Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Help Im Alive
Nov 8, 2009

Samus must be devastated reading the thread right now

where is the dread?!!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Help Im Alive
Nov 8, 2009

10 - Lonely Mountains: Downhill

Extremely chill game where you cycle down mountain trails (slightly less chill when you're doing the harder time trials) I bought this because I saw it on someone elses list in the thread last year, it's good!

09 - Famicom Detective Club: The Girl Who Stands Behind

I don't know if the two Famicom Detective Club games can count as one but if not this was the one I liked better. They put kind of a bizarre amount of effort into redoing all the art/music etc while keeping the NES menu based gameplay exactly the same. It makes it awkward to progress sometimes but I love how faithful it is to the originals (which I have not played but I looked up some longplays and it's v cool to see what they were working with) I'm assuming they didn't sell well but I would like more please

08 - Hitman 3

It's more Hitman but I could play these forever tbh and I hope 47 visits the UK someday and personally murders me

I don't think any levels they release could ever hit me like Paris/Sapienza did my first time with those but this was probably the strongest set of maps overall, the first two games each had at least 1 I didn't like. I'm interested to see what IO do next with the series after their Bond game

please enjoy the screenshot I took when I was impressed at the raindrops dripping down 47's head

07 - Guilty Gear: Strive

Mankind knew that they cannot change society. So instead of reflecting on themselves, they blamed the beasts. (Heaven or Hell - Duel 1 - Let's Rock!)

I play a lot of fighting games but for whatever reason kept bouncing off Xrd when I tried to get into it - Strive though is probably the most accessible anime fighter I've played (even more than BB Tag which is also extremely good) I have not played in a few months but I've been wanting to dip back in to try the DLC characters.

06 - Shin Megami Tensei III: Nocturne

This also includes SMTV in spirit because I haven't finished that yet but would make my top 10 too probably. I had a week off work and ended up playing this for like 80 hours somehow and got the platinum

I do not have any particularly deep insights to share on the story except that i don't like isamu's hat - but i do like naoto shirogane's...makes you think

05 - Rain World

rain world is beautiful and everything about the atmosphere + exploration was exactly the right vibe for the low mood I was in when I picked it up

It's easy to bounce off it because the game barely explains anything and it's not really clear where you need to go (and some areas can be brutal) but it's rewarding if you stick with it

04 - Great Ace Attorney Chronicles

I can't believe it's been over 5 years since the last AA game - everyone else has p much already said everything I want to say but it felt so good to be playing one of these again.

also i'm always kind of sad about how short these games feel because I end up blazing through them in a couple days but good lord this one is like 50 hours long it's great

03 - Metroid: Dread

Samus is back and her game actually sold well!! I replayed almost every game in the series early in the year to celebrate the 35th anniversary assuming that Nintendo wasn't going to do anything for it so getting Dread out of nowhere at E3 ruled

It is basically everything I wanted in a 2D Metroid also I'm a little amazed at how hard they nailed the speedrunning side of it - I haven't attempted anything other than the basic 4 hours to get the gallery unlocks but the actual speedruns of the game are incredible to watch. I had kind of assumed there might be a thing where the Super Metroid/GBA runners would bounce off it and stick to what they're used to but everyone seems to love it

02 - Final Fantasy XIV: Endwalker

it good

01 - Gnosia

I'm happy to see this on so many other lists, it just absolutely rules. Mafia/werewolf against AI with their own personalities/quirks in a repeating time loop is such a cool idea - I played it a little while after Raging Loop which is a VN take on it but I like this more gamey approach better. I played it back in March and I've kept thinking about it all year

and like a couple other people said the cast is so good!! The artist posts stuff on twitter sometimes which is the closest we'll ever get to more gnosia

https://twitter.com/cotoriGlobule/status/1466702687962279938

also make sure you play the first scene of new game plus for some extra lore

Games I was hoping to play/buy but haven't gotten to yet
New Pokemon Snap
TWEWY Neo
NMH3
Kena
Returnal
Blue Reflection 2 (update: I am playing it right now)

Honourable mentions
Resident Evil 8 - This was #11!!
Lost Judgement - It would definitely be on my list but I haven't finished it yet
Melty Blood: Type Lumina - I always wanted to try melty blood after following a japanese arcade's youtube channel like 10 years ago which even today still regularly uploads footage of actress again and that game looks super fun so it was nice to finally play a game in the series for myself though (I'd like to try AA someday though because they probably overdid it with the auto combos in this one) I wish they had put in the trenchcoat guy
Dr Mario 64 - i put an unusual amount of time into this game when they put it on the switch online thing

Monster Train - I got the Switch version recently and it seems v good but I've only played two runs so far
Final Fantasy VIII - I replayed this and guess what: it's still extremely good
A Short Hike - what a nice game
Stellaris: Console Edition - I'd never really played 4x games but I got super into this one even though the console version is a few patches behind. I played as humans and then another game as plant people but the next time I see the expansions on sale the gnosia will conquer the galaxy
Neo Geo Pocket Colour Collection Vol. 1 - very cool I hope we get a vol 2

Sakuna - It owns but I got distracted by other stuff halfway through. Even though the combat is v good I would be down for a sequel that is just hardcore rice growing simulator 2022
Windjammers
Ys: Origin - I was going to check out more of the series after loving this but then I got distracted by my successful PS5 purchase and RE Village. Maybe in 2022?!!
Astro's Playroom
New Super Lucky's Tale
Sonic Colours
Life is Strange: True Colours
Chicory: A Colourful Tale

Subnautica Colours - it was good but crafting in games stresses me out and the PS4 port is super glitchy
Deathloop Colours - I liked it but it wasn't what I was expecting, I agree with everything owl_pellet said in their list on page 2

Help Im Alive fucked around with this message at 21:57 on Dec 28, 2021

Help Im Alive
Nov 8, 2009

A sinister plot to steal the goty crown from FFXIV....

Help Im Alive
Nov 8, 2009

Endorph posted:

the expansion to an mmo is an extremely good game tho

and also play blue reflection 2

I played through the prologue earlier today after seeing it on a few lists and it's p cute

Help Im Alive
Nov 8, 2009

2021 has truly been the year of the time loop.....

Help Im Alive
Nov 8, 2009

Apparently the previous stats were

vg posted:

- in 2018 we had 59 goons who listed 232 unique games.
- in 2019 we had 143 goons who listed 390 unique games.
- in 2020 we had 180 goons who listed 524 unique games.

Help Im Alive
Nov 8, 2009

rarity alert: I swapped 2/3 around on my list so it's now:

3 - Metroid Dread
2 - Fxnxl Fxntxsy XXX: Xndwxlkxr
1 - Gnosia

now that I've finished it i can also reveal that the mystery game at #2 was actually "Final Fantasy XIV: Endwalker"

it should probably be #1 but I'm not changing it

Help Im Alive
Nov 8, 2009

New World seemed pretty big for a couple of weeks did anyone stick with that

Help Im Alive
Nov 8, 2009

You have to do the dungeons with people (up until Shadowbringers/Endwalker where you can do most of them with NPCs) but it automatically finds a group for you and the community is always pretty friendly even when you're playing with random people

I've played the whole thing solo

Help Im Alive
Nov 8, 2009

They'd need to do XI first

Help Im Alive
Nov 8, 2009

I wasn't expecting TWEWY Neo to be on so many lists because I don't remember hearing much back when it came out but I'll grab it before the holiday sale ends and play it in January probably

Help Im Alive
Nov 8, 2009

I believe in Creative Business Unit III

Help Im Alive
Nov 8, 2009

Thank you rarity but only if Gnosia and Metroid Dread make the top 10 otherwise I retract any and all thanks

Help Im Alive
Nov 8, 2009

I'm saving mine for the game that was listed 69 times

Help Im Alive
Nov 8, 2009

I'd like it probably but I heard it described as a combination of far cry and assassin's creed and decided to get something else

Help Im Alive
Nov 8, 2009

Jay Rust posted:

Minor(?) requests for the next GotY countdown:

- a mention of which the year the game was first released!

#1 - Breath of the Wild 2 (2022)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Help Im Alive
Nov 8, 2009

Some people were posting that they had completed endwalker a few days after release and idk how because it took me like 3 weeks