Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Erwin the German
May 30, 2011

:3
sure are some good and cool games here, h-heh

Erwin the German fucked around with this message at 15:37 on Dec 15, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Erwin the German
May 30, 2011

Rarity posted:

Remember friends, your list must include at least 5 games to be eligible :siren:

Very well, the Twin List has been updated.

Erwin the German
May 30, 2011

Regy Rusty posted:

You gotta admit it's a pretty good racket. You sure my "twin" can't vote this year too?

Those rubes over at GameFAQs were always fooled, why not here? :smuggo:

Rarity posted:

You can't submit two lists!

Very well - count the first one then. I don't wanna spend another ten dollars for this lol

Erwin the German
May 30, 2011

Return of the old list, now that my shiftless lout of a brother has been sufficiently shamed into spending money on a dead gay comedy forum so he can post his favorite 2021 games in good conscience. This has been a highly embarrassing experience for us both, so I hope you're all very happy.

8. Valheim

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3Ys7DG8ecAI

Valheim’s one of those games where you sink an absolutely ridiculous amount of hours into it in a week and then don’t touch it again for months. For me, it’s been a steady eight or so months since I last played it, but I’ve obviously got good memories of that time - making cute viking bases with friends, appreciating the deceptively simple, yet gorgeous graphics, and the depth of its systems and exploration. I get really into the weeds when it comes to providing for those bases - going out and collecting resources everyone needs, going hunting for food, finding new dungeons to explore together. Miss me with that building stuff, I’m middling at best, but I love to go out and kill things, find hidden fun stuff and more. A lovely little game, and its time in the limelight was well-deserved. I’ll return some day once it’s more complete.

7. RimWorld (Ideology)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lq9IHHkeOM4

Pretty sure I had RimWorld on my list last year? Here it is again, if so. Ideology was a massive and much-appreciated addition to the formula, which is as compelling and engrossing as usual. Ideology lets you get real granular with how you run your colony though, adding a generous amount of customization in terms of aesthetics, play style, goals and so on. If you like to roleplay your colonies instead of being some sort of maximum efficiency sicko, Ideology is basically a required pick-up. Do you like trees? Your colony can really like trees. Do you like being a cannibal? Your colony can really like cannibalism. How about drugs? Your colony can really like drugs. So on and so forth, if it’s a thing in Rimworld, chances are good you can make it central to your next colony and have a fun, novel time of it.

6. Deathloop

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VFR5G42WRvg

Here’s where I started struggling where to rank things, but while Deathloop is a great game, one I was looking forward to a lot, it’s just not as good as other things I played this year. That doesn’t make it bad, though, just not as good as I wanted it to be. Deathloop’s core conceit for me is, what if the game forced me to not save scum and let me play Dishonored without worrying about bad boy points? Turns out it’s a pretty good time, one that makes you own up to your mistakes and roll with them, which is a lot of fun in an immersive sim. The story is fun and compelling for a lot of reasons, most of which I won’t get into - unraveling the mystery over the various loops feels really satisfying. However, there’s a lot of problems - enemy AI is really, uh, bad. Weapon variety isn’t much to write home about, and the powers are pretty serviceable and good enough. Lastly, for an immersive sim, it sure wants you to accomplish your core objectives in a very rigid way. How you accomplish those objectives is of course a matter of personal playstyle, but there’s only so much you can do.

These are all mostly what amount to nitpicking, though. Deathloop’s pretty fun and good, and its soundtrack slaps.

5. Ghost of Tsushima: Iki Island

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nsk0FeKR9q0

Ghost was on my last list, and here it is again, but the DLC this time. I still really enjoy the combat, music, acting and story of this game, and the DLC only further emphasized pretty much all of those things. I played this one with Japanese dubbing, and it was a solid time - the Iki island story compliments the main game very well with a lot of its story beats and underlying themes. Still a deceptively smart and well-written game for all of its samurai flick tropes, which it executes lovingly as always. Gorgeous to look at, too. It’s more of the same, with some fun new add-ons, and a storyline that’s actually worth exploring as an expansion to the main plot. Basically all I ask for from a DLC.

You can also pet animals after playing the flute for them. This is the main reason why you should play it.

4. Barotrauma

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JPaQmwQoEoY

Much like Hunt from last year, Barotrauma is a game I played a lot of with my circle of friends, and it’s a pretty unique and addicting experience in that regard. It’s often described as Space Station 13 in the ocean, which is accurate enough, if you added a good amount of FTL into the mix for its campaign mode. Working together to keep the sub running is surprisingly fun and doesn’t get boring or old for me, despite playing as the mechanic, someone who doesn’t often shoot at awful sea monsters - keeping the sub going is a challenge in itself sometimes, and when things go bad, they go exquisitely bad. Playing this with a good and focused group is a great experience, and there’s a good chunk of variety in the missions you’ll do, often inviting catastrophe from some lurking presence just out of sight. Despite the inherently isolating experience of running a submarine on an alien moon full of horrors, it’s hard to feel especially alone when you’re goofing off with your friends, even when said sub is rapidly sinking.

3. Deltarune

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uiou1f5nzlU

I replayed chapter 1 this year in preparation for 2, which I played immediately after, and I’m glad I did. Even unfinished, Deltarune is a wonderful and affecting story, full of characters with a lot of heart and earnestness to them. The music is as good as it’s ever been, it’s still got that same brand of humor, the art has only gotten better from Undertale, it’s basically as good as its predecessor, just with the caveat that it’s not a finished story. What’s here is well-worth playing right now, though. It’s never really a question of whether I’ll enjoy these games or not at this point, it’s just good stuff all around. Toby Fox knows his poo poo, and his success is pretty well-deserved.

2. Disco Elysium: The Final Cut

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d2hUbafQCII

Replayed it when the Final Cut came out, as promised last year - the game is still excellent, and even better with full voice acting and expanded content. This is the bar against which I measure other games’ story and dialogue. A legendary feat of performance from Lenval Brown, who voices all of the deranged opinions and skills in your detective’s noggin, but I’d be very remiss not to also mention Jullian Champenois, who plays the wonderful anchor to your madness, Kim Kitsuragi. Still the most earnest, affecting and well-written game in a very long time.

1. Final Fantasy 14: Endwalker

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FXYUjJrGMjA

Okay, so I’m cheating a bit here, since I’m not actually quite done with the main story, but I’m pretty much into the good stuff by now. And the stuff is very good. FF14 was my number one last year and that hasn’t changed - it’s downright shameful how excited I am to get through this story on any given day, the culmination of hours upon hours of time spent with these characters and in this world. The ultimate pay-off is yet to come, and if what I’ve played through is any indication, it’ll be every bit as joyful and emotionally devastating as I want it to be. This is the first expansion I’ve gotten to play concurrently with my friends too, and that’s a special joy in itself - to ponder over where the plot will go next and ruminate on new revelations. Its popularity is well-earned, much as we all might loathe the ridiculous queue and hair-pulling errors that shunt us out of it. Stick with it, folks.

Music’s amazing all around, the new class changes are, for the most part, very welcome, the new areas are lovingly designed, boss fights and dungeons are appropriately spectacular. Time will tell if I end up preferring this to Shadowbringers, but so far things are looking very up. No other game made me more excited to play it this year.

Edit: I have finished Endwalker! It's good! Really good! Number one good!

Erwin the German fucked around with this message at 09:31 on Dec 19, 2021

Erwin the German
May 30, 2011

mine get to be rated higher since i had to make the edit :colbert:

Erwin the German
May 30, 2011

Gotta say, I'm with you on having liked Mooncrash more than Deathloop. Prey itself was a ton of fun as well, but Mooncrash just really distilled the formula into a great gameplay loop.

Erwin the German
May 30, 2011

I have finished Endwalker, so now I can no longer feel bad about putting it at my number one, cause it more than deserves it.

Erwin the German
May 30, 2011

very silly sentiment, but let's keep this to people posting about games they liked rather than stuff they didn't.

Erwin the German
May 30, 2011

proud of you buddy, and of your game choices too

Erwin the German
May 30, 2011

Love Stole the Day posted:

list]
[*]2 Disco Elysium - astonishingly creative, well-thought-out writing, and the art is great. What's not to love? sorry this didn't come out in 2021 so it's not fair to include it
[/list]

Incorrect! So long as you played it this year, you can include it. If it was up there in your favorites of this year of playing video games, it counts.

Erwin the German
May 30, 2011

Thanks you guys for putting this show on.

Erwin the German
May 30, 2011

:sickos:

Erwin the German
May 30, 2011

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NBIRYjP1NNM

It's been a lovely thread.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Erwin the German
May 30, 2011

gently caress me up with that probe

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)