Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

I MAY LOOK LIKE SHIT BUT IM ALSO DUMB AS FUCK

whoa veeg did swears :eyepop:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

VideoGames posted:

Feeling the same way. Please, just add three more games, or number the ones you did not, please. Please. :pray:

Same, what the gently caress.

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

Play posted:

I feel like all this commotion is just revealing the undeniable truth: that MMOs should be banned from the GOTY lists

true paradise cannot exist

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

my list is in shambles due to last minute play sessions of more games

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

Escobarbarian posted:

Speaking as a non-FFXIV player separating the expansions doesn’t really seem to me to make any sense at all?

People do it for other MMOs, WoW for example

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

lol

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

Tosk posted:

Does anyone have a link or convenient reference for the last few iterations of this thread? I've picked up a lot of interesting new titles from reading this one.

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3950329&pagenumber=1

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3906060&pagenumber=1

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3875640&pagenumber=1

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

it was cool that one year where monster hunter won

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

everyone's lists are super high quality this year, some super cool layouts and custom pictures and fonts holy cannoli

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

Jerusalem posted:

I was so thrilled the year Sekiro won.... well, in my heart at least, even though the thread accidentally mixed things up and swapped its place with Disco Elysium (also a great game!)

:same:

Jerusalem posted:

Monster Hunter World was so great, I feel bad for never "finishing" it.

I finally "finished" early this year (hence it makes my goty list for a 3rd time), and let me tell you it was extremely satisfying to go all the way, having to completely remake my playstyle and builds several times over in order to be able to even survive some of the later stuff, eventually culminating in Fatalis. Holy crap what an apex gaming moment.

I can't wait for MHW2.

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

punk rebel ecks posted:

"Weak year" more often than not simply means "I primarily game on Playstation or Xbox." Nintendo and PC platforms had plenty of quality titles.

I mostly play on PS and I had a great year. Was def catching up on some stuff from last year but that's cool, too! Some sweet jrpg releases this year on old consoles, a few of which I haven't even gotten around to.

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

i will arrange mine autobiographically

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

:siren: G O T Y 2021 :swoon:

This page doesn't have nearly enough gifs :thunk:

It was a nice, unorthodox year that saw me trying all sorts of games I would normally pass up. I'll start with small potatoes and work my way up. A big ol' thank you! to Rarity and Veegy who put in so much heart and effort every year to bring us all together in the name of home entertainment luxury spectacle and its ever-evolving artistic pleasures. And thanks to goons everywhere for being who you are and making this place special.

:d: games I didn’t play enough of...in time for this thread: we’ll see you in ’22! :d:

• Bugsnax
• Subnautica
• Shin Megami Tensei III: Nocturne HD
• Suikoden II
• Indivisible
• Rider's Republic

:d: other games I played this year :d:

• Destruction Allstars
• My Friend Pedro
• Octodad: Dadliest Catch
• Superhot

:d: 'The Love Affair That Wasn’t' :d:

Yakuza 0

I’ve tried pretty hard with this one, on and off for years now, and while it’s got a wonderfully slick localization and some incredible humor…on a narrative and gameplay level it just puts me to sleep. I’m definitely going to finish it (maybe even sooner than you think) and I’m glad they’ve found a following in the west with these games since they are so totally unique. Unfortunately, I think I’m the wrong audience.

:d: Honorable Mentions :d:

Deathloop

Arkane took a big risk with this one and it seems to have paid off for the most part. Colt is a great protagonist and the fundamental gameplay is snappy and fun. Environments are well designed and even when things seem too complex to keep it all straight the systems at play manage to help the player stay in control of the chaos. It's not the best game released in 2021 but I had a great time with it and I def didn’t feel ripped off. Hopefully some story DLC can come round out what I thought was a rather abrupt ending.

Nex Machina

One of Housemarque’s best titles overall, Nex Machina melts my eyes and ears with its furious voxel storm, and the soundtrack for this one is possibly their finest. Years ago when this game failed to find an audience and Housemarque subsequently announced that they were moving on from the classic bullet hell genre it seemed like a huge tragedy, and yet…

Pix The Cat

Pix is a Pac-Man inspired experiement I got for free on PS+ years ago and suddenly had the urge to play again this year. It’s hard as hell and requires real memory and reflex mastery to unlock its hidden modes. No microtransactions here, it takes some skill to find the bounty in what is basically a micro-sized, fractally hallucinogenic puzzlecoaster. Don’t trip over your ducktail !

Virtua Fighter 5: Ultimate Showdown

Out of the ashes! Praise the benevolent Yakuza devs, the original king of 3D fighters returns. Beautifully restored, given away free on PS+, delivered into a world that has forgotten it ever existed. A minor miracle. Does this mean we’ll see Virtua Fighter 6 someday? My guess is that ship has sailed, but one can dream.

:d: 10 - Monster Hunter World: Iceborne :d:

Fatalis Final Phase Theme - Proof Of A Hero

MHW makes my top 10 again, the 3rd time in 4 years. 2021 was the year where everything came to a definitive and roaring conclusion as I passed the 700 hour mark and finished every last bucketlist item I could in MHW’s meaty ‘endgame’, including its incredible final free DLC fights with Saphi, Alatreon, and Fatalis. It took me a long time to bang this one out, and the number of times I had to reinvent myself and my entire playstyle from scratch over the last 4 years (Greatsword > Bow > Light Bowgun > Sword & Shield > Charge Blade > Heavy Bowgun > Dual Blades) in order to persevere through all the poo poo this series can throw at a player really speaks to the sheer magnetism of its world and sense of progression.

By the time I’d worked my way up to Fatalis I was doing things with this game that I never would’ve imagined were possible back in 2018, and the sheer sense of ride or die that pervades later fights with overwhelmingly aggressive monsters, where I was at times just trying to do my best to support other random players and not die myself, man, it’s such a weird and cool form of team spirit. Truly, I can only imagine an experience like this coming out of Japan. And when I finally did beat Fatalis and craft a gun out of his bones…only then did put the controller down for the final time and uninstall the game. It was a boss fight that required every skill, resource, and bit of knowledge I had built up over the previous 4 years, and it was the most fulfilling moment of conclusion I could have asked for from a game that some might say…has no end. MHW looks so beautiful and runs so fast on PS5 that I simply cannot wait to see what Capcom has cooking for this series on next gen.

:d: 9 - Furi :d:

Carpenter Brut - What We Fight For

Furi is a tiny game with huge cojones. Another PS+ freebie victory, this hard as nails bullet-hell meets rhythm brawler has so much confidence in the pure, intense simplicity of its boss-rush structure and premise that it also dares to punctuate each frenetic encounter with an entirely linear walk&talk meditation scene, small moments to take a deep breath before you smash your head against the next seemingly impossible challenge. It really shouldn’t work as well as it does, and yet the thrill, style, and responsive speed of each distinct boss battle mixes perfectly with neo-samurai visuals and amazing original music from Carpenter Brut, Scattle, etc, for a psychedelic arcade romp that’s in a category all its own.

:d: 8 - Blasphemous :d:

Coplas de Incienso

Lately I’ve been reading a lot about the history of the witch hunt in Europe and the Inquisition in general, and I will admit that it’s KINDA weird that I’ve found so much kinship with a game adorned in the bizarre and hosed up cultural/religious iconography of such a shameful period for humanity, but…Blasphemous whips!

It’s easily my favorite castleroid ever released besides SOTN (my #1 game of all time), with dark, novel, exotic pixel art, and a tight, unforgiving sense of difficulty that feels more like Strider x Sekiro than Richter Belmont and Alucard. The music is haunting (as others have suggested elsewhere, anyone playing this should at least try the incredible spanish voice acting, it really adds to the atmosphere) and the story’s themes are exceedingly dark and disturbing, not an ounce of camp in this game. It’s received a ton of free post-release content and TGK has even announced that a sequel is in the works. Day 1, baby!

:d: 7 - NieR: Replicant ver. 1.22474487139… :d:

Cold Steel Coffin (The Aerie Village)

The 1.22 ’title update’, as they call it, for this now-classic subversion of videogaming conventions is a fantastic bit of cultural restoration for one of last decade’s most endearing entries into the jrpg series hall of fame, and a big splash of polish for that 2010 rusty squeezebox combat. More erratic and uneven than its critically acclaimed sequel, NieR: Automata, Replicant is far more focused on its small and lovely cast of characters to get too bogged down with “what it all means”.

That said, there are genuinely gorgeous moments to be had here, and the series’ trademark musical innovations are still present and lovingly restored, along with a few other new tidbits. Just don’t be too surprised if Taro’s trademake genre-blending ends up exhausting or trolling you. I had a great time with this one, and while the grind to see the new secret ending was perhaps the biggest 'ask' I’ve ever encountered in a videogame (to the point of near exhaustion), I am genuinely glad I was able to push through and witness the new culmination to the story. It was everything I wanted and more. What a lovely series.

Here’s to years and years of future NieRs. :cheers:

:d: 6 - Final Fantasy VII Remake: Intergrade :d:

The Journey Continues - Goodbye, City of Mako (:siren: visual SPOILERS!)

The best Remake of all time just got even better. This was my #1 in 2020 and I kept playing it in 2021 on the deliciously challenging Hard Mode, gorgeously up-res’d on PS5 with zero loading times and the same cast of beautiful eco-terrorists I’ve loved for 25 years. The new Yuffie INTERmission isn’t just a clever play on words between major releases, or a great story chapter in its own right (spot that new post credits secret ending!), it’s also a perfect example of how they plan to change things up gameplay/design wise with Remake pt 2 on next gen hardware. I can see the possibilities…like beautiful colored orbs of materia bouncing around in my skull. C’mon Square, bring the love!

:d: 5 - Diablo II : Resurrected :d:

Return to Tristram

No, wait…actually, THIS is how you do it. This is how you do a remaster. Vicarious Visions, of recent Tony Hawk remaster fame, recently got gobbled up by the Blizzard beast. And what do they do next? They go to work on an utterly mind-meltingly faithful restoration of what I consider to be the most addictive game of all time, The Life Eater: Diablo 2.

I managed to put 100+ hours into this remaster in maybe less than 3 weeks, and god…this is how it looked IN MY MIND 20 loving years ago! The unbelievable attention to detail that VV has put in here, the absolute dedication to staying true to what the game was back then even while adding very subtle QoL features that don’t gently caress with what the experience is supposed to be. My best friend got it, too, and has since leveled up each character class to 80 in under 2 months. It’s a drug, folks. Words cannot describe the nostalgia attack I had when I went through that portal and heard the Tristram theme again for the first time in decades. One of my favorite games ever, one of the most perfectly atmospheric games ever, treated with love and respect. Resurrected.

:d: 4 - A Plague Tale: Innocence :d:

Together Forever

What a wonderful surprise, this game, the feel-bad story of my entire year! No doubt I should’ve bought and played it years ago, but recently I got the PS5 version from PS+ and immediately upon starting it I was totally enthralled. I turned off most of the HUD and flicked the language to French and was very quickly taken with the characters, the sense of style and historical detail, gorgeous music (easily my favorite overall game soundtrack this year), and the gutsy approach to making an adventure game that doesn’t rely on cheap blood lust or power fantasy, but instead on emotional connection and problem solving.

You can see the influences here: handholding and command mechanics that feel like ICO x Brothers: A Tale of Two Sons, stealth mechanics and ‘prestige tours’ straight out of The Last of Us, but what is wholly unique to A Plague Tale is the absolutely unmatched atmosphere and sensitivity to the human condition that its excellent writing, pacing, and performance capture bring to the table. Another game that hits me hard with the hosed up Inquisition themes, but I can’t help also feel that there is a climate metaphor in here somewhere as well. Don’t even get me started on how effective Asobo’s homegrown Rat Technology™ is at making you feel completely and utterly oppressed! Where did this game come from???

Needless to say I am excited for the continuation of the story in A Plague Tale: Requiem, it has immediately rocketed to the top of my most anticipated games and I can’t wait to see what Asobo does with more time and money under their belt.

:d: 3 - Cyberpunk 2077 :d:

Been Good To Know Ya

This was not a game I anticipated at all. I didn’t read previews or watch pre-release videos of it. I didn’t keep up with developer twitter or post about it in advance over the long development period. I didn’t really care at all about C2077 going into December 2020, and when it plopped on the scene with unprecedented consumer controversy I kinda just shook my head and laughed. But one day in late January I was at a game store and saw a single lonely new copy of it sitting in a promo case for $40 and I thought to myself, ‘well, I guess I could get it now and play the PS5 version when it eventually drops.’ I don’t know what it was. Maybe I just felt bad for the devs who crunched so long only to see a release day shitshow, or maybe that single copy seemed out of place looking so ignored in the harsh light of the pandemic shopping mall, like a christmas tree that gets thrown on the curb after 2 weeks.

Similar to my #1 pick this sat on my shelf for a few months as I played other games for hundreds of hours, but in June my curiosity got the better of me and, as a decent chunk of a patch had just been released, I popped the fucker in. I’m really glad I eventually listened to some of the more ardent defenders of C2077 on these forums because what I found in the game was a nuanced, messy, interesting, and above all emotionally provocative experience that is stuffed with clichéd design decisions and yet simultaneously somehow unlike any other game on the market. What a strange bird this is.

To be clear, I really don’t enjoy open-world GTA sandbox games all that much, or even western RPGs for that matter, and I’ve been kind of burnt out on fictional media that romanticizes futurism and the post-human, but C2077’s got so much heart buried under all that shiny machine excess and corporate cynicism. I could take or leave a lot of the traversal (which was indeed better once I got a sword and double jump skill), and I don’t really give a poo poo about skill/inventory management or intricately branching questlines (not a Witcher 3 fan)…but I was totally enamored with CDPR’s ambitious, gorgeous first-person-cinema approach to storytelling. The set dressing, the music, the attention paid to facial animation and voice acting and mood, just the overall quality of the main and side quest writing, all of this stuff kinda floored me in C2077.

There were a few bugs on PS5, and parts I couldn’t wait to get over with, sure, but even 6 months after completing the game I am still haunted by how the story ended, by the fleeting sense of connection I felt to both V and Johnny, and Judy, and Rogue, but also by the sense of fatalism that the writing manages to convey in a bizarre and hosed up world that never felt as much tangible or real to me as it did emotionally authentic. And that’s the rub, C2077 may not be the best story ever told, but overall the questions that it asks and the way that it asks them really got under my skin. It’s macabre and witty, tragic and dull, and way way way too ambitious. But it’s also my favorite narrative of 2021 all told, and experiencing it in full was worth any consequent annoyance or monotony. Been good to know ya, Johnny.

:d: 2 - Metro: Exodus :d:

Race Against Fate (Title Version)

Metro Exodus dodged in and out of the #2 spot for me at various times this year but I think I’m ultimately happy with its placement here, and in some ways it’s like the flipside of the coin from Cyberpunk, so depending on my mood on a given day they do occasionally swap.

They’re both games that are obsessed with the idea of a cinematic first person narrative, but where C2077 is bloated and overstuffed, Metro is spare and elegant. C2077 nails the presentation in a dozen different audio/visual ways, but Metro nails the progression of its sim-lite survivalist gameplay with a flawless sense of pacing. Where C2077 might have you making dialogue choices and loving with skill trees, Metro gives you a tool bag and pushes you into the silent wilderness to decide how to use it. In spirit, these two games are tied for me. Metro is less ambitious than C2077 but it also sticks the landing far better with the resources it has and stays true to its gameplay conceits at every turn. And both games have more than a little bit of jank. Additionally, Exodus features incredible atmosphere and level design, my favorite gun customization mechanics in a game, and a sense of tension, anxiety, and oppression that pushed my boundaries in all the best ways (what an amazing final level)!

What really sets Metro apart, however, is its attempt to convince the player, rather obliquely, to commit themself to making moral choices within its ‘roleplaying’ framework even when the situation seems impossible and there doesn’t seem to be a right answer. This is a tricky tightrope to walk, and the game doesn’t always play fair with its audience, but for the most part it manages to put you in situations where your actions are always bouncing off of your comrades and loved ones in a dense if somewhat passive narrative tapestry. I kind of arrived at this point in another thread but:

“my feeling is that the game has a strong through-line about how the world is not simply hostile but ultimately counterintuitive, that all you can do is your best and even making all the right (ie 'moral') decisions in a situation might still net an unexpected or negative outcome. The reason I think it works with the story in Exodus is you're already doing your best just to survive and escape, despite all the lies you've been told and all the crazy communities you come across, there are almost no right answers.”

Overall the sense of connection, from past to future, from one railway station to the next, from the random native peoples to their various shattered environments, and from a disastrous present to a potential dream where people can live and create without fear of radiation or starvation or violence…it’s all communicated so well through Artyom’s ever-changing relationship with his wife Anna, a character portrayed with such nuance that it manages to ground the entire story and its possibilities within the player.

The myriad alien locales which remind constantly of our rapidly approaching future living with climate change, a desperate struggle for subsistence with every part scavenged from a lonely corpse, and an incredible sense of tactility (nice PS5 haptics ahoy!) with which you experience that rare first-person shooter which discreetly and politely asks you to not be too itchy with the trigger finger. It all feels so wholesome, earnest, and hopeful despite the apocalyptic surroundings, and those are feelings we all could use a bit more of nowadays. Even a poo poo future is worth enduring if you have people to love.

:d: 1 - RETURNAL :d:

Hyperion Theme

Housemarque hits the bigtime.

For more than 6 months a sealed copy of Returnal sat on my shelf waiting for me to give it the time of day. I’d promised myself that 2021 would be the year I would give a few of the longer games on my backlog a go (not to mention finishing a ton of books), and I mostly kept that promise, incrementally budgeting my evenings for open world games that aren’t normally my thing, or grindy jrpgs, even an FPS or two. All along there was Returnal, the kind of game I almost always go wild for right at release, it was just waiting for me to get my poo poo together.

My initial impression of the thing is that Housemarque’s approach to sound design is my first truly next-gen gaming moment, even though I had already internalized the parlor tricks on display from 2020’s remake of Demon’s Souls. I was already enamored by the fast loading speeds and the lovely haptic feedback in some of these new games, but nothing on the console had really hit me in the ‘new technology’ weakspot until Returnal’s sound design did, and paired with another stellar soundtrack from a developer known for them I was in total shooter heaven as the particles began to fly. I guess that’s a long and boring way of saying that Returnal nails the fundamentals of both bullet-hell and prestige walk-n-talk so absurdly well that it’s sometimes easy to forget how experimental this genre mashup really is.

I love that Returnal has got the guts to attempt a hybrid of the sort that keeps so many secrets, that it may well alienate even the most adventurous buyer with its premise, and that it has the juice to both stick the landing but also sort of keep the player in the dark about what it all means. I’m also fond of Returnal’s prickly, alienated, middle-age 'faildaughter' protagonist who feels like such a natural choice for the material but also so new, so unconventional for videogames on the whole. What a great way to tell a story about guilt, anxiety, and emotional baggage.

In the end it all comes down to the gamefeel though, the fact that such depressing and serious subject matter could be so fun to sprint through at 60kmh while smashing everything in sight into rainbow colored orbs, it’s all just unrelentingly stimulating. The game’s dedication to Giger-esque alien environments, sci-fi psychodrama, detailed haptics, 3D sound design, experimental button layouts, strange HUD design…it would mean much less if it all didn’t orbit the perfectly tuned arcade shooter experience that just happens to be glamorously corrupted by state of the art prestige storytelling. Returnal is a near-perfect melding of gaming’s future with gaming’s past, the divide bridged, …which I guess was the point all along. Housemarque’s finest achievement.

--

EZ list

1. Returnal
2. Metro: Exodus
3. Cyberpunk 2077
4. A Plague Tale: Innocence
5. Diablo II: Resurrected
6. Final Fantasy VII Remake: Intergrade
7. NieR: Replicant ver. 1.22474487139…
8. Blasphemous
9. Furi
10. Monster Hunter World: Iceborne

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

Escobarbarian posted:

drat that’s a loving good list. Really glad you loved Cyberpunk even if you hated Panam like an IDIOT I might be mistaking you for another goon, apologies if so

Yeah, you got me pinned. I'll take the thrashing ;) :love:

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

fridge corn posted:

Super list and write-up as usual BP. Our lists share 3 games in common! I'm gonna have to start writing mine up soon if I'm gonna have it posted by tomorrow

You'd chuckle if you knew how late I stayed up.

veni veni veni posted:

Also I just straight up forgot Diablo 2 on my list. I'd have bumped any of my last 4 off there and swapped it out I just totally spaced it lol. It'd be number 6 though

Diablo II was my #2 for a solid 6 weeks, then my memory jostled a bit as I watched veegy's latest stream.

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

some pretty prominent lists missing from this thread atm :catstare:

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

Rarity posted:

I'm a last minute voter type of girl

;-*

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

Rarity posted:

My list is 60% written so its on its way :D

i was mostly joking, yeah, it took me weeks to write and rewrite my list and days to format. i'm sure people like veegy are sweating under the gun rn with all the poo poo they have to write

Rarity, which console gen are you up to?

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

punk rebel ecks posted:

Do you want me to post my few years old "Top 100 Video Games of All-Time" post?

hell yes

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

Even though your taste is like night and day different than mine, your list is very cool.

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

cheetah7071 posted:

AA and high-production value indies own

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

punk rebel ecks posted:

I agree that quality gaming isn't within the AAA space anymore (for the most part).

But if I made the list today people will be like: "Where is Fallout 4? Assassin's Creed: Valhalla? Fortnite?" These are the types of titles I largely ignore because they simply don't interest me. The only "major" cultural titles that aren't first party efforts that I've played is Call of Duty: Warzone, which I found to be mediocre.

Yeah I don't care about any of those games in particular, though there are big titles I do love

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

good god, the last 90 seconds of that vid :ohdear:

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

yall lists are v. good.

hey fridge, what was the furthest you got to in iceborne?

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

out in force tonight!

sekirowns.

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

fridge corn posted:

I honestly can't remember. Somewhere in the middle? I kept meaning to get back into it, but I never did. Guess were all waiting for a sequel now

:negative:

i will not reinstall. i will not reinstall. i will not reinstall...

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

Legendary list veeg, it was such a wild ride this year.

Bad Beap feels: my pick for your #1 was FF7R for the last 3 months and in the last week I second guessed and chose Sekiro :unsmigghh:

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

:eyepop:

edit VVVVVVVV #whoa

BeanpolePeckerwood fucked around with this message at 10:44 on Dec 27, 2021

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

not to mention last year and next year hell yeah

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

i wonder if we got more lists this year than last year

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

I'm thinking we'll definitely have more unique games this year.

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

man like 4 days left, WHERE ARE ALL THE LISSTS??

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

VideoGames posted:

The Last of Us II

I played this back to back with TLOU and in every way possible this is the better game but only because of the foundation provided by the first game. Having seen the full story and learned all that it wants to tell me; I am stunned.

Somehow, despite being a mod of a busy Games forum, I was unaware of anything that happened in this game or the first.

I am truly glad for that because the narrative I experienced has been one of the most emotionally puncturing, resounding, distressing and hopeful that I have ever experienced. If the TLOU was about learning to reconnect then TLOUII was the opposite and learning to let go. It is a revenge tale but one with protagonists who are not cliches and can both be excused and understood for their actions due to 'The Sins of the Father'.

Ellie and Abby are victims of their father figures whose misdeeds and mistakes spur both on horrible quests in an effort to atone for things neither had a part of.

This game is a tragedy and it is told phenomenally.

TLOU was great, but it ended in such a way that I genuinely could not conceive of what a sequel could be. I thought the stories told were at a satisfactory end and I was content with that.

Looking at the box art, all I could ascertain about Part II was that Ellie looked extremely angry. Returning to it after the fact, I can see more than just anger in her face. I see the anguish and pain and I see her hopelessness.

To discuss the visuals; the game looks phenomenal. At various points in time I feel like I am watching real life. The attention to detail in both the look of the game and animation is unsurpassed. From start to finish I had my breath taken away by the visuals. Every aspect of the game is ND pushing the system to the limits. This does also mean that when it is brutal, it is harrowing. So many times I was taken by surprise and had to look away from the screen. All the way to the end I was gasping and half closing my eyes at what might happen next. This is an affecting game but as mentioned earlier, the story is where everything truly has the greatest impact.

The ending of this game left me unable to properly render words. I stammered and short circuited because I was overwhelmed. Very few games stick a landing so hard where I feel such a strong sense of completion, and here I experienced a powerful story with a lot to say that fully resonated.

I would place it alongside Nier:Automata in that it is something I only ever wish to experience once and have that playthrough as my ultimate memory of the game. Even if they release a TLOU III I will not go back to either this or the first game.

Ellie, after Left Behind, was my favourite female protagonist. Maybe my favourite protagonist ever. Going into this, she remained that way all the way up to a certain point and can I just say I have never been so worried for a fictitious character as I was her.

I was happy to leave it in the farm house. She had a life and love and she was on the road to starting to get better. Then Tommy comes along and knowing how much she is struggling with a deep loss, guilt and PTSD puts her sense of loyalty towards the one person who saved her over the world and uses them to make her give up everything she had somehow won.

I got so angry at him and so upset for her. I was genuinely worried. Someone on stream asked me 'Is Ellie redeemable' and obviously I like to believe everyone is and can be. There was a caveat though: If she killed Abby then she would have fully crossed a line that would have hurt me, especially after Abby let her go twice.

Up to the end of Day 3 everything that Ellie and Abby went through was understandable from both their points of views. They were both victims doing the wrong things because the world in which they were born into is a hideous mess of war and murder.

Joel, Tommy and Jerry were born before the infection. All three of them should know better and let them down drastically. Joel via his fatherly love for Ellie but dooming of finding a cure, Jerry by ignoring his hippocratic oath out of a desire to be the saviour of mankind and Tommy by preying on a young girl's severely damaged mental state. Goodness. You get why Joel and Jerry did what they did, even if you might oppose it. In this horrendous world these kinds of things happen. A desire to save everyone and a desire to save just one. They are mistakes made while hoping to do good.

Tommy though. Yikes. He came in and broke up a happy family for spite and revenge and continuing this destructive cycle that had claimed so many lives.

Switching the game to Abby midway through originally made me feel like the story had suddenly lurched back to the start but I have to say, the way it made me replay those three days and grow to find her to be just as compelling as Ellie was a risky move that worked out phenomenally. I originally did not want to play as her. Seeing what she did to Joel and how upset she made Ellie made me feel just as taken in as Joel must have near the end of his segment. I did not want to 'be' her and I wanted to see Ellie's story through. As I played through Abby's story though, everything slowly fell into place and you come to understand that in another time these two could have been good friends. Abby is not the monster Ellie sees, she has just done a monstrous thing for personal reasons just like Ellie.

I really grew to love Abby and felt so awful for her as the days went on. She essentially mirrors Joel from the first game in destroying an entire group just to save a loved one. She also grew to understand the fact that revenge does not make things better and this is why she twice left Ellie alive and even at the very end, emaciated and still trying to save Lev, she was going to let Ellie kill her. I mean man.

The moments where you, as Abby, were hunted by Ellie really hit home how much of a vengeful demon Ellie had truly become. She was terrifying and her unbridled anger issues were something Joel mentioned during the museum scene.

I was so, so happy that Ellie let Abby go. It was the right thing to do. She should never have been there in the first place, but she saved Abby and Lev without realising it. She let go of Joel and the painful memory and she was reminded of the good memory. Abby took her chance at a reconciliation away from Joel but there is nothing more Ellie can do to bring that back. It is gone forever and killing Abby does nothing to change that. Her only choice is to let go of Joel and let go of Abby.

Yes, this is a bleak game, but not all of the time and there are some truly joyous emotional beats that rival the Giraffe scene from the first game.

The acoustic version of A-ha's Take on Me was stunning and when it clicked what she was singing I was over the moon.

The museum scene is THE greatest scene in this game. Hands down from start to finish it is perfect. Every last section of the museum and dialogue of that event is a masterpiece. Ashley and Troy knock it out of the stratosphere and I feel enriched for being able to take part in it (as weird as that may sound).

Abby got the most intense action set pieces though, the royal rat authority scene had my heart pounding and me flailing around. The horseback through Haven scene as well was a mix of worry and awe at the surrounding area - some serious standouts in terms of visual prowess with the way that fire moved.

Then there is the epilogue. Ellie tries to play the guitar again and she cannot. She can, however, finally think of Joel as something other than a battered and bleeding mess.

That last memory with Joel where they both agree they will try to get past his choice I am just in awe and love with it. So much said with so little. Firstly if they had ended it after Ellie said 'Okay' with an upbeat tone I would have loved it in an incredible mirror to the first games 'Okay'.

Secondly that she went years before properly talking to him, making that last moment with him positive (despite what happens to him the next day final) was sorely needed. It provided the smallest bit of closure for me.

Thirdly I knew he would not be an awful homophobic dad. I said it as much way earlier in the game when they were looking for guitar strings that she should tell Joel and he would be OK with it. I knew it.

Fourthly when he says he would do it all over again that is when it truly hit me just how much of a Dad he is to Ellie. That is also the moment when she realises too. She wanted to die and wanted to mean something and Joel stating to her face for the first time she is properly speaking to him in years that what he did hurt her, and that him doing it led to where they are, and that he still confidently says he would do it again. Goodness. She gets it, we get it, he always got it. He might as well be her Dad.

I am so, so glad I played these back to back. In a way they are not really sequels, they are one long story and it is one that suckered me in wholly.

I shall be thinking of this game a lot in the years to come and the impact both have had have left an indelible mark on my heart.

I really must emphasize how accurate and articulate this read of all the poo poo going on in 2LOU is, it matches my feeling in many ways and I'm glad you got so much out of the experience. The game really is a marvel.

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

Kull the Conqueror posted:

1. The Last of Us Part II (2020): This year sees me in the midst of my second play through of Naughty Dog’s latest earth-shaking entry into mainstream games discourse. The narrative is even more emotionally potent when you can see the full arc of it developing; there’s also a lot of incredible little story details I didn’t notice on my first go. And the gameplay, hoo. When you finish a nonlinear sequence, whether you stealth your way through everyone or things went bad and you had to go Rambo, at the end it still feels like the whole thing was choreographed, like you’re making the movie as you go along. It’s magical. They tell me I gotta get a PS5 but TLOU2 still makes me feel like I already arrived in the next gen.

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

Sir_Phobos posted:

7. Castlevania: Rondo of Blood
I finally played all the way through this game recently, and man, it's got some frustrating sections as you'd expect from a classic Castlevania game, but it's also got a ton of charm. There's something wonderful about PC-Engine CD and Sega CD games with those animated pixel art intros and cutscenes, because they were exploring a new medium and working with what they had by using redbook audio and voice acting to create something impressive to people who were only familiar with SNES and Genesis games. I love the movement options that Maria and Richter have, and if you can get past the old-school difficulty hurdle, I think it's worth checking out 100%.

5. Contra: Hard Corps
I played the Japanese version (which gives you 3 hit points per life), so I wasn't able to read any of the dialogue, but I still had a great time. I wasn't aware that it has so many boss fights; it almost seems like an early version of Alien Soldier with such short levels, which I really appreciate. I'm a big proponent of games that are short and sweet, and this definitely fits the bill. It also has branching paths through the stages depending on what dialogue options you select, along with multiple endings, and four selectable characters that each have their own set of weapons. Very feature-rich, highly recommended.

oh hell yeah

also that 13S gif :eyepop:

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

Jay Rust posted:

Sadly ffxiv is not a game, it’s an mmorpg (the “g” in “mmorpg” stands for “groin”)

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

I'm sure they'll release a complete edition where I can skip the mmo crap one day. I'll wait for that!

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

Jerusalem posted:

:same:

I'm sure there are helpful people out there and all that, but I can't relax/enjoy myself playing games if there are random other people involved, unless it's a close friend/partner and we're in the room together it just stresses me out. That's absolutely a me problem, but the brief time I spent loving about in WoW really soured me on any kind of MMO experience, it feels more like work than having fun.

The thing that sinks it for me is month to month payments. because my use of time is erratic at best having a timer on in the back of my head completely prevents me from even starting to engage, and it's the main reason I will never play an MMO.

Now, something compartmentalized like MonHun? I'll put 700 hours into that no problem.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

Octatonic posted:

Does anyone have a link to the previous GoTY threads? I missed out on last year's, and I didn't see links in the OPs.

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3950329&pagenumber=1

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3906060&pagenumber=1

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3875640&pagenumber=1