Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

I don't see any way I can get and finish Lost Judgement before the end of the year which is too bad as it would probably have made the list. At least I finished Endwalker in time! So I can probably get my list up next weekend.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Waffleman_ posted:

What about Great Ace Attorney, since the collection is their first western release?

They should be counted together since they also function as one complete story.

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

It always surprises me when people are so stingy with their rankings they won't even list 5 games, if only so their favorites can actually be counted!

Meanwhile I've got 13 games that already feels like I've cut my list to the bone and I somehow have to cull 3 more!

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

cheetah7071 posted:

I'm loving passed at the tyranny of base ten for meaning I didn't give gnosia any points

Holy poo poo I just realized I somehow never added Gnosia to my games beat list

Make that 14 games :sweatdrop:

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Rarity posted:

Remember friends, your list must include at least 5 games to be eligible :siren:

Me watching people leave their favorite games out in the cold by not ranking enough to affect the master list: :negative:

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Rarity posted:

You can't submit two lists!

You gotta admit it's a pretty good racket. You sure my "twin" can't vote this year too?

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

An elegant twin solution

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

I'm proud of you

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Rarity posted:

FF14's expansions have always been split for voting purposes, that's not changing now

Has it? I think I just generically voted for "FFXIV" last year, rather than Shadowbringers but I don't recall it appearing multiple times. Maybe I'm misremembering.

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

According to my research, they were counted separately in 2019 (which, to be fair, was also the last year an expansion came out) but in 2020 only Final Fantasy XIV as a whole was included, despite some people voting as a whole and some people voting for expansions.

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

cheetah7071 posted:

I voted for Heavensward last year (playing it on NG+) and it didn't make top ten but it did get counted in the trailing entries at the bottom

I must beg to differ, you voted for Shadowbringers

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3950329&userid=0&perpage=40&pagenumber=2#post510613821

And FFXIV shows up only once on VG's master list

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3950329&userid=0&perpage=40&pagenumber=66#post511561673

Might you be thinking of 2019?

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Like I said, in 2019 they were split and in 2020 they were lumped together. I don't have much stance on how it should be handled (aside from maybe requiring people to only vote for one of them in their list) but it has not been consistent.

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

cheetah7071 posted:

Probably, it's always been the case that Rarity has split ffxiv, but VG, not being Rarity, did something different last year

THAT would make sense and I forgot VG did the collating last year!

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Anyway in that case, just vote for Endwalker even if you haven't made it that far, thanks kids

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Arrrthritis posted:

I had Heavensward on my GotY list last year. :colbert:

You did indeed, and VG still lumped you in with everyone else.

Sounds like 2020 needs a recount smdh

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Jay Rust posted:

So that ff14 places lower?

It's only fair

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Jerusalem posted:

Seems like every year this thread gets made I end up thinking,"Man I should get a Switch....". I haven't even played any Metroid games before and this write-up made me wanna play Dread! :)

You should have got a switch 4 years ago

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Rarity posted:

To use a hypothetical example, imagine if there were votes for both WoW Shadowlands and WoW Burning Crusade Classic, they're the same game but two completely different experiences

I suppose that the argument for FFXIV being different is that it doesn't really handle expansions the same way, with each building on and continuing the story of the previous one to tell one continuous story. You can't just play one expansion without going through the others that came before, so for someone playing them all at once it is just one complete experience rather than several distinct ones.

But in practice I don't think it matters if we all just put Endwalker.

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

cheetah7071 posted:

I mentioned this a few pages back, but I think that argument only works for new players. For established players, they feel far more like sequels than a single continuous experience

I mean I'm an established player now and I'm gonna vote for Endwalker specifically but it's not like I'd mind my vote being lumped together into one FFXIV pile.

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

"My personal tastes weren't catered to therefore this year sucked" - something someone or other has posted in every iteration of this thread.

13 out of the 15 games on my list I really need to sit down and make hard choices about came out this year.

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

I'll get to it ok

I keep playing FFXIV every day instead of completing last minute games, but I still might manage Forgotten City before the year's out. Starting it tomorrow.

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

lol if you don't bang your list out in an hour or less

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

As promised I played a bunch of Forgotten City and holy poo poo I clearly cannot post my list until I beat it.

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Ok I beat Forgotten City and it's definitely on the list. So that means 6 will have to die.

Tonight or tomorrow I'll make the hard choices and get it done.

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Escobarbarian posted:

emptyquote!!!!!!!

Seriously what's wrong with you people

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Alright, alright I've procrastinated long enough. I know everyone's been desperately waiting for me to weigh in, so here we go.

First up we've got the games that almost made the list but couldn't quite get there:

Honorable Mentions
Disco Elysium – I liked Disco Elysium a lot, but to be honest I didn’t love it. It had tons of really cool ideas and an incredibly interesting world. Its characters were good and the mystery was intriguing most of the way through. But I felt like it didn’t quite deliver on its promises as it neared the end. The climax was pretty disappointing as was finally solving the mystery. The coolest stuff involved the weird nature of the world it takes place in, but ultimately it seemed not to be explored as much as I would have liked. I’ll certainly play a sequel if one ever exists though.

It Takes Two – One of the best co-op games I’ve ever played. Excellent puzzles and a sweet story and worked great playing with my brother from far away.
Inscryption – Super weird and clever. I don’t have much else to say about it but it’s very worth a look.

Psychonauts 2 – I feel bad this one couldn’t quite make my list. It truly managed to do the impossible and recaptured the brilliance of the original decades later. I never thought they’d actually be able to pull it off, but they did.

Hitman 3 – A stellar conclusion(?) to the new Hitman trilogy. I’m really glad I finally got into this series as it provides an experience like nothing else. Hitman 3 had some of my favorite levels of the trilogy in it. I hope they continue to do more!

Shin Megami Tensei V – Something had to get bumped off the list and it came down to feeling like the one that I put at number ten was just a little more special. SMTV was a great entry that had all the usual stuff I love about the series coupled with a new emphasis on exploration and platforming that was surprising but very welcome. Still doesn’t knock town SMTIV: Apocalypse as my favorite in the series but it’s up there.

And now, the main event -

Top 10 Games of 2021

10. Gnosia – I originally was gonna put this one in Honorable Mentions and give the number ten spot to SMTV, but in searching my heart I felt like Gnosia deserved a nod for being one of the most unique ideas for a game I’ve ever played. I was a big online Mafia player years ago so seeing that get translated into a game was really clever. The actual games are a bit light on character development as they have to have endless variations but they still managed to tell an extremely compelling story with cool characters and lots of endings to find and puzzles to solve.

9. Metroid Dread Metroid’s relatively low placement on this list is no indictment of its quality – Dread is probably my favorite 2D Metroid to date. It delivered everything I could’ve wanted out of a new Metroid game with fantastic combat and bosses and the usual wonderful Metroid exploration.

8. Chicory: A Colorful Tale – Another game from the makers of a previous entry on one of my Top 10 Lists, Wandersong, this one holds up to its predecessor’s pedigree. They managed to come up with an incredibly satisfying core gameplay element of painting the world around you and then filled in tricky puzzles and a powerfully moving story. I loved every moment of it.

7. The Forgotten City – Last game I played this year and I’m really glad I squeezed it in. “Time loop mystery” is all you need to tell me to get me to play a game at this point. I liked the more character focused story this one had and how it included a very clever way to make you not have to re-solve puzzles you’ve already cleared on a previous loop – just tell a good good boy to go take care of them for you! The twists and turns were excellent and I loved the final ending as it had me grinning the whole time.

6. Phoenotopia: Awakening – I played the flash predecessor of this game years and years ago. I never finished it and then totally forgot about it. I saw this one recommended earlier this year and picked it up, playing a good quarter of the way through before finally figuring out why it felt oddly familiar. It’s an excellent combo of Zelda and Metroidvania with some really hard bosses and lots of dungeons and world to explore. I really hope it did well enough to merit the promised sequel.

5. The Great Ace Attorney Chronicles – My top five was an incredible struggle to nail down. Every single one of these feels like it deserves a number one spot. The fact that an Ace Attorney game, (really TWO games) and one of the best in the series at that is only at number five just shows how special the other four are to me. GAA is something we’ve been waiting for for such a long time now that to finally get it was joyous. I’d played the first game already in the fan translation but the official version was a million times better, and the second game managed to deliver on all the promises and cliffhangers the first left us with. I have loved Ace Attorney for more than a decade now and finally can say that I’ve played all of them.

4. Crosscode – I first played this game in 2018 when it came out, and got a bit bored partway into the first overworld area. I kept meaning to come back to it but 3 years went by before I actually did. With the release of the New Home DLC this year, I finally decided to give it another chance and push on to the first dungeon. And holy poo poo am I glad I did. This game has one of the best combat systems of any 2D action game I’ve ever played and puts it to great use with its brutally hard boss fights. It has incredibly intricate and difficult puzzles in its MASSIVE dungeons. And to top it all off it has a deeply moving story that has stuck with me all year. And it tells its story with the best use of a silent protagonist I’ve seen in any game – the fact that the main character can’t talk is not only a part of the story, it ends up being a massive obstacle along the way and the way she and her friends have to deal with their inability to communicate is at times heartbreaking. More people need to play this game.

And so we come to the two who battled it out in my mind for months about who should claim the number 2 and 3 slots. Both games are ones that I’ve been waiting for, for over 10 years. Both are sequels to games I loved as a child and teenager that managed to surpass the originals in every way. The choice between them was really hard and the order I put them in switched many times. But in the end, I had to make up my mind and went with:

3. NEO: The World Ends With You – Wow this is a game that it seemed like was being teased for far too long. When it was finally announced I was overjoyed while also a little skeptical. A whole new cast is not what I’d been expecting after the end of the remake. Would my favorite old characters still return? Would the new combat system and story be as satisfying as the original? Fortunately the answer to these questions was a resounding yes. The new cast quickly captured my heart, and the story ended up tying into the first game very well. The new combat, while perhaps not as clever and unique as the DS original, ended up still having tons of depth and complexity and made the game very fun to get 100% in. We probably won’t ever get another game in this series, but I can live with that now.

2. New Pokémon Snap – And so of course in the end it was Pokemon that won out. The game I had longed for, for nearly 20 years finally materialized and it was so much better than I could have imagined. Turning Pokemon Snap into more than just a relatively simple safari journey but rather a complex puzzle game was a brilliant move. There are countless interactions to be found in the game and I ended up getting a whole group of friends together in a Discord server to work together and figure them all out. It took us weeks but we did manage it in the end and I got every single picture variation and every single request in the game. I still haven’t had time to really dig into the DLC as I got incredibly busy in the latter half of the year and other games kept taking precedence. But I know it’ll still be there for me once I finally return to it. Seeing Pokemon behaving like actual animals in an actual environment for the first time in the series was amazing and I really hope they can do more things like this, whether in future Snap installments or in making large changes to the main series.

1. Final Fantasy XIV: Endwalker – But the top spot was really never in contention. For what other game could possibly complete with the culmination of a story told over 8 years? Rarely have I felt so strongly attached to a game’s story and characters as I do with Final Fantasy XIV. I may have only been playing for about 2 years now, but I am completely in love with this game and will undoubtedly stick with it as long as it goes. Endwalker met and exceeded all expectations I could possibly have had about how this story would end. The new areas were gorgeous, the dungeons and bosses were all extremely fun, and the story was filled with surprises and powerful moments. I was incredibly lucky that I was able to arrange my schedule to devote this game the time it needed and it paid off immensely. This will probably be the last year for a while I put FFXIV on my list as even while I will continue playing it next year, I think it probably needs a break. But for this year there’s no question, it’s the best game I played in 2021.

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Top of the page BITCHES hell yes

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

moosferatu posted:

Nice list @Regy Rusty. I need to give Crosscode a go some time.

I haven't played enough games that I care to rate this year to qualify for an official list, so here's my short-list.

That is enough for an official list btw! You only need 5 and you've got 6.

This thread understands not everyone can wrangle up 10 great games a year, so you've got plenty. :)

Also hell yes at Phoenotopia getting some more love!

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

The Sexy Brutale owns

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Help Im Alive posted:

New World seemed pretty big for a couple of weeks did anyone stick with that

I feel like I've only heard disastrous things about that one

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Turns out, MMO crap is good. Who knew!

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Honestly if you're at all intrigued why not just try FFXIV once the free trial is back? Worst that can happen is you're right about not liking it. You won't be putting in any monetary investment until after Heavensward, by which point you'll know for sure if it's for you or not.

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Harrow posted:

Mostly just comparing to WoW specifically, it's night and day. WoW is notoriously toxic in the specific way that FFXIV's moderation is designed to prevent.

That said you can't play right now anyway and who knows when they'll reopen it for new players so we should probably stop evangelizing now, of all times :v:

On the contrary no better time to make people want what they can't have. :twisted:

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

It was a nice thread we had once

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Jesus Runa, and I thought I loved FFXIV.

:golfclap:

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Also Disco came out on console this year anyway so it's the first time some of us could play it

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Silver Falcon posted:

1) Great Ace Attorney Chronicles

I'm making this one my number one because I can. This game is WONDERFUL. An absolute delight from start to finish. Everything from the characters, to the music, to the story, to...everything. It's just great. Especially Sherlock er wait excuse me, Herlock Sholmes and the Dance of Deduction. I had a big stupid grin on my face any time he was on screen. Need to go and read some Sherlock Holmes stories. I haven't actually read many of them and this game makes me want to read them.

:sickos:

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Barreft posted:

Mostly played the Switch this year:

0. Dusk
9. Quake Remake
8. Monster Hunter Rise
7. Final Fantasy VII Remake: Intergrade
6. Bowser's Fury
5. Psychonauts 2
4. Disco Elysium: Final Cut
3. SMTV
2. Metroid Dread
1. FFXIV

Julias posted:

Guess I'll contribute too.

Only 4 things on my list because I didn't play many games and I'm only including the good ones

4. Yoshi's Crafted World
3. Inscryption
2. Metroid Dread
1. Omori

You both need to write a sentence or two about your games to be counted. And Julias you need a fifth game. Hurry there's only a few hours left!

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Barudak posted:

Officially: Goons love final fantasy xiv
The secret truth: Goons love love final fantasy xiv

Secret?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

BeanpolePeckerwood posted:

oh man less than 2 hours to go imagine the look on some of these faces when they realize they missed the deadline

By my count we had 6 missed deadline posts last year. Think we can beat the record?