Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

a new study bible!
Feb 2, 2009

BIG DICK NICK
A Philadelphia Legend
Fly Eagles Fly

text editor posted:

holy poo poo they parodied that Detroit self defense dude I cannot avoid on youtube

chris redd loving the footstool is also from a real video

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Toxic Fart Syndrome
Jul 2, 2006

*hits A-THREAD-5*

Only 3.6 Roentgoons per hour ... not great, not terrible.

...the meter only goes to 3.6...

Pork Pro
I like this William Eyelash. Kid’s got moxie.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."

a new study bible! posted:

chris redd loving the footstool is also from a real video

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ncpcZTPt01E

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
Studying the art of terrorists
To keep you safe

So this is gonna be a recurring bit, then? Alright then.

Am I the only one who finds this painfully unfunny?

mcbexx
Jul 4, 2004

British dentistry is
not on trial here!

Is it just me or does Billie Eilish give off some huge (younger) ScarJo vibes with her new style? I think there is quite the resemblance, especially during the first musical act.

Must have been weird for Colin.
But maybe it's just the goon face blindness striking again.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
Don't be mean, I think Billie is great and charismatic.

thrawn527 posted:

So this is gonna be a recurring bit, then? Alright then.

Am I the only one who finds this painfully unfunny?

I liked the puppy dress! and I don't think this character concept is that funny, but also I like it anyway?

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
Studying the art of terrorists
To keep you safe

Khanstant posted:

Don't be mean, I think Billie is great and charismatic.

I liked the puppy dress! and I don't think this character concept is that funny, but also I like it anyway?

The puppy dress was indeed cute. But the…everything else just isn’t funny.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
Bring back MadTV so when there's a bad character you get to see it 15 times and at least one of those times will eventually make you laugh because of the "kristen schaal is a horse" principle.

feetnotes
Jan 29, 2008

I thought the first one with Angelo was really funny, but this one was too much of the exact same thing. They could keep the core concepts -- his shy mannerisms, weird underwhelming performance, and the contrast of getting or not getting simple vs. complex prompts -- but mix up where he is, how his performance works, etc. Giving it the exact same setting, with 2 people explaining the joke from a table, and him singing the EXACT same little not-song, already felt old a second time. Surprise is important in a joke, it's not funny if you know how the whole thing will play out beat-by-beat.

SLICK GOKU BABY
Jun 12, 2001

Hey Hey Let's Go! 喧嘩する
大切な物を protect my balls

It was a bad sketch... which is probably why it was cut and didn't air... They just put it on YouTube.

feetnotes
Jan 29, 2008

Oh, that makes sense, I didn't catch the show live this week.

DaveWoo
Aug 14, 2004

Fun Shoe

feetnotes posted:

I thought the first one with Angelo was really funny, but this one was too much of the exact same thing. They could keep the core concepts -- his shy mannerisms, weird underwhelming performance, and the contrast of getting or not getting simple vs. complex prompts -- but mix up where he is, how his performance works, etc. Giving it the exact same setting, with 2 people explaining the joke from a table, and him singing the EXACT same little not-song, already felt old a second time. Surprise is important in a joke, it's not funny if you know how the whole thing will play out beat-by-beat.

This has been a recurring problem with SNL lately - repeating the exact same sketches beat-by-beat, with no variation. Take the cake sketch from a few weeks ago, for another example - they've done that exact same sketch at least three times now.

a new study bible!
Feb 2, 2009

BIG DICK NICK
A Philadelphia Legend
Fly Eagles Fly

The Mikey Day is a soldier whose wife cheats on him one has also been done basically verbatim at least twice.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

a new study bible! posted:

The Mikey Day is a soldier whose wife cheats on him one has also been done basically verbatim at least twice.

I'm a fan of that sketch, I don't care.

Dracula Factory
Sep 7, 2007

DaveWoo posted:

This has been a recurring problem with SNL lately - repeating the exact same sketches beat-by-beat, with no variation. Take the cake sketch from a few weeks ago, for another example - they've done that exact same sketch at least three times now.

I think they might be trying to do "What up with that?" again with a few things. But that kind of repetitive joke/sketch has to be done well to make it funny every time when the whole joke is that it's the same every time. I think the Angelo stuff could be funny, there's good elements in there but it doesn't quite come together.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

GreenNight posted:

I'm a fan of that sketch, I don't care.

Yeah, it always feels short enough and provides enough gags I'm happy to see that one every so often. The Californians, however...

a new study bible!
Feb 2, 2009

BIG DICK NICK
A Philadelphia Legend
Fly Eagles Fly

Dracula Factory posted:

I think they might be trying to do "What up with that?" again with a few things. But that kind of repetitive joke/sketch has to be done well to make it funny every time when the whole joke is that it's the same every time.

You basically need Keenan to carry every sketch.

TheBizzness
Oct 5, 2004

Reign on me.

EL BROMANCE posted:

Yeah, it always feels short enough and provides enough gags I'm happy to see that one every so often. The Californians, however...

I hated the Californians when it happened but now I look back at it fondly for some reason?

Maybe I just likes the premise and now that I don’t have to watch it go on forever I can enjoy it.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

I mean it's been ages since that was a thing.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."

mcbexx posted:

Is it just me or does Billie Eilish give off some huge (younger) ScarJo vibes with her new style?

Nah, I made the same comment to my boyfriend. I’ve only ever seen Eilish look miserable in any photo I’ve seen of her, so seeing her smile for the first time, I noticed the resemblance too.

TheBizzness posted:

I hated the Californians when it happened but now I look back at it fondly for some reason?

Maybe I just likes the premise and now that I don’t have to watch it go on forever I can enjoy it.

I like watching Bill Hader break every time in those sketches. :allears:

Mr. Funny Pants
Apr 9, 2001

TheBizzness posted:

That sketch also gets funnier when you hear Hader's story about its origin and especially how Fred Armisen broke him and Kristen Wiig the first time they did it.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aXooblIutXM

And here's the sketch, Armisen loving with them happens around :45.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aXooblIutXM

MadJackal
Apr 30, 2004

https://twitter.com/nbcsnl/status/1472302468344254470?s=20

:sigh:

Toxic Fart Syndrome
Jul 2, 2006

*hits A-THREAD-5*

Pork Pro
We should be in a total shutdown two weeks ago. :shrug:

pwn
May 27, 2004

This Christmas get "Shoes"

:pwn: :pwn: :pwn: :pwn: :pwn:
I figured something was up when Bowen and Kyle Zoomed their respective interviews on Fallon and Seth on Thursday. Bowen not going down to 6 for Jimmy was weird enough, but Kyle not going a few feet over to Seth’s studio 8G was the real alarm bell.

https://twitter.com/thatweekinsnl/status/1472306649075437568?s=21

As for tonight’s promos, they exist

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nAXbkxoiHho

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0thAoUXNg1U

There is also a great one where Rudd keeps trying to sound out Charli’s last “name,” which does not appear to be online anywhere I can find. It was run on the Today show this morning. I stupidly deleted it before clipping that, assuming I would find it online. C’est la vie my dudes. Never assume, always verify.

Tonight, Paul Rudd joins the Five Timers Club, and Charli XCX joins the Two Timers Club. With no audience, it sure is a way to close out the year. We’ll see if they resist the urge to, ah, “sweeten” the audio. (Hint: They likely will not resist.)

Tonight is also (supposedly) the final episode for director Don Roy King, who has been with the show since 2006. He stayed on for the first half of the season to help transition the show’s new director, Liz Patrick. I have yet to confirm that this will in fact be his last show, but that was what Don said right before the season began, that he would stay on through December.

And tonight’s Vintage: Ellen Degeneras with No Doubt from December 15 2001. The thing I remember most about this episode was that it was during a brief period where NBC was running liquor ads on an experimental basis, which had been banned from network broadcast television for years at the time. Local stations were allowed to cover the scandalous 30 seconds with their own inventory if they deemed it too hot to air in their market, which many did, including my own station, WEAU. It was an ad for Guinness UDV whiskey, and I cannot locate a clip of it online. Anyway, pretty quaint to look back on that, now that hard alcohol has been back on broadcast television for some time. The actual show was entirely unremarkable, but it’s been a while since I saw it, so hopefully there’s some good stuff somewhere in there.

Weird fact: Ellen’s episode of SNL predated her talk show by about 21 months. Her director was Liz Patrick, who left the show last year and will be taking over SNL directing next month.

InsensitiveSeaBass
Apr 1, 2008

You're entering a realm which is unusual. Maybe it's magic, or contains some kind of monster... The second one. Prepare to enter The Scary Door.
Nap Ghost
Paul Rudd should just play all of Mac & Me instead of a show.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Charli XCX is out.

Starting to wonder if this episode will actually happen tbh.

pwn
May 27, 2004

EL BROMANCE posted:

Charli XCX is out.

Starting to wonder if this episode will actually happen tbh.

Holy poo poo

https://twitter.com/charli_xcx/status/1472329132675534848?s=21

poo poo IS CHANGING AS I POST

anyway this would be an excellent time to let the loving SNL Band play a couple songs. Please? Is that a thing we can have happen?

pwn
May 27, 2004

You have one of the world’s premiere bands already there. Point a few cameras at them. Resist the urge to go to commercial. I know you can do this

Toxic Fart Syndrome
Jul 2, 2006

*hits A-THREAD-5*

Pork Pro
So glad I have today off... :suspense:

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

https://twitter.com/nypost/status/1472300108855267328

pwn
May 27, 2004

The show must go on, fuckers

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.
Just get the cast to sing songs with a karaoke machine.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

But not to the point of potential death, thanks.

Sivart13
May 18, 2003
I have neglected to come up with a clever title

Charli XCX posted:

myself, caroline, christine and all our crews have worked so hard
aw, I didn't realize they were going to be there all together. I don't like all of Charli's recent music but I do like that song.

If they weren't in the habit of posting "cut for time" skits every week they could do one new dumb topical sketch and stitch the rest of the show together out of cut material. Or maybe they could just air some stuff that was Too Hot For Cut For Time.

Mr Ice Cream Glove
Apr 22, 2007

quote:

According to the New York Post, several SNL cast members, including Weekend Update anchor and head writer Colin Jost,

ArtVandelay
Jul 13, 2004

Cancel the drat show, give Rudd the 5 timers club he deserves in a few months when things back to seminormal

InsensitiveSeaBass
Apr 1, 2008

You're entering a realm which is unusual. Maybe it's magic, or contains some kind of monster... The second one. Prepare to enter The Scary Door.
Nap Ghost

Sivart13 posted:

If they weren't in the habit of posting "cut for time" skits every week they could do one new dumb topical sketch and stitch the rest of the show together out of cut material. Or maybe they could just air some stuff that was Too Hot For Cut For Time.

You might get your wish?

https://nypost.com/2021/12/18/tina-fey-to-sub-for-colin-jost-amid-snl-covid-19-outbreak/

Someone who doesn't fear Lorne posted:

An insider told The Post that there will be “minimal” crew for tonight’s sketch show — whatever form it might take — and that the only cast member who stayed behind was longtime staffer Kenan Thompson, 43, who would be available to introduce pre-taped video segments. The source said they were “not sure what they were going to do” as far as structuring the episode, adding that a “clip show” was even a possibility.

Dracula Factory
Sep 7, 2007

All things considered, Kenan doing a clip show would be pretty acceptable.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

Jean-Luc, blow up the drat ship!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pwn
May 27, 2004

Just confirmed that they are taping wraparounds for prerecorded segments, including old material.