Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Amp
Sep 10, 2010

:11tea::bubblewoop::agesilaus::megaman::yoshi::squawk::supaburn::iit::spooky::axe::honked::shroom::smugdog::sg::pkmnwhy::parrot::screamy::tubular::corsair::sanix::yeeclaw::hayter::flip::redflag:
It's the most wonderful time of the year!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Amp
Sep 10, 2010

:11tea::bubblewoop::agesilaus::megaman::yoshi::squawk::supaburn::iit::spooky::axe::honked::shroom::smugdog::sg::pkmnwhy::parrot::screamy::tubular::corsair::sanix::yeeclaw::hayter::flip::redflag:

cheetah7071 posted:

I'd rather blame rarity

Amp
Sep 10, 2010

Rarity posted:

Nailed it :smug:

Good work scoops

Amp
Sep 10, 2010

Blue ribbons like at the county fair!

Amp
Sep 10, 2010

Hello, thank you for having us all at this wonderful Game of the Year Gala.

https://zippy.gfycat.com/ElderlyGrandioseDorking.mp4
10. Metal Gear Solid
I decided, at some point, during this year that I wanted to replay the entire Metal Gear Solid series and really only ended up getting through the first in the series, which already is one of my favorite games of all time and I don’t think placing it at number 10, as a nostalgia game, betrays that ranking for me. 23 years on from its initial release, Metal Gear Solid remains as stylish, fun and deeply interesting as ever and full of some of gaming’s most iconic characters. I think Metal Gear Solid is rad and Hideo Kojima is truly an artist of the video game form.

9. Pyre
Pyre is better than Hades and frankly it’s not even a close argument as far as I am concerned. I find the central gameplay of Pyre, which can really only be described as magic NBA jam, deeply satisfying and a joy to tinker with different team and item combinations. Pyre has some of the most beautiful environmental backgrounds I’ve ever seen. I found myself sitting, staring, at the screen just taking in and appreciating the colorful and intricate backgrounds, listening to the wonderful music and having a great time. Pyre’s signature achievement, however, is that it is a game where you can lose and it’s okay. It’s a brilliant design decision to allow you to lose games, while also moving the plot forward in a new and interesting way. The longer-term mechanic of saving certain party members, while those not chosen remain in the Downside for another another round of the Rites while the party size dwindles made for some really interesting decision making – do I want to free these characters that I have come to be fond of and find extremely useful in actual games, or should I keep them in purgatory to make my own life easier?

https://thumbs.gfycat.com/ElasticExaltedAmericanbittern-mobile.mp4
8. DOOM: Eternal
Mother fuckin’ DOOM.

7. Hollow Knight
Another wonderful title that I am wildly late to the party on. This is one of those games where I’m mad that no one sat me down, shook me by the shoulders and told me to play as soon as possible. Hollow Knight is one of the most exemplary examples of a “metroid-vania” I can think of, please excuse me for not having played Metroid: Dread quite yet. Hollow Knight, much like Pyre above, was a game where I would just sit and appreciate the wonderful environments and appreciate how much care and effort went into every little thing. I didn’t end up going for full completion on Hollow Knight, though. I think maybe, depending on whenever Silksong comes out, I may be ready for a revisit at some point in the near future to clear up the stuff I left unfinished.

https://i.imgur.com/tyEA5a8.mp4
6. Deep Rock Galactic
Deep Rock Galactic, to me, is a game about chillin’ with the boys and having a good time. For me, it’s the first thing I want to reach for when co-op gaming is happening. Have not gotten deep into high level content for Deep Rock Galactic, but every time I boot this up it’s a drat good time and an equally good excuse to simply hang out and shoot the poo poo, while also shooting poo poo. The developers of DRG, seem to be pretty player-friendly, having just released an entirely free battle pass and the items that are inside will be able to be purchased with in-game currency after the season ends for anyone who didn’t gain them from the battle pass. It seems like an interesting take on attempting to do more “live” content for the game and I’m curious to see how it goes, further down the line.

https://i.imgur.com/b8c5ncz.mp4
5. Guilty Gear: Strive
Guilty Gear: Strive is so good it got me over my 1v1 online gaming anxiety and got me to actually put time in the lab to want to get better. Having friends that play a fighting game at the same time as you and constantly drive you to get better is a blessing. Strive’s netcode is incredibly good – in nearly 100 hours of playing Strive online I can count only a small handful of individual matches that were negatively affected by internet issues. I do think that the first season of DLC characters has been, to date, somewhat disappointing and hope that season 2 brings more viable characters to the table. Apparently there’s a story in this game that’s incredibly rad, that I’ve completely ignored because all I want to do is get online as quickly as possible and throw dolphins at people.

https://i.imgur.com/6YoqvXb.mp4
4. Anodyne 2
Just go read stux’s post on Anodyne 2 from last year’s thread.

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?action=showpost&postid=510800383

3. 13 Sentinels
I was trying my hardest to get 13 Sentinels in under the wire for last year’s thread and just missed it, because I was playing Cyberpunk 2077 instead. That was, all things considered, a colossal gently caress up. I’m not sure if there’s much to say about 13 Sentinels that hasn’t already been said. I’m not even quite sure how to discuss the game in a manner that doesn’t show the game’s hand immediately – if you’re the kind of person who thinks you’d have any interest in this game I can assure you that you will enjoy it and to go in as blind as possible.

https://i.imgur.com/mxz2hgx.mp4
2. Monster Hunter: Rise
Monster Hunter: World gave me my first taste of Monster Hunter and I fell head-over-heels for it and sank well over 100 hours into it between the PS4 and PC releases. Monster Hunter: Rise sucked me in all over again. The wirebug is an incredible addition to Monster Hunter and the new abilities make an already deep combat even deeper. Rise has some of the most satisfying moments in gaming – from hitting your big Great Sword combo for massive damage, or a quick parry of a monster with your shield playing with the Lance or the big old Charge Blade pizza cutter, there’s always something fun and satisfying to be working towards, even in combat. I did have to temper myself somewhat with Rise, due to not wanting to burn out for the upcoming PC release, which I plan playing an immense amount of.

https://i.imgur.com/V9Sanc6.mp4
1. Sekiro
According to my notes, Sekiro is the second game I finished in 2021. It set the bar incredibly high, and nothing else could knock it from its perch at the top of my games list this year. I think looking at Sekiro as if it were a Souls, or even Bloodborne, type game does it severe injustice. Traversal through the world in Sekiro is fluid and meaningful. I do think that the main attraction of Sekiro is the combat and that is where it truly shines. Some may simply say “Sekiro is a glorified rhythm game” and I think those people are buttheads. There isn’t a game that, when you are executing correctly and competently, makes you feel any cooler than Sekiro does. A well-fought battle in Sekiro leaves you feeling like there is no force in Heaven or Earth that could take you on. Sekiro is a game that tries to crush your soul, and asks you to face it on even terms. When you finally break through and learn a boss’s moveset death after death, as the frustration grows, you finally make it a bit further and it all clicks and it’s the best feeling in gaming. Not being able to summon allies is a brave design decision and I think it makes Sekiro a better game for it. Sekiro is a lovely game.

Rarity List:
10. Metal Gear Solid
9. Pyre
8. DOOM: Eternal
7. Hollow Knight
6. Deep Rock Galactic
5. Guilty Gear Strive
4. Anodyne 2
3. 13 Sentinels
2. MH Rise
1. Sekiro

Amp
Sep 10, 2010

jimmydalad posted:

God this thread is so good and people out in so much work while I slapped together mine at the last second. Good poo poo everyone.

Amp
Sep 10, 2010

Julias posted:

Thanks for the heads up.

You'd think a mod would read the entire OP before posting.

Amp
Sep 10, 2010

TGLT posted:

There are just TOO many games if you ask me. They should make fewer of them so the rest of us can catch up.

It's so good that you can just pick awesome games and that's all you play now

Amp
Sep 10, 2010

Stux posted:

swithc and pc is the gamers choice

Both of them have many games

Amp
Sep 10, 2010

Amp
Sep 10, 2010

Hearing reports from Bryan Alvarez on twitter that FFXIV will not be appearing due to COVID protocols and an interim GOTY will be awarded

Amp
Sep 10, 2010

Amp
Sep 10, 2010

My bracket is ruined

Amp
Sep 10, 2010

Escobarbarian posted:

FF9 charted, Rarity sharted

Amp
Sep 10, 2010

cheetah7071 posted:

mass effect 3 is indeed judged too harshly, it's a fair sight better than mass effect 1

no

Amp
Sep 10, 2010

interesting results so far :thunk:

Amp
Sep 10, 2010

how is rarity making dinner and posting :thunk:

Amp
Sep 10, 2010

sorry i ran out for some errands (to the weed store) instead of posting so i need to get some posts out

Amp
Sep 10, 2010

Rarity posted:

Better to get your errands done early so you're here for the main event :hai:

hope hanger wins

Amp
Sep 10, 2010

when the aew video game comes out you better rig it to win

Amp
Sep 10, 2010

wuggles posted:

thanks LVG

Amp
Sep 10, 2010

Harrow posted:

Checking in to :toot: for Dragon Quest, hell yeah

Some day VG will know where my av comes from

That's just what pigs look like

Amp
Sep 10, 2010

Regy Rusty posted:

silksong when

Amp
Sep 10, 2010

I am playing Forza Horizon 5 right at this exact moment, and it's very good.

Amp
Sep 10, 2010

Jerusalem posted:

Lookit the little Kirby driving the car! :neckbeard:

Amp
Sep 10, 2010

Escobarbarian posted:

Why are people so loving weird about using other storefronts

I just want to play the game where I already own the rest of the series

Amp
Sep 10, 2010

2022 is the year of Baiken

Amp
Sep 10, 2010

Runa posted:

Throwing dolphins was genuinely overpowered for like a month or so it was wild

You’d think of it was overpowered a May would have won even 1 tournament.

Amp
Sep 10, 2010

Oh no ooooh no

Amp
Sep 10, 2010

lol hell yeah

Amp
Sep 10, 2010

BeanpolePeckerwood posted:

oof spoiler, but also yeah

People should have played it by now :colbert:

Amp
Sep 10, 2010

:f5:

Amp
Sep 10, 2010

Amp
Sep 10, 2010

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

What are the PriceWaterhouseCooper guidelines for timeloop games

gently caress PWC

Amp
Sep 10, 2010

Relax Or DIE posted:

that image implies that kirby will interact with a lot of poop

lol

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Amp
Sep 10, 2010

Relax Or DIE posted:

hit me with the endwalker probe cowards i'm gonna go do some gaming

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)