Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Push El Burrito
May 9, 2006

Soiled Meat

They probably shouldn't have.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pwn
May 27, 2004

This Christmas get "Shoes"

:pwn: :pwn: :pwn: :pwn: :pwn:

Mooseontheloose posted:

What? SNL is all about celebrating its high points? The first few seasons, 1988 to like 1993, 1996 to Early 2000s, and then the Wiig/Hader/Samberg era?

Eh, the clipshows are mainly 2005-present these days, so it’s nice to see.

Update!

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."
Oh god, this is so weird.

pwn
May 27, 2004

Note: SNL adhering to their practice of no NBC bug during first-run Update, even under these most unusual of circumstances.

Mooseontheloose
May 13, 2003

The faux 70s radio voice guy they get for this Licorice Pizza ad annoys me.

SLICK GOKU BABY
Jun 12, 2001

Hey Hey Let's Go! 喧嘩する
大切な物を protect my balls

Interesting to have the weekend update without the set and with Michael Che going with the casual look.

Push El Burrito
May 9, 2006

Soiled Meat
I'm extremely invested in this bird.

Edit: Hell yes this is a Christmas classic.

Push El Burrito fucked around with this message at 06:28 on Dec 19, 2021

OldSenileGuy
Mar 13, 2001
I was kinda hoping that was gonna be a setup to Paul Rudd doing the Steve Martin Christmas wish sketch. Under normal circumstances that would be a pretty hack-y thing to do, but given the current circumstances I think it could have been fun

pwn
May 27, 2004

OldSenileGuy posted:

I was kinda hoping that was gonna be a setup to Paul Rudd doing the Steve Martin Christmas wish sketch. Under normal circumstances that would be a pretty hack-y thing to do, but given the current circumstances I think it could have been fun

Yeah, agreed. drat it.

https://twitter.com/btuckertime/status/1472436650856886273?s=21

pwn fucked around with this message at 06:39 on Dec 19, 2021

SLICK GOKU BABY
Jun 12, 2001

Hey Hey Let's Go! 喧嘩する
大切な物を protect my balls

Probably really sucks for the writers for the sketches for tonight to have it all cancelled. Like they probably wrote a bunch of Christmas sketches and won't be usable when they (maybe) return to the set in a few weeks for the next show...

Like any other week, the sketches would still work, but not with the Christmas sketches...

Push El Burrito
May 9, 2006

Soiled Meat
Paul Rudd is a huge One Direction and Weezer fan.

Edit: That was Matt Damon. Matt Damon is the Weezer fan.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."
Every time I see a Christmas car commercial, I just think of this one:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WcEylCwkSxE

pwn
May 27, 2004

Well, that got me teary-eyed.

Toxic Fart Syndrome
Jul 2, 2006

*hits A-THREAD-5*

Only 3.6 Roentgoons per hour ... not great, not terrible.

...the meter only goes to 3.6...

Pork Pro
Here is our musical act! :sax:

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Yeah, I miss Beck in those roles so much.

Enjoyed the fresh material plenty fine, the clip choices themselves seemed… messy. Stuff that’s been on the usual yearly Christmas show next to stuff that probably should’ve stayed as YouTube clips. All kinda seemed a bit pointless, and running cut for time stuff might’ve been more fun even if it didn’t have a Christmas theme. Just a shame of all episodes, this was the one that couldn’t happen as planned.

Maybe a contingency plan wouldn’t have been the worst thing.

Mister Kingdom
Dec 14, 2005

And the tears that fall
On the city wall
Will fade away
With the rays of morning light

Toxic Fart Syndrome posted:

Has the show ever cancelled before?

It was really close to being cancelled after season six.

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
Studying the art of terrorists
To keep you safe

Well, that was weird.

Dracula Factory
Sep 7, 2007

Definitely an odd one, I suppose it's better than nothing but I would much rather see zero show along with zero covid cases for the cast and crew, I wish the US wasn't so hard against lockdown. At any rate, “You guys know how I was a famous sex symbol for reasons no one could understand?” got a serious laugh out of me and I hope they can bring Rudd back soon for a proper 5 timers sketch, they're corny and pretty masturbatory but I like them anyway.

Thundercracker
Jun 25, 2004

Proudly serving the Ruinous Powers since as a veteran of the long war.
College Slice

The_Doctor posted:

What's the best Beck jackass dad skit? For me the prom picture one is up there.

je1 healthcare
Sep 29, 2015

Mister Kingdom posted:

It was really close to being cancelled after season six.

There were a couple of ratings low points, like in season 2 and 6. And whichever season it was in the 90s when they fired practically everyone including Chris Rock and Sandler

Current SNL ratings are comparable to their past low points, but TV ratings across the board have been declining for the past decade. It's weird to think how the format might survive without live television. Yeah they transitioned nicely to youtube, but those youtube numbers are going to cover about 4 people's salaries

The Nastier Nate
May 22, 2005

All aboard the corona bus!

HONK! HONK!

Yams Fan
watching this now and Home Good and an Evening with Pete Davidson were great.

Involuntary Sparkle
Aug 12, 2004

Chemo-kitties can have “accidents” too!

The_Doctor posted:

Every type I hear the acronym APR now I think of this clip. "With 0% apur I think it's all good!"

Thankfully my partner and I are in complete agreement that we do not make major purchases without discussing ahead of time.

Mooseontheloose
May 13, 2003

Lorne Michael's talks potential SNL retirement in three years.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
ah, so three years of increasingly frequent and fervent articles constantly speculating who.

gently caress that, bring me barrabus! Now!!!

pwn
May 27, 2004

Actual video that the AV Club wrote their “story” from

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TbAH77TGHik

SLICK GOKU BABY
Jun 12, 2001

Hey Hey Let's Go! 喧嘩する
大切な物を protect my balls

3 years to mold Kenan into being the showrunner!

blunt
Jul 7, 2005

SLICK GOKU BABY posted:

3 years to mold Seth into being the showrunner!

Toxic Fart Syndrome
Jul 2, 2006

*hits A-THREAD-5*

Pork Pro
Kenan is already a modern Eddie Murphy...he just needs to host the show as a cast member to complete the ritual.

Toxic Fart Syndrome
Jul 2, 2006

*hits A-THREAD-5*

Pork Pro

Toxic Fart Syndrome posted:

Kenan is already a modern Eddie Murphy...he just needs to host the show as a cast member to complete the ritual.

Just realizing this most recent episode is where this almost happened...

Mr. Funny Pants
Apr 9, 2001

Seriously, who would be good for the position? Who would take it? I'm trying to think of people with writing experience and who don't have a need to be on camera.

Conan- He lost the opportunity to host one TV institution, maybe he'd like to take the reins of another? I don't think he'd want to move back to NYC nor do I think he'd want to go back to those hours, but he's perfectly qualified.

Tina Fey- She appears to have dropped into a largely behind the scenes career producing and making the occasional guest appearance and again, she's got the resume'.

John Mulaney- He's done the show, he knows the grind, and he's respected (minus recent events).

(This one has a less than zero chance but I'll throw it out there anyway) Scott Aukerman- He's incubated a ton of top comedy talent, has directing and writing experience. No way in Hell he'd want to and no way in Hell NBC would give it to him, but my dumb rear end brain tossed it out.

Kenan- Probably the one most likely to take the job and probably the one NBC would feel safest with.

Any other ideas? It would be nice to have some new blood willing to take more chances and do humor with real bite to it, particularly the political stuff, which is so tepid currently.

Thundercracker
Jun 25, 2004

Proudly serving the Ruinous Powers since as a veteran of the long war.
College Slice
John Mulaney is gonna 100% relapse and he has a child of surprise.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Mr. Funny Pants posted:

Any other ideas? It would be nice to have some new blood willing to take more chances and do humor with real bite to it, particularly the political stuff, which is so tepid currently.

The long-standing rumor is that the EP job is Seth Meyers' if he wants it.

Mr. Funny Pants posted:

Conan- He lost the opportunity to host one TV institution, maybe he'd like to take the reins of another? I don't think he'd want to move back to NYC nor do I think he'd want to go back to those hours, but he's perfectly qualified.

Conan would sooner chew off his own testicles than get into business with NBC again.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007

Mr. Funny Pants posted:

(This one has a less than zero chance but I'll throw it out there anyway) Scott Aukerman- He's incubated a ton of top comedy talent, has directing and writing experience. No way in Hell he'd want to and no way in Hell NBC would give it to him, but my dumb rear end brain tossed it out.

no chance in hell this is even a possibility but oh man what a wonderful dream. poo poo, i'd settle for just having him host if that means he got to write some sketches for that episode. SNL lost the experimental chaos it once had and SNL+CBB would certainly be experimental chaos

Toxic Fart Syndrome
Jul 2, 2006

*hits A-THREAD-5*

Pork Pro

Timby posted:

The long-standing rumor is that the EP job is Seth Meyers' if he wants it.

What!? That can’t be white...I mean white...I mean right.

Seriously, if they snub Kenan for Meyers I will have no good thoughts.

pwn
May 27, 2004

Amongst the SNL cognoscenti, the job is down to three: Meyers, Thompson, Higgins

Which probably means it’ll be someone else altogether, for that is the way of the Lorne: you think he’s gonna zig, then he zags

MadJackal
Apr 30, 2004

It's funny, it's hard to separate the importance of Lorne from the comedy institution and decades of talent and infrastructure he assembled that is modern SNL. The institution will live on for decades for sure, regardless of who takes over, because of that infrastructure.

If I were Lorne I'd set up the inheritor of his seat the way they pick popes. No joke. Take the most talented / most ambitious alumni from the show, get them in a room together and vote on who should bear the burden. Lock corporate NBC out of the building during the voting process.

The Nastier Nate
May 22, 2005

All aboard the corona bus!

HONK! HONK!

Yams Fan

pwn posted:

Amongst the SNL cognoscenti, the job is down to three: Meyers, Thompson, Higgins

Which probably means it’ll be someone else altogether, for that is the way of the Lorne: you think he’s gonna zig, then he zags

can Kenan be a cast member and showrunner?

R. Guyovich
Dec 25, 1991

Mr. Funny Pants posted:

god i would love this

OldSenileGuy
Mar 13, 2001
I think, in order of most likely to least likely, it’s gonna be one of Seth Meyers, Tina Fey, or Kenan.

I’m actually not sure why people think it will be Kenan other than the fact that he’s been a cast member for almost 20 years. Does he do any producing or any of the other behind the scenes type stuff that Lorne does?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mooseontheloose
May 13, 2003

OldSenileGuy posted:

I think, in order of most likely to least likely, it’s gonna be one of Seth Meyers, Tina Fey, or Kenan.

I’m actually not sure why people think it will be Kenan other than the fact that he’s been a cast member for almost 20 years. Does he do any producing or any of the other behind the scenes type stuff that Lorne does?

I think like Myers, Keenan has an eye for talent and how to construct scenes at least that's how it comes across in interviews. He understands the mechanics.

Myers was never the most guffaw funny guy on SNL but when you hear him talk about the writing process and how things work he understands how to make thinks work at a mechanical level that you need in a producer.