Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dallan Invictus
Oct 11, 2007

The thing about words is that meanings can twist just like a snake, and if you want to find snakes, look for them behind words that have changed their meaning.

highme posted:

Weird they omitted Ted Unkel from that list, because he’s retiring too.

I thought he was only retiring from the international list?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dallan Invictus
Oct 11, 2007

The thing about words is that meanings can twist just like a snake, and if you want to find snakes, look for them behind words that have changed their meaning.

insider posted:

Late post but just want to post that Steve Clark is a loving snake and his wife lies likes its her loving job. gently caress that guy.

Houston posters (do we even have any?) this is your future on Steve Clark's Crazy Championship Curse.

Dallan Invictus
Oct 11, 2007

whypick1 posted:

It feels weird to have the MLS team committing highway robbery for once.

I mean didn't they want like 15-20m? (which seemed unlikely to me in this market)

Dallan Invictus fucked around with this message at 22:58 on Jan 1, 2022

Dallan Invictus
Oct 11, 2007

G-Hawk posted:

thats a spicy turn. huge fee. know gently caress all about augsburg

i know theres weirdness in how mls transfer fees work but i wonder how much revenue dallas has made on transfers over the last few years. in the scheme of mls revenue it has to be a lot

The remaining weirdness is only in terms of the cap (since the league stopped taking a cut of homegrowns' transfer fees like five years ago), but honestly this has just been a particularly good year for them - most of the last few years they've been average in revenue since the McKennie-tier kids were leaving for free rather than signing MLS deals. Cannon last year left for a couple of mill (did Boavista ever actually pay them? ) but this year they really got paid, between Reynolds, Tessman, and Pepi - that's like 30m between them where a) the average MLS team makes like $2m in transfer sales in a year, and b) the best available estimates suggest that FCD as a club doesn't earn much more than that in a given year on its own (as in, ignoring earnings from their share of SUM).

Dallan Invictus
Oct 11, 2007

G-Hawk posted:

The new media rights deal is likely being priced in a bit and mls teams seem to be spending more freely in general, on transfer fees, gam, and contracts. It feels like about half the clubs are going to break their transfer fee record this offseason.

I can't recall any month with this much notable player movement in MLS before

Not just the new media deal (obviously FOs may know more about it than we do), but in general the new CBA both raised the base cap/budget (and thus the max cap charge, and thus the maximum you can spend on an incoming transfer in either fee or salary before you have to start using Garberbucks), added more Garberbucks (ie, raised the cap again, just in a way that is tradeable in less convoluted ways than other US sports where teams will do it by trading one deadwood contract for another), and started the phaseout of TAM (ie, most of the Garberbucks teams get are and will become more broadly usable than they used to be). Plus more teams are making big sales abroad, and even though there's a cap on how much of each individual sale turns into Garberbucks those can still add up if you're getting your successful team/successful academy loving pillaged from abroad (sup Dallas/New England?)

Basically Federal Reserve economic stimulus MLS-style. End result: more in-league moves, more actual spending, quite possibly more hilarious failures for us to laugh at certain GMs for next year.

Dallan Invictus
Oct 11, 2007

TwoStepBoog posted:

tl;dr basically "money" that can either be used within the league or to exceed the salary cap
GAM is kind of worth more than just selling a player to other leagues because GAM has to be used on acquiring new players
atleast that's my idiot interpretation

Most of this is true (when I'm not joking around I like to call the various flavours of Garberbucks "salary cap credits" because that makes it more clear what they actually do), but there's no limitation on using GAM on current vs. new players (that's TAM, and maybe not even that anymore), but it's still worth more than selling a player to other leagues because while you get SOME GAM from selling a player abroad for actual money, there's a limit to how much of it you get no matter how big the transfer is (currently around $1m, IIRC).

Most MLS teams' owners, aside from your San Joses etc, have more actual money than the rules will let them spend (some have much, much more), so the cap flexibility from getting more Garberbucks is more valuable than the money for the success of the team, unless it's A LOT of money.

Dallan Invictus fucked around with this message at 03:48 on Jan 21, 2022

Dallan Invictus
Oct 11, 2007

paddyboat posted:

(I have no idea why philly is selling this seemingly good player)

Because they're replacing him with this guy (top scorer from the Danish league last year):

https://twitter.com/thegoalkeeper/status/1484941051076960260

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dallan Invictus
Oct 11, 2007

Yeah, the talent dilution argument kinda works for domestic talent (expansion teams usually end up with other teams' castoffs via the exp draft or free agency, at least until they get academies running or get really lucky with high draft picks) but the difference between expansion here and the NFL/MLB/NHL/NBA is that an expansion MLS team has enough money to pillage recruit from a surprisingly high number of foreign leagues, and unlike in those other sports, that talent pool can paper over a loooot of cracks if you're good at it like early Atlanta and LAFC were.