Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.

The_Doctor posted:

Jean-Luc, blow up the drat ship!

Kenan is running everything from the battle bridge while everyone else has impulsed away in the saucer section.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pwn
May 27, 2004

This Christmas get "Shoes"

:pwn: :pwn: :pwn: :pwn: :pwn:

pwn posted:

Just confirmed that they are taping wraparounds for prerecorded segments, including old material.

Quoting myself from bottom of last page

Also

https://twitter.com/pagesix/status/1472349212360724481?s=21

SLICK GOKU BABY
Jun 12, 2001

Hey Hey Let's Go! 喧嘩する
大切な物を protect my balls

Hmm a clip show with Kenan & weekend update with Tina? Has the workings of the best SNL episode of the season.

Toxic Fart Syndrome
Jul 2, 2006

*hits A-THREAD-5*

Only 3.6 Roentgoons per hour ... not great, not terrible.

...the meter only goes to 3.6...

Pork Pro
Has the show ever cancelled before?

BigBallChunkyTime
Nov 25, 2011

Kyle Schwarber: World Series hero, Beefy Lad, better than you.

Illegal Hen
To be a fly on the wall at 30 Rock right now.

BigBallChunkyTime
Nov 25, 2011

Illegal Hen

Toxic Fart Syndrome posted:

Sort of, if you count the "SNL at Home" episodes they did after lockdowns first started

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.

The closest they came was in December of 1989 when, on Friday night, someone finally cornered Lorne and had a serious conversation with him about the next evening's host/musical guest, GG Allin.

BigBallChunkyTime
Nov 25, 2011

Illegal Hen

Teriyaki Hairpiece posted:

The closest they came was in December of 1989 when, on Friday night, someone finally cornered Lorne and had a serious conversation with him about the next evening's host/musical guest, GG Allin.

What's the story there?

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

BigBallChunkyTime posted:

What's the story there?

It's just a story I made up that I thought was funny, I'm sorry. The idea that Lorne put late-80's GG Allin on the schedule for the Christmas episode because he heard something at a dinner party, and no one ever questions or contradicts Lorne no matter what, gave me a reasonable chuckle.

Toxic Fart Syndrome
Jul 2, 2006

*hits A-THREAD-5*

Pork Pro
Yeah, I don't count the lockdown :airquote: zoomisodes :airquote: because those were planned.

This is just completely flying by the seat of their pants, it seems like, with no real plan: only reactions. I'm sure there has never been a change this big, this close to air, but also wonder if the show has ever just not aired at all when it was planned to be live.

pwn
May 27, 2004

Writers strikes have caused shows to not happen, as did Covid back in March last year. The closest to a written, rehearsed, ready-to-air show being canceled was in October 1986, when the World Series was being carried by NBC and game five went into extra innings. After waiting around until something like 1 AM, Lorne decided to tape the show for the (exhausted) audience and air it later. The show would air two weeks later. But this, tonight, hasn’t happened before.

To be clear: Still not sure what the show will be tonight. I’ve seen what was set to be the show rundown for Dress and there were the usual mix of pretaped and live sketches.

BigBallChunkyTime
Nov 25, 2011

Illegal Hen

pwn posted:

Quoting myself from bottom of last page

Also

https://twitter.com/pagesix/status/1472349212360724481?s=21

I know she lives in NYC, but I just have this image of old SNL cast members locked in a room, only to be brought out in case of emergency

MadJackal
Apr 30, 2004

There's a good possibility that tonight's show goes down in SNL history as a massive disaster.

The setup of a close knit group of actors practicing up until the day of the show having a multi-cast-member outbreak at the last minute resulting in recasting, a total shutdown of the audience, and canceling the music guest means that any further developments, like, say multiple other cast members testing positive in the next two weeks will be a PR nightmare risking a 2-3 month total shutdown.

BigBallChunkyTime
Nov 25, 2011

Illegal Hen

MadJackal posted:

There's a good possibility that tonight's show goes down in SNL history as a massive disaster.

The setup of a close knit group of actors practicing up until the day of the show having a multi-cast-member outbreak at the last minute resulting in recasting, a total shutdown of the audience, and canceling the music guest means that any further developments, like, say multiple other cast members testing positive in the next two weeks will be a PR nightmare risking a 2-3 month total shutdown.

Rumor is that Lorne has it, too

You'd think they'd just cancel and throw on a "Best of Christmas" episode or something.

Toxic Fart Syndrome
Jul 2, 2006

*hits A-THREAD-5*

Pork Pro
A good time to mention that everyone should be wearing high-quality respirators in all indoor spaces.

When asking yourself "is this safe to do?" Ask yourself "can I wear a fitted mask of at least N95 protection that seals to my face for the entire duration of the event without removing the mask?"

Robert Facepalmer
Jan 10, 2019

‘Alright Sarah, SquirmTV is a go. Don’t make me regret this...’

pwn
May 27, 2004

BigBallChunkyTime posted:

Rumor is that Lorne has it, too

You'd think they'd just cancel and throw on a "Best of Christmas" episode or something.

quote:

Although some set sources claimed executive producer Lorne Michaels, 77, had tested positive, others have denounced that as “NOT” true — and confirmed that he’s actually on set overseeing tonight’s show right now.

Robert Facepalmer posted:

‘Alright Sarah, SquirmTV is a go. Don’t make me regret this...’

She’s one of the people who I think may have tested positive, along with Athari and Jost.

Robert Facepalmer
Jan 10, 2019

God. Dammit.

Toxic Fart Syndrome
Jul 2, 2006

*hits A-THREAD-5*

Pork Pro

SNL going really hard on pushing COVID misinformation this week.

:ironicat:

pwn
May 27, 2004

Latest word is the three pretapes recorded for this week (“Christmas Socks,” “An Evening with Pete,” “Homegoods”) will air, along with some older seasonal material, with new intros recorded a few hours ago. The whole show is already recorded. Presumably WU will be done remotely but don’t know for sure.

It’s too bad, there was a live sketch called “Charmin Bears,” would have liked to see that.

I always thought that using archival cut bits would be a good Break Glass in Case of Emergency thing in such a situation. They’ve been taping and saving dress rehearsals since 1985, there’s a deep catalogue

SLICK GOKU BABY
Jun 12, 2001

Hey Hey Let's Go! 喧嘩する
大切な物を protect my balls

Tom Hanks? Well okay.

Toxic Fart Syndrome
Jul 2, 2006

*hits A-THREAD-5*

Pork Pro
Papa Hanks, he already beat COVID once...

Push El Burrito
May 9, 2006

Soiled Meat
I like to believe Martin Short lives in Steve Martin's basement.

Toxic Fart Syndrome
Jul 2, 2006

*hits A-THREAD-5*

Pork Pro
It’s like if Talk Soup or Tosh.0 had a saxophone and piano.

Toxic Fart Syndrome
Jul 2, 2006

*hits A-THREAD-5*

Pork Pro
Just realized there was no cold open or LFNY...
:suspense:

OldSenileGuy
Mar 13, 2001
We’ll it’s not live, so that makes sense

pwn
May 27, 2004

I’ve always loved how you can tell they recorded most of this on Conan’s set.

OldSenileGuy
Mar 13, 2001
I wonder if this show is just gonna be like 75% commercials

pwn
May 27, 2004

OldSenileGuy posted:

I wonder if this show is just gonna be like 75% commercials

Same amount of commercials as every other show, but so far the show isn’t top-heavy like normal. Usually we don’t hit the second break until 30 minutes in

This Pete thing is amazing without an audience

Push El Burrito
May 9, 2006

Soiled Meat
A box of weed is a good gift.

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!
Really felt like something Mullaney wrote for him.

Toxic Fart Syndrome
Jul 2, 2006

*hits A-THREAD-5*

Pork Pro
He eats a whole turkey before every show...

OldSenileGuy
Mar 13, 2001
I remember I hated this sketch the first time. If they wanted a Ryan Gosling Christmas sketch they should have done Santa Baby

Mooseontheloose
May 13, 2003

This skit is funny for the wrong reasons now.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."
Can they do a Vincent Price Christmas Special?

pwn
May 27, 2004

https://twitter.com/thatweekinsnl/status/1472433083903324160?s=21

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Dear lord this one is going on forever

TheBizzness
Oct 5, 2004

Reign on me.
Didn’t realize Tom Hanks had already hosted 5 times by 1991.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."
Man, that wasn’t good and it went on forever.

Oh god, a Miley Cyrus and Pete Davidson NYE special? Oh boy, that has disaster written all over it. :dance:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mooseontheloose
May 13, 2003

What? SNL is all about celebrating its high points? The first few seasons, 1988 to like 1993, 1996 to Early 2000s, and then the Wiig/Hader/Samberg era?