Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

I played a lot of games this year but most of just got into the "yeah this was pretty good" tier so I don't really care about ranking them so I'll just do my top 5 (and don't really have that much to say about most of them either).

5. Shin Megami Tensei V
Also just another entry in a long-running franchise. It has all the stuff I like and love about the series and executes it well. I don't think it quite reaches the heights of Nocturne but it is very good.

4. Monster Hunter Rise
Yet another Monster Hunter and it's a good one. There isn't much to say here since MH is a very iterative franchise and you generally don't get very large changes between the entries. Rise does a good job of iterating on World and the silkbind gimmick is very good.

3. Metroid Dread
Another entry where there isn't much to actually say about it. They finally made a new Metroid and it turns out that Metroid is still great.

2. Sonic 2006
Ok, hear me out. I am not calling this game good, it is in fact the exact opposite of it. Every part of the game is a mess, the laughable story where Sonic has a romance with a goddamn human lady, the physics that seem to change how they work on a whim, terrible controls, horrible loading times and so forth. Somehow the game manages to loop around being incredibly entertaining if you go in knowing what you are in for. It hits the perfect mix of tense gameplay, funny story and being just broken enough that you can kind of work with it once you start understanding the exact ways the brokenness works while still seeing baffling poo poo constantly. Now that I have actually played the game I really understand why this game is so popular with speedrunners. Against all odds I had a great time with this game.

No other game is as good at being bad as Sonic 2006 is and that is a goddamn achievement. It is immaculate.

1. New Pokemon Snap
I was a big fan of the original Snap as a kid and played it to death. It was really short and kind of shallow but god drat did I love it. New Snap exceeded all the expectations I had for it. They somehow managed make every single Pokemon cute and something you want to see. I really didn't expect to go "Hell yeah that's a loving Morelull!" about pokemon I have never cared about before but they did it.

Just an incredible game that really brought out my inner child.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

Endorph posted:

hey the, the music is genuinely good, it has that going for it.

Not wrong

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

Whizzing Wizard posted:

Putting Sonic'06 on your goty list in the year 2021, is incredibly powerful

It's an enduring classic

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

Rarity posted:

So for those who don’t know me the way I game is by living in the past. I have an XBox 360, a PS3 and a Wii and I have made it my mission to play every cool game to come out for these consoles. To make my journey easy to track I play games in chronological order of release.

Have you considered hit game Sonic 2006?

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

also it should kill you in real life

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

people liking a game i don't like makes me angry

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

Bust Rodd posted:

Goons: “It’s not a MMO! It’s just like a regular final fantasy game, it doesn’t have ANY MMO BULLSHIT!”

This is the line goons keep parroting across all of games, and it is a boldfaced lie. There is stupid mmo bull poo poo clogging up your screen and obscuring your character and destroying your visual real estate literally from the moment the game “starts” by unceremoniously dumping your character in the middle of a big MMO hub city with a screen clogged with menus and chat logs. I’m not saying it’s a bad game, or even not a good game, but it is definitely 100% an mmo from the word go and anyone acting otherwise is sus!!!!

idk, mostly people just seem to describe it as a pretty normal MMO except with a good story

At least that has been my takeaway

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

The real secret is that ME2 is the only good Mass Effect

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

Regy Rusty posted:

silksong when

when it's ready

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

The PC version of cyberpunk was never that broken tbh

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

Nioh 2 also had these cuties

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

Nice

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

New Snap is so good

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

cheetah7071 posted:

then you weren't listening it was never bare-bones and was always good

Yeah, the original snap is one that's bare bones and the new one fixes all of it

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

Entenzahn posted:

A friend of mine talked me out of the new Pokemon Snap and now I feel stupid. I loved the first one, will definitely pick it up ASAP.

:sever:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

Kull the Conqueror posted:

The demo was pretty much improved Final Fantasy Tactics which is all I’ve ever walked from the industry

Not without a job system it aint