Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

MO2 launched with around 7700 players at its max. After the first month, people have to start paying a subscription, the developers were saying that they need 8100 subscribers at a minimum in order to keep the game going. So consider that if you are planning on buying the game, its already dead on arrival by the looks of it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Communist Q
Jul 13, 2009

For reference, I went hard yesterday and played for around 12 hours. In that time I was able to grind 8 clade levels in haven and macro'd up most of my major skills for my mage to 90+/100 after following this guide. I'd say I'm roughly 80% the way done with my character's build. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WvjKXfniw48

And yeah, it may or may not be around for too long so who knows. It should be pretty fun while it's still going. If you played New World, you've paid for worse.

Communist Q fucked around with this message at 23:48 on Jan 26, 2022

PyRosflam
Aug 11, 2007
The good, The bad, Im the one with the gun.

I said come in! posted:

MO2 launched with around 7700 players at its max. After the first month, people have to start paying a subscription, the developers were saying that they need 8100 subscribers at a minimum in order to keep the game going. So consider that if you are planning on buying the game, its already dead on arrival by the looks of it.

It could follow EvEs model, build a fan base slowly over time instead of a blockbuster launch like WoW.

What am I thinking, full loot MMO is almost no ones cup of tea. They also have no concept of seasons, or anything so those who start now will become wolves, and the wolves will hunt the sheep to death in no time at all.

Suzera
Oct 6, 2021

This spell rocks. It'll pop you right out of that funk.

PyRosflam posted:

They also have no concept of seasons, or anything so those who start now will become wolves, and the wolves will hunt the sheep to death in no time at all.
At least at the moment there's no kind of power to build up that would really benefit from seasons. This isn't Darkfall or Last Oasis or Atlas in that regard. It would just inconvenience everyone for a week at most before they're back where they were. Aside from if you immediately leave the newbie island where you can't be attacked while getting your initial skills and stats to compete, which you're looking at a day or few tops, you also won't be dying without a chance just because you're level 1 and your opponent is level 60. The hardest part is getting a weapon tailored to you in your hands if you're not with a group that can help because of the amount of crafting skills and non-wipeable system knowledge in players' heads required, but even that's not insurmountable.

Zotix posted:

It has, it's just published publicly.
From what I can tell, anyone that tells you they know exactly how all alchemy works is probably lying right now.

I said come in! posted:

Nothing lasts forever. Also total player numbers are many times the peak and it seems like they have a few thousand die hards. I'm pretty sure it's not going to close at the end of the month at least.

Suzera fucked around with this message at 04:38 on Jan 27, 2022

Suzera
Oct 6, 2021

Extraction information. https://mortal2.rocks/guides/crafting/ore-extraction-calculator-mortal-online-2/

Jimlit
Jun 30, 2005

Honestly it is dead. They over extended themselves again with world sizing. They did the same thing with MO1 and the desert expansion. A massive world full of nothing and players congealing around a few towns.

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
in MO1 back in the day the real poo poo was Gaul'Kor

go there to gank people and kill miners

If I found macro miners I'd actually just push them away from the wall so they spent all night mining the air

Fuck Man
Jul 5, 2004

i've had a little luck getting into the server, i caught it coming up this morning and got to play a bit. finally was able to get a horse now that they've increased the spawns. had to log earlier this afternoon and i've been stuck in a queue/crash loop.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Suzera
Oct 6, 2021

Jimlit posted:

Honestly it is dead. They over extended themselves again with world sizing. They did the same thing with MO1 and the desert expansion. A massive world full of nothing and players congealing around a few towns.
I dunno. A minority of the now 8k player peak from just steam charts can even get to the main continent right now due to queue issues and there's some of kind of messing or getting messed with every hourish in discord even without people specifically looking for it. And if anyone does want to look, there's people all over.

gently caress Man posted:

had to log earlier this afternoon and i've been stuck in a queue/crash loop.
Supposedly they found a second issue with the login queue stuff and weren't able to get both fixes today. They're looking at tomorrow for the patch.

Suzera fucked around with this message at 00:57 on Jan 28, 2022

truther
Oct 22, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT THE BEARS
If it helps anyone, here's how I get into the game without issue (outside of a 20min queue):

I verify Steam files.
I then load MO2 in DX11 which tells me EAC isn't installed.
I install that.
Reload in DX11 and eventually get in to the game.
I wait a minute before clicking Enter Nave, as per someone's suggestion in Discord.

It's worked every time over the past two days. When I don't do this, I get the Unreal Engine crash everyone is complaining about.
If EAC doesn't need reinstalling, maybe try manually removing it then doing this process.

FireWhizzle
Apr 2, 2009

a neckbeard elemental
Grimey Drawer

Suzera posted:

I dunno. A minority of the now 8k player peak from just steam charts can even get to the main continent right now due to queue issues and there's some of kind of messing or getting messed with every hourish in discord even without people specifically looking for it. And if anyone does want to look, there's people all over.

Supposedly they found a second issue with the login queue stuff and weren't able to get both fixes today. They're looking at tomorrow for the patch.

this owns im down

Jimlit
Jun 30, 2005

Suzera posted:

This is kind of hosed cause they had the literal exact same issues months ago during stress test. so i guess what you can take away from it is that the current amount of players is far over the threshold of what the devs are capable of dealing with.

like they obviously can't have more than 1000 concurrent players without everything making GBS threads the bed. why not open more servers in different locations and give people what they want anyway?

Suzera
Oct 6, 2021

Jimlit posted:

This is kind of hosed cause they had the literal exact same issues months ago during stress test. so i guess what you can take away from it is that the current amount of players is far over the threshold of what the devs are capable of dealing with.

like they obviously can't have more than 1000 concurrent players without everything making GBS threads the bed. why not open more servers in different locations and give people what they want anyway?
They fixed the queue crash bug. And a surprise surge of 8x or more (I don't have any way to gauge the non-steam numbers right now) the players they anticipated from the prior tests for a small indie company is not the devs being incapable. I heard that they might open a second instance of the mainland for a bit if deploying more resources doesn't work, which it sounds like they might be working on with more focus now that the queue crash bug is fixed. It also sounds like an idle timeout might be coming.

I really doubt it's under 1k concurrent players on the mainland or not anywhere near as many people would get in as are getting in. Even if it takes a while. It's at least very, very, not obvious that the cap for mainland is that small of a fraction.

It's the start of day 4 of a new mmo release with a player boom. They can only work so fast and have already put out 3 patches with not only the login stuff but gameplay fixes too.

Suzera fucked around with this message at 10:27 on Jan 29, 2022

Suzera
Oct 6, 2021

Also hobocrunch if you're still reading this, could you edit the discord link into the OP for me for the moment? I'll make a new op later, but was going to wait for the capacity issues to be fixed to post it.

hobocrunch
Mar 11, 2008

I'm walkin' here

Suzera posted:

Also hobocrunch if you're still reading this, could you edit the discord link into the OP for me for the moment? I'll make a new op later, but was going to wait for the capacity issues to be fixed to post it.

Sure just post what you want changed and Ill get to it every few days until whenever you wanna start a new OP.

Edit* okay I think I got it- You mean this: https://discord.gg/mortalonline ?

hobocrunch fucked around with this message at 12:54 on Jan 29, 2022

Suzera
Oct 6, 2021

hobocrunch posted:

Sure just post what you want changed and Ill get to it every few days until whenever you wanna start a new OP.

Edit* okay I think I got it- You mean this: https://discord.gg/mortalonline ?
No, the one we're using for guild stuff. Since the op says there isn't one yet.
Sandcastle Kickers
https://discord.gg/dfeCVEdzhw

Hopefully it won't be more than a few days before they've sorted the queue issues though.

SweetBro
May 12, 2014

Did you read that sister?
Yes, truly a shitposter's post. I read it, Rem.

Suzera posted:

And a surprise surge of 8x or more (I don't have any way to gauge the non-steam numbers right now) the players they anticipated from the prior tests for a small indie company is not the devs being incapable.
The devs ARE absolutely incompetent. This isn't their first rodeo and they dealt with similar poo poo on MO1's launch. All this means is that they learned literally nothing in this last decade or so. Which as far as I'm concerned is the quintessence of incompetence.

All of the issues that the devs are facing are solved problems now that any team is capable of handling. SV even demonstrated that they are too, to some degree with how functional Haven is.

Deki
May 12, 2008

It's Hammer Time!

SweetBro posted:

The devs ARE absolutely incompetent. This isn't their first rodeo and they dealt with similar poo poo on MO1's launch. All this means is that they learned literally nothing in this last decade or so. Which as far as I'm concerned is the quintessence of incompetence.

All of the issues that the devs are facing are solved problems now that any team is capable of handling. SV even demonstrated that they are too, to some degree with how functional Haven is.

Eh, every MMO has issues on launch. FFXIV had horrid issues with getting in on launch and this most recent expansion release. I think Archeage is the only MMO I got into on launch that didn't have horrible queuing/lag on release, and that was because they saved their issues for every other aspect of the game.

Which isn't to say that Starvault isn't incompetent.

Suzera
Oct 6, 2021

SweetBro posted:

I mean, there's definitely some bad stuff that makes me scratch my head. Like the default directional attack setting being a delay after you click and then select a direction with mouse flick. Which you can change in settings to be more responsive without the delay and more like other games. But a 5+x jump over the free no cost click a button on steam and get in stress test was somewhat of a surprise to me too at least. Server sharding multiple mainlands would have its own issues with population density or player build world structures later on as well, so I can go along with that decision as legit especially if they can get it to work soonish.

Also, new announcement that they're doing something with regard to the mainland issues but it'll take a few days. Whatever exactly they're doing. There weren't any details other than they may have gotten some outside consultants.

Also also, player peak is now over 9k using steamcharts numbers only so the queue and server issues definitely aren't stopping the login onslaught yet.

Suzera fucked around with this message at 19:43 on Jan 29, 2022

SweetBro
May 12, 2014

Deki posted:

Eh, every MMO has issues on launch. FFXIV had horrid issues with getting in on launch and this most recent expansion release. I think Archeage is the only MMO I got into on launch that didn't have horrible queuing/lag on release, and that was because they saved their issues for every other aspect of the game.

FFXIV launched 12 years ago. Plenty of modern MMOs while may have some bugs on launch, but load balancing issues have been a solved problem for a while now. EG, see scuffed B-Tier Malasyian MMO Chimeralands. The only recent launch where that wasn't the case was New World, but AGS is also wildly incompetent as demonstrated by all their cancelled games.

Deki posted:

But a 5+x jump over the free no cost click a button on steam and get in stress test was somewhat of a surprise to me too at least.

Why? Do you honestly believe in 2022, where there already so many good finished free games out there, people would bother to download a 50gig game to participate in a lag fest that's just going to get wiped after a couple of days anyways on a game whose core selling point is persistence?

truther
Oct 22, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT THE BEARS
Putting on my tinfoil hat...

Apparently MO2 was advertised as being able to handle 100k people on one consistent server.
We know that's not the case due the queues at the moment.
But what's interesting is how Haven isn't affected. They're literally telling people not to leave Haven.
Now, the original official advice being to stay in Haven far beyond the tutorial, til you get some clade gifts for example.
So, I think they had the server capacity for all players to be in Haven and not the mainland.
Why wouldn't they have the server space before launch? The monthly subs, probably.

Other than that, it seems apparent that they didn't have things properly set up for launch due to expecting people to stay in Haven longer.
Seems like quite the stuff-up and a huge lack of proper management. Also explains why Day 1 launched without any problems because most people were starting in Haven. Day 2+ is where the issues started. The most recent announcement on their Discord is that they might allow players to re-enter Haven to circumvent the server issues. Yikes.

Jimlit
Jun 30, 2005

Deki posted:

They did a stress test months ago with less people and ran into the same issues. The problem is that they are so tied into this one server philosophy that they absolutely gently caress themselves. They know their game cant take more than 1000ish concurrent players, and that the majority of players have terrible lag due to the server location. They just cant for some reason get over the one server thing.

truther posted:

But what's interesting is how Haven isn't affected. They're literally telling people not to leave Haven.

Haven is actually hosted on a bunch of different instances that alleviate this issue.

Suzera
Oct 6, 2021

SweetBro posted:

Why? Do you honestly believe in 2022, where there already so many good finished free games out there, people would bother to download a 50gig game to participate in a lag fest that's just going to get wiped after a couple of days anyways on a game whose core selling point is persistence?
It's a niche genre that largely seems to have a few million die hard fans that play all of them and arguably only one other game really running right now. I was just expecting a larger chunk of any of those millions that were interested to mostly have clicked it. I'll grant I was one of the non-clickers, but largely because the player counts had been fairly low for the tests and I wasn't sure there'd be enough people at release to last for a month to make it worth my while to learn.

truther posted:

Now, the original official advice being to stay in Haven far beyond the tutorial, til you get some clade gifts for example.
So, I think they had the server capacity for all players to be in Haven and not the mainland.
Why wouldn't they have the server space before launch? The monthly subs, probably.

Other than that, it seems apparent that they didn't have things properly set up for launch due to expecting people to stay in Haven longer.
Haven is sharded into some hundreds to low thousands of shards. It's not an issue of space for number of players per se as it is bandwidth requirements for certain kinds of information scale with the square of players and processing power is somewhere on that order but weaker. 2 players 1 link. 10 players 90 links. 100 players 9900 links.

The mainland has a server node mesh to split this apart, but according to Henrik, people are cramming into a few areas at the moment differently than the devs expected, so some of those nodes need to do work magnitudes different than if everyone were more spread out. Like if everyone on Haven was crammed into a dozen shards, which wouldn't work so well since density a few times less than that also caused people to crash in the first day.

In a stream I think I recall Henrik saying they did expect people to stay in Haven longer, but ultimately I don't think that factor alone would really have stopped this.

Suzera fucked around with this message at 20:47 on Jan 29, 2022

SweetBro
May 12, 2014

Jimlit posted:

They just cant for some reason get over the one server thing.
Incompetence + Hubris is a terrible thing.

SweetBro
May 12, 2014

Suzera posted:

It's a niche genre that largely seems to have a few million die hard fans that play all of them and arguably only one other game really running right now. I was just expecting a larger chunk of any of those millions that were interested to mostly have clicked it. I'll grant I was one of the non-clickers, but only because the player counts had been fairly low for the tests and I wasn't sure there'd be enough people at release to last for a month to make it worth my while to learn.

You mean the same diehard fans who already played the game in alpha/beta for over a year?

Suzera
Oct 6, 2021

SweetBro posted:

You mean the same diehard fans who already played the game in alpha/beta for over a year?
Yeah. That was generating like 1-2k peaks like I implied. Not going on 10k even while maybe only 1/2 to 2/3 that can actually play the game.

Suzera fucked around with this message at 20:32 on Jan 29, 2022

Suzera
Oct 6, 2021

The total unique players were also not that high. 40k total according to

https://massivelyop.com/2021/09/02/mortal-online-2-says-that-40000-players-have-beta-tested-so-far/

Suzera fucked around with this message at 20:53 on Jan 29, 2022

SweetBro
May 12, 2014

Suzera, I have a question for you. If 40k players paid premium to pre-purchase the game (since that's how you got into the beta), how many of those players do you expect to be trying to play at launch?

Suzera
Oct 6, 2021

SweetBro posted:

Suzera, I have a question for you. If 40k players paid premium to pre-purchase the game (since that's how you got into the beta), how many of those players do you expect to be trying to play at launch?
There were some free beta rounds, so not everyone of those 40k is paid.

Even if we assumed that all of them were paid beforehand and literally all played at some point in the first day, maybe 2-3 thousand peak concurrent because it's distributed over the day and launched on a weekday. I would also not expect everyone to play the first day because people have jobs and other stuff though. Maybe half, though this is kind of a thin air guess. But the half that would would make up more of the all-dayers for the launch month. There's going to be a lot of people intending to play for an hour or less. And the people that were around for all the week long tests are also going to be more the people trying to take up server time all day than others who bought on release day.

The corollary to this: They've probably sold a few hundred thousand copies of MO2 by now I would guess.

Suzera fucked around with this message at 21:12 on Jan 29, 2022

SweetBro
May 12, 2014

Suzera posted:

There were several free beta rounds, so not everyone of those 40k is paid.

Even if we assumed that all of them were paid beforehand and literally all played at some point in the first day, maybe 2-3 thousand peak concurrent because it's distributed over the day and launched on a weekday. I would also not expect everyone to play the first day because people have jobs and other stuff though. Maybe half, though this is kind of a thin air guess. But the half that would would make up more of the all-dayers for the launch month. There's going to be a lot of people playing for an hour or less.

No, according to Steam charts there were 42k owners before launch. This excludes free beta testers since ownership would be removed the next day.

Saying out of 40k people who intend to play within a timespan of 24 hours that only 5%-10% would play concurrently is fairly misinformed. Historically the number has always been 33% due to how timezones as spread apart. Even NW, had like 2.9 mil pre-orders and about 1 mil concurrent players on launch. While these numbers isn't something I expect the average consumer to know. It's a basic amount of research that should be expected of any game studio even if they aren't launching a multiplayer game, but especially if they're launching a multiplayer game.

Suzera
Oct 6, 2021

SweetBro posted:

No, according to Steam charts there were 42k owners before launch. This excludes free beta testers since ownership would be removed the next day.

Saying out of 40k people who intend to play within a timespan of 24 hours that only 5%-10% would play concurrently is fairly misinformed. Historically the number has always been 33% due to how timezones as spread apart. Even NW, had like 2.9 mil pre-orders and about 1 mil concurrent players on launch. While these numbers isn't something I expect the average consumer to know. It's a basic amount of research that should be expected of any game studio even if they aren't launching a multiplayer game, but especially if they're launching a multiplayer game.
That 40k testers article was from September 2021, which is before the ~10k steam copies on that chart begins. 30k of purchases being in the month and a half before launch does change my mind at least somewhat though since that's a great signal for intent. Also not sure if you get mandatory steam keys from their website, but if not then the number you'd expect would be higher. ~1/3 of preorders being launch day peak still seems kind of high to me intuitively and like things that shouldn't be linked quite so reliably, but I'll take your word for it for now.

With any luck maybe they can sort this out sooner rather than later and won't have completely hoisted their own petard I guess.

E: Their website is steam mandatory.

Suzera fucked around with this message at 21:40 on Jan 29, 2022

hobocrunch
Mar 11, 2008

I'm walkin' here

Suzera posted:

No, the one we're using for guild stuff. Since the op says there isn't one yet.
Sandcastle Kickers
https://discord.gg/dfeCVEdzhw

Hopefully it won't be more than a few days before they've sorted the queue issues though.

Oh right, I got ya.

Suzera
Oct 6, 2021

hobocrunch posted:

Oh right, I got ya.
Thanks!

Fuck Man
Jul 5, 2004

"We have over 100k players today with about 88k active players logging in since release which been a long-term goal for us to get, which of course puts a lot of constant stress when many want to play directly."

the problem with the login queue, is that there isn't a login queue. it's this:

Only registered members can see post attachments!

sheepdemon
Feb 15, 2004

. . . before turning the gun on himself
Does anyone have a good hunter guide. Like archer/pet/whatever.

Suzera
Oct 6, 2021

This guy has some nice guides. This is the taming one. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pAnqt_SbKgM

Most of your active skills will probably be taming ones plus the standard suite of sprinting and combat maneuver. There's a lot of taming skills, and you'll need some of the zoology ones. Mammals at minimum. Often you'll double as mage since int and psy give you a few pet points and bonuses to taming skills, plus you need ecumenical magic to dominate.

SoJ57261
Jul 7, 2015

SweetBro posted:

Usually CCU is ~10% of DAU, probably a bit more for a niche MMO which encourages longer sessions. Around 110k people bought the game as of Friday IIRC and I expect a good chunk to quit still the game will have stable income to keep going at that rate.

The only question is if they can get the current issues under control, they need higher granularity of nodes close to hotspots like tindrem & meduli. Not currently playing myself but I find the game to be the only MMO that I am interested of at all these days.

Suzera
Oct 6, 2021

I was walking around on a big cliff.

Basically a non-space with nothing interesting adjacent to the road. Deliberately going out of my way to avoid people since I was moving some stuff between cities. Just some flowers and rocks up here. I travel a bit farther and to my surprise:

Someone is up here mining rocks. There's no way up the cliff just past this. You have to come up the long way from the back to the top of the mountain. I was already full of stuff about as valuable as anything he was getting and didn't want to jump after him so I didn't push him off or provoke a fight, but we had a nice short conversation about our mutual surprise and then I started sliding down the hill.

Also the terrain render distance is pretty huge. That mountain far away in the center of the second screenshot would take about 15-20 minutes to get to by horse and is about 2/5 the distance across the map.

Suzera fucked around with this message at 15:04 on Feb 2, 2022

Fuck Man
Jul 5, 2004

love those kinds of incredibly remote interactions and the thought you have to put in, "is this guy going to start poo poo? am i going to have to start poo poo?"

i plan on building a house in the mountains and i want people to have the same what the gently caress reaction when they come across a house tucked ways away

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Communist Q
Jul 13, 2009

Can we get a thread title change to Mortal In Line 2?