Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Wittgen
Oct 13, 2012

We have decided to decline your offer of a butt kicking.
9: Devotion
A neat little horror game from Taiwan that isn't particularly scary but does hit hard emotionally.

8: Sakuna: Of Rice and Ruin
The rice farming minigames are so detailed that it is really satisfying when you start doing well at them. The combat sections are all about flinging enemies into each other and using equipment that is situationally appropriate. The final battle is perhaps the worst designed final battle I have ever seen. It should be used in classes as a lesson on what not to do for your final boss.

7. Golf with your friends
This is just about the perfect game to play with friends when you're really more interesting in hanging out chatting.

6: Cyberpunk 2077
I started playing this a couple weeks ago and am about 40 hours in. When my friends ask me how it is, I make a pained noise and say something conflicted like, "Well it's not good, but it might be kind of great. Maybe." This game tries to do 100 different things. It is 50-90% of the way to greatness for each of those, but this misses put it in an uncanny valley of quality. And everything is so uneven. Some quests have had really great writing that made me laugh or maybe made me feel empty quiet despair. But then some quests are truly pathetic references to other games. It's such a mess.

But driving around Night City? Even with how bad the driving controls feel, driving around and seeing how spectacular Night City is really does feel special.

5: UnearthU
This is a mobile game meditation app that is also a short story criticizing meditation apps. Pretty interesting experience.

4: Inscryption
I think this game is overrated, honestly. It's a good game, but I don't think it's doing anything that I haven't seen done before. It makes the reactions I've seen about it being so mind-blowing a little perplexing. That said, it is doing those things well.

3: Prey
This is basically a bioshock or system shock game, but they did such a bad job of letting people know that I didn't play it until this year. It's very very good. The opening is an all time great video game opening. It so effectively set the tone and the emotions which I should bring to the rest of the game. I'm not sure the rest quite lives up to that opening, but the environment and the systems are so well done that it doesn't matter. Great game.

2: Toki Meki Memorial 2
This game is absolutely nuts. I don't understand the systems at all. (Why do people sometimes spread bad rumors about you? What is the ratio of stat training to going on dates that is "correct?" Why is it sometimes a jrpg?) It's so funny and charming and reactive, though, that it was a real joy to play.

1: Psychonauts 2
The original Psychonauts is one of my favorite games ever, and I had some trepidation about Double Fine revisiting it so many years later. Turns out the sequel is even better. It's a true masterpiece that does level design as storytelling in a way that is more literal and also better than just about any other game.

I played some Jupiter Hell, Teardown, Umurangi Generation, and Oxygen Not Included this year, but not enough to know where I would put them on a list like this.

Wittgen fucked around with this message at 08:34 on Dec 31, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wittgen
Oct 13, 2012

Rarity posted:

Is this a video game or literally just playing golf with your friends?

Haha, it's a video game.

Wittgen
Oct 13, 2012

Nice.

I got Neverhood after seeing it recommended in this thread. Really enjoying it so far. The frantic dodging of the combat is really exhilarating, and the music slaps.

Wittgen
Oct 13, 2012

If Metroid dread loses because I forgot to put it on my top ten, boy will I have egg on my face.

Wittgen
Oct 13, 2012

I think it's very interesting that FFXIV was basically either not on your list or it was number one on your list.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wittgen
Oct 13, 2012

My 2020 list was
10-Hollow Knight
9-Frog Fractions 3
8-Carrion
7-Timespinner
6-Spelunky 2
5-Horizon's Gate
4-Control
3-Disco Elysium
2-Animal Crossing: New Horizons
1-Hades

If I were to order these 10 games now, I think I would move up Hollow knight, and move down Carrion and Time Spinner. All three are metroidvanias, but Carrion and Time Spinner are the shorter, punchier experiences. Hollow Knight is a bit more sprawling than it really needs to be in my opinion, but it does linger better in my mind and so probably deserves the higher spot.

I would also probably switch Disco Elysium and Animal Crossing. It's been a year since I visited my island and I've basically never thought about it if someone else didn't bring it up. Didn't even seriously consider revisiting after the big content patch. Meanwhile, it's been more than a year since I've visited Revachol and I think about it at least once a month.