Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mix.
Jan 24, 2021

Huh? What?

Starting at the bottom, here's my GOTY list I guess:

10. Deltarune Chapter 2
Normally this probably would've been a bit higher on the list but this year had some ridiculous games and honestly even though I'm definitely on board for the whole ride, I've mostly just cooled off in regards to both Undertale and Deltarune so I find them enjoyable but not necessarily, like. top of my lists enjoyable. (I completely understand why it would be for others, though!)

9. Dungeon Encounters
I haven't beaten this yet but it's definitely one of the oddest entries on the list. I'm usually not big on story-light mechanics-heavy games, but for some reason this one just clicked with me and it's a lot of fun to just unwind and run a floor of this game while I have a podcast or music playing.

8. Everhood
This one was a lot higher on my list earlier in the year, but then, well, all these other games came out and it kept getting pushed lower and lower, which sucks, because I really loved this game (it's even on the list of stuff I might end up LPing if someone else doesn't snap it up eventually), and I still listen to the OST pretty regularly. 'What if Undertale was also a rhythm game' is a pretty neat premise for a game, and I think the creators have teased there might be future content for this world so if that does end up happening I'm definitely checking it out.

7. Gnosia
Another game that was high on the list and just gradually got wore down purely on how strong everything else was. The idea of a roguelike Werewolf game set in space with Zero Escape timeline hopping shenanigans sold me the moment I heard about it; it's another one I really wish had gotten more attention when it first came out, because I feel like people stopped talking about it really quickly and I want to see more VNs with interesting setups like this getting localized!!!

6. Necrobarista
This is one of two games on this list that did not come out in 2021 but were good enough to make it onto the list. Necrobarista is a game I am already preparing an LP for, but going over everything in it (as well as engaging with all the post-launch content, some of which DID only release this year) has just revitalized how much I love this game's visual style, way of telling its story through both text narratives and fully animated visual novel segments, and also the soundtrack (which owns). It's such a simple premise, too- a coffee shop that freshly departed souls can sometimes find their way to to spend their last 24 hours in the waking world processing their deaths- but the way it draws you into the world and trusts you to draw your own connections is refreshing. I'm really looking forward to when I can start the LP so that other people can experience this the way I have.

5. 13 Sentinels: Aegis Rim
If this was 2020 this would've been my GOTY (and it honestly should've been, though I'm also still happy with considering Mad Rat Dead my GOTY for 2020), but while I preordered this and got it at launch I never got around to it until early this year. Everyone and their dog knows why this game rules, I don't need to rehash everything that's already been said about it.

4. Psychonauts 2
loving robbed that this game got no awards at TGA. I've moved it around this list constantly ever since I played it (though never lower than where it is now), and even now I'm still second guessing myself for putting it this low. One of the best examples of how to make a sequel to a cult classic game over a decade later and (for the most part) nail it completely, but also bring the standards of the modern day into light with how some of the writing and inner workings have been updated (especially in regards to consent and how mental illness is portrayed). Will instantly purchase any DLC that would ever happen for this game if it does.

3. Shin Megami Tensei V
I haven't beaten this one yet, but I'm comfortable where I have it purely based on all of what I've experienced so far. I legitimately think this might be my favorite SMT game to date- it's definitely my favorite of the mainline series, at least. The QoL changes carried over from previous entries shine even more here, the music kicks rear end so much, and it's given me the same experience I've been missing ever since I first played SMT4, but on a much, much bigger scale. One of those games I could see myself firing up a new file for now and then whenever I just wanna run around punching demons and exploring the environments.

2. Final Fantasy XIV: Endwalker
Look, it was good. It was really, really good. They wrapped up the better part of a decade's plot and stuck the landing and while it wasn't a perfect expansion it was honestly probably the best they could've done, and it left me eager to see where the adventures are gonna go from here, so ofc it was gonna be high up on the list. :colbert: I can't say more without spoiling why it's so high on the list.

1. NEO: The World Ends With You
Literally the game I never thought would happen and the fact that it not only happened but imo completely surpassed the original means that I honestly can't not consider this my GOTY let alone one of my favorite games of all time. The original was a really influential to me when I was a teenager, and I know that if I was still a teen when this came out it would've had the exact same impact on me. Massive loving shame that SE refused to market it in the slightest so it never hit most people's radar :argh:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mix.
Jan 24, 2021

Huh? What?

I do also think it's an important separation for newer players catching up or old players coming back, considering how often people fall into discussing/listing expansions in an order of which they like best to worst extending that to the actual list in general makes sense. :v: That's part of why I specified Endwalker on my own post, since I'm only talking about it specifically.

Mix.
Jan 24, 2021

Huh? What?

Real hurthling! posted:

Anyone else love everhood this year?

i did! it was even my goty for a while before twewy neo, psychonauts, endwalker, etc...

Mix.
Jan 24, 2021

Huh? What?

13 sentinels is a dating sim actually :v: