the TV show in google search results.

Theres been a good amount of offseason moves and still more to come, but New England and NYC FC should both be good again. (Granted NYC still may sell their top player Castellanos). Seattle will likely be around the top of the West per usual. Atlanta will probably be pretty good - theyve added Thiago Almada, an Argentine 20 year old attacking player for 16 million.

Toronto is doing interesting things, including bringing Insigne in the Summer - no idea if they will be good, though. Orlando signed Facundo Torres, one of the best prospects in South America, but also sold Dike and Nani - maybe good? Dallas also sold Pepi for 20mil and have brought in Arriola and Alan Velasco, and seem generally interested in investing in the team. Inter Miami basically replaced their entire team.

Imo the big story this offseason is MLS teams collectively really becoming bigger players in the international market, both buying and selling - some of the young talent coming in is a different caliber to what MLS teams have been able to afford before. Even Houston has something to be vaguely excited about, for the first time in roughly a decade.

G-Hawk fucked around with this message at 21:32 on Feb 8, 2022

camoseven
Dec 30, 2005

RODOLPHONE RINGIN'
Oh wow, I had vaguely heard of Miami and Austin getting teams but didn't realize Nashville and Charlotte were in now too. Seems uhhh not great for talent dilution.

E: I guess maybe this is part of why the Mexican 2nd division imploded? MLS teams spending more on that level player and making it harder for similar clubs/leagues to compete

Dallan Invictus
Oct 11, 2007

The thing about words is that meanings can twist just like a snake, and if you want to find snakes, look for them behind words that have changed their meaning.
Yeah, the talent dilution argument kinda works for domestic talent (expansion teams usually end up with other teams' castoffs via the exp draft or free agency, at least until they get academies running or get really lucky with high draft picks) but the difference between expansion here and the NFL/MLB/NHL/NBA is that an expansion MLS team has enough money to pillage recruit from a surprisingly high number of foreign leagues, and unlike in those other sports, that talent pool can paper over a loooot of cracks if you're good at it like early Atlanta and LAFC were.

Gigi Galli
Sep 19, 2003

and then the car turned in to fire
Im going to be the pessimist here and say that New England is not going to be as good as last year. Buchanan is off in Belgium, Turner is ultimately going to end up at Arsenal either mid season or before it starts, and I am suspicious that we’re going to lose one of Adam Buksa or Gustavo Bou because of the Jozy business. Thankfully Gil is sticking around.

That striker roulette bit I hope isn’t true. Jozy’s going to be carrying an enormous salary and Toronto is literally paying him to gently caress off. If Bruce managed to convince the Kraftlords to spend that much without selling then it might work out but I doubt it.

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

We're off to Gritty Gritty land

G-Hawk posted:

Chicago was one of the last teams to move on from MLS 1.0, so Shaqiri being a 2.0 move checks out

Gigi Galli posted:

Im going to be the pessimist here and say that New England is not going to be as good as last year. Buchanan is off in Belgium, Turner is ultimately going to end up at Arsenal either mid season or before it starts, and I am suspicious that we’re going to lose one of Adam Buksa or Gustavo Bou because of the Jozy business. Thankfully Gil is sticking around.

That striker roulette bit I hope isn’t true. Jozy’s going to be carrying an enormous salary and Toronto is literally paying him to gently caress off. If Bruce managed to convince the Kraftlords to spend that much without selling then it might work out but I doubt it.

Even if New England kept everyone, I'd still say they would be worse than last year because replicating the best season ever is generally not possible

Nissin Cup Nudist fucked around with this message at 19:34 on Feb 8, 2022

highme
May 25, 2001

Jesus gently caress preseason starts this weekend, I'm not ready.

Blanco's knee is very hosed so he might get to play half a season.

Jovial Cow
Sep 7, 2006

inherently good
I have no idea what NYRB are going to be like. Getting Aaron Long back is huge, another year of Caden Clark should be a boost too assuming he stays healthy.

The huge question is still our striker situation, they haven’t been able to replace BWP effectively. Klimala is going to have to figure out how to finish.

I know nothing about Lewis Morgan.

Edward Mass
Sep 14, 2011

𝅘𝅥𝅮 I wanna go home with the armadillo
Good country music from Amarillo and Abilene
Friendliest people and the prettiest women you've ever seen
𝅘𝅥𝅮

highme posted:

Jesus gently caress preseason starts this weekend, I'm not ready.

My local broadcaster is doing a pre-match show for Austin’s friendly against Atlas, which I’m pretty sure hasn’t happened but once, for last year’s home opener. Hopefully it’s not a one-off!

camoseven
Dec 30, 2005

RODOLPHONE RINGIN'

Gigi Galli posted:

Jozy’s going to be carrying an enormous salary and Toronto is literally paying him to gently caress off.

Tell me more? I loved watching him be large and unbalanced

G-Hawk
Dec 15, 2003

Dallan Invictus posted:

Yeah, the talent dilution argument kinda works for domestic talent (expansion teams usually end up with other teams' castoffs via the exp draft or free agency, at least until they get academies running or get really lucky with high draft picks) but the difference between expansion here and the NFL/MLB/NHL/NBA is that an expansion MLS team has enough money to pillage recruit from a surprisingly high number of foreign leagues, and unlike in those other sports, that talent pool can paper over a loooot of cracks if you're good at it like early Atlanta and LAFC were.

I don't worry about talent dilution much because A. the international nature of the sport kind of makes it not a thing, especially with MLS salaries and transfer fees rising (and increasingly getting high enough that MLS teams can buy top tier players from most leagues outside Europe, and some of the lower European leagues) B. the domestic pool, and perhaps more importantly scouting and development of that pool is rapidly improving. I don't think its widely understood how much the MLS academy, MLS next, MLS next pro, etc infrastructure has advanced over the last 5 years or so. Yeah, a lot of these talented teenagers are starting to move to Europe earlier, but the young American talent flowing into MLS now is so, so much larger than even a few years ago, and its happening so much earlier.

Agree New England probably regresses but are still good.

Forget preseason- Concacaf CL kicks off 1 week from today!

Gigi Galli
Sep 19, 2003

camoseven posted:

Tell me more? I loved watching him be large and unbalanced

Toronto have signed Lorenzo Insigne from Napoli for something like 11 million dollars a year (maybe more?) and given the huge expense they had to get rid of some players. For what I understand, Jozy’s contract is being bought out by the club to make room.

highme
May 25, 2001

Gigi Galli posted:

Turner is ultimately going to end up at Arsenal either mid season or before it starts

oh hey
https://twitter.com/TaylorTwellman/status/1491168019082788866

Jovial Cow
Sep 7, 2006

inherently good
So I think we all knew this was happening already but I guess its now "official". Caden Clark is being loaned back to NYRB for the season, the really interesting thing is there is apparently an option to extend the loan on NYRB's part. I guess that doesn't really have that meaningful of an impact as its all sort of the same organization so if Leipzig want him back NYRB won't extend, but if they do decide to extend the paperwork is already done. At least I hope that's what it means and its not some reflection on his development.

https://twitter.com/NewYorkRedBulls/status/1491426805722533893?s=20&t=3o6jYENJQAYvERXMRjR4XA

G-Hawk
Dec 15, 2003

Jovial Cow posted:

So I think we all knew this was happening already but I guess its now "official". Caden Clark is being loaned back to NYRB for the season, the really interesting thing is there is apparently an option to extend the loan on NYRB's part. I guess that doesn't really have that meaningful of an impact as its all sort of the same organization so if Leipzig want him back NYRB won't extend, but if they do decide to extend the paperwork is already done. At least I hope that's what it means and its not some reflection on his development.

My guess is this may be tied to the MLS weirdness around the allocation order -

https://twitter.com/tombogert/status/1491429187508486151?s=19

if I'm understanding this correctly, I think NYRB would theoretically have to do this again to do a "new" loan, whereas the option may prevent that. At least thats my speculation.

This is some extremely mls poo poo

Edit: also, Almada to Atlanta is done for 16 Million, the largest incoming transfer fee in MLS history

G-Hawk fucked around with this message at 16:39 on Feb 9, 2022

whypick1
Dec 18, 2009

Shaqiri to Chicago is official. The real question is this though: will he help them win the World Cup?

trem_two
Oct 22, 2002

it is better if you keep saying I'm fat, as I will continue to score goals
Fun Shoe

whypick1 posted:

Shaqiri to Chicago is official. The real question is this though: will he help them win the World Cup?

Once they plug him in at CB that’s where I’d put my money

whypick1
Dec 18, 2009

So things aren't great in Charlotte right now:

https://twitter.com/tombogert/status/1491795300377186307?s=20&t=zZ94BLB9U-ZYE1Gkk30knA

highme
May 25, 2001

So things aren't great in Portland right now. Andy Polo's partner called 911 over a DV incident. He called the team, and the former cop head of security showed up to handle things.

https://twitter.com/ELROLONW/status/1491714848538824704

trem_two
Oct 22, 2002

it is better if you keep saying I'm fat, as I will continue to score goals
Fun Shoe
Time to just dissolve the Portland clubs imo

highme
May 25, 2001

fair enough

G-Hawk
Dec 15, 2003

highme posted:

So things aren't great in Portland right now. Andy Polo's partner called 911 over a DV incident. He called the team, and the former cop head of security showed up to handle things.

https://twitter.com/ELROLONW/status/1491714848538824704

https://twitter.com/JeffreyCarlisle/status/1491888986784075776

https://www.espn.com/soccer/portlan...nce-allegations

good

whypick1
Dec 18, 2009

Countdown to Gavin Wilkinson managing to gently caress this up in 3...2...1...

In lighter news, LAFC is being really annoying and actually trying to fix their defense. How rude.

https://twitter.com/LAFC/status/1491872162348613635

Doctor Teeth
Sep 12, 2008

actual lmao

https://twitter.com/markjburns88/status/1491761547709931520

Troy Queef
Jan 12, 2013

please tell me we'll see other classic UFC sponsors like DYNAMIC FASTENER or CONDOM DEPOT or THE GUN STORE coming soon

BelovedWebPatron
Nov 30, 2015

https://twitter.com/NickKelly/status/1491974471007326244
Charlotte is gonna be fascinating if nothing else this year. I can't say I've heard an expansion team manager say "We're Screwed" before the season began, kind of refreshing to be honest

binge crotching
Apr 2, 2010

That's going to make Cincy happy to have some competition for the spoon.

whypick1
Dec 18, 2009

BelovedWebPatron posted:

Charlotte is gonna be fascinating if nothing else this year. I can't say I've heard an expansion team manager say "We're Screwed" before the season began, kind of refreshing to be honest

Maybe saw Ronny Deila say back in March “We have a very young squad, the depth in this squad is not good enough to do something in MLS...We need more quality players” then go onto win MLS Cup and is trying to replicate that.

binge crotching posted:

That's going to make Cincy happy to have some competition for the spoon.

They play each other March 26 (at Charlotte) and September 3 (at Cincy). The latter realistically could decide the Spoon.

e: Super-long Twitter thread detailing all of the fuckups the Timbers/Thorns FO have done just in regards to Paul Riley and Andy Polo, with receipts/news articles:

https://twitter.com/ScrambledMeggs/status/1492048075086438401

In case it wasn't obvious before: Build a bonfire, put Gavin on the top, put Merritt in the middle and burn the loving lot.

whypick1 fucked around with this message at 21:24 on Feb 11, 2022

BelovedWebPatron
Nov 30, 2015

Made me think of when my college's football coach said "I'm working with a pile of crap out there" and proceeded to go 3-9 and get fired

Moktaro
Aug 3, 2007
I value call my nuts.

Troy Queef posted:

please tell me we'll see other classic UFC sponsors like DYNAMIC FASTENER or CONDOM DEPOT or THE GUN STORE coming soon

Spatula City...oh wait, that's UHF.

highme
May 25, 2001

whypick1 posted:

In case it wasn't obvious before: Build a bonfire, put Gavin on the top, put Merritt in the middle and burn the loving lot.

Don’t forget to include Mike Golub on that pyre.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gigi Galli
Sep 19, 2003

Troy Queef posted:

CORN NUTS and MICKEYS when

Seriously though I love both of those things.