Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Dissapointments

Disco Elysium: This game was a wonderful proof of concept for what I've been saying since the release of Planescape Torment, certain games just shouldn't have combat. The problem, for me, is the game was pitched as being insanely reactive but is fairly linear in how actual progression is done and had absolutely no idea what to do with me. I beat the game earning 0 achievements, and I got offered maybe a handful of thought cabinets throughout the entire game, and there were multiple thought cabinet thoughts that I then I had to waste a level deleting them because they were actively detrimental to what I wanted to be doing so I just stopped using the system entirely. The overall narrative is also a rushed mess, and the ending sequence, the one place where it should and could narratively adjust itself based on your choices, is completely fixed and suffers horribly from it. I would play someone's knock off of this in a hearbeat, looking at you Obsidian, and it gave me my new favorite Voice Actor who I hope goes on to a long and illustrious career. It is not on Game Pass

Hades: This is my fault, I hate roguelikes. People were like "hey its the least roguelike ever, its so good" and yeah, its probably the one that most caters to me I've tried. Its still something I don't enjoy, so lesson learned. It is on Game Pass

Ooops! 2: None of you have heard of this game or the movie its based on. I bought it because it is a flagrant Overcooked 2 clone. This is the single worst game I played this year because unlike Overcooked where you hold the button to cook, here you furiously mash it. For every. single. part. of. cooking. Unplayable on a fundamental level. It is not on Game Pass

Top 5

1 - Sable: Someone took Breath of the Wild and cut out all of its bad parts. Well maybe not the framerate, but the rest of the junk. This is an absolute treasure of a game and I could probably talk for days about various aspects of and how they all naturally build to the games central conceit . This is game story telling, something that can only be done in the medium and never bogs you down with dialog or cutscenes. It gives you the sandbox and the narrative guiderails to tell a story that expresses yourself with nothing in the game mechanically interfering with that. Soundtrack is great too. It is on Game Pass
2 - Pyschonauts 2: A charming, smaller scope platformer with an admittedly messy ending moral fumbling supplemented by some excellent levels back to back about some tricky subjects that are handled with care and love. The game is sumptuous to look at making the most of its dreamscapes, the humor is consistent throughout, and if it could have come out like, 15 years ago, we'd have probably been sick to death of the franchise by now but instead it feels like a swan song before another very long hibernation for another title. It is on Game Pass
3 - Halo Infinite: The best multiplayer shooter in years also comes with a pretty good single player mode. Single player has lots of rough edges and corners, but the fundamentals are there you can feel it in everything you do. The only open world FPS where I have not dreaded clearing out bases and found them sufficiently fun to puzzle out and deal with. It must be mentioned this is without a doubt the finest Combat Barks in a game since FEAR in 2005. It is on Game Pass
4 - Labrynth of Yomi: Is it the best DRPG I've ever played? No, not it is not. Is it a neat, well paced, relatively easy, with simple yet decently engaging combat gimmick that is absolutely chock full bursting QoL tweaks and multiple well designed interlocking systems? Yes, yes it is. Be warned, its grim, grimy, and gross in a schlock horror way not in "I do not understand how human beings work" like similarly titled but unrelated DRPG Labryinth of Refrain. It is not on Game Pass
5 - Quake Remaster : Quake is really, really good and this is the finest remaster I've ever played because despite having played Quake like, 8 months prior to this I couldn't tell that the models and graphics were new they fit in so perfectly while still looking better like your nostalgia makes games look. You can also find posts on this very website that I didn't even realize the restored opening sequence to a level was new because it fit that seamlessly. It is on Game Pass
6-Lacuna: A short adventure game that does not overstay its welcome, has solid writing, and most importantly has what feels like actual detective work without become weird esoteric puzzles. Its a joy to play and while the narrative is on rails you feel like you've moved it around appropriately based on your choices. The sheet system should be ripped off for all future detective games. All in all, what I was expecting from Disco Elysium but it failed to deliver. It is not on Game Pass

Honorable Mentions in No Order

The Ruined King - A solid RPG that makes League of Legends lore more "real" and fun. Had some missing QoL at launch that keeps it from greatness in my mind, especially with the loss of features from the studios previous outing, Battle Chasers, which was effectively the prequel to this game cause hoo-boy are assets reused. It is not on Game Pass
Dusk - Its a good, solid, throwback FPS but the weapon roster/enemy roster/level layout just didn't do it for me the way Quake does. Still, wonderful game, probably would be my sixth rank. It is not on Game Pass
Dragon Quest Builders 2 - Have you ever wished a building game had way more narrative structure to it so you weren't just aimlessly lost but still had plenty of time to construct whatever stuff your heart desired? Here you go. A bit too much talking and drags by the end for me, but really, quite charming. It is (was?) on Game Pass
Tales of Arise - They gave Tales a good combat system and tons of quality of life features, then forgot to make the late game enemies part of that combat system or how to make a satisfying story and characters through to the end. It is not on Game Pass
Flight Simulator - Never in a million years would I buy this, but its fun to pick a place and fly there. Does an oddjob with Tokyo (uh, thats not a river surrounding the imperial gardens) but most places its so convincing and realistic you can get lost looking for specific local buildings and landmarks or enjoy things like the sunrise over a mountain. China is, as expected, awful looking. It is on Game Pass

Barudak fucked around with this message at 01:47 on Dec 23, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Rarity posted:

The only game I played this year was with your heart :heysexy:

The backstreet boys warned me about you

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Deedlit in Wonder Labyrinth is the first game in ages I had tk change the control scheme. The bottom button is never attack instead of jump and I will never accept that. Game instantly became several grades better when I swapped that.

Its also a surprisingly easy game, so far, unlike other Ladybug joints I've played and "suffers" from the Claimh Solais issue in Castlevania Aria of Sorrow where even if that weapon weren't absurdly overpowered, its attack arc makes it infinitely more useful than other stronger options

Barudak
May 7, 2007

I don't usually ever care that much for the winner of this thread but I dont call it a weak year for that, my tastes and this thread don't usually align that closely. That said, Endwalker was one of the most anticipated releases of the year and has delivered on expectations so I'm not gonna be mad a game which has cultivated a loyal fanbase had its sequel be everything they wanted. Especially not in a thread about celebrating your favorite games of the year without judgement.

and also play Sable

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Escobarbarian posted:

The few of you posting your lists in ascending order are freaks haven’t you ever heard of SUSPENSE

Everybody skips to #1, the order you put them in is irrelevant

Barudak
May 7, 2007

cheetah7071 posted:

I read them in order

One good person still lives

Barudak
May 7, 2007

As long as you let me vote you'll never have a concensus #1. Not even if we traveled in time to the Tony Hawk years.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Rarity posted:

If only there was a thread where people could talk about them :thunkher:

Planning to put up the Game of the Year '22 thread early, are we?

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Well I guess Im buying Lacuna now after staring at it today

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Im assuming we're allowed to update our list before the deadline, and by assume I mean I already did

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Jerusalem posted:

Looks like you're good since you posted about it in thread.

P.S any edits made to my own list were because I was fixing typos, which I am terrible about picking up on before hitting the Submit Reply button.

Everytime I re-read it I find new typos and I've decided to make peace with my mistakes instead of racking up an edit count into the triple digits

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Nice post 7th Guest, looking forward to part 2

Unless its Fantasian Part 2 style

Barudak
May 7, 2007

For those interested in Forgotten City its on Game Pass.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

I cannot imagine a more frustrating game to play than Gilmore Girls Emblem, if only because theres no possible class combo to fix Rory and all her potential matches are in way better spin off titles

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Pokemon Card Game 2 is good, and I would smother Pokemon Snap in its crib if I got a third single player pokemon card game.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Rarity channeling their best Geese Howard

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Rarity posted:

I have no idea who this is

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=aLekt6fGous

Barudak
May 7, 2007

ITS BOLD

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Shoutouts to Chadzok having an identical experience with Dusk and Quake as me this year

ShakeZula posted:

Man, I guess I really am going to have to pick up The Forgotten City, huh?

Game Pass giveth

Barudak
May 7, 2007

ShakeZula posted:

Alas, I am a Playstation-only gamer and thus cannot avail myself of Game Pass

Game's on sale for $20 on PSN right now though, and that seems reasonable given how much praise it's gotten around here

Im not suggesting you do this, per se, but its available via cloud streaming on gamepass as well, so even if your PC is lacking and you own no Xbox, its still an option and you'd be out like $1 to see if it works for you.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Skjorte posted:

Order of Ecclesia is real good, but it's for the DS! I'm assuming you meant Aria of Sorrow. Although I haven't bought the GBA collection yet, I'm pretty sure it would make my top 5 in just about any year just on the strength of Aria.

Its real good, you should get it! The only real issue with it is it doesn't have an "fix the Luck Stat" option for Aria of Sorrow but thats a QoL thing at this juncture.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Dusk came out the same year as Hunt Down the Freeman, a game I don't think any of you remembered or knew about until I typed this post, so its competition was not particularly fierce in the single-player non-RPG FPS category that year.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Runa posted:

Oh god I realize now that I have so much to say about FF14 that the full version might not be really appropriate for a goty ranking thread

Ibblebibble posted:

Do it so that the rest of us in the 14 camp don't have to.

If you don't do it, I will post all the things I don't like about FF14 2.0, so unless you want an insanely bad post in this very good thread you're gonna post your reasons for liking 14.

Barudak fucked around with this message at 14:59 on Dec 30, 2021

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Ibblebibble posted:

I already did on page 3, I was being rhetorical :v:

Sorry I was talking to Runa, following up on your comment of encouragement, updating my post to help clarify

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Ibblebibble posted:

TBH I don't think many of the current players in 6.0 would want to go back to 2.0 in terms of game mechanics and fight design etc. Unless you meant 2.0 in a more general sense rather than the literal patch 2.0.

I was grandfathered in and in the transition credits from 1->2 and then immediately lost interest because 2.0 was just not my thing at all but, obviously, was the correct move

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Thief 4's only game of the year ever given in this thread, a new years miracle

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Thank you, Runa!

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Note if you want to play Agents of Mayhem, you can no longer get all the achievements as the servers were shut down and global assignments no longer track/exist

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Real hurthling! posted:

All i want is the goon taste affinity chart

Officially: Goons love final fantasy xiv
The secret truth: Goons love love final fantasy xiv

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Deedlit in Wonderlanyrinth is good stuff, team ladybug makes bangers

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Fine, I will tell you all everytime a new Team Ladybug game comes out because they're all these bitesized slices of good.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Barudak
May 7, 2007

All of your choices were good and well considered and if your choice wasn't there it will with time be reappraised better.