Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mercury_Storm
Jun 12, 2003

*chomp chomp chomp*
Is this even a real sequel or did they just re-package the first game?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kevin Bacon
Sep 22, 2010

I think it's a new game, at least in terms of engine, assets and stuff. Don't know if they've used much/any old content though, but I feel like most stuff is new

Fuck Man
Jul 5, 2004

i think the system concepts are the same and lots of things like skills and names are analogous to the first one

there are some newbie friendly guilds out there. i'm starting to get an understanding of some of the politics in towns. for example, yesterday i joined up with the artisans, a hunting and taming guild that's newbie friendly, to do a run into the jungle from meduli to kill lizard men for their scales. the artisans are part of a coalition in meduli to make it safe from pk. other cities have different politics between the guilds so you get cities where pk is plentiful. we had a good sized crew and they taught us some of their trade routes for getting around.

SweetBro
May 12, 2014

Did you read that sister?
Yes, truly a shitposter's post. I read it, Rem.
Did they remove the stupid pickpocket mechanic? IIRC it was the one mechanic in the original that literally had no redeeming qualities.

Kevin Bacon
Sep 22, 2010

It's not in the game right now, but some form of thievery is planned for some point. They did mention the old system didn't work, so hopefully the new system will be better

SweetBro
May 12, 2014

Did you read that sister?
Yes, truly a shitposter's post. I read it, Rem.
I feel like PvP thievery in a MMO is fundamentally non-functional. It's just a shittier version of PvP that exists to bypass PvP restrictions that doesn't actually add anything of value to the game.

Jimlit
Jun 30, 2005

SweetBro posted:

I feel like PvP thievery in a MMO is fundamentally non-functional. It's just a shittier version of PvP that exists to bypass PvP restrictions that doesn't actually add anything of value to the game.

This all the way. The way it played out in MO1, most experienced players knew how to avoid getting pickpocketed so really it only negatively effected new and inexperienced players.

Deki
May 12, 2008

It's Hammer Time!
The only thing I really liked about MO1 was that it was a huge object lesson in not believing the hype and preordering games.

I went and bought the preorder poo poo to be in the first wave of beta and wrestled with the installer for way too long. Then when I finally got the game running, I kept getting booted midway through character creation. Then when I finally got past that, I spawned in a lake T-posed and unmovable looking straight down at a lovingly rendered penis. I gave it another shot a few years later and it was an incomprehensible game that still looked way shittier than the marketting screenshots from pre-launch.

I get that betas are betas, but boy was I ticked. If MO2 isn't a trainwreck, I might give it a try since I loved both iterations of Darkfall, but I'm waiting at least a week post-launch to see how it pans out.

Lorem ipsum
Sep 25, 2007
IF I REPORT SOMETHING, BAN ME.

Deki posted:

The only thing I really liked about MO1 was that it was a huge object lesson in not believing the hype and preordering games.

I went and bought the preorder poo poo to be in the first wave of beta and wrestled with the installer for way too long. Then when I finally got the game running, I kept getting booted midway through character creation. Then when I finally got past that, I spawned in a lake T-posed and unmovable looking straight down at a lovingly rendered penis. I gave it another shot a few years later and it was an incomprehensible game that still looked way shittier than the marketting screenshots from pre-launch.

I get that betas are betas, but boy was I ticked. If MO2 isn't a trainwreck, I might give it a try since I loved both iterations of Darkfall, but I'm waiting at least a week post-launch to see how it pans out.

Poor RabbiDan is still waiting for his MO1 preorder stuff to arrive in the mail

Kevin Bacon
Sep 22, 2010

Lorem ipsum posted:

Poor RabbiDan is still waiting for his MO1 preorder stuff to arrive in the mail

i actually got my preorder/collectors edition. it was very disappointing. i had fun the beta though, but the game also ended up being very disappointing. i know what im in for with mo2 (though it seems like it already is way better than mo1), but i think im just addicted to mmorpg launches

vermeul
Sep 14, 2014

Free Acid
This should be fun on the 25th (no more wipes). The game has potential I think - although for launch I expect servers to be janky

RustySeabutter
Nov 11, 2000

Puncho!
playin dis

if by a couple days after launch no one throws up a guild/clan/corp/w/e i probably will, cause ive had that sandbox itch for a minute now and i like the bones of this game

Paxman
Feb 7, 2010

gently caress Man posted:

i think the system concepts are the same and lots of things like skills and names are analogous to the first one

there are some newbie friendly guilds out there. i'm starting to get an understanding of some of the politics in towns. for example, yesterday i joined up with the artisans, a hunting and taming guild that's newbie friendly, to do a run into the jungle from meduli to kill lizard men for their scales. the artisans are part of a coalition in meduli to make it safe from pk. other cities have different politics between the guilds so you get cities where pk is plentiful. we had a good sized crew and they taught us some of their trade routes for getting around.

In the absence of an actual Goon guild I'd recommend Artisans as a zergy guild which is happy to teach newbies and give them some resources, but lets you just do what you want. They're PvE in the sense of "not red don't attack" but do PvP.

You can always leave once you've learned how to play.

SoJ57261
Jul 7, 2015

Paxman posted:

In the absence of an actual Goon guild I'd recommend Artisans as a zergy guild which is happy to teach newbies and give them some resources, but lets you just do what you want. They're PvE in the sense of "not red don't attack" but do PvP.

You can always leave once you've learned how to play.

Aren't they a bit too carebear? For people who wanna get some fights maybe one of the real zerg guilds would be better. I.e. Koto or legion.

Fuck Man
Jul 5, 2004

they'll pvp, but they don't engage first

GET INTO DA CHOPPA
Nov 22, 2007
D:
A friend and I will be playing this game. Supposedly, there's a few more people joining too, so a goon+ guild should be realistic.

Interest call for the sovereign nation of muscle wizards!

SoJ57261
Jul 7, 2015
I got a guild as well but if there are enough goons who also play in EU tz I would be interested in switching.

Fuck Man
Jul 5, 2004

definitely down to help out some new folks starting in meduli, not sure if i'll guild up yet or go it alone yet though. i was in artisans for the beta, but didn't do much with them aside from watch bratwire's stream (he had a wild antivax/trudeau rant one day lol). i'm not sure if being in artisans saved me from pk, but i was only jumped once, outside of tindrem, in the month after joining. the artisans will load you up on gear, you don't really have to even participate with them. they understand it's fairly easy to gather when you have a whole crew of people gathering and you split it up later.

i'm going a high dex sheevra build to specialize in dagger combat and crafting. i'll probably skill up in some basic skills like taming and butchering to get money finding horses and killing wildlife. i'm hoping they add lock picking, thieving, poisons, and other sneak options in the future.

they're changing a lot of the spawns around for release so some of my first steps will be gearing up and locating desert horses, cougars, and taur dogs.

Turkina_Prime
Oct 26, 2013

I wish the melee combat was less janky in this game - it has all the right ideas, but holy poo poo the melee stuff just feels so slow and disconnected. If they could polish that up, it'd do wonders.

housemaster!!1
Oct 6, 2015

DUNT 4GEHT 2 FLAAHP UR ARRMAZ
I bought the game yesterday and killed some zombies with other nude players. I think I like the combat system because it reminds me of M&B:WB, but why the gently caress is everyone starting nude without pants? At least you can set the amount of intimate hair on female characters.

I would love to play an archer/tamer who can run away really fast and maybe levitate up to trees. Has anyone played an archer build and can tell me if archery is fun and viable?

Communist Q
Jul 13, 2009

I can't wait to be a crack smoking big foot.

BurtLington posted:

I wish the melee combat was less janky in this game - it has all the right ideas, but holy poo poo the melee stuff just feels so slow and disconnected. If they could polish that up, it'd do wonders.

Yeah, the melee is a bit rough, but the horse archery is good. I'm looking forward to being a horse bandit.

Communist Q fucked around with this message at 02:15 on Jan 25, 2022

Suzera
Oct 6, 2021

This spell rocks. It'll pop you right out of that funk.
I'm still waiting a bit to make a decision, especially seeing how many people jump onto it. There's a discord for many of the sandbox pvp regulars to use as a kind of mailing list and organizing point if you want to use it for Discord organization stuff. If you've played Age of Wushu, early Albion, Atlas, Last Oasis or such you'll probably recognize a lot of people. Seems like at least several there (including several people posting here) are potentially getting into it so I don't mind at least helping with button pushing and setting that stuff up. If there's enough interest can probably ping everyone and drum up a bunch of extra people for at least a few weeks. I'm trying to take an informal poll atm of people who are already in the discord to gauge how interested people are.

Sandcastle Kickers Discord
https://discord.gg/dfeCVEdzhw

What's the general online population of the game like? 2k players? 10k?

Suzera fucked around with this message at 14:39 on Jan 25, 2022

Suzera
Oct 6, 2021

Also I want to pickpocket so the news there's no pickpocketing makes me sad.

Suzera
Oct 6, 2021

Screw it, I've been convinced to buy the game and give it a shot. If you join the Sandcastle discord and tell me your in game name in the MO2 channel there I'll send you a guild invite. Lets get together to get ready to horse bandit or bear terminator or build a house around some people.

Suzera fucked around with this message at 15:13 on Jan 25, 2022

Suzera
Oct 6, 2021

This of course assumes the game ever launches

Necrosaro
Dec 31, 2008

A Necrosaro Appears!
Fun Shoe
I'm watching a few American players on Twitch. The server being in London looks to be causing lag spikes and desyncs too often for this to be worth my time. Steam Charts says 7,565 is the current peak players today.

Suzera
Oct 6, 2021

Yeah, there's plenty of people to fight for a while at least. I had some lag and desync issues in the town in a full Haven (newbie island) instance, but after getting a random mostly empty Haven instance it cleared up.

truther
Oct 22, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT THE BEARS
Bit disappointed that EA and Release aren't much different. Everything is still barren and empty - you come across what are little villages with torches on and no one around.
Same with cities. I can't believes cities like Tindrum (spelling) are still almost completely empty, forcing players to spend like 20mins running through an empty city trying to find a vendor.
Their numbers are still wack and make no sense - 6000 boar meat per kill sorta thing.
UI still hasn't changed and is dreadful to use. No one uses Local chat and instead just spam in Help.

Things like that I wish they had changed. At this point I just feel it "released" so they could start getting subs to help fund the game. And speaking of subscriptions, there doesn't appear to be any storefront to even set that up yet?

hobocrunch
Mar 11, 2008

I'm walkin' here
I tried it last week and with my ping being 300ms, it was rough in combat. I thought they'd make it a bit more flexible on the clientside things due to it being a single server in Europe but that's not the case. Also my GPU is on the fritz and giving me FPS jumps so I decided to refund it.

I have no opinions on the game and honestly if my ping was low and my GPU wasn't hosed I'm sure I would have actually played it. If and when you want to redo the OP feel free to but I'm tapping out for now.

housemaster!!1
Oct 6, 2015

DUNT 4GEHT 2 FLAAHP UR ARRMAZ

truther posted:

Bit disappointed that EA and Release aren't much different. Everything is still barren and empty - you come across what are little villages with torches on and no one around.
Same with cities. I can't believes cities like Tindrum (spelling) are still almost completely empty, forcing players to spend like 20mins running through an empty city trying to find a vendor.
Their numbers are still wack and make no sense - 6000 boar meat per kill sorta thing.
UI still hasn't changed and is dreadful to use. No one uses Local chat and instead just spam in Help.

Things like that I wish they had changed. At this point I just feel it "released" so they could start getting subs to help fund the game. And speaking of subscriptions, there doesn't appear to be any storefront to even set that up yet?

I started playing yesterday and a few points you bring up seemed strange to me as well. I believe those numbers are gram and not an amount. Its super weird. Also it's funny that you can't crouch. I can't get along with the map either, because I never know where I am. For example, every time I look for the utility dealer or the butcher, I have to walk through the whole city until I recognize the building. The UI is terrible. More than terrible. I like to play on the TV, but can't read any text at all because everything is written in like 10px. Also I think it's a bummer that there's so much you can already do wrong in character creation and that there are no current builds anywhere, but that's the way it is with niche games.

But besides of that I really enjoy the game. I'm looking forward to getting a little better at PvP.

Suzera
Oct 6, 2021

If you set age 30 and height somewhere around 180-220cm (maybe a bit shorter for the short races if you're planning to not melee) it's mostly going to be small differences. Allegedly there's going to be items to change everything except starting race at some point as well?

Also I find it extremely funny that UOish precasting exists and also that the game lets you cast fireballs into your own face.

Suzera
Oct 6, 2021

I've been doing some digging on build stuff and it seems like the one part where building specifically for it might be super important is if you want to do a pure archer build, to make sure you can punch through high end plate. Which you need a lot of strength for, so using Oghmir clade and maximizing strength (123?) might be best for that. Switching between dex, strength and int focus otherwise is largely a matter of eating vegetables or meat to decrease or increase weight.

Age is a matter of a few % difference, but age 30 gives you the most total stat points and flexibility. Otherwise age 60-62 is the intelligence age. If you're maximizing dexterity (which I think is piercing melee builds that focus on headshots? with a few elf bow builds mixed in) then it's age 23, though I don't see this being recommended too strongly.

Each clade has one or two races that has the most attribute points, and the differences for maximums are only worth a few percent one way or the other.

Thanks to the way crafting works, there's also no hard breakpoints on stats for items.

And finally, if you do want to rebuild from scratch, you can read books while offline to get your skills up to 70, and afk chop a tree for like 30 minutes to get most of your stats. Most of your active skills raise quickly though, so there's only a handful of non-crafting skills it seems worthwhile to read a book for, like taming. And half of your crafting skills will be lore skills, which raise super quick.

E: Worth noting that if you are doing something like foot melee fighting on a hybrid stat vs someone that is fully focused on just foot fighting that you're still going to be a significant disadvantage. But a surmountable one. So if you don't know what you might want to focus on, it sounds like you probably want to do (at least initially) a hybrid build with a human full Tindremene and try to always leverage the thing your opponents are worse at.

Suzera fucked around with this message at 16:35 on Jan 26, 2022

Suzera
Oct 6, 2021

Stuff to go in new OP but pasting it here now to help people get started. There's also at least 10 people in atm, and that's not counting like 7 new lurkers in the discord.

Character creation stats guide. Some potentially out of date stuff, like the int chart, but don't have a more up to date one on hand atm.
https://guidescroll.com/2021/03/mortal-online-2-character-creation-attributes-guide/

Updated int chart for that
https://imgur.com/qmxU2nC

Various guides and tools from one of the big guilds.
https://docs.google.com/document/d/16OfGEHlz9tkSwj1CzYEFEAhdVa_NVJ5JKl07L13wTNw/edit

Their character build list (I'm using a modified version of the tri-brid)
https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/18sqC7_-5wEgtKpdttzR5B5CwDBYxUcd4Rta6wCCnkaQ/edit

Character builder
https://mortaldata.com/

My human tri-brid mounted mage/archer/sword build that should have some skill respec flexibility but sacrifices a bit on a couple stat maxes.
https://mortaldata.com?character=506216315384496128

Map of the mainland with resources and stuff https://www.mortalonlinemap.info/location/-111,988036/116,053900/2,5

Suzera fucked around with this message at 19:20 on Jan 26, 2022

SoJ57261
Jul 7, 2015
Another collection of builds: https://mo2.thievesden.net/builds/

Deki
May 12, 2008

It's Hammer Time!
So what is there to actually do compared to say, Darkfall?

I'm assuming the PVE is scarce outside of mob grinding.

Suzera
Oct 6, 2021

Basically Darkfall levels of stuff, except I don't think keep sieges are in (for a little while yet), but also people can build houses anywhere that you can go break. You need to go to places for resources and people can kill you there. There might be some special resources in dungeons or from the dungeon bosses (where you can kill people) to make special weapons and armor? Something I've been occasionally trying to find out because some build guides reference this kind of stuff but I don't know what they're talking about exactly yet.

Suzera fucked around with this message at 20:45 on Jan 26, 2022

GET INTO DA CHOPPA
Nov 22, 2007
D:
It's kinda exciting with a game in tyool2022 that haven't been datamined to death and got optimalisation guides from day 1. I'm really enjoying going in completely blind, and it's refreshing that "leveling up" doesn't feel like a ratrace to endgame.

Deki
May 12, 2008

It's Hammer Time!

Suzera posted:

Basically Darkfall levels of stuff, except I don't think keep sieges are in (for a little while yet), but also people can build houses anywhere that you can go break. You need to go to places for resources and people can kill you there. There might be some special resources in dungeons or from the dungeon bosses (where you can kill people) to make special weapons and armor? Something I've been occasionally trying to find out because some build guides reference this kind of stuff but I don't know what they're talking about exactly yet.

gently caress, I'm actually a little tempted.

I'm just wary it's gonna be like similar games where Most content that isn't just grinding shitgoblins is unavailable if you don't have a clan, and the world is basically dominated by 1-2 groups.

For as bad of a game as DF was, it sure was fun at times. I got relatively rich as gently caress naked raiding an RP town where everyone was used to friendlies owning every city within an hours' walk.

Suzera
Oct 6, 2021

The grind to get "up to par" is definitely far, far, far less or gateable than Darkfall Online and is much closer to early UO, so you won't just be grinding shitgoblins for months. I definitely wouldn't say it's a game you're likely to play forever in its current state, but I think if you like this kind of go mess with people in a dungeon or whatever thing you'll get plenty of opportunity to do so for at least a few months.

Here's a video of someone messing around in a graveyard with a tri-brid mounted style build doing basically that. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P5M6QOTIZp4&t=23s

This video from one of the earlier tests is also amusing. It's the "bear terminators" I mentioned earlier. It has some bigger engagements pictured. Also this bear would have armor now. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PAsRo4tepAc

I'm trying to get something for one of the highwayman toll shenanigans some of us have been doing but that'll be a bit longer.

Suzera fucked around with this message at 21:44 on Jan 26, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zotix
Aug 14, 2011

GET INTO DA CHOPPA posted:

It's kinda exciting with a game in tyool2022 that haven't been datamined to death and got optimalisation guides from day 1. I'm really enjoying going in completely blind, and it's refreshing that "leveling up" doesn't feel like a ratrace to endgame.

It has, it's just published publicly.