Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Nina
Oct 9, 2016

Invisible werewolf (entirely visible, not actually a wolf)
10) Heisei Pistol Show

Yeah I'm putting a game here that I experienced through a YouTube playthrough with dubious translation. I discovered Parun's RPG Maker works this year and was blown away by his style of storytelling and black humor. The aesthetics of Pistol Show in particular are phenomenal and I was gripped by it's narrative of a doomed gay kid on a destructive path. This is a work that has an aesthetic so singular it's going to live with me for a while.

9) Flower Sun and Rain

I played FSR as the middle part of my experience playing through Suda's entire Kill the Past catalogue of games and it was a curveball. FSR is out to make you have a miserable time in a way other games often claimed to do this intentionally aren't out to do. Something like Drakengard is out to make you have a bad time because you're playing as bad people. FSR is out to make you have a miserable time because its singular ethos is that work just plain sucks. FSR encapsulates the entire experience of working a monotonous data entry job with such pinpoint precision it shocked me. The protagonists starts out helpful and outgoing, going out of his way to take pride in his job as a finder of things but slowly grows more jaded and lashes out as the game progresses and obnoxious islanders push him into more tedium and menial tasks. You see him grow bitter and tired of the world in tandem with the baffling complexity of the game growing and the experience is unique.

This is low on my list because I'm kinda rating these based on fun, but FSR will live with me for life. gently caress work.

8) Bugsnax

Bugsnax is like a child's toy for me. Playing it makes me stimulated to the point of hypnotic trance. I love it.

7) Hearts of Iron 4 but really just Equestria at War

I just started playing HoI4 because it has an MLP mod. 250 hours later yeah I'm kinda obligated to put it here because I played it for the first time this year. This game is probably bad for me.

6) No More Heroes 3

NMH3 rules. The gameplay is simple but drat fun and kinda the best action game Grasshopper has managed to develop thus far. It warms my heart from a gamedev pov that the stated reason is simply the same gameplay programmer working on Grasshopper for so long he just got really, really good at it. The game in general is a fabulous art project of tantalizing energy levels that remain high throughout the game. I love that it's incomprehensible franchise pastiche with legitimately incredibly high audiovisual artistic merit. It's just a jubilant hyperactive barrage. I loved it when the Silver Case character showed up and basically danced around going "Haha Silver Case Kamui Kamui Kamui" and that was it.

Fu is really cute I would kiss him.

5) The Silver Case & 25th Ward

The Silver Case and its sequel 25th Ward comprise a postmodernist Japanese anthology novel in the style of Murakami and other contemporaries combined with the audiovisual delight of Grasshopper Manufacture. Text-based adventures highlight what phenomenal writers Suda and his co-writer Ooka really are when the story adapted does not have to adhere to the budget limitarions of a visual implemenation. The visual design is sleek and stylish and the stories build dense, complex webs of characters deftly. Despite consisting of about 40 hours of just reading the experience left me with a stimulating storytelling experience unparalleled by most games I play and re-established visual novels as one of my favorite genre of videogame.

4) Hylics

The claymation style of Hylics is simply gorgeous. Sometimes games leave me with the strong desire to create art and Hylics predicated one of my most fruitful bouts of painting in a while when I played it last February. Very excited to play the sequel.

3) Psycholonials

One of the actually quite good works of art springing from digesting 2020 alongside things like Crisis Zone. Hussie's Psycholonials is wildly energetic in a way that took me entirely by surprise. As someone whose entire personality was derailed by 2020 and set on escalating wild tracks the momentum of which I feel to this day the story resonated with me quite a bit. The dive through spiraling out concepts of identity in flux, plummet into surface level politics and spirituality, and the death drive of self-aesthetics won't resonate with everyone, but for those who interact with that kind of thing on the regular I highly recommend the VN.

2) Fallow

It's trite to compare art to its inspirations, but Fallow is equal measures Myst and Yume Nikki. A couple hour RPG Maker experience with a strong aesthetic core years in the making, alongside a lofi guitar soundtrack that evokes Silent Hill 3 but with the creator Ada Rook's signature style, it is a thoroughly atmospheric and captivating experience. One of those games that takes you back to being 13 and discovering a weird, dense game online overanalyzing every bit with people on gaming forums. It's a great time.

1) Taiko no Tatsujin

I can't name just a single game because I've fallen in love with Taiko no Tatsujin in general. I could play this game infinitely and because of the community it has online, I could. It's incredible to have a strong drive to improve my skills in a game just so I can play the hardest custom songs online eventually (I can't yet, not by a long shot). It's just plain old rhythm game bliss.

Honorable Mentions: Re:Kinder, Shadows of the Damned, Rule of Rose, Halo Infinite multiplayer, LoZ: Majora's Mask, The Good Life

Nina fucked around with this message at 11:44 on Dec 14, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nina
Oct 9, 2016

Invisible werewolf (entirely visible, not actually a wolf)
In that case I'd pin them on 25th Ward specifically