Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Chairchucker
Nov 14, 2006

to ride eternal, shiny and chrome

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022

6. Jackbox Party Packs

I got these for pretty cheap and they allowed me and friends to play games of varying quality together during a lockdown so what the heck, they get a place on the list.

5. Wizardry 8

I double checked to make sure I'd played this one this year, and was delighted to find out I had so I can give a nod to probs my favourite game of all time that I first played about 20 years ago and that I am still not sick of despite having a total of 389 hours listed on Steam, which doesn't take into account the high likelihood that I have many an offline hour, plus played it off Steam years ago.

4. Little Big Adventure & Little Big Adventure 2

I'm including these as one game because what the hell, no one else is gonna vote for them anyway. Decided to replay these when I heard the best and most exciting gaming news of the year which is that LBA3 is being made. Please to report that these still hold up, and also that playing them quickly one after the other pointed out to me that there had been a number of improvements made between 1 and 2, which made me semi confident that the devs are not wedded to 20 year old design decisions. I think I maybe prefer the first one because there is just slightly more nostalgia to it for me, but they're both pretty great.

3. Guardians of the Galaxy

The combat was kind of OK but the plot was absurdly satisfying to follow, and the exploration side of things was pretty fun too. If it gets a sequel I will play it just so I can find out what happens to our heroes next.

2. Pathfinder: Wrath of the Righteous

I played 277 hours of this, including probably 10 hours or so within the first day of owning it, so you'd think I'd have this higher, but even though I really have enjoyed it, I spent a lot of time restarting because one of the bugs screwed me over. So many bugs, and there's still heaps and every time they patch it they introduce some new ones. Also, I eventually disabled the crusade mode entirely because it's just terrible. Still tho, 277 hours. EDIT: Since I posted this list initially that number has topped 300 hours and I am just liking it more and more so it's number 2 now but I refuse to give it the number one spot because there are some annoying design decisions.

1. Monster Train

Last year this was my runner up for game of the year after Hades, but whereas I've kinda finished with Hades, I've gone ahead and purchased this again on the Switch, played it several hours there, and also gotten my hours on PC up so that it has now toppled Wizardry 8 from the throne of my most played game. I'm not done, either, because it is just so fun putting together a bonkers unbalanced run and wrecking everyone. (Or dying over and over again, but runs only last like 30 minutes tops so who cares.)

Chairchucker fucked around with this message at 01:43 on Dec 30, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chairchucker
Nov 14, 2006

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022

Put them in alphabetical order instead

Chairchucker
Nov 14, 2006

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022

Lid posted:

All media this year has been terrible. The music "best of lists" have no uniformity as there were literally nothing approaching a classic or instant great, whereas last year there were several. The best of movies list is debatably even worse as the current favourite for best movie of the year was a netflix movie that only dropped three weeks ago and its still relatively obscure. It's like 2020 was the pandemic year, the worst year ever, but there was pent up art to be made in it. 2021 was "society has fallen and we have nothing ready to release as we struggle to get back to work".

That's an interesting take. Personally, if there was uniformity, I would take that as a a sign that it was a bland year with only one or two worthwhile games, and a big mix like we have this year is an indication that there's a lot of decent games being made.

Chairchucker
Nov 14, 2006

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022

Is Michel in it

Chairchucker
Nov 14, 2006

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022

Metis of the Hallways posted:

I played it in January this year which was, of course, a full decade ago so I can't really remember. I don't thiiiink so? Maybe as a cameo but not a playable character.

Well that's a drat shame as he is the best

Chairchucker
Nov 14, 2006

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022

I think I have to change my list and promote Wrath of the Righteous tbh

will consider further tomorrow

Chairchucker
Nov 14, 2006

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022

I edited this to significantly promote Pathfinder: Wrath of the Righteous

Chairchucker
Nov 14, 2006

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022

KidDynamite posted:

3. Doki Doki Literature Club
cw: suicide
I played this a week before my cousin committed suicide. The words the MC says after Sayori's suicide helped me immensely at that time. It's something along the lines of you can't dwell on what you could have done because you can never know what someone else is thinking or control their actions and all you can do is remember the good times. They really helped me as I went through lots of feelings questioning myself and what I could have done, and looked back on our conversations. It's not often that a game actually gives me some insight on life, but I greatly appreciated this one having it for me.

bit rude making me cry while browsing the GOTY thread imo

Chairchucker
Nov 14, 2006

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022

I'm pretty confident I have played exactly one game in the top ten and that game is Psychonauts 2 and I haven't played much which is why it's not on my list but it seemed good.

Chairchucker
Nov 14, 2006

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022

I like how they made an entire band and album for Guardians of the Galaxy so that's my fave game music

Chairchucker
Nov 14, 2006

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022

Play posted:

MCU (or is it the other one? I don't care) game

Marvel but not MCU

Chairchucker
Nov 14, 2006

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022

Party Boat posted:

The most magical day of the year, when Rarity and VideoGames fly all around the world delivering GOTY write-ups to all the good posters in Games

there are no good posters in games

edit: no gamers either

Chairchucker
Nov 14, 2006

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022

Most of my games won't be in the list I think

Chairchucker
Nov 14, 2006

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022

Wait, there's no way Wrath of The Righteous and Monster Train are both going to beat GotG, are they?

Chairchucker
Nov 14, 2006

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022

I will forever maintain until people get sick of me saying it, and beyond, that there are only two good FF games, and they are Freedom Force and Freedom Force vs the Third Reich

Chairchucker
Nov 14, 2006

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022

Regy Rusty posted:

They're not on the other list so certainly they did!

I'm excited about 3 of my games being in the top 75!

Chairchucker
Nov 14, 2006

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022

Congrats to NEverhood for being nicest game, never heard of it

Chairchucker
Nov 14, 2006

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022

I'm saving mine for the game I like the most

(Monster Train)

Adbot