Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

I have beaten 73 games this year and flushed playthroughs of many more so getting down to only 10 is pretty painful.

To help narrow it down i'm restricting to just 2021 releases.

Honorable mention Games i loved that missed the list:

Cybershadow: supremely tight ninja gaiden revival. Better than its inspiration and only slightly less bullshit!

Disco Elysium Final Cut: gave this a number 1 vote last year. Played it again for the expansion. Still great.

Raiden IV x mikado remix: classic shmup with all new incredible ost from the legendary mikado arcade.

Diablo 2 resurrected: my fav game ever but still full of bullshit qol issues they could fix.

Forgotten city: in a year of time loop games this is the only one that did it right.

Loop hero: very cool concept for bringing depth and decision making to an idle game

Toem: in a year of super cute indie games this one is still worth a play. Feels like a wheres waldo book you explore with a camera.

Shadow tactics blade of the shogun aiko's choice: great stand alone dlc for an incredible game. Being stand alone it needs to retutorialize the player and its over after only a few maps that reach the complexity the game is capable of.

Resident evil 8: another classic. Capcom is on a roll. I just cant give it a spot on my list cause its a little uneven in the back half.

top ten

10. Returnal
Great action, tough build choices, and very tense moments are part of every run of this roguelike experience. Never had such a rush of adrenaline all year compared with this game.

9. Monster hunter rise
Monhun continues to get better and better with less bullshit. Only downsides are i feel bad for the monsters now with each player's dog along to help gang assault them and also the rampage mode bores me.

8. Chicory
Lot of 2d zelda clones this year wanted this spot but chicory claims it for having an engaging set of non combat mechanics at its foundation for both practical traversal and frivolous self expression. Too many games blew their chances to get ranked this year with boring repetitive combat dragging out the levels (psychonauts 2 i'm looking at you) but chicory lets you chill and just paint every screen of the game however you like and saves what approaches its take on combat for the boss moments.

7. Earth defense force: world brothers
A nice breath of fresh air for the series. Great new character switching mechanics make solo play much less tedious while allowing multiplayer to be less frustrating cause scrubs can res their own characters themselves much of the time. The bright new voxel graphics, sense of humor, and bumping music were also a great fit for the series thats been stagnant in the 50s b movie aesthetic for too long.

6. Ys 9: monstrum nox
A b-tier jrpg take on the open world superhero sandbox genre that just works. I love ys games for their speed and flow of combat and exploration. 9 adds traversal super powers that allow the dungeon levels to be more vertical and complex than ever before.

5. Nier replicant
The new ending content is worth replaying the game 3.5 times. Its a glorious and beautiful moment that all nier fans must see. The new campaign chapter is excellent as well and develops in cool new ways with each playthrough.

4. Everhood
Indie rhythm game with an incredible style and great music. The narrative is very cool too.

3. Bowsers fury
They did it. They made open world mario and only slightly hosed it up with amibo poo poo.

2. Inscryption
Incredibly cool genre shifting card game. The less I say the better. Its special.

1. guilty gear strive
They threw decades of guilty gear gameplay conventions out the window and rebooted the series with a simplified new vision and incredible graphics and music. The choice to do mostly vocal tracks and the inclusion of female vocalists for the lady character theme songs is so good too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Anyone else love everhood this year?

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Hellyeah

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z0vPXkNgr-I

Little tutorial if youre struggling with a list

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Smtv thought it could get on my list and still sneak that bullshit wind puzzle stretch of the tower in there and it was wrong with prejudice

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Stux posted:

it shouldve been more difficult, and twice as long.

And metroid should have had literally no options menu at all

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Anybody else love judgment but not care too much for lost judgment?

The side stuff is good but the main story was like the lamest they've ever done idk.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Ai somnium files is a dang goat

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

All i want is the goon taste affinity chart

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Barudak posted:

Officially: Goons love final fantasy xiv
The secret truth: Goons love love final fantasy xiv

But who will be my (edf world) brother?

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Anybody got some good category goty's to tide us over until the results?

What were the best action games, slow paced games, stories, etc?

For me, World of horror is the best RL i played this year

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

cheetah7071 posted:

Blue Reflection 2 is the best slow paced character game this year

Oooo

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Chicory owns

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Jay Rust posted:

Post your favourite 2021 game music!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ofj5flVbK2M

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iZWKOFtymPw

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DnultnDAOVY

^^^
Woah cool
Toem does indeed kick rear end

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Switch is a good choice when nintendo makes a dang banger and isnt jerking me around with mario spinoff titles that are worse than the ones from n64 and gamecube.
So like 2% of the time yeah it fuckin owns

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Order reigns: ff17 will be an mmorpg
Chaos reign: ff7 remake 2 will be an mmorpg

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Dang this deedlit would have made my list.
gently caress metroid vs this
It ownz

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Deedlit is incredible omg

I think it wasnt embraced widely because 1. The long and unusual title and 2. Its sotn-level easy and the bosses can mostly be damage raced with spammed magic so the hard core genre guys probably looked down on it vs ender lillies and its ball crushing bosses last year.

But the exploration and gameplay and central gimmicks are cool as gently caress. Having a ding dang good time.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Give me the results or give me kirby fanart

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Wow thanks for the list of worthless games that cant even get ranked....oh wait huge mistake sighted: all my games were accidentally on there

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Rarity posted:

43. AI: THE SOMNIUM FILES
(Spike Chunsoft)
51 points, listed 7 times

Congrats to AI for charting for a third straight year. I also wanted to take this moment to highlight one quote in particular:

This is the true power of video games, they bring us together. Thank you for sharing your story, Walla.

Guys its cool you can just use my lists from 3 years ago to fill in your lists from now on if you want. Im a real cultural vanguard around here.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Regy Rusty posted:

I really do hope they do a full Bowser's Fury style game sometime

For pc :getin:

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

fridge corn posted:

drat imagine if Prey had finished above Deathloop?

It would be correct

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Rarity posted:

Where was this kind of support when we revealed #69?

Right?!

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Escobarbarian posted:

Outer Wilds is one of the best games ever and EotE would be one of the best DLC bits ever were it not for the insanely horrible darkness/stealth bits!!!!!!!

Yeah i heard its got like amnesia style gameplay and it made me not buy it

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Wheres my taste-in-games map of thread participants?!?

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Microcline posted:

Can the thread be kept open a little longer? I'm working on some cool data similar to last year and I'd like to have time to post it (I should have it in a few hours)

This is my craving

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Tell me whos lists are most similar

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Its stupid as gently caress that cybershadow was unranked considering how many of you love to get good...or was that all talk? Sad.