Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

VideoGames posted:

More like Metroid Dreading the reveal of where it is on the SA GOTY list with no one voting for it and Nintendo choosing to end the series for another decade.

VG bringing the heat :stare:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

Erwin the German posted:

Very well, the Twin List has been updated.

You can't submit two lists!

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Rarity posted:

You gotta admit it's a pretty good racket. You sure my "twin" can't vote this year too?

Erwin the German
May 30, 2011

:3

Regy Rusty posted:

You gotta admit it's a pretty good racket. You sure my "twin" can't vote this year too?

Those rubes over at GameFAQs were always fooled, why not here? :smuggo:

Rarity posted:

Very well - count the first one then. I don't wanna spend another ten dollars for this lol

VideoGames
Aug 18, 2003

Waffleman_ posted:

Looks like you're part of the problem, Veeg.

Furukawa and Miyamoto told me once, in a phone call, that the whole future of the Metroid Franchise rested on me.
Then Miyazaki called me and said "He's called Big Hat Logan because he wears a big hat" and the deed was done.

I chose FromSoftware.

Erwin the German
May 30, 2011

Return of the old list, now that my shiftless lout of a brother has been sufficiently shamed into spending money on a dead gay comedy forum so he can post his favorite 2021 games in good conscience. This has been a highly embarrassing experience for us both, so I hope you're all very happy.

8. Valheim

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3Ys7DG8ecAI

Valheim’s one of those games where you sink an absolutely ridiculous amount of hours into it in a week and then don’t touch it again for months. For me, it’s been a steady eight or so months since I last played it, but I’ve obviously got good memories of that time - making cute viking bases with friends, appreciating the deceptively simple, yet gorgeous graphics, and the depth of its systems and exploration. I get really into the weeds when it comes to providing for those bases - going out and collecting resources everyone needs, going hunting for food, finding new dungeons to explore together. Miss me with that building stuff, I’m middling at best, but I love to go out and kill things, find hidden fun stuff and more. A lovely little game, and its time in the limelight was well-deserved. I’ll return some day once it’s more complete.

7. RimWorld (Ideology)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lq9IHHkeOM4

Pretty sure I had RimWorld on my list last year? Here it is again, if so. Ideology was a massive and much-appreciated addition to the formula, which is as compelling and engrossing as usual. Ideology lets you get real granular with how you run your colony though, adding a generous amount of customization in terms of aesthetics, play style, goals and so on. If you like to roleplay your colonies instead of being some sort of maximum efficiency sicko, Ideology is basically a required pick-up. Do you like trees? Your colony can really like trees. Do you like being a cannibal? Your colony can really like cannibalism. How about drugs? Your colony can really like drugs. So on and so forth, if it’s a thing in Rimworld, chances are good you can make it central to your next colony and have a fun, novel time of it.

6. Deathloop

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VFR5G42WRvg

Here’s where I started struggling where to rank things, but while Deathloop is a great game, one I was looking forward to a lot, it’s just not as good as other things I played this year. That doesn’t make it bad, though, just not as good as I wanted it to be. Deathloop’s core conceit for me is, what if the game forced me to not save scum and let me play Dishonored without worrying about bad boy points? Turns out it’s a pretty good time, one that makes you own up to your mistakes and roll with them, which is a lot of fun in an immersive sim. The story is fun and compelling for a lot of reasons, most of which I won’t get into - unraveling the mystery over the various loops feels really satisfying. However, there’s a lot of problems - enemy AI is really, uh, bad. Weapon variety isn’t much to write home about, and the powers are pretty serviceable and good enough. Lastly, for an immersive sim, it sure wants you to accomplish your core objectives in a very rigid way. How you accomplish those objectives is of course a matter of personal playstyle, but there’s only so much you can do.

These are all mostly what amount to nitpicking, though. Deathloop’s pretty fun and good, and its soundtrack slaps.

5. Ghost of Tsushima: Iki Island

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nsk0FeKR9q0

Ghost was on my last list, and here it is again, but the DLC this time. I still really enjoy the combat, music, acting and story of this game, and the DLC only further emphasized pretty much all of those things. I played this one with Japanese dubbing, and it was a solid time - the Iki island story compliments the main game very well with a lot of its story beats and underlying themes. Still a deceptively smart and well-written game for all of its samurai flick tropes, which it executes lovingly as always. Gorgeous to look at, too. It’s more of the same, with some fun new add-ons, and a storyline that’s actually worth exploring as an expansion to the main plot. Basically all I ask for from a DLC.

You can also pet animals after playing the flute for them. This is the main reason why you should play it.

4. Barotrauma

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JPaQmwQoEoY

Much like Hunt from last year, Barotrauma is a game I played a lot of with my circle of friends, and it’s a pretty unique and addicting experience in that regard. It’s often described as Space Station 13 in the ocean, which is accurate enough, if you added a good amount of FTL into the mix for its campaign mode. Working together to keep the sub running is surprisingly fun and doesn’t get boring or old for me, despite playing as the mechanic, someone who doesn’t often shoot at awful sea monsters - keeping the sub going is a challenge in itself sometimes, and when things go bad, they go exquisitely bad. Playing this with a good and focused group is a great experience, and there’s a good chunk of variety in the missions you’ll do, often inviting catastrophe from some lurking presence just out of sight. Despite the inherently isolating experience of running a submarine on an alien moon full of horrors, it’s hard to feel especially alone when you’re goofing off with your friends, even when said sub is rapidly sinking.

3. Deltarune

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uiou1f5nzlU

I replayed chapter 1 this year in preparation for 2, which I played immediately after, and I’m glad I did. Even unfinished, Deltarune is a wonderful and affecting story, full of characters with a lot of heart and earnestness to them. The music is as good as it’s ever been, it’s still got that same brand of humor, the art has only gotten better from Undertale, it’s basically as good as its predecessor, just with the caveat that it’s not a finished story. What’s here is well-worth playing right now, though. It’s never really a question of whether I’ll enjoy these games or not at this point, it’s just good stuff all around. Toby Fox knows his poo poo, and his success is pretty well-deserved.

2. Disco Elysium: The Final Cut

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d2hUbafQCII

Replayed it when the Final Cut came out, as promised last year - the game is still excellent, and even better with full voice acting and expanded content. This is the bar against which I measure other games’ story and dialogue. A legendary feat of performance from Lenval Brown, who voices all of the deranged opinions and skills in your detective’s noggin, but I’d be very remiss not to also mention Jullian Champenois, who plays the wonderful anchor to your madness, Kim Kitsuragi. Still the most earnest, affecting and well-written game in a very long time.

1. Final Fantasy 14: Endwalker

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FXYUjJrGMjA

Okay, so I’m cheating a bit here, since I’m not actually quite done with the main story, but I’m pretty much into the good stuff by now. And the stuff is very good. FF14 was my number one last year and that hasn’t changed - it’s downright shameful how excited I am to get through this story on any given day, the culmination of hours upon hours of time spent with these characters and in this world. The ultimate pay-off is yet to come, and if what I’ve played through is any indication, it’ll be every bit as joyful and emotionally devastating as I want it to be. This is the first expansion I’ve gotten to play concurrently with my friends too, and that’s a special joy in itself - to ponder over where the plot will go next and ruminate on new revelations. Its popularity is well-earned, much as we all might loathe the ridiculous queue and hair-pulling errors that shunt us out of it. Stick with it, folks.

Music’s amazing all around, the new class changes are, for the most part, very welcome, the new areas are lovingly designed, boss fights and dungeons are appropriately spectacular. Time will tell if I end up preferring this to Shadowbringers, but so far things are looking very up. No other game made me more excited to play it this year.

Edit: I have finished Endwalker! It's good! Really good! Number one good!

Erwin the German fucked around with this message at 09:31 on Dec 19, 2021

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Harrow posted:

Metroid Dread will be on my list whenever I gather the brainpower to actually post it.

It's one of only two 2021 games on there, I think.

Correction: there will be three 2021 releases on my list, though one is a remaster of a 24-year-old game

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

An elegant twin solution

Erwin the German
May 30, 2011

mine get to be rated higher since i had to make the edit :colbert:

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~
Surely the twin has 10 bucks to buy their own account? :thunkher:

Kull the Conqueror
Apr 8, 2006

Take me to the green valley,
lay the sod o'er me,
I'm a young cowboy,
I know I've done wrong
Just waiting patiently for my Griftlands posse to burst through the door at any moment :ohdear:

Enrico la Spaniard
Dec 15, 2021

Rarity posted:

Surely the twin has 10 bucks to buy their own account? :thunkher:

:colbert: Fine, fine.

5. Hitman 3

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=obFfcCwVIxY

(music is from the inimitable Jesper Kyd, and technically from a different game, but Hitman 3's music didn't make a lasting impression on me, so yeah. same franchise, though!)

I hadn't played the World of Assassination trilogy until 2021, waiting several years until Hitman 3 came out so I could play everything in one neat package. It was worth it. All the things that make being Agent 47 fun are well executed here. One could make a killing with all the fun to be had in this virtual playground.

Okay, enough of that. Even if these games weren't so well made, I'd still love it because of what an amazing weirdo 47 is. He is clearly a terrifying assassin, but can pass as a psychiatrist just by slapping on a pair of glasses and a tweed vest and spouting something laced with menace and thinly veiled double entendre. As a protagonist, he's right up there with Leon S. Kennedy and J.C. Denton for me in terms of immortal one liners.

The only fly in the ointment is that I prefer the dark and brooding atmosphere of the earlier games, especially Blood Money and Contracts. This is much more James Bond (fitting, considering what the studio's next project is.) But alas, you can't have it all.

4. F.E.A.R.

https://youtu.be/qX73XG9e5BE?t=103

An old standby for me - I played this waaaaay back when it first came out and boy is it still good. The best FPS combat money can buy - hearing the cool and collected barks of replica soldiers descend into panicked screaming as you zip around in slo-mo is something that's only been properly emulated once - and that is by Trepang2, whose demo spurred me to revisit its inspiration. As a horror experience it's not as effective as it used to be, but no matter. The fights are what propel this game forward, and the reason you should play it.

3. Underrail

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X9CMKPztGXY

Studious in its distillation of all the elements that make the original Fallout games such a joy to play, Underrail is the best CRPG I've played all year. This was my second time through - now with the Expedition expansion, which raises the level cap by five (sorely needed) and made controversial changes to the way the psionics system works. I dove right into a pure psionicist after doing some obsessive research (fine-tuned character builds are something of a currency in this fandom) and had a fantastic time. The tone while playing tends to oscillate between glee as I set a crowd of raiders on fire with the power of my mind to agony as a crawler, the worst thing devised by the human imagination, unfurls from the shadows to stun me for another two rounds with its poison sting. The frustration is worth it - the satisfaction of winning every lethal game of chess wouldn't be half as sweet otherwise.

What I admire most about the game is how the setting all fits together - there is a long and complicated history to every faction, all with their own political concerns and logistical considerations. The game world doesn't revolve around the player. When you ascend to the top of the food chain in the big city arena, you still have to remind everyone that you're the Invictus. And they never believe you. You only earn the game's respect when you uncover its secrets, and the only reward for that is understanding that your place in the world is much, much smaller than you dared to imagine.

2. Divinity: Original Sin 2

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6ZvEKSN6mZU

As with Underrail, this was my second time playing Divinity 2. It's a very good game - it encourages the use of novel combinations and dirty tricks to get one over on your opponent, and the story features a great many emergent possibilities depending on how you wanna solve problems. The story is also fine - didn't blow me away, and the writing is a little *too* clever for me, but that's okay. I've seen the word "generous" come up often to describe this game's general philosophy, and that seems apt.

You can probably tell that, while I like this game, I'm not exactly gushing over it. The game itself isn't really the point - for about half a year, however, it functioned like an adventurous date I'd go on with my boyfriend. I met this guy on Grindr in January of this past year, during the second wave of the pandemic. We didn't meet for about five months, but talked via Zoom about twice a week. Eventually we got to playing Divinity 2 together, about four or five hours every Wednesday, and continued backstabbing demons and summoning hulking monsters to do our bidding long after we met in person and made our relationship official.

There's nothing better than doing something fun with someone you love, and thus I'll always look at Divinity 2 with fondness.

1. Cruelty Squad

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SVRZvTAlDAY

Cruelty Squad is not an allegory about the future, despite taking place there. It is instead an unalloyed reflection of the world; it is capitalism, left without any frontier to conquer, eternally consuming its own tail. It is nothing ever ending, only becoming inexorably worse. It is the constant expectation that something should happen, only for there to be no resolution, no consequence. It is the bass never dropping. It is a power fantasy in a disempowering universe, where death is never final, and the ossified garbage world we have created for ourselves lurches forward until the Great Crush puts us all out of our misery.

Adjacent to the themes Cruelty Squad explores is a hilarious and disgusting immersive sim, featuring a list of strange biomechanical powers and inventive firearms. Like any game worthy of the genre, there are vents to crawl, paths to discover, toilets to interact with, birdbrained enemies to decapitate and three endings to uncover, each one bringing you closer to a final understanding of how poo poo everything is. There is no hope here; only CEO grindset.

Enrico la Spaniard fucked around with this message at 16:44 on Dec 15, 2021

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~
:aaaaa:

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

I'm proud of you

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

Griftlands ✋😤
Hitmans ✌️🥰

Morphogenic96
Oct 30, 2013

There you go

Honurable Mentions

Slay the Spire mods: As of writing, there are 171 Character mods, all with their own interesting ideas.
Tales of Arise – Just missed the list. I had fun with it even if objectively it had a bunch of flaws.

10. Super Robot Wars 30

One step forward and one step back in this entry; the non linear mission selection, the fact that there are a ton of missions and the many upgrade systems are nice but they do result in the game feeling a bit bloated and a cakewalk after the first few missions. Still it’s good old SRW with tons of awesomely animated mecha goodness.

9. Unreal life

A surreal doujin pixel adventure game. Something about the atmosphere and ambience throughout the game really sells that quiet yet surreal night vibe like a dreamlike 3am walk.

8. The Sekimeiya: Spun Glass

A ridiculously complicated mystery with by far the most complex use of time travel I’ve seen and it’s great fun trying to constantly figure out what the hell is going on. Despite being a VN, the story itself is challenging enough that it could qualify as a puzzle game, especially with the optional quiz at the end.

7. Griftlands

A roguelike deckbuilder but with a story with each run managing to feel a little like a mini rpg. It’s actually pulled off fairly well and even if each story does get a bit old after a few runs, there’s 3 different characters with their own decks and stories and that resuts in a good 20 hours playtime already. The gameplay itself is classic roguelike deckbuilder goodness with the interesting twist of having a separate battle deck and a negotiation deck.

6. Fuga: Melodies of Steel

Surprisingly under the radar for AA sequel to a cult classic that reviewed well. Story’s a pretty touching plucky furry kids and their giant tank versus the not-Nazis and it manages some pretty touching moments. Battle’s are a pretty unique affair, with the Grandia style turn based with a timeline system and also involves constantly swapping your 12 large party in and out as the situation requires, and is actually balanced fairly well with each kid having their own definitive niche. Alternates with some light sim elements where you get members of your party to make friends for better passives and cute support events.

5. Nier Replicant ver 1.22...

Gameplay’s pretty generic ARPG stuff, there is a lot of time spent doing frankly generic JRPG sidequests and it’s got a serious problem with needing to replay parts several times to get to the true ending. Still there’s a reason the original got to be a cult classic when it’s issues were presumably far worse. It’s got some neat moments where the genre shifts temporarily, the grand twist, while pretty well known nowadays, is still an interesting re-contextualization of the plot and most importantly the characters still shine through. There’s just something that feels so raw and pure about them and it makes the various endings and especially the true ending hit really hard with the most memorable ending of anything I’ve played this year.

4. OMORI

A story of fear and tragedy and trauma but with a core of hope buried deep within. It does initially seem a bit predictable tale of working though grief but it was still well done enough to keep playing and then it when the true twist is revealed, it actually did surprise me. Gameplay isn’t exactly tactically deep but it works very well at integrating with the story.

3. The Great Ace Attorney Chronicles

The pinnacle of Ace Attorney. A new immersive Victorian Britain setting, a fresh take on some of the classic ace attorney tropes, an epic storyline that builds up and culminates over 10 chapters and a great cast of characters, with the family like grouping of Iris, Susato, Ryunosuke and Herlock being a great core cast, altogether makes for a fantastic game.

2. Yakuza: Like a Dragon

After the unimpressive Yakuza Kiwami 1 and 2 , this brought me back to the time I played Yakuza 0 and even surpassed it. The fights are now turn based JRPG battles which has some rough edges but it's a decent take for a first try and by far an improvement over the previous brawling system and it does lead to some hilarity like just hitting the big chapter boss in the face with cake or calling a satellite cannon down on a mook. The story is where this shines being a fun romp following a goof ball outcast of society making friends with other outcasts on his quest for information. It’s got a lot of heart and the scenes at the climax were breathtaking with a performance (English dub, so sue me) good enough to make me tear up.

1. Library of Ruina

Gameplay’s a card battler (notably not a roguelike) and while a bit complicated, it’s got quite a bit of depth with a lot of room for building broken strategies to use against increasingly complex and challenging enemies. While the prequel Lobotomy Corp only hinted at the world outside, this shows it in all its absurd capitalist dystopian glory with death squads, cannibalism, soulless corporations, horrifying monsters and worst of all a resigned acceptance from its inhabitants being just another day in the City. There’s also a strong dark but not nihilistic story on top of this. It has the most banging soundtrack of any game I’ve ever played with a mix of fast paced symphonic tracks that evolve as the fight progresses and that exude emotion. This goes double for the climax bosses some of whom even get vocal songs and combined with the way their mechanics resonate with their character and story, it makes every one of them an utterly awesome experience to fight.

Morphogenic96 fucked around with this message at 17:03 on Dec 15, 2021

DalaranJ
Apr 15, 2008

Yosuke will now die for you.
Tail Concerto was a cult classic?
*checks notes*
Solotarobo was a cult classic?

Morphogenic96
Oct 30, 2013

I'll admit to not having done an in depth investigation as to the the validity of the term but as far as I'm aware Solatorobo sold terribly but was well liked enough to try and create a sequel which is near enough.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
those games were kind of passion projects for CyberConnect2 who usually makes licensed anime games, they sold incredibly badly which is why they are worth $9001 resale these days

TwoHeadedDeer
Nov 24, 2020

I will be made a new creature, one bright day
cool to see Gnosia on a few lists here, I have to check that out

DemoneeHo
Nov 9, 2017

Come on hee-ho, just give us 300 more macca

So whats the thread policy on DLC and expansions, are they considered to be separate entries or lumped together with the base game/other expansions?

Specifically, i'm asking about Outer Wilds' DLC and the several award winning expansions of a critically acclaimed MMORPG with a free trial up to level 60.

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

DemoneeHo posted:

So whats the thread policy on DLC and expansions, are they considered to be separate entries or lumped together with the base game/other expansions?

Specifically, i'm asking about Outer Wilds' DLC and the several award winning expansions of a critically acclaimed MMORPG with a free trial up to level 60.

MMO expansions are all counted as separate games. DLC will generally be treated as part of the main game unless there's a really compelling reason not to

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Feels Villeneuve posted:

those games were kind of passion projects for CyberConnect2 who usually makes licensed anime games, they sold incredibly badly which is why they are worth $9001 resale these days
Yeah, CC2 makes very well received licensed games and uses the profits from those to occasionally make passion projects. The only one of said projects that's really gotten much attention is Asura's Wrath.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
for context cyberconnect2's specific passion is literally furries.

like apart from solatorobo and fuga they actually publish a magazine with that theme lol

DalaranJ
Apr 15, 2008

Yosuke will now die for you.

Endorph posted:

Yeah, CC2 makes very well received licensed games and uses the profits from those to occasionally make passion projects. The only one of said projects that's really gotten much attention is Asura's Wrath.

In any case, I’m glad that they’re able to continue to make games they want to make.

Play
Apr 25, 2006

Strong stroll for a mangy stray
Honorable Mentions: Chorus, Recompile, Tails of Iron, The Ascent, RUINER, They Always Run, Mighty Goose, The Artful Escape, Wolfstride, Crying Suns, Smelter, I Am Fish, The Great Ace Attorney Chronicles, Stonefly, Death's Door, Steel Assault, Spectacular Sparky, Far Cry 6, Olija.

10) Bomber Crew

I almost don't know what it is about this game that grabbed me so hard. It just ended up being the perfect combination of things. Roguelike mission structure, RPG upgrading, but most importantly the strategic and real-time choices you have to make during missions are both interesting and exciting. Nice mission variety and a need to beat the hardest missions in the game kept me coming back. I tried some of the other 'Crew' games but none of them were so enjoyable as Bomber Crew.

9) Forza Horizon 5

It's more Forza Horizon. And it's good dumb fun for fans of arcade racing games. Thousands of cars to collect, a huge map full of races and activities. It's not perfect by a long shot, but I've already put over 50 hours into it, more probably than any other game on this list so that has to mean something.

8) SNKRX

SNKRX is the ultimate chill game to play when you want an action game that partially plays itself and that you can divide your attention with. Nice tight design, a fun twist on an old game, and interesting units to experiment with help make this game absolutely genius for what it is. I just found out this is available on the google play store and I am so pumped for that because it's probably the only game that could make me want to use my phone/tablet as a gaming system.

7) Flynn Son of Crimson

Flynn is a very old-school action platformer with basic but engaging combat and fun platforming that throws all kinds of twisty mechanics at the player. The story is whatever, the gameplay is awesome and the whole thing is a great time. Old school fun with a few modern twists.

6) Dark Pictures Anthology: House of Ashes

The undeniable pinnacle of the series so far, House of Ashes goes truly off the rails and tells a freaky but awesome story about US marines stuck inside an ancient temple underneath an Iraqi village. Things get incredibly weird from there. A fantastic and reactive story which will legitimately end differently every time, great tension, great characters and a great twist at the end. Stellar stuff, and I hope the series only gets better from here.

5) Road 96

A procedurally-connected series of chapters that play out through the eyes of several different young people as they strive to reach the border and escape the authoritarian country they live in. The setup of this game is completely unique, the characters are incredibly memorable and the player can affect the story JUST enough to feel like they are truly involved. A great game which introduces systems and gameplay elements that I hope get picked up elsewhere.

4) Everhood

A cheap, dinky little indie game with a fantastic 'dancing' minigame battling system and a bizarre, hilarious, and sometimes disturbing story. The game seems a bit dumb on the surface but underneath it is anything but. I really hope more people play this game.

3) Riders Republic

Another game that is far from perfect. BUT what it does have is plenty enough to get it on this list. Engaging racing, a super fun trick system for bikes and skis/snowboards, some decent if underutilized multiplayer elements, and multiple sports that are all fun to engage with make this one of the best and most enduring games of the year. I am going to be playing this game for years, most likely. Maybe even a decade if that's how long it takes for a suitable replacement to come out. Certainly it's been a decade plus wait to get an extreme sports game like this one. I was super skeptical when I first saw a trailer for this but somehow they managed to meet the promises they made and came out with a game that's super fun to play.

2) Psychonauts 2

What's there to say that hasn't already been said in this thread already? A wacky, wonderful adventure full of beautiful art, thought-provoking levels, engaging platforming and a great story that holds it all together. This is a work of art and true passion and that passion shines through in every moment.

1) The Vale

Took me a long time to decide on this one, it's weird to choose a game that no one played for your top spot. But, it's the truth. This is the first game I've played entirely with my ears, and that's why it belongs here. It is unlike anything else I've ever seen (or heard, rather) before. Navigating areas by sound, blocking, striking, and using magic against enemies in the same way. Great missions, great voice acting, a cliche but enjoyable story. Sitting down to play a video game and closing your eyes completely is just one of the greatest experiences I had playing video games this year, which is why The Vale earns number 1.

TheIndividual
Apr 22, 2010
9. Resident Evil Village - Provided exactly the experience I was hoping for: a breezy romp through off brand Universal Monsters with RE4's upgrade and loot system.

8. Kid Amnesia Exhibition - Radiohead has been one of my favorite bands for decades now, so the initial trailer to this had me pretty excited. I'm not opposed to a walking simulator when the environments are this well handled.

7. Final Fantasy IV Pixel Remaster - Played how my nostalgia riddled brain remembered it, not how it actually was. Glorious soundtrack, the reduced grind was nice, the recurring fake-out deaths are all the funnier with how quickly you can get through them now without the grind.

6. Final Fantasy XIV - This got its hooks in me, currently sitting in queue while writing this. Not up to Endwalker yet so cannot comment on that, but really adore this series of games. Knowing that this team is behind FF16 has me already chalking that up as #1 next year.

5. Bloodborne - Perhaps the closest we'll ever get to a good 3d Castlevania. I only got a PS5 (and thus access to PS4 games) this past year, so this one was a bit of a revelation after having bounced HARD off of other Souls games. It has lead me to go back to the others and although none are quite as good as BB, I can enjoy the genre now and am eagerly awaiting Elden Ring.

4. Nier Automata - I dunno that a credit roll has ever hit me as hard as Ending E did.

3. Lost Judgment - I played through the whole of the Yakuza series this past year (Jesus COVID really has done a number on my social life) and this one was a nice capper. Not the best storyline of the series, but easily the best combat.

2. Shin Megami Tensei V - This was the entire reason I bought a Switch many years ago, and it lived up to the promise for me. Incredible soundtrack, the great battle system and difficulty progression SMT is known for... I will absolutely play this again when it's reissued and spruced up, hopefully on systems that can run it a little faster.

1. Metroid Dread - Easily the biggest surprise of the year. My jaw drat near hit the floor when the first trailer aired, and then to have it released only a couple months later was a dream come true. Plays flawlessly, lives up to the series pedigree and surpasses it in many ways. Tremendous. I hope the series doesn't return to hibernation now.

Help Im Alive
Nov 8, 2009

10 - Lonely Mountains: Downhill

Extremely chill game where you cycle down mountain trails (slightly less chill when you're doing the harder time trials) I bought this because I saw it on someone elses list in the thread last year, it's good!

09 - Famicom Detective Club: The Girl Who Stands Behind

I don't know if the two Famicom Detective Club games can count as one but if not this was the one I liked better. They put kind of a bizarre amount of effort into redoing all the art/music etc while keeping the NES menu based gameplay exactly the same. It makes it awkward to progress sometimes but I love how faithful it is to the originals (which I have not played but I looked up some longplays and it's v cool to see what they were working with) I'm assuming they didn't sell well but I would like more please

08 - Hitman 3

It's more Hitman but I could play these forever tbh and I hope 47 visits the UK someday and personally murders me

I don't think any levels they release could ever hit me like Paris/Sapienza did my first time with those but this was probably the strongest set of maps overall, the first two games each had at least 1 I didn't like. I'm interested to see what IO do next with the series after their Bond game

please enjoy the screenshot I took when I was impressed at the raindrops dripping down 47's head

07 - Guilty Gear: Strive

Mankind knew that they cannot change society. So instead of reflecting on themselves, they blamed the beasts. (Heaven or Hell - Duel 1 - Let's Rock!)

I play a lot of fighting games but for whatever reason kept bouncing off Xrd when I tried to get into it - Strive though is probably the most accessible anime fighter I've played (even more than BB Tag which is also extremely good) I have not played in a few months but I've been wanting to dip back in to try the DLC characters.

06 - Shin Megami Tensei III: Nocturne

This also includes SMTV in spirit because I haven't finished that yet but would make my top 10 too probably. I had a week off work and ended up playing this for like 80 hours somehow and got the platinum

I do not have any particularly deep insights to share on the story except that i don't like isamu's hat - but i do like naoto shirogane's...makes you think

05 - Rain World

rain world is beautiful and everything about the atmosphere + exploration was exactly the right vibe for the low mood I was in when I picked it up

It's easy to bounce off it because the game barely explains anything and it's not really clear where you need to go (and some areas can be brutal) but it's rewarding if you stick with it

04 - Great Ace Attorney Chronicles

I can't believe it's been over 5 years since the last AA game - everyone else has p much already said everything I want to say but it felt so good to be playing one of these again.

also i'm always kind of sad about how short these games feel because I end up blazing through them in a couple days but good lord this one is like 50 hours long it's great

03 - Metroid: Dread

Samus is back and her game actually sold well!! I replayed almost every game in the series early in the year to celebrate the 35th anniversary assuming that Nintendo wasn't going to do anything for it so getting Dread out of nowhere at E3 ruled

It is basically everything I wanted in a 2D Metroid also I'm a little amazed at how hard they nailed the speedrunning side of it - I haven't attempted anything other than the basic 4 hours to get the gallery unlocks but the actual speedruns of the game are incredible to watch. I had kind of assumed there might be a thing where the Super Metroid/GBA runners would bounce off it and stick to what they're used to but everyone seems to love it

02 - Final Fantasy XIV: Endwalker

it good

01 - Gnosia

I'm happy to see this on so many other lists, it just absolutely rules. Mafia/werewolf against AI with their own personalities/quirks in a repeating time loop is such a cool idea - I played it a little while after Raging Loop which is a VN take on it but I like this more gamey approach better. I played it back in March and I've kept thinking about it all year

and like a couple other people said the cast is so good!! The artist posts stuff on twitter sometimes which is the closest we'll ever get to more gnosia

https://twitter.com/cotoriGlobule/status/1466702687962279938

also make sure you play the first scene of new game plus for some extra lore

Games I was hoping to play/buy but haven't gotten to yet
New Pokemon Snap
TWEWY Neo
NMH3
Kena
Returnal
Blue Reflection 2 (update: I am playing it right now)

Honourable mentions
Resident Evil 8 - This was #11!!
Lost Judgement - It would definitely be on my list but I haven't finished it yet
Melty Blood: Type Lumina - I always wanted to try melty blood after following a japanese arcade's youtube channel like 10 years ago which even today still regularly uploads footage of actress again and that game looks super fun so it was nice to finally play a game in the series for myself though (I'd like to try AA someday though because they probably overdid it with the auto combos in this one) I wish they had put in the trenchcoat guy
Dr Mario 64 - i put an unusual amount of time into this game when they put it on the switch online thing

Monster Train - I got the Switch version recently and it seems v good but I've only played two runs so far
Final Fantasy VIII - I replayed this and guess what: it's still extremely good
A Short Hike - what a nice game
Stellaris: Console Edition - I'd never really played 4x games but I got super into this one even though the console version is a few patches behind. I played as humans and then another game as plant people but the next time I see the expansions on sale the gnosia will conquer the galaxy
Neo Geo Pocket Colour Collection Vol. 1 - very cool I hope we get a vol 2

Sakuna - It owns but I got distracted by other stuff halfway through. Even though the combat is v good I would be down for a sequel that is just hardcore rice growing simulator 2022
Windjammers
Ys: Origin - I was going to check out more of the series after loving this but then I got distracted by my successful PS5 purchase and RE Village. Maybe in 2022?!!
Astro's Playroom
New Super Lucky's Tale
Sonic Colours
Life is Strange: True Colours
Chicory: A Colourful Tale

Subnautica Colours - it was good but crafting in games stresses me out and the PS4 port is super glitchy
Deathloop Colours - I liked it but it wasn't what I was expecting, I agree with everything owl_pellet said in their list on page 2

Help Im Alive fucked around with this message at 21:57 on Dec 28, 2021

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

10. Shin Megami Tensei III: Nocturne
One the most atmospheric JRPGs I’ve played, with some of the strongest combat and party mechanics to boot. Hurt by a few too many generic “puzzle” dungeons (specifically trial and error “puzzles”) and unavoidable random encounters. Still a very cool, very memorable game, propelled by a premise I haven’t seen done very often: “What if we destroyed the entire world in the first twenty minutes of the game?” (Though by “entire world” it really just means “Tokyo”, the rest of the planet isn’t brought up :shrug:)

9. Baldur’s Gate: Enhanced Edition
An early example of a real-time-with-pause adaptation of Dungeons & Dragons, and somehow still one of the best. So much mod support, too, and it deftly avoids the one thing most mods can’t fix by having excellent writing from the start. I keep getting the idea that I’ll complete a full BG-BG2-Throne of Bhaal every year, though sadly my restartitis keeps kicking in and I end up burning out.

8. Cultist Simulator
As I understand it, this game shares some DNA with Fallen London / Sunless Sea / Sunless Skies, and boy does it show it. Plays mostly like a clicker game, honestly, with copious amounts of resource management, all of which is framed by an expansive Lovecraftian universe that doles out proper nouns like candy. But it’s all very evocative, and unlike most Lovecraft-style writing, it maintains a wry and confident tone throughout. Still, it involves lots and lots of waiting for tasks to complete, which I might be alone in being 100% okay with, because I always found myself transfixed by the atmosphere the game emits.

7. Divinity: Original Sin 2
Featuring my favourite turn-based RPG combat of all time, with the help of a friend I played it to completion for the first time after several false starts. Granted, I had trouble following the story because there is a lot of text, and for me, playing this co-op meant I always felt like someone was reading over my shoulder and I had to skim more than I wanted. But it was worth it, because combat and some non-combat encounters were just so, so much fun. I have a few nits to pick with the inventory and itemization systems, which sometimes made things tedious or frustrating, but overall, I had a blast with this game.

6. Valheim
Another co-op champion. Some grindy resource acquisitions aside, Valheim hit the perfect balance between exploration and crafting. It’s a simple enough circuit: explore and gather the materials needed to craft the equipment needed to defeat a boss who’ll then drop the key to the next tier of materials, repeat. And nothing beats planning out an expedition across the sea with my best pal, equipped with only as much as we need, finding new biomes and fighting new monsters along the way, filling our pockets with ore and other ingredients, then sailing back home in triumph, ready for another bout of figuring out what new cool things we can craft with what we’ve gathered.

5. Europa Universalis 4: Anbennar
I’m mostly a PC gamer, and I’m not shy about using mods to supplement the games I play. Anbennar, a total conversion mod for the grand strategy game Europa Universalis 4, is easily one of the most extraordinary mods I’ve ever seen. It’s still a work in progress, but the depth and breadth of what’s there is already astounding. It introduces a moderately generic medieval fantasy, but with an eye towards the political, and in so doing it all feels very believable, even realistic. The world is huge, and there are entire continents full of nations with unique mechanics I haven’t dipped my toe in. It’s a much more guided experience than vanilla Europa Universalis, and consequently more interested in telling a particular story with each playthrough, which suits me perfectly. The best part is, it recognizes that the base game already has really good mechanics, and so it doesn’t go out of its way to “fix” any of it. Any Europa Universalis player will feel right at home… once they internalize the new fantasy place names.

Posting energy is drained

4. Sekiro: Shadows Die Twice
I loved every fromsoft game I’ve played, all of them. Even the badder ones that goons complain about. Yet I sat on Sekiro because it seemed parry-based and I can’t parry in souls games. Luckily someone told me “actually john sekiro’s sword is the best shield in any From game” and that unlocked it for me. Thank you to whoever said that, I’m sorry I can’t remember. Caveat: I cheated myself and failed to grow/learn by getting a mod that halves the last boss’s damage because I was getting owned and also getting tired of getting owned

3. Total War: Warhammer 2
Warhammer means nothing to me but this game is super cool, I’ll never be good at it but I’m good enough to win most fights versus the AI and it’s fun!

2. Hades
Winner of last year’s GotY thread and also recommended to me by my girl gamer cousin, I hesitated because while I admire Supergiant I’ve never loved them. UNTIL NOW

1. Hitman 3
Favourite game in my favourite “thrillogy”, every map a hit, every run a joy, surprisingly affecting story stuff, very humourous, 47 is such a fun character, I loving love this game

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

Baby even when I'm dead and gone
You will always be my only one, my only one
When the night is calling
No matter who I become
You will always be my only one, my only one, my only one
When the night is calling

I was eagerly awaiting this year's thread and it is not disappointing me so far. Still working on my list and will probably not be able to definitively rule on it until after Christmas because I'll almost certainly be getting a couple of things that can contend at that point.

But spoiler alert I replayed Resi 4 this summer so that'll be on there somewhere.

Kazzah
Jul 15, 2011

Formerly known as
Krazyface
Hair Elf
#10 Deathloop (PS5)
I went in with sky-high expectations, and it was... pretty good. It's an 0451 Game— I will never say Immersive Sim— that makes it impossible for players to save-scum, impossible to go slow, and impossible to bully the AI too much, since there will usually be another player hunting you as well. The story is pretty flat; it gestures in interesting directions, but there just isn't much there. The non-player enemies are a real disappointment. To be fair, they weren't a strong point in the other Arcane games, but the player is a lot more fragile in those, so they still posed some threat. Still, it's a joy to learn your way around the world, and it does a pretty good job creating a natural-feeling power curve that comes partly from mechanical unlocks and partly from increasing player confidence and knowledge. And, hey, there's nothing else quite like it.

#9 God of War (2018) (PS5)
This game's pretty underground, you probably haven't heard of it.
For real though, there is something incredible about this game where everything, every little corner of the map and bit of incidental dialogue and dumb sidequest, has so much work and thought poured into it. Also I loved the original games, and I genuinely like the mostly-serious way this game relates to their events.

#8 Astro's Playroom (PS5)
This is... a playable ad for Sony® PlayStation® products. It's also a very fun and charming platformer, and the controller-based special effects are something I had never experience before; I gasped out loud the first time I went into spring-mode, and felt the metal scrunch together when I pulled the trigger. And, well, I guess I do have nostalgia for some of the Products. Hey, they even let you rotate the logo on the PS2 Slim, I remember that. If you get a PS5, just play this first, before you try any of the real games.

#7 Anno 2205 (PC)
This game got some flak for its easiness and simplicity compared to the other Anno games, but that happens to be what I was in the mood for. The year in 2205, and your job is to build several cities in different parts of the world and build complex, interwoven production lines. It's on the border between a game and a zen garden, where the goal is to expand your production slowly and sustainably. This isn't Factorio; massive overproduction will kill you. I had a great week where I spent every night zoning out to this. Just deeply chill.

#6 Ratchet & Clank: Rift Apart (PS5)
Speaking of nostalgia, this game rules. I wouldn't call it mechanically or narratively rich, but the guns are fun to shoot and the movement feels great, especially once you get the rocket boots. It's also graphically unbelievable, particularly in the 60+RT mixed mode. Borderline playable Pixar movie. I look forward to NG+ing it in a couple years. I haven't played a Ratchet game since the PS2 (the last console I owned before this year), and it was good to be back.

#5 Prey: Mooncrash (PC)
I'd played Prey before (and replayed it this year), but this standalone Timeloop Roguelite 0451er was new to me. It ruled; honestly, it did Deathloop better than Deathloop. The density of the areas, the escalating hazards, the complex and interrelated objectives, they all come together just right. The main game has this problem where it gives you tons of options, but you end up ignoring most of them. Like it's full of shortcuts and passageways into new areas that I only discovered after I'd kicked down the door and shot everything. Mooncrash, with its repeating structure, teaches the player about these areas and gives them a clear way to use this knowledge, which makes it more satisfying than the base game in a lot of ways. It also detaches your neuromod upgrades from your material wealth, which makes you better appreciate the value of those upgrades; in the base game, I ended up with about a hundred items to heal and repair myself, so it didn't matter if I took damage, so it didn't matter if I upgraded my health and armour. Anyway it's tight.

#4 Outer Wilds: Echoes of the Eye (PC)
Now technically this is an expansion, and the story is weaved in with the main story. BUT, this expansion happens almost entirely within a self-contained area, and you can start a new save and just do the expansion if you want, which is what I ended up doing. So gently caress it, it counts as a separate experience. Outer Wilds was my GotY in 2019, and honestly, it might be my Game of the Decade too. This expansion adds a new area to explore and learn about, and then another new area whose relation to the first is impossible to explain without getting into major spoilers; I'll just say that it was one of the most ambitious and original things I've played, and it completely washed away my fears that Mobius Digital might not be able to follow up OW with something equally grand.

#3 Dyson Sphere Program (PC)
It's... basically a Chinese ripoff of Factorio. That said, it is excellent. The act of actually building a Dyson sphere means that your overall goal is extremely tangible, in a way that the Factorio rocket just isn't. The act of building a factory on a globe is sometimes frustrating, but it's worth it, to be able to eventually see a whole planet covered in metal, resources pouring in from your colonies, while sphere parts take off round the clock. It also benefits a lot from the sense of exploration. An immensely screenshottable game. Hell, have one right now:

This is not an official promo screenshot or anything, it just looks like this

#2 Disco Elysium (PC)
I finally got around to it. It's thoughtful, expansive, genuinely hilarious, all in a way that casts a harsh light on the extreme mediocrity of most games writing. Even the stock characters have a real humanity to them, like talking to a normal person, without everything being filtered through some edgy-yet-still-corporate idea of cool. See you in five years.

#1 Doom Eternal (PC)
They could have made more Doom'16, and people would have been fine with it. Instead they did this, and pissed off half the fans, but made the other half very, very happy. This game is carefully engineered to get me, specifically me, In The Zone, in the state where all decisions are instinctual, and those instincts are always right, and it's still just barely enough to win. The movement feels so good I straight-up can't go back to Doom 2016. There are no bad weapons, at all. It's just perfect. Well, the story sucks, but I don't care. The most important parts are perfect.

Honourable mentions:
Kentucky Route Zero (PC): parts of it I muddled through because I was too stubborn to quit, but Act 4 is transcendent
Spider-man: Miles Morales (PS5): hey, it's more Spider-man, and it's not like they're gonna make another Arkham game ever. Loved the new powers; loved the old movement. Winter settings do nothing for me, though.
Dark Souls 3 (PC): finally got around to it. I had a good time, though I hated the Ringed City, which made the end a bit of a downer.
Prey (2017) (PC): a replay; still good as hell. Talos 1 might be my favourite video game setting, like ever.
Into the Breach (PC): I reinstalled this on a whim, and lost 20 hours to it in about a week, getting all the cheevos I missed when it released. The Flame Behemoths are mechanically perfect in every way.
Wir Sind Das Volk (board game): this game rules. Certain events have made it harder to get a group together, so this year I've spent more time with 1v1 board games, and this one - the economic struggle between the BRD and the DDR - is just so original and engaging in its mechanics. I'm slowly building up a cast of friends who know how to play it, so I can finally play the 4-player expansion some day.

Erwin the German
May 30, 2011

Gotta say, I'm with you on having liked Mooncrash more than Deathloop. Prey itself was a ton of fun as well, but Mooncrash just really distilled the formula into a great gameplay loop.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

Help Im Alive posted:

05 - Rain World

rain world is beautiful and everything about the atmosphere + exploration was exactly the right vibe for the low mood I was in when I picked it up

It's easy to bounce off it because the game barely explains anything and it's not really clear where you need to go (and some areas can be brutal)

This is where I've been for years, every so often I reinstall it and give it a try and I have no idea where I'm going or what I'm doing and then a monster notices me and I get eaten and I uninstall it again. Guess it'll be time to give it another try soon

victrix
Oct 30, 2007

It has a really super fascinating story and setting, but unfortunately accessing said story is obtuse bullshit

Play the game for the insane atmosphere and look up the story later (do not go look it up now you spoiler freaks, if you have the slightest interest in playing through it'll taint the entire experience)

You can infer broad strokes and big picture concepts on your first playthrough, the finer details are tougher to excavate

TheMopeSquad
Aug 5, 2013
I'm not going to make a whole list but just wanted to say that Everhood is my GoTY. During the first maybe ten minutes I was nitpicking it but drat it turned out to be amazing and I think the whole "ending sequence" was one of the best in a video game ever. It also had a very unexpected theme behind everything and I thought that in TYoL 2021 it was refreshingly optimistic and made me feel feelings.

Play
Apr 25, 2006

Strong stroll for a mangy stray

TheMopeSquad posted:

I'm not going to make a whole list but just wanted to say that Everhood is my GoTY. During the first maybe ten minutes I was nitpicking it but drat it turned out to be amazing and I think the whole "ending sequence" was one of the best in a video game ever. It also had a very unexpected theme behind everything and I thought that in TYoL 2021 it was refreshingly optimistic and made me feel feelings.

Hell yeah. High five everhood buddy

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

Bless your soul Rarity I was looking forward to this

I'll need to collect my thoughts and post a proper list soon but atm it's looking like I may have some repeats thanks to some of them actually getting official releases in the west this year. And also the fact that I genuinely have been playing them a lot since last year and haven't really stopped.

...Like Ring Fit.

BabyRyoga
May 21, 2001

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021
10. Dungeon Encounters - A simple dungeon crawler game that has the aesthetic of being literally made in a spreadsheet. For how simple it is, it gets rather difficult and forces a unique playstyle as you progress further in. There is a huge flaw in that there is an actual danger of losing your save if you play poorly and wipe completely, which is taken to the level of frustration with one of the mechanics that is introduced late in the game that isn't really fair. Still a unique experience.

9. Astalon: Tears of the Earth - Very charming pixel old-school style metroidvania indie game that is not very expensive, and will give you a dozen or more hours. It doesn't feel too difficult nor is a pushover, and there is a lot to explore. Definitely a sleeper.

8. Genshin Impact - Honestly, there is a lot to complain about re: bad design with this game when you examine the specifics, but there is a lot to do in it and I play it a lot. Therefore, it is worthy to mention, but not to praise too much. Gacha games are inherently exploitative and a bane on gaming as a whole. For a gacha, this has really high production values, but even then it still falls into the pitfall of lazy gacha production values that just want to squeeze as much money out of the whales as possible.

7. It Takes Two - Creative, and a fun game to play with your SO/best friend/whatever. I'd say it's worth one playthrough for any kind of person who enjoys games, providing you have someone to play with. I don't know if it's worth very much more than that, though. Maybe one would play it again at a later time or with a different person? The game somehow manages to feel both adequate in length, but also too short given the idea that you will probably play it once and put it down.

6. Returnal - This has the feel of Metroid Prime, but in the form of a roguelite. The challenge level is appropriate, and the atmosphere is great. I feel like they could have done more with this, though. It doesn't really have all that much content once you finish the game, making it a lite roguelite at best. Expanding on this could have made it closer to or at the top of the list, easily.

5. Ghost of Tsushima Director's Cut - I'm glad I waited until I managed to snag a PS5 to play the definitive version of this. It's a game that looks and feels absolutely gorgeous, even if it is a bit repetitive. Think of it as the refined, much simpler to the core version of The Witcher 3, but set in feudal Japan.

4. Monster Hunter Rise - Nothing tops XX era Monster Hunter for me, but this one at least had the gameplay chops to keep me busy for a bit. If only there were about 33% more large monsters and a couple more zones in the game, it could have potentially been the GOAT. I think the shortcoming here is that Capcom was pressured into giving the unfinished game a premature release, with the transparent plan that they amend the actual endgame with [fake] DLC. The DLC didn't take long to get added, but that stifled any hopes of new monsters being added as ACTUAL DLC at a later date. This fooled most of the casual player base, but the hardcore MH fan didn't fall for it. Also worthwhile to note that the first of the two-game MH cycle that repeats itself is inherently never as good as the 2nd.

3. Shin Megami Tensei V - The hardcore classic demon summoning RPG series never disappoints. This time around, I thought the game was a bit easier than usual, but still fun and challenging overall. The aesthetic is top notch in its simplicity, even if there are frame-rate issues due to being on the lower-powered Switch. There really isn't much to say here; if you like SMT or hard J-RPGs, you should like this. If you think Persona 5 is challenging, you might struggle.

2. Final Fantasy XIV (Endwalker) - Having not played FFXIV since ARR, I spent a chunk of summer this year playing catchup on old content. There are so many things that make this game unique; the story and production level of the raid encounters are unparalleled by any other MMO. The game as a whole is hard for me to even call an MMO, as it feels more like a single player game that happens to be online and is played with other people. Most of the content in it doesn't take nearly as much investment as content in other MMOs, and it feels like the other players in the game have less of an impact on your experience, due to lack of PVP, the instanced gathering nodes, etc. This is both a good thing and a bad thing; I don't care to spend all my free time trying to squeeze every bit of content out of an MMO, but I also feel that the MMO experience is cheapened a little with how streamlined the content is, the lack of true exploration in individual zones/dungeons, and lack of unique gear choices.

1. Metroid Dread - 2D Metroid done well, nuff said. If you can't at least SEE the merits in it, you probably are the type of gamer I hate, on some level.

HMs:

Beat Saber - Still the only hardcore rhythm game (even though it really isn't; it's more of an action game set to music) I play since retiring from Bemani. Mappers have been finding innovative ways to expand the mapping meta for custom songs, and it is really good exercise. This year I reached the level of being able to play songs at the 10 star+ difficulty range (if you know what this means, you know, if you don't, it's complicated to explain), and I am still mostly as invested as I was when I first started playing.

Dorfromantik - This is like a solitaire building game where you try to place objects and landforms complementary to each other for as long as you can. It's a good relaxing game when you just want to chill.

I usually put a Kaizo Mario ROM hack on my list, bring heavily invested in that scene. This year had way too many innovative hacks. Here are 3 that redefine SMW and Super Nintendo ROM hacking as a whole:

Things.SMC - A massive, 80 exit hack with so much custom ASM and unique ideas, as well as 5 different endings with their own custom last boss fights.
Super Sonic Saves the World - A Mario ROM hack made by the creator of Celeste. Yes, for real. About as difficult all the way through as most of the stuff you'd find in harder Celeste stages.
Luminescent - Probably the most newcomer friendly on this list; still challenging, but short enough that someone could reasonably pick it as a first kaizo hack (still prob much better choices out there that are easier) and make it through, whereas the other two, not so much.

BabyRyoga fucked around with this message at 03:33 on Dec 17, 2021

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~
The first points for the Official Game of the Year as Voted by Geoff Keighley It Takes Two :toot:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

Oh also, I would definitely just combine all MMO expacs as just the one game, or at least for FF14, specifically because it would be weird to split any votes for FF14. It's all single continuous story and experience, unlike other MMOs' expansions, and the main campaign requires players to go through all of them in sequence.

In my opinion any time FF14 shows up multiple times in a list, just the best rank should just be counted as one vote.

E: Fill disclosure, I'm suggesting this because I've been drumming up support for FF14.

Runa fucked around with this message at 23:30 on Dec 16, 2021