Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Morphogenic96
Oct 30, 2013

EightFlyingCars posted:

that's a good-rear end OP

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Morphogenic96
Oct 30, 2013

There you go

Honurable Mentions

Slay the Spire mods: As of writing, there are 171 Character mods, all with their own interesting ideas.
Tales of Arise – Just missed the list. I had fun with it even if objectively it had a bunch of flaws.

10. Super Robot Wars 30

One step forward and one step back in this entry; the non linear mission selection, the fact that there are a ton of missions and the many upgrade systems are nice but they do result in the game feeling a bit bloated and a cakewalk after the first few missions. Still it’s good old SRW with tons of awesomely animated mecha goodness.

9. Unreal life

A surreal doujin pixel adventure game. Something about the atmosphere and ambience throughout the game really sells that quiet yet surreal night vibe like a dreamlike 3am walk.

8. The Sekimeiya: Spun Glass

A ridiculously complicated mystery with by far the most complex use of time travel I’ve seen and it’s great fun trying to constantly figure out what the hell is going on. Despite being a VN, the story itself is challenging enough that it could qualify as a puzzle game, especially with the optional quiz at the end.

7. Griftlands

A roguelike deckbuilder but with a story with each run managing to feel a little like a mini rpg. It’s actually pulled off fairly well and even if each story does get a bit old after a few runs, there’s 3 different characters with their own decks and stories and that resuts in a good 20 hours playtime already. The gameplay itself is classic roguelike deckbuilder goodness with the interesting twist of having a separate battle deck and a negotiation deck.

6. Fuga: Melodies of Steel

Surprisingly under the radar for AA sequel to a cult classic that reviewed well. Story’s a pretty touching plucky furry kids and their giant tank versus the not-Nazis and it manages some pretty touching moments. Battle’s are a pretty unique affair, with the Grandia style turn based with a timeline system and also involves constantly swapping your 12 large party in and out as the situation requires, and is actually balanced fairly well with each kid having their own definitive niche. Alternates with some light sim elements where you get members of your party to make friends for better passives and cute support events.

5. Nier Replicant ver 1.22...

Gameplay’s pretty generic ARPG stuff, there is a lot of time spent doing frankly generic JRPG sidequests and it’s got a serious problem with needing to replay parts several times to get to the true ending. Still there’s a reason the original got to be a cult classic when it’s issues were presumably far worse. It’s got some neat moments where the genre shifts temporarily, the grand twist, while pretty well known nowadays, is still an interesting re-contextualization of the plot and most importantly the characters still shine through. There’s just something that feels so raw and pure about them and it makes the various endings and especially the true ending hit really hard with the most memorable ending of anything I’ve played this year.

4. OMORI

A story of fear and tragedy and trauma but with a core of hope buried deep within. It does initially seem a bit predictable tale of working though grief but it was still well done enough to keep playing and then it when the true twist is revealed, it actually did surprise me. Gameplay isn’t exactly tactically deep but it works very well at integrating with the story.

3. The Great Ace Attorney Chronicles

The pinnacle of Ace Attorney. A new immersive Victorian Britain setting, a fresh take on some of the classic ace attorney tropes, an epic storyline that builds up and culminates over 10 chapters and a great cast of characters, with the family like grouping of Iris, Susato, Ryunosuke and Herlock being a great core cast, altogether makes for a fantastic game.

2. Yakuza: Like a Dragon

After the unimpressive Yakuza Kiwami 1 and 2 , this brought me back to the time I played Yakuza 0 and even surpassed it. The fights are now turn based JRPG battles which has some rough edges but it's a decent take for a first try and by far an improvement over the previous brawling system and it does lead to some hilarity like just hitting the big chapter boss in the face with cake or calling a satellite cannon down on a mook. The story is where this shines being a fun romp following a goof ball outcast of society making friends with other outcasts on his quest for information. It’s got a lot of heart and the scenes at the climax were breathtaking with a performance (English dub, so sue me) good enough to make me tear up.

1. Library of Ruina

Gameplay’s a card battler (notably not a roguelike) and while a bit complicated, it’s got quite a bit of depth with a lot of room for building broken strategies to use against increasingly complex and challenging enemies. While the prequel Lobotomy Corp only hinted at the world outside, this shows it in all its absurd capitalist dystopian glory with death squads, cannibalism, soulless corporations, horrifying monsters and worst of all a resigned acceptance from its inhabitants being just another day in the City. There’s also a strong dark but not nihilistic story on top of this. It has the most banging soundtrack of any game I’ve ever played with a mix of fast paced symphonic tracks that evolve as the fight progresses and that exude emotion. This goes double for the climax bosses some of whom even get vocal songs and combined with the way their mechanics resonate with their character and story, it makes every one of them an utterly awesome experience to fight.

Morphogenic96 fucked around with this message at 17:03 on Dec 15, 2021

Morphogenic96
Oct 30, 2013

I'll admit to not having done an in depth investigation as to the the validity of the term but as far as I'm aware Solatorobo sold terribly but was well liked enough to try and create a sequel which is near enough.

Morphogenic96
Oct 30, 2013

Man, nobody capitilizes OMORI properly

Morphogenic96
Oct 30, 2013

I remember being so jealous last year that a game that was so my jam was stuck on the PS4 but this time round I've only anticipation. 4 more months.