Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
For anyone having trouble ranking, but who does have a list of games they played, here's a tool to help you out:

https://rankingengine.pubmeeple.com/

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice

VideoGames posted:

Thank you Esco.
Everyone else please stop cyber bullying me.

okay I'll start bullying you in person

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
I'm going to be writing up a top 18, because there are 18 games I want to talk about this year. And also 18 is an idoneal number, which makes it cool.

18. Shadowverse

I swear this screenshot is hilarious if you know what the cards do

All the way down here at 17, we have games that have some pretty big issues, but nevertheless have some real strengths. Shadowverse is a card game of inconsistent quality. Sometimes there's really fun decks and a diverse meta and sometimes it's just misery incarnate, and I stop playing for a while. But the actual card game isn't why it's on my list. I recommend anyone who is interested in this game to completely ignore that, at least at first, and go to story mode. Then skip the first 10 or so chapters of the story and begin at "Fate's Trigger", which is a good starting point and far higher quality than the stuff that came before it. Treat it like a visual novel where every so often you play a card game (using the starter decks to progress despite not having a collection). I guess if you like the card game you could keep playing it after, but the story is the part I want to talk about today. The story of Fate's Trigger seems to be a story about revolution--about the people at the bottom deciding that there's no recourse but violence against the systems that oppress them. But as the chapters unfold, you slowly realize the truth. It's not a story about revolution. It's a story about the crushing despair of having nothing and trying to fight against somebody who has everything. The characters struggle and fight and hope and in the end are left with nothing but death and misery for their efforts. The world is so ruined that in the sequel arc, the bright cowboy-themed world has become a dark bloodborne world, with new characters trying to make their way through a world even more openly hostile to them, and with even less hope of anything positive coming out of it. But, in what will become a bit of a theme in the games I rank highly this year, it continues on with a message of hope. It makes you feel the pit of despair firsthand to continue on by reminding you that as long as you can put one foot in front of the other, you aren't done yet.

The quality never quite meets the highs of that first arc, and it's not done yet and may still flub the ending, so it's not in my top ten. But It's still a game I liked a lot, this year.

17. Final Fantasy XIV: Shadowbringers
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MwE_08Fw4w0

This isn't my rank of ShB as a whole, but my ranking of ShB, as I played it this year. That means patches 5.4 (it came out in December 2020 but I wasn't done with it till months later) through 5.55. The story continued to be good, but the majority of my ffxiv experience in that period was raiding. I have a lot of games on my list this year where the theme is overcoming challenging content through persistence. And in raiding, for better or for worse, it comes with a social element. At its worst, that means dealing with scheduling and playing when you aren't feeling so hot (because that's the day you scheduled and you don't want to let people down). At its best, it means you have seven buddies to share the load with you, joking and having fun the whole way. And the fights are a lot of fun! (...Mostly, I won't pretend lions doesn't suck rear end). I spent a lot of gaming hours raiding, and enjoyed most of it.

16. Shin Megami Tensei 4: Apocalypse

I went on a bit of an SMT trip this year. SMT4A is the weakest one I played, but still a pretty good game. Rather than the more typical message that, in a world of demons, people tend to become demonic, 4A posits the opposite: that despite everything, humans can stay normal even in horrible circumstances. The story does get a bit self-indulgent here and there, but the gameplay is still SMT, and still great. You're still going to get owned every so often, and need to spend a lot of time thinking about how to fuse and how to prepare for battles, and the press turn system is still great. If you want to dip your toes into mainline SMT but are turned off by the usual atmosphere, 4A is a good compromise for you.

15. Golden Sun Dark Dawn

A lot of ink has been spilled about how Dark Dawn was bad, or how actually Golden Sun was always bad and Dark Dawn was just more of the same, but I got an urge to play it after seeing The Lost Age being run at GDQ and you know what? It was fun. The djinn system was always cool. It's hard to go wrong with puzzle dungeons and with dragon quest style combat. The story was kind of whatever, but it had Sveta in it, and Sveta owns. gently caress the haters. Golden Sun Dark Dawn is solidly a Good Game.

14. Atelier Ryza 2: Lost Legends & the Secret Fairy

Same, comrade Ryza

I bet you're all shocked that the new Atelier that came out this year isn't even in my top ten, but this year was seriously stacked for me. I've sort of had a feeling for a while like Gust is no longer making games that I adore, with all their best work in the PS3 era, and is now making games that I "merely" like. More on that in my top ten proper. Spoiler: this isn't the only Gust game on my list.

As far as the game itself goes, it's very much Ryza 2. You'll probably like it very close to the same amount you likes Ryza 1. The combat system is moderately improved. The alchemy is about the same. I'm still mourning the loss of time limits. I understand that they cause a lot of potential players anxiety no matter how lenient they are, but to me, they really felt like they were the connective tissue holding Atelier together. The inherently grindy nature of finding the perfect ingredients, or obtaining large quantities of rare ingredients, has nothing counterbalancing it without a looming deadline. Spending hours crafting away at the perfect items was always a series staple, but now there's nothing stopping you from doing it every time you get a new tier of gear, and it just sort of drags the pacing down a bit.

That said, I don't want to just complain about modern Atelier. Ryza 2 is still a great game! The alchemy and combat are fun (though I wish the combat system allowed you to use items from turn one--the way it's set up, it felt pointless to bother with items half the time). The characters are charming. It's a lighthearted adventure story that moves into a slightly different space than usual for Gust, by focusing on a grown adult rather than being a coming-of-age story. My heart can't help but compare it to the titans of the past, but taken on its own merits, it's a good game.

13. Atelier Marie

Ignore the text box, I just wanted to show off the art style here

The first two Atelier games, Atelier Marie, and Atelier Elie, got fan translations a while back. I ended up playing them straddling the new year: Elie in December 2020, and Marie in January 2021. Elie didn't make it into my top ten last year, so I didn't post about it, but this year I'm doing a top eighteen, so I get to post about Marie!

These super-early Ateliers are really fascinating. They have a bit of PS1 jank in their DNA: in particular, it's really unclear how you're even supposed to get started, especially in Marie; once you're past the first few hours, they become a lot more reasonable. But all the things that are beloved in the series Atelier became are right there, from the start. It's clear to me that Rorona, the soft reboot following the bizarre PS2 era, was explicitly an attempt to return to the series' roots. Stripped of all the bells and whistles that have been added to it over the decades, Marie stands proudly, holding high the core essence of Atelier: a resource management sim with a low-stakes, chill story, good music, and characters pulled from the pages of shoujo manga. And you know what? That's all it needs to be.

12. Deltarune

I have no doubt that when Deltarune is finally done, it will be in my top ten. But for now? A near-miss. Not because it's bad, but just because it's incomplete. I can't wait to spend another five chapters with my good friend Susie. Toby Fox has created a world full of wonder and joy, but with just enough of a dark edge to make it shine even brighter. Unless it falls flat on its face in the future chapters, it's going to be a worthy successor to Undertale.

11. The House at Fata Morgana

This is a visual novel, that is, a book with a soundtrack which gets classified as a video game because it's software instead of physical media. But, as long as that's the case, I will rank it alongside other games. It's a story about absolute misery, depression and despair. A story where almost nothing good happens to anyone, and every time it does, it's yanked away moments later. Almost every way one human can be cruel or malicious to another is depicted at least once. And yet, in the end, ultimately, it's a story about not letting your tragedies define you. Not about forgiving, per se, but moving on and achieving mastery over your abusers by not letting them ruin your life. If that sounds like a story that would resonate with you--and you can stand to see the prerequisite abuse depicted intensely--I cannot recommend it enough. I'm lucky enough to not have the story resonate with my personal experiences, so it's down here at number 11 on my list. Buy it absolutely has the potential to be number one for somebody else, and if that sounds like you I highly recommend it.

It does occasionally veer into the clichéd and trite, and unfortunately the first few hours spend a lot of time in that territory. But if this description sounds worthwhile, please push past that to at least the end of the second door.

10. Gnosia

Gnosia is a mafia-style social deduction game, but played against AIs instead of other humans. This has the notable advantage that they can be programmed with quirks, and you can learn their personalities, and how they behave. It's a great feeling when you figure things out like "Character X is only aggressive when they're the traitor," or "Character Y clams up when they're the traitor," or "Character Z only makes accusations when they're completely certain about it...unless they're the traitor, and using their reputation to steer you wrong." You learn their personalities in the course of gameplay, and that feeds in perfectly to the story being told, about slowly unraveling the layers of your companions over repeated time loops. And I love almost all of them. It also has some excellent non-binary rep, if that's something important to you. Even if it isn't, play Gnosia.

9. New Pokemon Snap

Are you a millenial, and thus have terminal pokemon brain because you grew up at the height of the craze? Do you like cute things? Do you like puzzling out how to combine a handful of elements to achieve the desired results? Boy do I have the game for you! Never before have pokemon felt as real as they do in New Pokemon Snap. Every single 'mon that appears on screen is incredible. There are no misses. You will go from "oh? Liepard? Whatever" to "Wow!!!! It's Liepard!!!!" in the course of half a second. I don't think I can express the sheer joy I feel when snapping away in mere words. If you like pokemon, but somehow haven't played this, you're doing yourself a huge disservice.

8. Shin Megami Tensei 5

apples

SMT5 is SMT. Demon fusion, press turns, hard bosses, it's SMT alright. Rather than having the traditional gridded layout of a dungeon crawler, it evokes a similar feeling in an open-looking but ultimately maze-like 3D world. It isn't truly open world, like some people claim, because there's no real choice in your destination: there's only one place you're going, and the rest of the paths are just dead ends with treasure in them, like a dungeon crawler. The magatsuhi meter is a great addition to the formula, as are miracles. My only real gameplay complaint is that the game just hands you the essence of nearly every demon, meaning it's very easy to create perfect demons. I would have preferred it more if you had to work to obtain essences, so that taking a midgame demon and pumping them full of drugs wasn't both easier and more powerful than fusing them away. I also think the world aesthetics are a bit repetitive, and that the characters who you're ultimately supposed to be deciding between don't really do enough to feel like their philosophies are fully fleshed out. Still, it's a Nocturne-style game. Not being as good as Nocturne is no great shame. A very solid game, and I can't wait for the enhanced version which Atlus will inevitably put out in mid 2023.

7. Touhou: Subterranean Animism

This game has a bit of a personal story in it, for why it resonated so strongly with me. Around a decade ago, I played a lot of Touhou. But, ultimately, despite all the hours I dumped into them, I never completed a single one. I would always get a game over and need to continue (thus depriving myself of the true ending) at some point before the end. When I played a Touhou fangame this year (coming up further down this list!), it reminded me how much I enjoyed them, and I swore to myself that this time, I would buckle down and finally beat one of the drat games. I picked Subterranean Animism because my favorite character was in it. Little did I know that it has a reputation as the second hardest Touhou game, by a pretty wide margin, and the series is never easy to begin with. Brimming with pride, I set the goal to complete the game without continues on normal difficulty, deeming easy to be beneath my ambitions.

It was brutal. It's a game that takes around 5 minutes per stage, and only has six stages. It took me 20 hours of dying, over and over and over, to achieve my goal. I didn't keep records of how many attempts I made--I just checked my playtime on steam when I was done--but that's a lot of dying. I spent hours despairing over whether I was even capable of it. I spent hours dying to easy stuff that I thought I had mastered already. But ultimately I pushed through, and got my clear. The feeling was ecstatic. And that's why it's on my list.

6. Desperados 3

I don't think any screenshot can really capture what Desperados 3 is really like, unfortunately

I learned about this game in last year's goty thread. When it went on sale, I bought it, and it was really good! It's a top-down stealth game where you control multiple characters and have a number of cooldown abilities you can use to try to distract, move, kill, or otherwise deal with the numerous guards in your path. It sort of feels like untying a knot, where at first it feels so solid that you can't imagine how you could possibly make headway, but you slowly, bit by bit, find openings and cracks and pull it apart, until you're through and onto the next knot. But the entire thing is just executed nearly flawlessly, with a ton of bonus objectives to insert a bit more challenge into maps you've already completed. Just a great game.

5. Labyrinth of Touhou - Gensokyo and the Heaven Piercing Tree

This game is a pure dungeon crawler, in the vein of things like Etrian Odyssey. It's extremely punishing, often confusing, and very rewarding. The big innovation in this game is that, rather than giving the player strong character customization options, it instead gives you 40 characters, each with relatively constrained customization. So the game is absolutely not afraid to tell you that the party you brought is not up to the task of this latest boss, and to go try again. Whereas in another game, that might mean a bunch of grinding to set up a new character build, in this one, it just means swapping which characters you have deployed. It's a great system, with a surprising amount of depth. One of the characters who I dumped early on, basically as soon as I had enough party members to dump anyone, ended up playing an absolutely crucial, irreplaceable role against the final boss. But none of it is signposted or made evident to the player. You have no choice but to use your brain to figure out who is good in which fights, and struggle through and figure it out for yourself. Toss in nice looking art and you have an all-around excellent game for any fans of difficult RPGs. Just don't do the postgame, it replaces all the depth with mindless grinding.

4. Fire Emblem 6: Project Ember
https://i.imgur.com/B5ju56b.mp4

Project Ember is a romhack of Fire Emblem: Binding Blade, a game which was never officially released in English. It changes a lot of the game, and overall, I feel, produces the single-best retro-style Fire Emblem game I've played. It refocuses the gameplay from cutting through hordes of weak enemies, to rewarding (or requiring) combining your forces to aggressively defeat powerful enemies who are more than a match for you one on one. It's not afraid of giving you extremely powerful toys, but structures itself in a way that demands you use them. It's a love letter to what Fire Emblem used to be, made by people who truly understand what made those games special.

3. Shin Megami Tensei: Nocturne
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O3PujvkIZug

I played three SMT games this year. And Nocturne, despite being the oldest, is still the best. Press turns and demon fusion are the same in all three, but Nocturne just nails the atmosphere and minimalistic storytelling in a way SMT5 can't quite manage. And as much fun as it is to abuse all the ways you have to make demons powerful in SMT5, it does end up making you too powerful, if you use them to their fullest. Nocturne doesn't have any of that. If you want a strong demon, you have to fuse it the hard way. This ends up meaning that your team is always kind of janky, and results in more nailbiter boss fights over the course of the game, which is when SMT is at its strongest. Plus, I like the random encounters. It means that things like MP efficiency matter, and you need to balance your skill slots between skills good for mobs and skills good for bosses. And the game is just gorgeous for a PS2 game. Cannot recommend highly enough for fans of difficult RPGs.

2. Final Fantasy XIV: Endwalker

Numbers nine through three on my list are all selected for their gameplay. They're all hard games that demand a lot of their player, with the reward being that final moment of victory. My top two are not in that vein. Endwalker will be, eventually, but the difficult content isn't out yet and won't be until January. For now, it is an easy game. The reason it's in my list is its incredible emotional impact on me. The culmination of ten years of story, which I've been a part of for nearly eight years. And incredible tour de force that had me crying, laughing, and smiling till my face hurt. It's all too common for fantasy stories with strong emotional cores to be kind of lackluster on the actual fantasy story side; i.e., the story would be boring if it were stripped of the emotions and just left with the bare facts. Not so Endwalker. Not only is it incredibly moving, it's just chock-full of moments that are cool as poo poo from the perspective of pure fantasy. The only complaints I have is that there's a few moments where the pacing kind of drags, and a few moments that reveal minor plotholes if you spend all week posting about them on internet message boards. The game is unabashedly about something in a way few AAA video games are. And that core message resonates through every scene to incredible effect. And it isn't even pulled out of nowhere for the finale! This is technically spoilers so I'll use tags, but it's completely fine to click if you aren't like, right in the middle of endwalker right now.

Nine years ago, when the 1.0 servers were shut down, the cinematic that played had a song called Answers. Answers is a song about how you deal with tragedy. One lyric that has always stuck with me is "Tell me why, given life, we are meant to die, helpless in our cries?" Endwalker makes that question, or one very much like it, its emotional core. Given that life is full of suffering and in the end you die, why live at all? And I cannot find a single fault in how it explores or answers that question. A truly inspiring story that, along with Shadowbringers, will last the test of time. I only hope Square-Enix gives it the FF7R treatment some day, so it can be freed from its MMO shackles.

1. Blue Reflection: Second Light
https://twitter.com/c7071screenshot/status/1465212818978836481
Hand-holding algorithms! The AI-controlled character realizes she's about to crash into a wall, lets go of my hand, follows for a moment, and sees her opportunity and runs ahead, to hold my other hand. Truly the future of gaming is now.

Blue Reflection 2 is a game I played on a whim. I had finished SMT5, and had about a week and a half until Endwalker came out. I wanted to play a new game in that time, and people in the RPG thread had been talking it up. My expectations weren't super high, because Blue Reflection 1 kind of sucked, but the posters assured me that this one was a lot better. So, I played it. And I am absolutely glad that I did. It's a game like no other I've played. Like Endwalker, this game is on my list for the emotional impact the story had on me, rather than for being the best gameplay ever, but hoo boy did it have an emotional impact on me. It's a surprisingly domestic game, said without a hint of derision. Most of the scenes revolve around cooking, or improving your living space, or just hanging out with your friends--the ordinary day-to-day things that most people spend most of their time doing. They do these things by transforming into magical girls and hunting demons of course, but there's gotta be that fantastic element somewhere. Like Endwalker, it's unabashedly emotional. If you just examine the raw plot points, basically nothing happens all game. The game is entirely about the feelings of its characters. As a flirty goofball of a girl, you make friends with the other girls, share happy moments with them, lend them a shoulder when they need it, and enjoy a quiet summer vacation with them. It's sort of hard to express what exactly makes it work so well, because I don't think it's any single thing. The setting, the tone, the writing, the characters, the music, they all come together into a cohesive whole that is far greater than the sum of their parts. And it doesn't hurt that Ao Shinozaki is my absolute favorite character of 2021.

I said earlier in my list that I'd come back to modern Gust games later. Well, here it is. Here's a game, made by Gust this year, that can stand proudly with the PS3 Atelier games. I was wrong. Gust still does absolutely have the capacity to blow me away. Blue Reflection: Second Light is my goty, and I look forward to what Gust can put out in the years to come.

Also it's gay as poo poo if that's something that's important to you.

cheetah7071 fucked around with this message at 04:52 on Dec 25, 2021

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
I'm loving passed at the tyranny of base ten for meaning I didn't give gnosia any points

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice

punk rebel ecks posted:

I've noticed a lack of Shin Megami Tensei V on lists or in the top 5. Maybe I'm not the only one who, despite being a long time fan, wasn't "feeling it"?

It's been on a reasonable number of lists for being a somewhat niche title

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
there's sort of two players to account for here: the xiv lifers, for whom shadowbringers in 2021 and endwalker in 2021 are quite different experiences (one being endgame stuff and the other being the main story), and the new players, for whom it's all just sort of one long continuous game

if someone ranks it as just ffxiv I'd probably count that as endwalker

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice

Regy Rusty posted:

According to my research, they were counted separately in 2019 (which, to be fair, was also the last year an expansion came out) but in 2020 only Final Fantasy XIV as a whole was included.

I voted for Heavensward last year (playing it on NG+) and it didn't make top ten but it did get counted in the trailing entries at the bottom

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice

Play posted:

you have no one to blame but yourselves for splitting the vote :colbert:

joke's on you I just put both shadowbringers and endwalker in my top ten

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice

I was misremembering, Heavensward was my number 15 last year so I didn't post about it. Thanks for the correction

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
Probably, it's always been the case that Rarity has split ffxiv, but VG, not being Rarity, did something different last year

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
basically it's all rarity's fault

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice

Jay Rust posted:

each ffxiv entry should specify exactly which content patch they’re voting for

oh that'll let me fill out my post to be a top 20

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
I'd rather blame rarity

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
thank you for reminding me I've been meaning to read house in fata morgana for a while

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
I mentioned this a few pages back, but I think that argument only works for new players. For established players, they feel far more like sequels than a single continuous experience

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
my gaming year was very exciting

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
I just realized that I was misremembering the ffxiv patch schedule and my shb ranking was falsely including 2020 memories. 2021 was a lot worse for shb than 2020, and I have adjusted my list accordingly. Please update your tally rarity, and everyone congratulate gnosia on making it into my top ten

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice

Sir Dingleby Dapper posted:

The fact that an expansion to an MMO is gonna win 1st place should say a lot about how mediocre this year has been for new games.

this is a thread for enjoying video games, not being mad at what other people enjoyed

Perhaps you might find some games this year you missed and might enjoy from the plentiful listings in peoples top tens?

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice

Barudak posted:

Everybody skips to #1, the order you put them in is irrelevant

I read them in order

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
do not play bravely default 2 though

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
2021 is the year of touhou

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
I played a ton of amazing games that came out this year

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
as were video games, as evidenced by all the people gushingly posting about games that came out this year, far too many to contain in a single top ten

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice

Endorph posted:

nah 2021 was fine, a lot of good stuff came out this year. like blue reflection, second light.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
goty to the polls

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
AA and high-production value indies own

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
After being encouraged by a few of the goty posters here, I played The House at Fata Morgana and while it's slipping in at number 11 because 2021 was a great year, I wrote a top 17 this year so I still get to post about it. I'll edit it into my main list when I'm not on mobile, but for now:

11. The House at Fata Morgana

This is a visual novel, that is, a book with a soundtrack which gets classified as a video game because it's software instead of physical media. But, as long as that's the case, I will rank it alongside other games. It's a story about absolute misery, depression and despair. A story where almost nothing good happens to anyone, and every time it does, it's yanked away moments later. Almost every way one human can be cruel or malicious to another is depicted at least once. And yet, in the end, ultimately, it's a story about not letting your tragedies define you. Not about forgiving, per se, but moving on and achieving mastery over your abusers by not letting them ruin your life. If that sounds like a story that would resonate with you--and you can stand to see the prerequisite abuse depicted intensely--I cannot recommend it enough. I'm lucky enough to not have the story resonate with my personal experiences, so it's down here at number 11 on my list. Buy it absolutely has the potential to be number one for somebody else, and if that sounds like you I highly recommend it.

It does occasionally veer into the clichéd and trite, and unfortunately the first few hours spend a lot of time in that territory. But if this description sounds worthwhile, please push past that to at least the end of the second door.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
you can edit your list, as long as you make a post aying so so rarity knows to update her tallies

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice

exquisite tea posted:

Biggest hipster award has to be curved by release year though, you can’t just miss with a list of games all from the 1990s.

rarity explicitly makes that category so she has an excuse to give herself a medal every year

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
Whether or not it's fine to respond with "I don't want MMO bullshit" with "but this game has less mmo bullshit than its main direct competitor", it would be nicer if this thread wasn't page after page of it, and focused on the lists

cheetah7071 fucked around with this message at 06:55 on Dec 31, 2021

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
the castle was perfect, but the final dungeon should have been like the castle, but longer and harder

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
this is a thread for positivity

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice

Ostentatious posted:

My game of the years:

1. Fallout 76 - it’s a lot of fun and the only massively multiplayer game that grabbed me at all. It’s my favorite fallout of all time.
2. RuneScape
3. SMT5
4. Cruelty Squad - the best game of this year I just enjoyed fallout 76 more as a whole package and what it offered

your list isn't gonna be counted unless it has at least 5 games and you say something about all of them

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
Blue Reflection 2 is the best slow paced character game this year

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
link

Big ffxiv spoilers in the thumbail but any non-players sould feel free to click for the music

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice

Harrow posted:

Do you need to play the first game first or are they not direct sequels

I highly ecommend not playing the first game cause it sucks

it's a continuation of the same universe but I wouldn't describe it as a sequel in any meaningful sense

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
April is Atelier Sophie, as rarity's proof that she does care

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tcaO4SpX6Mg

Honestly I could pick any blue reflection 2 song and it'd be both good to listen to and remind me of an Emotion

This song isn't necessarily the best of the ost to just listen to by itself (though it's still good), but it's the one whose emotional baggage is at the core of what makes the game so special. When I hear this song, I think of the characters just hanging out in the summer sun, maybe lazily thinking up some future plans. Just talking, maybe flirting a bit, being teenagers enjoying their summer break

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
gameplay is fun, but isn't why it was my number 2. Shadowbringers made it into my top te last year entirely on the basis of gameplay

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
Hurry the gently caress up and start counting down rarity I'm beggin ya