Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Soul Glo
Aug 27, 2003

Just let it shine through
I didn’t have a PS4 for the last year of that generation so I spent some time on my shiny new PS5 catching up. Here’s my list!

1. The Last of Us Part II (PS4 on PS5): So glad I forgot about all the negative buzz on this game and played it for myself. So rarely do you get to see characters experience consequences for their actions, and that theme was blastin’ throughout this game. Borderline nihilistic at times but still compelling start to finish.

Just because characters are protagonists doesn’t mean you’re meant to think they’re good!! Sometimes they need to get what’s coming to them!!

2. Call of Duty Warzone (PC): My most played game this year by far, just fun times with bros.

3. Ghost of Tsushima (PS4 on PS5): Finally, a great Assassin’s Creed game with good pacing to boot. Some of the best art in a modern game.

4. Demon’s Souls (PS5): It’s that old game but looks good. I never got into the original at launch but loved the rest of the Soulsbornes so this was a remaster I was happy to see.

5. Resident Evil Village (XSX): I loved 7, and this was the dumb-in-a-good-way follow up it deserved. Felt a little disjointed, but it stayed fun throughout and didn’t overstay its welcome.

6. Final Fantasy VII Remake (PS4 on PS5): I really like that the devs decided to stay true where they did and diverted where they wanted to. Excited to see where this new take goes.

7. Deathloop (PC): A good rear end game with lots of style and a dumb, unnecessary twist. I really like that Arkane took their immersive sim formula and balanced it towards fun with how lenient the game is to breaking stealth and letting you be loud without cratering the whole level into chaos. Cool powers, too.

8. Cyberpunk 2077 (PC): The best version of a mess of a game that worked well enough to be fun enough for people like me broke brained enough to enjoy Bethesda-style RPGs. Still dig the art, music and style.

9. Far Cry 6 (PS5): I like all the modern FC’s, but this one is best. Like Deathloop, they balanced it for fun— take out the materials grinding, unnecessary looting animations, and emphasize blowing poo poo up without getting too melodramatic about the given premise. It’s still a heady authoritarian set-up, but no Bothsidesism made it into this one and it felt fun to actively play the game.

10. Spider-Man Miles Morales (PS5): Marvel’s Spider-Man lost me in the bloat, this abbreviated outing was much better paced, and it was fun to break away from the same old Peter Parker drama. New powers went a long way too.

Playing now, but probably would have made the list:
Forza Horizon 5 (XSX)
Halo Infinite (PC)
Ratchet & Clank Rift Apart (PS5)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU