Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

cheetah7071 posted:

For anyone having trouble ranking, but who does have a list of games they played, here's a tool to help you out:

https://rankingengine.pubmeeple.com/

put this in the OP, it was very helpful

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

Mass Effect 1-3 also tell a single complete story... the story of Shepard, alien fucker

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

Griftlands ✋😤
Hitmans ✌️🥰

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

10. Shin Megami Tensei III: Nocturne
One the most atmospheric JRPGs I’ve played, with some of the strongest combat and party mechanics to boot. Hurt by a few too many generic “puzzle” dungeons (specifically trial and error “puzzles”) and unavoidable random encounters. Still a very cool, very memorable game, propelled by a premise I haven’t seen done very often: “What if we destroyed the entire world in the first twenty minutes of the game?” (Though by “entire world” it really just means “Tokyo”, the rest of the planet isn’t brought up :shrug:)

9. Baldur’s Gate: Enhanced Edition
An early example of a real-time-with-pause adaptation of Dungeons & Dragons, and somehow still one of the best. So much mod support, too, and it deftly avoids the one thing most mods can’t fix by having excellent writing from the start. I keep getting the idea that I’ll complete a full BG-BG2-Throne of Bhaal every year, though sadly my restartitis keeps kicking in and I end up burning out.

8. Cultist Simulator
As I understand it, this game shares some DNA with Fallen London / Sunless Sea / Sunless Skies, and boy does it show it. Plays mostly like a clicker game, honestly, with copious amounts of resource management, all of which is framed by an expansive Lovecraftian universe that doles out proper nouns like candy. But it’s all very evocative, and unlike most Lovecraft-style writing, it maintains a wry and confident tone throughout. Still, it involves lots and lots of waiting for tasks to complete, which I might be alone in being 100% okay with, because I always found myself transfixed by the atmosphere the game emits.

7. Divinity: Original Sin 2
Featuring my favourite turn-based RPG combat of all time, with the help of a friend I played it to completion for the first time after several false starts. Granted, I had trouble following the story because there is a lot of text, and for me, playing this co-op meant I always felt like someone was reading over my shoulder and I had to skim more than I wanted. But it was worth it, because combat and some non-combat encounters were just so, so much fun. I have a few nits to pick with the inventory and itemization systems, which sometimes made things tedious or frustrating, but overall, I had a blast with this game.

6. Valheim
Another co-op champion. Some grindy resource acquisitions aside, Valheim hit the perfect balance between exploration and crafting. It’s a simple enough circuit: explore and gather the materials needed to craft the equipment needed to defeat a boss who’ll then drop the key to the next tier of materials, repeat. And nothing beats planning out an expedition across the sea with my best pal, equipped with only as much as we need, finding new biomes and fighting new monsters along the way, filling our pockets with ore and other ingredients, then sailing back home in triumph, ready for another bout of figuring out what new cool things we can craft with what we’ve gathered.

5. Europa Universalis 4: Anbennar
I’m mostly a PC gamer, and I’m not shy about using mods to supplement the games I play. Anbennar, a total conversion mod for the grand strategy game Europa Universalis 4, is easily one of the most extraordinary mods I’ve ever seen. It’s still a work in progress, but the depth and breadth of what’s there is already astounding. It introduces a moderately generic medieval fantasy, but with an eye towards the political, and in so doing it all feels very believable, even realistic. The world is huge, and there are entire continents full of nations with unique mechanics I haven’t dipped my toe in. It’s a much more guided experience than vanilla Europa Universalis, and consequently more interested in telling a particular story with each playthrough, which suits me perfectly. The best part is, it recognizes that the base game already has really good mechanics, and so it doesn’t go out of its way to “fix” any of it. Any Europa Universalis player will feel right at home… once they internalize the new fantasy place names.

Posting energy is drained

4. Sekiro: Shadows Die Twice
I loved every fromsoft game I’ve played, all of them. Even the badder ones that goons complain about. Yet I sat on Sekiro because it seemed parry-based and I can’t parry in souls games. Luckily someone told me “actually john sekiro’s sword is the best shield in any From game” and that unlocked it for me. Thank you to whoever said that, I’m sorry I can’t remember. Caveat: I cheated myself and failed to grow/learn by getting a mod that halves the last boss’s damage because I was getting owned and also getting tired of getting owned

3. Total War: Warhammer 2
Warhammer means nothing to me but this game is super cool, I’ll never be good at it but I’m good enough to win most fights versus the AI and it’s fun!

2. Hades
Winner of last year’s GotY thread and also recommended to me by my girl gamer cousin, I hesitated because while I admire Supergiant I’ve never loved them. UNTIL NOW

1. Hitman 3
Favourite game in my favourite “thrillogy”, every map a hit, every run a joy, surprisingly affecting story stuff, very humourous, 47 is such a fun character, I loving love this game

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

Each expac is like a 60h game

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

each ffxiv entry should specify exactly which content patch they’re voting for

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

So that ff14 places lower?

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

I think even if FFXIV was counted as a single entry, most people voting for it would always be referring only to the latest expac anyway

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

If you start now and make it your full-time job, you can finish all of the expansions in like, not even two months!

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

You know, I had always assumed Life Is Strange was an adventure game in the Telltale mode, sounds like it’s more than that though!

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

I suppose I did consciously spend less money on entertainment this year than I would normally, one good thing about 2021 is that pre-2021 games also exist for poors like me

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

For every typo in your post one of your top tens gets ignored, starting with your #10. So at ten typos, sorry, you wasted your time (and our time)

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

gonna right-click all of those pics

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

Forgotten lovely, would NOT be how I describe Forgotten City, it’s a neat game and I’m happy it made people’s lists even if it didn’t quite make mine

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

2021 was the year of the games, according to the gamer calendar. 2022 is too, incidentally

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

homeless snail posted:

in conclusion, 2021 was a powerful year for video games, and just go ahead and give the award to Endwalker, no need to count votes

Sadly ffxiv is not a game, it’s an mmorpg (the “g” in “mmorpg” stands for “groin”)

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

We finally found the WoW killer... WoW

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

Thank u looper for the new desktop background

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

I can’t remember, how long does it generally take to tally up the votes?

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

Rarity posted:

I already have all the votes tallied. I'll let everyone know when to expect the results after I've spoken to Veeg

I’m super looking forward to it!!

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

5. Final fantasy IX: fun characters and beautiful environments, I love rat people
4. cooking mama: it taught me about friendship and baking
3. Bowsette party (VR edition): the best and sexiest Mario party game in years
2. Final fantasy viii: sorry I couldn’t remember if 8 or 9 was the one rarity really liked
1. bloodborne: 2020 had like fifteen people voting for bloodborne for some reason

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

and yet, it hardly got any votes in 2019 or 2021, which leads me to believe there was a forumswide conspiracy in 2020 to raise the game’s profile in order to press Sony into releasing it on pc. And it worked: elden ring is coming to PC in 2022

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

Post your favourite 2021 game music!

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SZ5w1ENGiHM

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

Gonna suck when FFXIV loses by one point because YOU didn't enter in time

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

No one seems to talk about the gameplay (I'll be honest I skimmed through every FFXIV write-up )

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

GOTC
GOTY

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

More like asinine 2

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

:f5:

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

Predictions:

1. Endwanker
2. 5hin Megami ten5ei
3. Metroid Dread(ful!)
4. Disco Elysium???

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

What goons will actually say is “the mmo bullshit isn’t that bad”, different gamers will have different tolerances, “[bad thing x] just didn’t bother me” is valid

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

Apart from FFT

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

Every game on someone’s list that I haven’t personally played should be disqualified

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

Did NOT expect Cool Spot to rate that highly this year

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

Thank you Rarity!

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

UNIONIZE

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

taps watch