Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

TGLT
Aug 14, 2009
My time was mostly spent bouncing between FF14, Warframe, or one of a bunch of old fighting games because the era of rollback is finally upon us, so my list is short

Honorable Mentions
Eronoctosis - I think co-op horror is a neat mechanical concept and I'm always happy to see it explored more. I hope this evolves into a full game at some point, I think it'd be good.
Maiden & Spell - I only just picked this up but I've had a fair bit more fun with it than some other fighting games I played this year. It's the Touhou 1v1 I wanted Antinomy of Common Flowers to be.

6. DUSK

I'm extremely loving late to this game but it's good as hell. The old Doom formula that first got me into FPSes is still the one I enjoy the most. I don't know that I can say anything about DUSK that hasn't already been said, but Run is my favorite track.

5. Animal Crossing: New Horizons

Another game I'm late to, but hey gently caress it it's Animal Crossing. You're never really late to Animal Crossing. Basically every change in this entry was a welcome one. I don't know that I'll be playing it very much going into 2022, but this was still one of my favorite games to relax with. My only real complaints are that infrastructure placement is still unwieldy and that I still can't just pay a small fee to easily move bridges/inclines.

KK Bossa is still the best song in the series.

4. Final Fantasy 14: Endwalker

This is definitely the game I spent the most time with this year, picking it up around the start and making it through Shadowbringers about two months before Endwalker. I'm honestly surprised not just with the quality of the story, but how legitimately fun it is to play. The final boss of Endwalker was a real treat, even if healing for it was a pain in the rear end on my first run I still had a lot of fun. I'm used to really only enjoying the PvP side of MMOs, so finding PvE content a blast is a real surprise to me. It helps that you don't have to do a dozen stupid grinds to unlock raid content. It's pretty easy for a group of people to progress together.

I'm also just personally surprised that I've enjoyed FF14 as much as I have. I gave it a brief shot way back in the day and loving hated it then. I'm glad they've gone all in on stripping away the standard MMO side quest grind so I can just enjoy their good rear end story and boss fights. Also glad they added Triple Triad because it was the entire reason I gave it a second chance. I'd link my favorite track from the game, but it's a big spoiler for the final boss so instead here's Equilibrium from Heavensward which was probably my favorite before this.

3. Paradise Killer

Paradise Killer does that one thing really good mystery games do - it doesn't tell you if you're right. Literally or morally. Not every mystery game has to do that but I really appreciate one that does, especially one that incorporates that into its own ideas about the nature of law and justice. You aren't just solving the game's central mystery, you're crafting a narrative that you present in the game's final court scene. With the threat of death hanging over every single suspect - and they're all just a bit guilty - you're probably going to start concealing elements of the truth here and there. That final presentation was a fun exercise in carefully editing the facts to protect the people who I didn't think deserved to die while exposing the rest. Is that corrupt? Oh gently caress yes, but the society in Paradise Killer nakedly sucks. It's very telling that the only really innocent person can't be saved. So if some one has to die, why not the people you think are the worst? Right? Maybe. It's one of the few times I've been presented with a moral problem in a game and gone back and forth on my answer. I like that! I like the uncertainty.

Plus the game is extremely confident in its own aesthetic. The characters look great, the places are visually interesting, and the music is pretty good. Paradise (Stay Forever) was a great choice for the game's opening.

2. Disco Elysium

Finally played this when the final cut was released and that was definitely worth it. While I would have enjoyed the game without all the voice acting, it's hard to imagine Disco Elysium without it.

It's hard to write a character who is a total gently caress up like the main character and keep him sympathetic and compelling, without just papering over his sins. I appreciate that the game explores his failings without painting him as either a monster or a saint, and that it takes this view to every other idea it examines. The dichotomy between Evrart Claire and Joyce Messier is a really good example of that. Evrart is nakedly corrupt and slimy, but not totally unlikeable as a person and working towards a better future - even if it just out of personal ambition. Joyce is pretty charismatic and even compassionate in her way, but she also has no problem working with some of the worst people in the world to perpetuate a system of global exploitation. They're complex and imperfect individuals. The only real monsters in the story are the mercenaries, and even with them we learn enough to see how they ended up the way they are. And I guess that one dude in the cargo container is some kind of eldritch horror.

The game's full of charm, humanity, and a bittersweet sense of hope I can appreciate. Disco Inferno was a real loving good track in the run up to the finale.

1. Guilty Gear -Strive-

Fighting games are really good! GGX2 was the first fighting game I really played so I've always had a fondness for the series, and although the group I play with now coalesced around DBFZ last year Strive was also the first time in a while I felt a real desire to lab. It's a lot of fun to feel out a character yourself. Thanks to rollback my group could consistently play when we wanted instead of getting hosed by spotty connections. Playing against randos is fine, but I've always preferred just loving around with a group of friends. It's a lot more entertaining and I like showing off the stupid poo poo I've figured out to them. Plus I can go 0 and 10 against a friend or vice versa without any weird ego poo poo getting involved. It's the delightful purity of bashing your face into a wall without stupid assholes getting in the way.

The game itself also feels good to play. I've always preferred my fighting games with high damage and short combos so Strive clicked real well with me. Coming off of months of DBFZ, it was great to get back into a fighting game where my combos didn't feel totally rote. I love my stupid fan dance boy even if he used to wear a jockstrap on his head. I actually have pretty mixed opinions on most of the game's soundtrack, but Love the Subhuman Self is great.

TGLT fucked around with this message at 05:40 on Jan 1, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TGLT
Aug 14, 2009
There are just TOO many games if you ask me. They should make fewer of them so the rest of us can catch up.

TGLT
Aug 14, 2009
Shakespeare has tons of dick jokes. All stories are kind of stupid because they're written by people, who are just dumb as loving bricks. The delivery mechanism of the ideas doesn't matter too much.

TGLT
Aug 14, 2009

Rarity posted:

It will likely be finishing around my bedtime

seems like you could speed it up by just going to sleep faster then????

TGLT
Aug 14, 2009
hmm hmm hmm can't believe ff14 ate all the other games and they're scrambling to figure out how to list one game 10 times

TGLT
Aug 14, 2009
I'm just glad Paradise Killer got as close to the top 75 as it did.

TGLT
Aug 14, 2009
play more from software games, obvs. become a kuon hipster.

TGLT
Aug 14, 2009
hol up guys lemme post a picture of my new library, it's got all the books

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TGLT
Aug 14, 2009
professional tip: just buy gil