Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MMF Freeway
Sep 15, 2010

Later!
looking at the hall of fame... drat we're good at goty lists

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MMF Freeway
Sep 15, 2010

Later!

BeanpolePeckerwood posted:

it was cool that one year where monster hunter won

MH Rise is my goty (list in progress) but I think the switch exclusivity is gonna hurt it here. World came to consoles and PC same year + was also very good

MMF Freeway
Sep 15, 2010

Later!
HONORABLE MENTIONS
I played a lot of remasters this year. I love revisiting games I'm nostalgic for and remasters are the perfect opportunity/excuse to indulge. I've decided to arbitrarily exclude them from my list to make room for newer releases, even though Nocturne, Nier or Quake could have all made the cut. I also played some unofficial "remasters" as well like Heavily Modded Morrowind (still the GOAT), various Doom wads and S.T.A.L.K.E.R. Anomaly. I'd say overall my time this year was split pretty evenly between old and new games. So while this list is representative of just the newish games I've played this year, know that old games rule and will forever have a place in my heart.

10. INSCRYPTION
Truthfully I don't really care for deckbuilders, but I had to give this one a shot if only because of the fun meta narrative elements. It really delivers in that regard and manages to effectively drive the player forward using the overarching mystery. The card game itself has enough meat to stay interesting, and while its not my favorite thing I can appreciate that for the right person this is a slam dunk. Gotta give props to art direction as well, perfect use of lo-fi graphics to create a sense of horror.

9. METROID DREAD
They went and done it, they made a good Metroid game. I was pretty skeptical, having not really liked Samus Returns too much but Mercury Steam pulled out all the stops with Dread. It can't be overstated how much they nailed the controls here and half the fun is in how effortlessly Samus navigates her environments now. A solid map, good enemy design and fun boss fights round out the experience and though I'm not a huge fan of the EMMI sections, they don't wear out their welcome either.

8. GRIME
GRIME lives on the opposite end of the metroidvania spectrum from Dread, and I think I prefer this side just a bit. No fluid controls here, its stiff and janky, but with a wonderfully oppressive atmosphere and some interesting tweaks to the usual metroidvania formula. Like what if parrying was really, really important. The lore and worldbuilding is interesting enough that it kept me playing through some extremely tough sections and ultimately I found the game manages to straddle the line between challenge and frustration, if just barely.

7. HALO INFINITE
The first competitive multiplayer fps I've cared about in years, and wouldn't you know its free to play as well. The gunplay is crisp, the sounds are crunchy and the action is immediately readable and clean. Its just the right mix of hardcore twitch aiming and silly objective focused antics for my friends and I, and I imagine this will be our go to party game well into 2022.

6. NIOH 2
An amazing expansion and refinement of the first game's mechanics... and not much else. Its Nioh again folks but good thing Nioh rules. Turns out I have the right kind of brainworms to actually enjoy the oft-maligned diablo-style loot system and the associated grind. The incredibly deep and expressive stance based combat is back and better than ever and the feeling of Getting Good at Nioh is top tier satisfaction. The story is also there and it does the only thing it needed to do: show me cutscenes of guys in cool armor right before they kick my rear end.

5. RESIDENT EVIL 8
I love the direction the RE franchise has been going lately. The style, tone and structure of everything since RE7 has been right on the money for me and RE8 is no exception. Its not quite as masterfully paced as RE2make managed to be, but it has the right ratio of horror to action and the setting and characters are all pitch perfect. I also can't get enough of the RE engine's specific brand of photorealistic graphics. I can't put my finger on what exactly makes them so appealing but the ultra sharp stylish-realism is extremely easy on my eyes. Yes the late game was a bit of a slog but an improvement over RE7's so progress is being made.

4. FINAL FANTASY 7 REMAKE
The reason this list is coming in so late is because I've spent the last two weeks mainlining this game in an effort to finish it before the year ends. Its with a heavy heart I report that I won't quite make that deadline, but I have put enough time in to determine that this definitely deserves a prestigious top 5 slot. I'm honestly overwhelmed with all the things I love about this game that I won't be able to fit into this short post. The lengths they went to flesh out characters and events from the original game is kind of staggering. Its completely different than what I would have imagined they would do, and its often done with a sort of subtleness and nuance that I'm not used to seeing from SE. The combat is fun and flashy with just enough depth to keep you paying attention and I love how they reworked and balanced the materia. The music is incredible, they went so wild with the remixes and it all totally works. At this point even if it biffs the ending it'd still make my list but I have a feeling its going to nail it and I'm already looking forward to this Yuffie dlc.

3. DEATHLOOP
It seems like everyone is always comparing this game to whichever Arkane joint they liked best. I like to see DEATHLOOP in the same light as Fromsoft's Sekiro. They're both departures from their respective studio's signature formulas, and act as sort of diversions where the devs can tinker with mechanics that would be too bold or outlandish in their usual works. DEATHLOOP comes through feeling incredibly confident in both its style and structure, and while it doesn't always hit every mark it aims for, it manages to be so fun in your hands that its easy to forgive its shortcomings. Is it "better" than Prey or Dishonored or even Mooncrash? Maybe not, but it certainly makes me excited to see what Arkane do next.

2. PSYCHONAUTS 2
Absolute joy to play, front to back, all killer no filler. Okay well there is explicitly some filler but if you can contain your collectionist urges then you get a game that is exceptionally breezy and well paced. I truly didn't want to put it down, especially when each new section is more vibrant and expressive than the last. The decision to pick up right where the first game left off is not only hilarious given how long its been, but eerily appropriate. In no time at all you will feel right at home again, like these characters and this world never left. Beyond the amazing art direction and strong writing the game also feels infinitely better to play than its predecessor, addressing nearly all of the issues that made the original so clunky. Its the total package and I'd recommend it to literally anyone.

1. MONSTER HUNTER RISE
Speaking of joyous games, this is the one that definitely delivered me the most happiness this year. I wasn't sure Capcom could pull off a game to rival MH: World on Switch hardware but drat did they pull it off. Rise has no business looking as good as it does, much less playing so fluidly with barely a hiccup in the action. The wirebug is of course MVP here, but not just for the movement options. The way that it effects the relative balance of the weapons is overall very positive and each one feels fresh again. Sure its a bit on the easy end of things but it doesn't make clowning of mons from 30ft in the air any less fun. Further QoL improvements over MHW are also greatly appreciated and dropping the semi-GaaS stuff in favor of a more traditional model is a big improvement too. If Monster Hunter somehow didn't get its hooks in you a few years ago with World, well here's the next best point of entry.

MMF Freeway
Sep 15, 2010

Later!
I think I'm going to play ff14 in 2022

MMF Freeway
Sep 15, 2010

Later!
I'm here for the list, you can start now

MMF Freeway
Sep 15, 2010

Later!
:f5:

MMF Freeway
Sep 15, 2010

Later!
Very good quotes lol

MMF Freeway
Sep 15, 2010

Later!
Oof, I wanted better for my boy but top 10 will have to do

MMF Freeway
Sep 15, 2010

Later!

Alxprit posted:

You'll all get yours when Sunbreak comes out this year and it's on PC so everyone will be playing Rise.

this, hopefully

MMF Freeway
Sep 15, 2010

Later!

Rarity posted:

Disco was in 5th place until bop bop perano posted a list with 15 minutes left before deadline with Disco at #1

Absolute legend

MMF Freeway
Sep 15, 2010

Later!
So happy for Samus

MMF Freeway
Sep 15, 2010

Later!

Lol

MMF Freeway
Sep 15, 2010

Later!
monhun fans/Nintendo fans/jrpg fans: love these forums lol do your thing fellow weebs

Nooo not like that

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MMF Freeway
Sep 15, 2010

Later!
Ty to VG and Rarity for a great thread and also thanks to everyone who took the time to make a list. Glad to see that thread participation continues to climb