Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mamkute
Sep 2, 2018
Hello again, here has one more year survived in increasingly shaky circumstances. We're not going to get any younger, so let's enjoy GAMES while we can. Escapism is healthy, in moderation. Without further rambling, here is the list; but there are a few extras worth discussing.

The WTF, Publisher award: Tales of Arise (2021)

The game I have to disqualify from the year's top ten list for two reasons: One, I have not finished it yet. Two, a decision was made to have skills and stat boosts attached to the costumes that cost real-life money. I already paid 90 Canadian dollars to buy the game on launch day for the pre-order bonus of angel wings. I am willing to pay for meaningful content, but not for gameplay options that are arbitrarily put behind a paywall.

Honourable Mentions

Sonic Generations (2011)

Sonic Team plays it safe here, by only putting in things that the audience has mostly agreed on as good and executing it competently. This is somewhat disappointing to me; the weirdo who wants weird and edgy stuff like Shadow the Hedgehog, slippery controls and all.

Yugioh: World Tournament 2007

Elemental Hero Stratos is the best guy ever! He gets the other cool HERO dudes into your hand, and cleans out your opponent's messy back row cards. Run 3 copies, because you can in this game.

Pac-Man World 2 (2002)
https://youtu.be/Nx2FaW2_4L4
An ambitious effort, with 6 worlds of varied stages, each having a different music track. The game kinda loses steam after the volcano area.

Rayman Origins (2011)

With smooth motions, Rayman runs, jumps and slides through an assortment of awesome areas.

Now, the top ten list of games that I played during the year 2021.

10. StarBoy (2021)

The alien is here, and he is cute! A fairly simple game, with the mechanic of being able to walk on air when you have the light.

9. The Legend of Zelda: Majora's Mask (2000)
https://youtu.be/Ai-_JRAqeik

The trendsetter for time loops, this game has earned its reputation as a classic. Gather knowledge, and use it to help all the people, and then eventually stop the disaster.

8. Atelier Lydie and Suelle ~ The Alchemists and the Mysterious Paintings ~ (2018)
https://youtu.be/K10mTmipYzI

The magic of making miracles with anything you can find and put in a cauldron. This game leaves the plot light to focus on characterization, which brings chill vibes as you experiment with bringing new aspects out from your gathered materials and have cute interactions with a group of friends and fellow alchemists. It is also hella gay.

7. Rise of the Tomb Raider (2015)

The story and setting were less focused than they were in 2013, but the side modes with cards that modify the game make up for it.

6. Call of Duty: World War 2 (2017)

There have been many games set during World War 2. So, what makes this one stand out? The quality of the presentation and the squad. Even the silly and outlandish elements give a kind of 'camp' sincerity. 5 stars, would fight Nazis with my boys again.

5. Resident Evil Zero (2002)

Horror in a train, then horror in a suspiciously familiar mansion, then horror in the basement, then horror under a church, then horror in a factory, then a loving frog eats you.

4. Pokemon Ultra Moon (2017)

Four islands filled with fabulous friends. Alola is the most fleshed out region to date, and the regional variants change and bring new feelings to the first generation Pokemon designs. I love my rainbow sludge monster.

3. Final Fantasy 7 for the Playstation 4 (2020)
https://youtu.be/UbAy4MfmKrE

This is specifically the remake, which is great and adds standout new characters such as Shinra Middle Manager, Roche and CHADLEY. Everything looks and sounds excellent.

2. Azbu (2016)

Wow it's whales! Wonderful! Swim with and save the sea creatures.

1. Dragon Ball Z: Kakarot - Trunks, The Warrior of Hope (2021)

I'm contributing review energy to the Spirit Bomb that will defeat the competition! The Trunks DLC is not quite as good as the main game, but it is still worth checking out as it has new story content after the credits that has never been adapted before to a video game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mamkute
Sep 2, 2018
I will order every other game I played this year:

11. Sonic Generations (2011)

12. Pac-Man World 2 (2002)

13. Rayman Origins (2011)

14. Yugioh World Tournament 2007

15. Tales of Berseria (2016)

16. Sushi Striker: The Way of Sushido (2018)

17. Battlefield 5 (2018)

18. Call of Duty: Black Ops (2010)

19. Kingdom Hearts 0.2 (2017)

20. Days Gone (2019)

21. Just Dance 3 (2011)

22. Infamous: Second Son (2014)

23. Shadow of the Tomb Raider (2018)

24. Ratchet and Clank (2016)

25. Kao the Kangaroo: Round 2 (2006)

26. Final Fantasy 15 (2016)

27. Medal of Honor: Vanguard (2007)

28. Cars (2006)

29. Meet the Robinsons (2007)

30. The Lego Ninjago Movie (2017)

31. Burnout Paradise (2008)

32. Infamous: First Light (2014)

33. Naruto: Clash of Ninja Revolution 2 (2008)

34. Kung Fu Panda (2008)

35. Cloudy With a Chance of Meatballs (2009)

36. Injustice: Gods Among Us Ultimate Edition (2013)

37. Medal of Honor: European Assault (2005)

38. Assassin's Creed 2 Trophy Hunting (2009)

39. Assassin's Creed Revelations Trophy Hunting (2011)

40. Nicktoons Battle for Volcano Island (2006)

41. The Princess and the Frog (2009)

Mamkute
Sep 2, 2018

punk rebel ecks posted:

This is very cute.

Mods, could I have a probe with this image?