Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ultrachrist
Sep 27, 2008
I played a lot of decent games this year but barely any that really captured me. The only one that I can say absolutely surprised me was:

1. Returnal

Returnal's sound design is on another level compared to the rest of video gamedom. It's fun to play, the guns and movement are good, it looks great. The story is intriguing and then (mild spoiler) completely fails to stick the landing but that's OK. Selene is a good character. People rave about Hades, and I enjoyed that like all of Supergiant's other games, but imo Returnal is far and away the best of roguelikes.

A couple of others that hit me at just the right time:

2. Art of Rally

I had to take an extended, month-long trip in August to visit family and mostly stayed with inlaws. I randomly downloaded Art of Rally from gamepass on my laptop and it was the perfect chill-but-still-requiring-attention game. It's solely responsible for a newfound interest in rally games, though none quite hit the same note as AoR.

3. Desperados III

Also randomly saw this on gamepass... looked at the screenshots and thought: that looks like Shadow Tactics! And it was-- Shadow Tactics transported to the West. I love this style of game. Weird that something that requires you to constantly save and reload is so satisfying. It was the game that taught me how to half-listen on work meetings while playing video games.

Lastly, (edit: ADDING numbering), but 2021 also proved that (5)Mass Effect 1, (4) Mass Effect 2, and Diablo 2 are still excellent games, even when no longer new. ME3 is still bad, but was interesting to revisit dispassionately. I wonder if anyone will ever make a game in either genre as good as those ever again.

ultrachrist fucked around with this message at 22:26 on Dec 15, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ultrachrist
Sep 27, 2008
2022 will have to be the year I push through to the good FF expansions. Due to SB hype I started the game a couple years back and found the base game pretty but kind of generic and I got bogged down in the post ARR travel back-and-forth questhell. I hear they’ve cut some of that back. If not for the monthly fee, I’d pick away at it here and there but if I’m paying for it, I feel like it should be my primary game.

I’m more open to couch MMO’ing now so I think I’ll try on PS5 this time. That means they need to start selling the game again first.