Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

sheepdemon
Feb 15, 2004

. . . before turning the gun on himself
Did the goon guild in this fall apart yet? I think I have the time to play now and I think they mostly unfucked the servers now yeh?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Communist Q
Jul 13, 2009

sheepdemon posted:

Did the goon guild in this fall apart yet? I think I have the time to play now and I think they mostly unfucked the servers now yeh?

We joined up with KOTO, one of the big zergs, who are all around pretty decent folks.

Mux
Aug 4, 2010

sheepdemon posted:

We are extracting every ounce of content possible out of this broken and beautiful game.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=joiwnuQZipg

housemaster!!1
Oct 6, 2015

DUNT 4GEHT 2 FLAAHP UR ARRMAZ

Mux posted:

We are extracting every ounce of content possible out of this broken and beautiful game.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=joiwnuQZipg

This was hilarious, finally some good content. I would really like to play this game more, but I just don't have the time. I don't feel like running around for hours after work to find a new horse. Too bad there are no teleportation runes. Maybe I should just get unemployed.

Fuck Man
Jul 5, 2004

Here's the road map from yesterday's stream. Seems like they're back to shooting for content releases every two weeks.

From the Discord: https://discord.com/channels/345493247931711488/937822153032749116/959319180174327858

Roadmap

We wanted to give you what our plan is for the next 4 patches and what lies beyond that. We do not have exact dates, but if all goes as planned we will have a mid and end month patch in April, with the same in May. We also want to show off what will come early after those.

Mid April

Housing Functions- This will include house permissions and passwords so friends and guildmates can use your house easily!

Clade Respec - You will be able to respec your clade gifts with a gold cost.

Guard/Vendor Commands - This will allow you to use the bank from a farther distance with a command and allow you to call guards for aid. However if you wrongfully call guards too often they may hurt you!

Placeable Campfires - This will allow players to place campfires around the world or in dungeons for light and a bonus to resting. You will also be able to cook at these locations. (May include portable extractors/crushers, trying to confirm).

Extra: Clade XP from Healing - This should be included in this patch. We had a version of this working in our recent test build however we were not happy with the design, since then we rebuilt it and its close to being ready.

End of April

Bounty and Flagging System - This is neat system that introduces a bunch of new mechanics. Here are a few examples;

1. Bounties and Bounty Hunters : If a player chooses to a murderer there is a chance that a bounty can be placed on their heads. The bounty hunter will be given a kill-right deed (allowing them to be killed in cities and not lose rep or receive a MC) and a known last location. The bounty hunting system will also have a vendor for tools that can help hunting. One arsenal for finding your bounties is a tracking bird. In the future there will be a bounty board where players can place bounties and/or place extra rewards for said bounties. The evil side of Bounty Hunting, Assassination, will be coming at a future date.

2. Forced Wardecs: Forced War Declarations are coming so you can force wars with other guilds. It will have a gold cost upkeep to fuel the war. You will not be allowed to fight in guarded cities.

(I am trying to confirm if lawless zones are included in this update and how they will work. There is going to be large areas around Kranesh and GK that will be lawless. Trying to find out about others).

Legendary Weapons - Grandmaster Weaponsmiths (100 in the skill) will now be able to find special components to craft with their weapons for unique looks and rarity.

Decoration Package - This will include more furniture to decorate your house with. This will also have furniture with some extra functions. An example is having a bed will allow you have a bonus if you log out in your house.

Big Fixes and Optimizations - This will have a large package of fixes for the game.

Mid May

Alchemy Effects - We will be adding a group of magical effects to the alchemy system. This will allow things to help with stat changes, weight loss/gain and other functions. ( I will try to find out if this includes naming potions).

Trinkets - Trinkets consist of amulets and rings that you can find in the world. These items will be valuable and allow you to add extra stat or skill increases to your characters' builds. When equipped, these items will be a part of you and become soul bound. However, any trinket in your inventory can be looted. These trinkets will come in 5 different tiers. The higher the tier, the higher the value and stat changes will be. Each trinket has three charges. When you die with an equipped trinket, it will lose one of these charges. Without charges the trinkets do not function and need to be recharged. Recharging will be able to be done for a cost, the higher the tier of the item, the higher the cost. You may have to choose what to take with you wisely.

Buy Orders - You will be able to place orders for materials and other items through the trade broker while online or offline.

Big Fixes and Optimizations - This will have a large package of fixes for the game.

End of May

Massive Bosses - This will be pushing the limits of our Tier 2 AI. We will start to add massive bosses in the world using new AI systems. It may not be included with this update, but Henrik wants to add the "impossible" dungeon where you'll have to take a limited number players against impossible odds.

Legendary Armors - Grandmaster Armorsmiths (100 in the skill) will now be able to find special components to craft with their armor for unique looks and rarity.

Necromancy - This is the new magic school which will have some new mechanics. Here are some examples:

1. New Spells: Spells will be able to be casted while moving. There be a variation of different spells which includes attack spells and even spells to help against pets. Another spell will allow you to make your undead minions explode.

2. Rituals and Undead Creations: Necromancers will be able to preform certain rituals. One includes rituals to create undead pets or revive undead versions of old pets. Using reagents, materials and carcasses you'll be able to create undead minions. In the future this will likely be expanded upon for unique undead pets with rare materials. These pets' stats may be able to be modified depending on the materials you use for the ritual.

3. Battle of the Necromancers: There will be mechanics that support higher skilled necromancers to be able to take over the minions of other necromancers.

Necromancy Dungeon - A Necromancer themed dungeon will be added at the same time as Necromancy.

Beyond

TC Construction - This will include the first wave of Territory Control structures and functions. We understand that this is the most requested feature for the game right now and made sure to move it as close to being released as possible. For our developers' workload pipeline, we require certain functions and features from some of our earlier road map releases as foundations for the TC upgrades. We want to make sure this is a great feature!

Siege - This will be the Sieging update. We want to make sure this functions as intended when we release. Since it will cost a lot of materials/gold to have siege weapons and from the losses they may cause, it is important for polish. We will likely have a public test server ready when we are ready to test this feature. In beta we were able to push out content and feature quickly and polish on the go, that is not the path we want to take forward on a live release.

Thievery - This will be a thievery mechanic update to add more way to commit crimes and gain loot.

Beast Mastery - This update will include more rounded abilities for pets. We also want to add more skill based gameplay to pet PvE and PvP. We intend to also fix some of the problems surrounding pets before this update drops.

New Bosses - We have new bosses planned for Myrland.

More Fauna - We have new wildlife planned for Myrland.

New Dungeons - We are developing more dungeons passed the Necromancy dungeon for Myrland.

Points of Interest - POIs will be added that expands on lore of the world and include notes and recent happenings by players.

Other

Public Test Server - We are close to releasing one for public testing. He hope to have it ready to test sieging.

Subscription - We do not have a timeline for turning on subscriptions. We will give players a month or more notice before it starts. (This will start your free month).

Magic effects, animations and feedback - We have the intention to update some of the visuals and feedback of the current magic system, however we are focused on Necromancy first. We understand that some of the current spells don't have the feedback you would hope for and wish to improve this. Necromancy should be a pillar for these changes. These can include simple animation changes to QoL add-ons such as seeing debuffs of your spells on opponents.

Bug Updates or Issues

Western Steppe and Spider Valley Keeps - Sebastian is applying various fixes every server side patch. Please update Robmo or Farmerjoe (Sebastian) after each server patch on that status on your keeps. We appreciate your patience.

Ghost Avatar Bug - If you ever encountered a situation where you take damage from nothing and simply die, it is likely because of this bug. It is where your character on server is in a different location than your client and your server side character is being attacked. We have identified this issue and working on a solution.

House Pathing - We have discovered the cause for pathing around houses being not as intended and are working on a solution

Large Light Weapons - We made an adjustment of a weight bug with light weapons last week. This change made some of the light large weapons swing a little faster than intended, we are correcting this specific change.

Literally Kermit
Mar 4, 2012
t
Just what I need, undead floppy elf dick, on demand

100 degrees Calcium
Jan 23, 2011

I heard the game doesn't allow alts on an account. Does that mean when necromancy comes out, you're just SOL for a necromancy build?

Fuck Man
Jul 5, 2004

100 degrees Calcium posted:

I heard the game doesn't allow alts on an account. Does that mean when necromancy comes out, you're just SOL for a necromancy build?

It doesn't, so you'll either need to drop something to respec an existing character, reroll, or buy an alt account.

Suzera
Oct 6, 2021

This spell rocks. It'll pop you right out of that funk.
Think I've kind of burnt out until siege stuff is in.

LuckyCat
Jul 26, 2007

Grimey Drawer
In true form, I am buying and downloading this game and going in blind with what will probably be immense regret. Now to read the thread and see how I wasted $40.

Edit: I am enjoy

LuckyCat fucked around with this message at 02:14 on May 3, 2022

Fuck Man
Jul 5, 2004

I've got like 750 hours in this dumb game and I still love it

LuckyCat
Jul 26, 2007

Grimey Drawer
By the time I leave Haven I’ll have 6 clade gifts, most of my combat skills maxed, and cooking maxed. After that, I have no clue. Probably find a guild and do whatever they’re doing.

100 degrees Calcium
Jan 23, 2011

Wait a minute, people are actually enjoying this? I had heard it was a disaster but now that I think about it, MMORPG players make everything sound like a disaster.

Maybe I should give it a try...

LuckyCat
Jul 26, 2007

Grimey Drawer

100 degrees Calcium posted:

Wait a minute, people are actually enjoying this? I had heard it was a disaster but now that I think about it, MMORPG players make everything sound like a disaster.

Maybe I should give it a try...

It’s enjoyable enough but if you want to play with other people don’t bother; game is dead.

GaylordButts
Feb 19, 2009
Game is extremely unfinished, and never will be as they seem to have 1 single programmer. CEO/Lead Designer is not a programmer but is apparently a graduate of the Molyneux School of Game Design, so he just keeps heaping new ideas onto the pile that they'll never get implemented. It's extremely light on PvE content, and what they have is pretty boring and buggy. The PvP side isn't much better, so the only thing to really do in the game is run around looking for a group smaller than yours to kill. There are some castles placed around the map for guilds to fight over, but the Siege Mechanics aren't in the game yet so they were actually just available to whatever guild showed up first and can afford to pay the upkeep. But it's not like you'd wanna take one over anyway, since Territory Control isn't in the game yet either so the castles serve no purpose.

They were talking about starting to charge their planned monthly subscription fee in the next month, but blowback was pretty severe and it seems like they've walked that back a bit. Removing the "Early Access" banner was incredibly dishonest.

If you do buy the game now, don't leave Haven (the tutorial island, which once you have left you can never return to) until you're basically done playing the game. Definitely don't leave before level 6 or so, since EXP is pretty easy to get in Haven and nigh impossible outside it, but also Haven was put together by hand and looks pretty nice, while the main game world is largely procedurally generated and largely empty. But also, like, don't buy this game now.

Zotix
Aug 14, 2011

LuckyCat posted:

It’s enjoyable enough but if you want to play with other people don’t bother; game is dead.

So Mortal Online 1?

Suzera
Oct 6, 2021

This spell rocks. It'll pop you right out of that funk.
People still exist and you can still find something to do especially if you get into a big guild, but it's definitely waning. The good and packed times are over. Putting money in now is not something I'd recommend unless you just buy all these kinds of games and want to try it or are gambling that the game will bump back up for some amount of time when they finally implement siege stuff properly.

Staying on Haven is a bad idea though since you can definitely get the same or more clade xp off of it when you know what you're doing and get stuff for any shenanigans you might get up to. Unless you just never want to pvp in which case just don't get the game at all.

Suzera fucked around with this message at 03:01 on May 11, 2022

SweetBro
May 12, 2014

Did you read that sister?
Yes, truly a shitposter's post. I read it, Rem.
Spending some time playing V Rising made me realize how much more staying power this game would actually have if the devs actually put an ounce of brainpower into designing PvE content that encourages emergent PvP rather than just making a largely empty sandbox and expecting people to make fun for themselves. That might have worked for games like Ultima, back when there weren't actually a lot of games around, but now there are countless of games competing for out attention that any game that really relies on "make your own fun" doesn't work.

The game MO2's best content (aside from exploration) comes from players murdering each other over PvE objectives, whether its Sewer Boss spawns or runs to JG camp. But that's basically it. What PvE objectives are worth contesting are far too spread out, on a map that's too big, and even they did have enough people populating it, their servers would just poo poo the bed. Combined with its kind of unga bunga Rep system, smacking nerds feels actively discouraged even if you do run into them and the PvE in this game only really has value to gear up for PvP.

When I played the game on release, I initially had fun because of the exploration novelty and that I was playing with goons, and goons can make just about anything fun. However after Elden Ring sucked me away, even though I planned to come back, I kind of never did because there were just more interesting games for me to get too.

herr
Jan 19, 2009
Sooooo, anyone still playing? My buddy and I got this on the sale and have been playing this week. We are in Meduli. Wanted to see if there was a goon guild, before joining up with random pubbies.

So far it seems pretty cool. Scratching the UO/Darkfall/PvP-murderhobo itch for me.

Soren_
Apr 3, 2012

herr posted:

Sooooo, anyone still playing? My buddy and I got this on the sale and have been playing this week. We are in Meduli. Wanted to see if there was a goon guild, before joining up with random pubbies.

So far it seems pretty cool. Scratching the UO/Darkfall/PvP-murderhobo itch for me.

There's not that many goons playing, they all got burnt out. There is a stable 1k players at all times though, that's pretty cool.

FireWhizzle
Apr 2, 2009

a neckbeard elemental
Grimey Drawer

herr posted:

Yeah my buds and I play this every day - game owns. There's been like 300+ person wars this week! No goon guild, you should shop around for guilds that might fit your playstyle imo.

e: Here's some footage of ACT vs Meduli Coalition over the past few days:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s0MOJyVtWNw

FireWhizzle fucked around with this message at 06:36 on Jan 8, 2023

SoJ57261
Jul 7, 2015

FireWhizzle posted:

Yeah my buds and I play this every day - game owns. There's been like 300+ person wars this week! No goon guild, you should shop around for guilds that might fit your playstyle imo.

e: Here's some footage of ACT vs Meduli Coalition over the past few days:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s0MOJyVtWNw

drat that looks pretty cool ngl.

Modguy
Nov 9, 2012

SoJ57261 posted:

drat that looks pretty cool ngl.

It really is a hell of a game. The devs do seem earnest about fixing bugs and improving the game, but they have bitten off a LOT. Anyone unsure if they want to hop in, wait until the Epic/Unreal Engine 5 release. But if you do hop in then, you kinda hosed up. This is a game that favors persistence, patience, and having enough resources to immediately gear back up after a death to ride back out to battle.

ShowTime
Mar 28, 2005
Wow I had no idea there was a thread for this stupid game. All of you are dumb for playing it.

Anyway I redownloaded it and want to spend a few days just killing people. I think I have an archer/tamer, but I still need to level a few skills.

If you guys are in KOTO I might join, but i'm not a fan of KOTO and would rather join one of the smaller PvP guilds that focus on griefing.

SoJ57261
Jul 7, 2015

ShowTime posted:

Wow I had no idea there was a thread for this stupid game. All of you are dumb for playing it.

Anyway I redownloaded it and want to spend a few days just killing people. I think I have an archer/tamer, but I still need to level a few skills.

If you guys are in KOTO I might join, but i'm not a fan of KOTO and would rather join one of the smaller PvP guilds that focus on griefing.

Screw KOTO. Maybe they will have some function when TC finally comes out but right now they are just a zergy nuisance pretending to be good guys.

ShowTime
Mar 28, 2005
Has anyone tried Reign of Guilds? It's in beta right now and initially we couldn't play because we were locked in the starting tavern and whenever we tried to leave, the game would kick us to lobby. But apparently that's been fixed and i'm aiming to try it out tonight. It looks like a better MO2, but I haven't tested it myself to say for sure.

If you wanna try it, it's on Steam. Just gotta download to play.

SweetBro
May 12, 2014

Gloria Victis just launched 1.0 today. Maybe not bad? Someone go investigate for me.

FreeWifi!!
Oct 11, 2013

Okay, that's true. Good point, Marquess. Point for you. But you get a point taken away for being a dick. So, back to zero.

SweetBro posted:

Gloria Victis just launched 1.0 today. Maybe not bad? Someone go investigate for me.

Been playing it since before 1.0 launched.

After 1.0 launched:
-More players
-WAAAAY more players
-Server crashing like clockwork every 30 mins
-Terrible lag
-Same gameplay, new crafting. new crafting is tedious and more time consuming.
-Influx of new players have forced the devel's to suspend all crafting on the new server during primetime. (L O L)
-Problems with steam auth. Alot.
-Scripted encounters (kill 10 bandits then kill the general) completely break down when more than 2 players are in the area.
-Dev's solution to getting around the steam auth problem? KEEP LOGGING OUT AND LOGGING IN.
-Cant log onto your home server cause its maxed out with players.. get message on side of screen saying you can use the other servers for the time being, use another server and it wont let you
cause YOUR NATION IS DOMINATING THAT SERVER SO YOU CANT LOG IN.
-Marketplace doing weird magical things like taking your hard earned silver and running off with it. Also, crashing. Alot.

I'd give it a week or two before jumping on. Most of these problems are annoying, but some of them are just LOL.

SweetBro
May 12, 2014

Reminds me of Mortal Online launch, but with less naked people rummaging through my loin cloth. Good times.

zwdzk
Dec 12, 2012

smug
It is once again that wonderful time of year where I try to relive my MMO glory days. This game looks kind of fun. Someone please stop me.

ShowTime
Mar 28, 2005
I remember reading something recently about Gloria Victis popping off, but haven't looked into it at all.

Reign of Guilds was pure dogshit and I gave up on it fast.

ShowTime fucked around with this message at 01:26 on Feb 14, 2023

FreeWifi!!
Oct 11, 2013

Okay, that's true. Good point, Marquess. Point for you. But you get a point taken away for being a dick. So, back to zero.

SweetBro posted:

Reminds me of Mortal Online launch, but with less naked people rummaging through my loin cloth. Good times.

It's not a bad game. I've played way worse.

I really think the dev's were one hundred percent not even in the smallest way prepared for the 2k+ new players they were about to take on when 1.0 dropped.

2k might not seem like alot when you've played WOW or ESO, but that's a hell of a lot more than your weekly player count of 129, which was around that for GV.

The notes they throw up when you log in pretty much say "Uhhh yea, we almost got some of the bugs out of this and that..."

But sadly, when you log in it's a completely different story.

Kinda hoping they get it together before all the new players just get frustrated and leave.

Played Reign Of Guilds for the first time last night and uh, well,..... yea...

no.

ShowTime
Mar 28, 2005
I've been watching some streamers play it and i'm gonna pass. It seems to be very boring and has a bad tutorial/starting experience, which I think turns people off and they refund before 2hrs pass.

Deki
May 12, 2008

It's Hammer Time!

SweetBro posted:

My mortal online 1 experience was logging into the beta and being stuck in a lake looking straight down at my characters lovingly rendered junk.

Fun times.

Modguy
Nov 9, 2012

Deki posted:

My mortal online 1 experience was logging into the beta and being stuck in a lake looking straight down at my characters lovingly rendered junk.

Fun times.

This is why the giant lake in the map is named Sausage Lake; in honor of this event.

ShowTime
Mar 28, 2005
Apparently Gloria Victis is actually really good, once you get out of the tutorial. A few streamers I watch were about to quit due to the monotony of the tutorial, but as soon as they got out of it and into PvP, they started having a blast and are hooked.

I might have to pick it up and check it out. It's not on sale anymore, but it looks way better than that pile of poo poo MO2. Watching some people that are no longer in the tutorial has me eyeing it as a replacement.

FireWhizzle
Apr 2, 2009

a neckbeard elemental
Grimey Drawer

ShowTime posted:

Apparently Gloria Victis is actually really good, once you get out of the tutorial. A few streamers I watch were about to quit due to the monotony of the tutorial, but as soon as they got out of it and into PvP, they started having a blast and are hooked.

I might have to pick it up and check it out. It's not on sale anymore, but it looks way better than that pile of poo poo MO2. Watching some people that are no longer in the tutorial has me eyeing it as a replacement.

I have a character in KOTO and have lots of fun making people irrationally irate on contact when they see 4 letters; see above poster.

GV is really good and just better than MO2 in every way. Different art style but has its own charm imo.

SweetBro
May 12, 2014

IDK if it was better in every way. I think MO2 captured the "mystique" of being thrown into a new world and having to map out and navigate around it. The lack of mini-map or accurate world map, allowed me to experience playing a scout/explorer in a way no other game has had before, as I tried (and succeeded) in finding an alternate route to JG Camp that completely bypassed the gankable choke points, using a variety of landmark features for navigation.

The problem is that poo poo goes away after like a couple of months of the game being live and everyone just optimized away all the fun. I think MO2 would be an exponentially better game if it was a seasons based game, with a map that's like a 1/3rd of the current size and would get remixed every half a year or so. But it feels like Starbreeze always has just the absolute worst dev priorities at any given time.

SoJ57261
Jul 7, 2015

SweetBro posted:

IDK if it was better in every way. I think MO2 captured the "mystique" of being thrown into a new world and having to map out and navigate around it. The lack of mini-map or accurate world map, allowed me to experience playing a scout/explorer in a way no other game has had before, as I tried (and succeeded) in finding an alternate route to JG Camp that completely bypassed the gankable choke points, using a variety of landmark features for navigation.
I agree, to me GV felt more like a typical themepark where everything is served on a platter.

SweetBro posted:

The problem is that poo poo goes away after like a couple of months of the game being live and everyone just optimized away all the fun. I think MO2 would be an exponentially better game if it was a seasons based game, with a map that's like a 1/3rd of the current size and would get remixed every half a year or so. But it feels like Starbreeze always has just the absolute worst dev priorities at any given time.
That will definitely partially happen but atm it seems the game has a constant stream of new players who don't have this knowledge so it just means your knowledge is worth more after a few months. Game have honestly been online for like 1.5 years now counting beta and whenever I ask people in town they know loving nothing except the basics of their own surroundings. So many don't even leave their own towns it seems.

With that said I'm not sure MO2 is the savior for sandbox fantasy MMO gamers unfortunately, so many janky mechanics and the melee system really sucks yet it is seemingly one of the better options around atm.

SoJ57261 fucked around with this message at 12:55 on Feb 28, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ShowTime
Mar 28, 2005
It's still wild to me that they can release a big patch, pull in a bunch of returning players that want to see it and be like "nah, we can't handle it, shut it down for the weekend". I was seeing streamers back that swore they'd never play again. And at this point, they never will. I guess it needed to be done, but yea, those streamers are never coming back.