Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

victrix
Oct 30, 2007

GOTY Nominees

1. Returnal

This is a masterpiece of game design, built by masters of their craft. If you are fortunate enough to have a big-rear end A/V system, you are in for a treat, because this game is an audiovisual bomb, even the controller haptics blend seamlessly into the overall kinesthetic experience. Returnal is for the third person action game what Sekiro was to the Souls genre for me.

2. Final Fantasy XIV: Endwalker

If you care about Final Fantasy games at all, or jrpgs, or rpgs, you should play this game, start to finish. The combat is dated, the questing is bland, MMOs are a moribund genre, and yet in spite of all that, this game is just an incredible experience. The world they've built, the stories they tell, and the places you explore are all wonderful. The developers love the series, they love their fans, and the fans love the devs. Join one of the Goon guilds.

Honorable mentions:

Caves of Qud

I'm waiting for the 1.0 release and the finale of the story to vote this as a GOTY nominee, but it'll be a shoo-in when that happens.

I'm increasingly thinking Qud may be one of the most important games of the last decade or two, but it'd be a much longer post to flesh that thought out.

Metroid Dread

This is an amazingly well built game, and a great experience. However, you've seen and played this before, and I think the game and maybe even the genre has been pushed about as far as it can go between games like this Hollow Knight, Axiom Verge 2, Blasphemy, etc. I'd love to see what they can do with Metroid in 3d.

Destiny 2

The storytelling and design teams have finally hit their stride, and they're doing some great stuff. Unfortunately, this stuff is mostly only great if you've been following the game since D1Y1.

That aside, the sandbox is in a remarkably great place, and the future for Witch Queen is extremely bright, it may be Taken King levels of quality and hype.

PvP is in a dire place, the bleeding of the team to prop up their new IP teams really, really, really hurt the momentum of content development, so there have been no new maps or modes in literally years, despite having a great pvp sandbox to play with.

A study in contrasts.

Jupiter Hell

A strong, clean traditional roguelike. If you've been scared away from the genre by obtuse or inaccessible games, give this a try. Doom with the serial numbers filed off, easy to get into, easy to play. Controls great with a gamepad!

The Ascent

Just ok from a pure gameplay standpoint (fun coop!), but holy poo poo the visuals and atmosphere. If you dig hard on cyberpunk aesthetic, play this.

Biomass

This is not going to appeal to most people, and that's ok. One man tiny 2d indie game with a really, really weird and cool aesthetic. A bit like BLAME or Biomega, maybe Akira if you're familiar with those animus, or think just weird rear end biocyber exploratory sci fi.

Mentions

New World

Best MMO, possibly of all time. Never actually played it, mind. But it's provided me more entertainment than some games I've paid for.

Outriders

Notable for a bunch of silly reasons. The most obvious being the catastrophically hilariously bad bugs and patches post launch. Also notable for the fans of this genre having really bizarre and unrealistic expectations for games that can be played Forever. The combination produced a flash in the pan zeitgeist of arpg/looter shooter angst that was hilarious to watch. Oh the game? It was fun to coop, and the story flirted with some interesting ideas.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

victrix
Oct 30, 2007

Rarity posted:

Remember friends, your list must include at least 5 games to be eligible :siren:

I'm afraid there were only 2 GOTY candidates this year :v:

I'm ok not being counted

Also your avatar rules

victrix
Oct 30, 2007

It has a really super fascinating story and setting, but unfortunately accessing said story is obtuse bullshit

Play the game for the insane atmosphere and look up the story later (do not go look it up now you spoiler freaks, if you have the slightest interest in playing through it'll taint the entire experience)

You can infer broad strokes and big picture concepts on your first playthrough, the finer details are tougher to excavate