Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kerrzhe
Nov 5, 2008

This year more than many I have spent wallowing in a swamp of apathy, so forgive me if my thoughts on some of these games are a bit brief. Some of them I only played at the very beginning of the year and didn't pick up again, so it's hard to remember them.

But let's get into it (edited because i'm dumb)

10. New Pokemon Snap

Ah the return of a classic. Gave me much of what I was hoping for in a reboot, and a nice sense of completion to wrap it all up without the game feeling too short.

9. No Man's Sky

Played through the revamped story mode and was pleasantly surprised. It's quite well written!

8. Kena: Bridge of Spirits

This game really scratched the Zelda itch that I have been feeling for a very long time. Very cute little creatures and a beautiful world to explore. So many hats.

7. Valheim

A gorgeous, dangerous world to explore and survive in. Really cool viking lore set up and the art style is unique as well as beautiful. Very fun survival game, can't wait for more content updates.

6. Path of Exile

The game I will forever whale for, this year's leagues were quite fun and in the most recent one I got further than I ever had before. Still haven't gotten to Sirus though :v:

5. Monster Hunter Rise

It's friggin' Monster Hunter. It's good, though fell short of my expectations after World and Iceborne. The dogs are good though.

4. Guilty Gear Strive

My first ever fighting game, I picked this one up because tons of people said it was one of the easiest to get into for beginners, and they weren't wrong! Unfortunately PvP games like this always give me tons of anxiety but this is a gorgeous, silly game that I can heartily recommend. gently caress May though.

3. Psychonauts 2

This game was a delight, an excellent sequel to the first one, still just as funny and touching. Some great level design and music, wonderful characters, and a good story.

2. Monster Hunter Stories 2

An all-around excellent game. A better Pokemon than Pokemon. Engaging combat, tons of content, a great story, and adorable baby monsters. Look at the little Deviljho! Look at the murder in his widdle eyes! :kimchi:

1. FFXIV: Endwalker

Yeah this wasn't even a contest. FFXIV has overtaken Okami as my new favorite game of all time. This game has brought me so much joy, and this latest expansion gave me everything I wanted. It is the awe-inspiring finale to an 8 year story and it is an absolute goddamn masterpiece. It is perfect.

Kerrzhe fucked around with this message at 03:16 on Dec 16, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kerrzhe
Nov 5, 2008

i'm a couple pages late but did yall know that FFXIV has an entire dungeon full of Einhander references

Kerrzhe
Nov 5, 2008

here is a spoiler free cover of my favorite track in ffxiv endwalker

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Loe9TsesZWE

Kerrzhe
Nov 5, 2008

i have been playing the newest melee class, Reaper, which is extremely edgy and cool, and also very fun to play. it has a crazy apeshitt burst phase that has awesome sfx and visuals and feels very cool to do. plus it has a nifty movement ability and an awesome heal-the-party move that requires good timing and fight knowledge to really maximize. i enjoy it a lot. it combines big dick damage numbers with a bit of party support and that makes me happy!

i can spend my evenings either farming gatherer materia, i can spam out crafted items, or just hop into party finder and farm the two EX boss fights, both of which are fun and only take about ten minutes per run.

the only thing i am NOT happy about is i have seen 3 mount drops today and i couldn't roll above a loving 50!!!!!

Kerrzhe
Nov 5, 2008

purple or white

Kerrzhe
Nov 5, 2008

i slept late and i must say im disappointed Monster Hunter Stories 2 did not make top 75 but i am excited to see where this list ends up

Kerrzhe
Nov 5, 2008

i don't actually remember my list

or much of 2021 in general tbh

Kerrzhe
Nov 5, 2008

did anyone put Necromunda: Hired Gun on their list

Kerrzhe
Nov 5, 2008

bout to go to lunch but just wanted to share this message with all yall

Kerrzhe
Nov 5, 2008

man gently caress that stupid ghost ninja priest guy

Kerrzhe
Nov 5, 2008

hey nice job guilty gear, that's the only fighting game ive ever played :)

Kerrzhe
Nov 5, 2008

i'm already prepared for the post i'm gonna make once #1 is posted

Kerrzhe
Nov 5, 2008

monster hunter clip time

https://twitter.com/Kerrzhe/status/1389022426185428992?s=20

Kerrzhe
Nov 5, 2008

we're very particular about our loops, apparently

cheetah7071 posted:

oh yeah ffxiv is a time loop game too

:hmmyes:

Kerrzhe
Nov 5, 2008

Jerusalem posted:

For the first 2/3rds I assumed this monster was the MH equivalent of an Ortolan and you were hiding your face from God.

For the last 3rd, I can only assume that is the MH equivalent of God.

magnamalo (angry, purple) is a total bro. here he is earlier in the fight running distraction so i can carve up the tail.

https://twitter.com/Kerrzhe/status/1389021293412900864?s=20

Kerrzhe
Nov 5, 2008

maybe one day i'll go back and beat hades?

Kerrzhe
Nov 5, 2008

Relax Or DIE posted:

Looper of the year goes to: Looper

:haibrower:

Kerrzhe
Nov 5, 2008

i would prefer if hypnos didn't make fun of me every time i died :(

Kerrzhe
Nov 5, 2008

just listening to radz-at-han bass boosted version in antipation now

Rarity posted:

Disco was in 5th place until bop bop perano posted a list with 15 minutes left before deadline with Disco at #1

lol nicely done

Kerrzhe
Nov 5, 2008

i also have not played the disco

Kerrzhe
Nov 5, 2008

that's the one. loving the night theme too

Kerrzhe
Nov 5, 2008

ah gently caress this vid made me cry the first time i watched it

Kerrzhe
Nov 5, 2008

Kerrzhe posted:

ah gently caress this vid made me cry the first time i watched it

ah gently caress it did it again

ahhh poo poo

Kerrzhe
Nov 5, 2008

time to post the real secret to endwalker's success

this tiny crab

https://i.imgur.com/TbtGlEv.mp4

he's very happy for the game's success

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kerrzhe
Nov 5, 2008

here's my ending tally and score of everything i played in 2021 in chronological order:

necromunda and new world i don't think got a single point! wow!

and now i'm going to post some ffxiv raid strategy diagrams that look like shitposts because i can't think of a better way to show my gratitude to Rarity, VideoGames, and all the gamers out there. see you next year!