Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Metis of the Chat Thread
Aug 1, 2014

1. Death Stranding

Hey Sam,

Remember me? It’s Metis Hallway-woman. Thanks for that PS4 you delivered the other day. May not seem like much, but that one package really made a difference in my life. 👍👍👍

These last couple years have been tough. Staying indoors, not seeing family and friends. Bet you’ve heard that from a lot of people, huh? Yeah, I’m not claiming to be unique. Just another lonely soul in this age of isolation. 😟

But then I found something that lifted my spirits – boosted my oxytocin, so to speak. A strand that connected me to my sister, to distant friends, to complete strangers all over the world. It was the tale of ‘The Great Deliverer’. Heard of him? 😂

For the first six months of this year, this story brought me and my sister together. See, she lived alone, and ‘The Great Deliverer’ gave me the excuse to visit her – so I could use her PS4. Sure, we didn’t talk about much, but just existing in the same space was a novelty after last year. But then, the next wave hit, and it was back to being locked down. 🤐🔒

I missed that story, though, and the connections I’d built through it. I missed telling my friends about the new path the Deliverer had walked, or the bridges he had built. We shared joy in recounting his deeds to each other, but after a while that wasn’t enough. I needed to experience it again, first-hand. I tell ya, I was this close to becoming a MULE!

But that’s where you come in, Sam. You brought me this PS4, and you let me meet ‘The Great Deliverer’ one more time. Just like you, I’ll keep on keepin’ on.

2. The Great Ace Attorney

They even put Australians in Ace Attorney.

They did it! They really did it! They brought the Great Ace Attorney to the rest of the world! It’s even better than I could have imagined. The characters are some of the best in the entire series (Susato in particular is wonderful), and the new twists on the gameplay feel so natural that by the end I could hardly imagine how past games ever functioned without them.

The game’s story is so packed that I had to take a break between the two games, but I’m looking forward to picking back up in 2022.

Note to Rarity: This entry is only for the first game, not the second, and not the bundle.

3. 13 Sentinels: Aegis Rim

He doesn't deserve you, Miwako!

The Terminator + ET + The Girl Who Leapt Through Time + Philip K Dick + Madoka + way way way more influences than I recognise & can name = one hell of a sci-fi rollercoaster. The narrative structure is ingenious, and genuinely the kind of story that can only be told as a video game. Trying to figure out what the next wild twist would be was insanely fun (I even got some right!) and I loved each and every protagonist, but ESPECIALLY I loved Miwako. Sweet, sweet Miwako.

4. Anodyne 2

This entry is reserved for annoying Stux that I didn’t make Anodyne 2 my number one.

It’s a great game! Short and sweet, with an incredible breadth of gameplay. Every time you get bored of what it’s doing, it changes on you. A very sweet and thoughtful coming-of-age story.

5. New Pokemon Snap

I played the original when I was five, and barely understood the mechanics behind unlocking new areas/poses. Even so, I played it over and over, and I was thrilled to be able to do exactly that once more, with way, way more pokemon. I still haven’t even tried the free update yet!

6. The Good Life

Good:
Button to scream YEAH BABEY!!!
Dogs and cats wearing hats

Bad:
Literally what happened to the central mystery
Why tf are you making me collect all these aluminium cans

This was my first SWERY game and I loved and hated it in equal measures. Great game.

7. Animal Crossing

Really didn’t think I’d come crawling back to this game this past November but Nintendo has me on the hook.

8. Loop Hero

I'm an idle game addict so make one with indie credibility and I am THERE.

9. Garden Story

Bought this after Rune Factory 5’s release date was announced for next year, so I could fill the farm-shaped hole in my heart. Honestly, not much of a farming or gardening game, but very, very cute. Simultaneously, very melancholy! I liked it!

10. Gilmore Girls Fire Emblem

Need I go on?

Metis of the Chat Thread fucked around with this message at 09:46 on Dec 26, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Metis of the Chat Thread
Aug 1, 2014

Relax Or DIE posted:

if we're admitting to goty thread fraud I've been using my alt accounts (wuggles, Rarity, Metis) to submit multiple lists for several years

uh oh, we've been made

Metis of the Chat Thread
Aug 1, 2014

https://twitter.com/marlowedobbe/status/1347428946120347650

This has all the information you need. It is about an hour-long experience, extremely broken, and very stupid fun.

Metis of the Chat Thread
Aug 1, 2014

Chairchucker posted:

Is Michel in it

I played it in January this year which was, of course, a full decade ago so I can't really remember. I don't thiiiink so? Maybe as a cameo but not a playable character.

Metis of the Chat Thread
Aug 1, 2014

FlowerRhythmREMIX posted:

I’m going to be honest, Gilmore Girls Fire Emblem is the most interesting game nominated so far

I'm getting the urge to play it again so I can answer people's questions about it better.

Metis of the Chat Thread
Aug 1, 2014

I'm here!! Just in time for the top fifteen!! Psyched to see Fire Emblem: Gilmore Girls take the top spot!

Metis of the Chat Thread
Aug 1, 2014

I still have one more game from my list left to be announced!

Metis of the Chat Thread
Aug 1, 2014

13 sentinels is a rogue like

Metis of the Chat Thread
Aug 1, 2014

I'm pretty impressed by 7 for an ace attorney game, tbh. And that's all the games in my top ten!

Metis of the Chat Thread
Aug 1, 2014

ah, peace and quiet in the forums now

I couldn't follow the countdown cos I went to get boosted but thank you Rarity and VG for all your work!! What an amazing effort!!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Metis of the Chat Thread
Aug 1, 2014

TheWorldsaStage posted:

Gamestop had a deal on 13 sentinels for 19 bucks so I took that dive. Excited considering the praise it gets, and Cheetoh's percentages say I'll probably like it too!

This is a very good deal!!! For some reason it costs 100 Australian dollars here, although I got it at $45. Bizarrely expensive game.