Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Yay, I love this thread every year! Great OP :)

Rarity posted:

Point of Clarification:

The Mass Effect Remasters will be counted as individual games, not as a whole collection

Thank God, I was one game short of a Top 10 before, though now I guess I have to decide what to drop from the list :ohdear:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

This year was all about living in the past for me, apparently. 6 of my Top 10 were remasters of older games, some I had played before and others I never had a chance to. Even two of the other four were essentially based in the "past" in some way or another. While I didn't play a huge amount of games this year, those I did I sure as hell played a lof of, so only one of the games I played didn't make the list, purely for space reasons. Given that I couldn't play Hitman 3 yet due to being exclusive to a different platform to the one I had the first two games on, the closest I got to Agent 47's meticulous murder puzzles was the wonderful Untitled Goose Game. It's very good, just not quite good enough to make this list!

https://gfycat.com/dimpledwarlikeiberiannase.mp4
10. Yakuza 4
This is it. The worst Yakuza game ever made (that I've played). It's a mess, the plot is too fractured, the pacing is glacial in parts, there are gameplay elements seemingly designed purely to frustrate the player, there is some decidedly gross stuff in and around one of the main playable characters and there are some utterly baffling (even for Yakuza!) plot decisions made that stretch even the suspension of disbelief these games are usually so good at encouraging.

It's also a great game!

Even the "worst" Yakuza is still drat good, and this was no exception. The teething problems are apparent in the first-time push to run with a different main character than Kazuma Kiryu, but the goal is laudable and they almost get it right (and learned their lessons for the next game). Suitably for the 4th game in the series, you are given 4 main characters to play with this time, each given their own significant chunk of the gametime before all 4 come together for the finale and you are able to freely switch between them.

Of the new characters, one - Akiyama - is absolutely fantastic, and could probably have carried an entire game by himself. Saejima has a lot of potential, both in his history and as a playable character, but suffers a little from annoying gameplay elements (his movement through the city is constantly stymied by stationed police officers) and a far too long prison section that grinds the game's momentum to a halt. Tanimura isn't bad to play as, but his position as a kind of seedy cop who basically gives a green light to sexual exploitation but is presented as a morally good guy is really skeevy. Then there is Kiryu, of course, God's perfect idiot who gives 150% to everything he does and simply can't help getting involved in ridiculous Yakuza schemes.

Boy are they ridiculous too! Yakuza 4's main plot is really something else, completely nonsensical and relying incredibly heavily on the most convoluted circumstances, chance encounters/developments and at times utterly mystifying motivations. The attempt to wrap all four guys and their various rivals/foes/personal plots together causes a bit of a mess, and the ultimate climax/wrap-up of the game kind of feels like everybody involved ran out of ideas and decided,"gently caress it, everybody shows up in the same place and has a big fight!"

It really is a great game though! In spite of all that I just wrote! All the usual subplots are there, the wacky zaniness, the oddly wholesome horny middle-aged dudes and precocious children and mini-game after mini-game after mini-game. Collectibles, underground coliseum fighting rings, restaurants and bars and the obligatory hostess clubs and, of course, mahjong! Each of the characters have fun supporting casts, especially Akiyama and his incredible assistant Hana who is just fantastic. Plus there is the absolutely incredible moment where Akiyama and Tanimura decide to fight Kiryu because of (of course) mistaken identity. This leads to a predictable but fantastically badass sequence in which they - like every other random mook on the street - are left trying to figure out the license plate of the truck that just ran them over after picking a fight with Kiryu, and these are guys raised to the utter peak of fighting skill through scores of hours of gameplay!

My least favorite Yakuza game so far, it's also one I sunk 100+ hours into easily, because as far as I can tell there is no such thing as a bad Yakuza game. At least not yet.

https://gfycat.com/costlybraveantelopegroundsquirrel.mp4
9. Yakuza 3
When the remasters of 3, 4 & 5 were announced for the Yakuza series, I was made aware that 3 was probably considered the weakest in the series. As you can see from its place in my list... I disagree! It certainly has its issues, of the three remasters it definitely feels the clunkiest and the upgraded graphics & textures can only mask so much.

Another regular complaint I heard was that the early section of the game drags a fair bit, as Kiryu largely just screws about in Okinawa running his orphanage and being dad to a bunch of kids inbetween wondering into town and getting caught up in the usual crazy encounters that Yakuza games are so well known for. The thing is though... I would have happily played a game of just that!

The orphanage and the relatively low stakes of Kiryu trying to help the kids out while resisting efforts from local Yakuza and bigger business to buy out their plot of land for competing developments was actually the best part of the game for me. When Kiryu inevitably returns to Tokyo, all the usual Yakuza goodness is there, but it was very much more of the same I'd experienced in Kiwami and Kiwami 2 (and of course 0). You can tell why they realized it was time to shake things up in 4, but I am kind of fascinated in the notion of an alternate timeline where instead they made another Yakuza game that really was just Kiryu raising the kids in Okinawa.

The plot is standard stuff really, backing down somewhat from the kind of weird, uneasy "secret Koreans are everywhere!" plot of Kiwami 2. There's money to be made via corruption, and some Yakuza want in on the action, and everybody is scheming and making plots around rank, position and a shot at chairmanship of the Tojo Clan. Kiryu, of course, just wants to secure his orphanage and ends up sorting everything out in the way he knows best: punching it!

Yes there's odd stuff like the CIA secret assassins, hidden plots within the larger plot to expose a shadowy political power, and the twin of a dead character (of course!) but it's not all that difficult to grasp what is going on even when they throw in the by now requisite double-crosses and shifts in the power structures of the perceived antagonists. Overall, it's just a solid addition to the Yakuza game series. It doesn't really reinvent the wheel, and it is showing its age even in a remaster, but it's just good drat fun like all Yakuza games.

https://gfycat.com/anxiousperkychinesecrocodilelizard.mp4
8. Mass Effect
Another remaster! 2007 wasn't that long ago in the greater scheme of things but it feels like a million years, and it looks it if you ever try to replay the original unmodded. What the Legendary Edition remaster of the game did, thankfully, was make it look, sound and most importantly FEEL like I remembered it. Widescreen, high resolution graphics, almost non-existent loading times, a more robust character creator and a (minor) overhaul of the "legendary" inventory system of the first game which was, frankly, an utter misery. There are even minor quality-of-life improvements like giving you ways around miserable old standards like the Tower of Hanoi puzzle.

Getting to replay Mass Effect on a modern PC, rebuilding my old Commander Shepard and getting to take back through the entire trilogy was an utter blast. Having the benefit of the (shockingly still detailed) memory of everything the game was going to throw at me meant that I could just really settle in and enjoy it, relishing each refreshed memory, anticipating eagerly what was to come next.

Yes the game's almost quaint "visit three locations, return to the hub, look at the new locations then finish the game" structure is pretty obvious, including where its interactivity and responsiveness are limited, but its also like visiting an old friend. Plus, as mentioned above, you now know what doing or NOT doing certain things will accomplish: how do you handle Wrex (you keep him alive at all costs!)? What choice do you make between Ashley and Kaidan (well, obviously you choose for Ashley to die, but in which location!?!)? Do you grab Liara first and become BFFs or leave her stuck in her bubble as long as possible for the amusement of being incredibly more informed than the galaxy's foremost expert on both Protheans and her now dead mother? Can you get through to Saren so he at least can go out on his own terms by killing himself rather than willingly doing Sovereign's dirty work?

Plus you get to experience again Mass Effect when it was new. Even knowing how things turn out, Sovereign remains a fascinating and terrifying presence, and the suggestion of what the Reapers were was always going to be more scary than anything ever shown. That's something Mass Effect did so well, it figured out when to leave things to the imagination. Playing it again, almost 15-years since it first came out, it made me remember just why I loved this game so much in the first place.

https://gfycat.com/dampdelicioushorsemouse.mp4
7. Cyberpunk 2077
I am fully aware of how deeply disappointed people were in Cyberpunk 2077, and how legitimate many of the complaints about it are. I don't dispute that the game is clearly a mile wide but only an inch deep, that it is utterly baffling in how it lacks some standard elements to be expected from almost any RPG let alone a massively expensive production like this one. In spite of all that however, I also really, really enjoyed playing the game! Sure it wasn't anything close to the astonishing experience of Witcher 3, also made by CPDR, but for all its flaws the game that WAS there was one I liked as I played, and which I felt satisfied by when I was finally finished with it.

Also, while there is a lot missing from the game, there is also a lot of truly impressive things in it. The City may feel oddly empty or lifeless at times, but the incredible level of detail in nearly every space and around every corner was extraordinary. Similarly, while a lot of the side-characters you interact with were mostly over the phone and everybody else was just kind of.... there... as an NPC, each character you see, meet or interact with in the world is remarkably detailed/animated in terms of clothing, hair, body language, idle animations, movement etc.

It makes for a game where I could and would often just hang out WATCHING the game exist, go to a local market or into my apartment building or check out a party in the suburbs, see what people were doing. Guys and girls sitting at diners or in nightclubs, hanging out, chatting, smoking, drinking, just being there as part of the wider world on display.

As for the game plot itself, well it's hardly groundbreaking, but I did enjoy the conundrum V faced of his/her physical brain essentially rejecting them in favor of Johnny, particularly in how V's own mannerisms and habits would change based on decisions you made , becoming more like Johnny as V became less and less "themseves".

Perhaps my favorite part of the game though was that you are very much given the option (the best ending of the game in my opinion) to reject being part of the lovely eco-system of Night City, join the Nomads and gently caress off to be happy with Panam (or somebody else, or nobody, I guess, depending on choices you've made) for whatever time you have left.

Ending the game with V and Panam having slipped over the border and sharing a moment staring out into the open night sky was a phenomenal way to end the game. A flawed game without doubt, one with plenty of obvious and often inexcusable problems... but still a game I really, really enjoyed, warts and all.

https://gfycat.com/incrediblegloomygrayling.mp4
6. Mass Effect 3
For 85-90% of Mass Effect 3, it's the best game in the series, hands down. Almost everything is improved, streamlined and adapted from the lessons learned over the course of the trilogy to make for the most enjoyable experience possible. Yes, even at the time some people complained the gameplay had been dumbed down somewhat in a bid to attract a wider audience (to an already enormously successful series), but I felt like this game had the best, easiest to access and understand gameplay (particularly combat) of any in the series.

I won't go into the ending, it's been talked about forever and a day, including by myself, over in the Mass Effect thread. I'll just say that I didn't like it, and it's to my mind the reason why the game still to this day has a bit of a reputation as a disaster/failure in spite of its obvious success.

Obviously they didn't "fix" this problem with the Legendary Edition, but what they did do was include all the DLC that came out to go along with the original game. And that DOES fix it, whether you choose to consider it the real ending of the game (like I do) or just an example of how the game makers COULD still capture the spirit of fun, excitement and overall positivity that the games had before they got to that stupid, stupid original ending. Because the Citadel DLC is a masterpiece, even only taking into account the main storyline of Shepard and their evil Clone who wants to take over his/her life!.

The party, while it is obviously fanservice in terms of just letting the entire crew hang out and be funny/stupid, gives exactly the send-off that I wanted for the series. Having Shepard end the game (you can come back and play it after the ending, though the game treats it like you haven't finished the story yet) by musing with their love interest over how they've spent the best years of their life on the Normandy was just a pitch-perfect way of ending things.

Anyway, that's the DLC. But the main game also has tremendous moments, set-pieces, character interactions, closure on subplots and character beats. There are too many to go into here, but playing this game even in 2021 knowing what was coming, I still thrilled to moments like the Thresher Maw taking down the Reaper Destroyer, the Quarian Fleet targeting and bringing down another, Shepard ending the Quarian/Geth war, getting Kaidan back on the crew, ending the Genophage and Wrex's reaction afterwards, finding Javik, saying goodbye to Thane etc.

Yes, as the ending to the trilogy it failed to stick the landing and became something of a joke after so many years of being considered one of the best series going. But Mass Effect 3 was still a hugely enjoyable game for the bulk of it, and stands up even close to a decade after it first came out. Had it managed a satisfying (non-DLC) ending, it would probably be near the top of my list.

https://gfycat.com/neighboringaccomplishedantlion.mp4
5. Noita
For the most part I'm not really one for Roguelites, the ones I do enjoy tend to be the exception rather than the rule. Last year I included two in my Top 10, Hades and this game, Noita. This year, while I believe that Hades was clearly the "better" game overall it wasn't the one I kept coming back to. No, that was Noita, a game that I simply can't seem to keep away from for more than a few days (and often not even a full day) before I jump in for another attempt at cracking it. I now have over 100 hours in the game, I've beaten it twice, lost HUNDREDS of times, developed an awareness of the basic make-up of most of the (largely procedurally generated) levels, seen nearly every power, enemy or power/skill that can be earned, found, equipped, fought etc.

I have NO IDEA what I am doing.

That's the wonderful thing about Noita. I keep playing it, I keep learning a bit more, I keep getting a little better... but I have no idea what is going on. I see gifs or mp4s or some people and am left in utter awe (and terror) because they are doing things I cannot even fathom with the game, a game I have played a lot of! Their wizards are eldritch abominations, all flailing tentacles and tearing holes in reality as they claw or blast their way into parallel worlds, uncover secrets I don't have the fainted idea even existed, and bend or break the laws of physics over their knees as they transmute matter, eviscerate enemies and use wands so powerful that they momentarily freeze the computer trying to calculate what is supposed to happen when they go off.

Most of what you see in the banner image I made for this entry I simply grabbed from the Noita thread here on the forums, where various goons will frequently show off the insane poo poo they've done. I don't feel bad that I have no idea how they've done the things they do, nor does it feel daunting trying to build my wizard up to that level. Because Noita is a game about trying, failing, then trying again. Each time a little better, each time learning a little more, figuring things out, seeing what works and more often what doesn't. And whether the player is a complete rookie or some kind of astral being that can see in 12-dimensions, one constant remains true: hubris is the ultimate killer.

https://gfycat.com/boilinggrimybirdofparadise.mp4
4. Yakuza 5
Here it is, the culmination of everything Ryu Ga Gotoku Studio had been building to since the original Yakuza game. Even in this remastered form, it has since been surpassed by 0, plus of course of those I haven't played, 6 and Kiwami 2 having the new Dragon Engine to play in, and Like A Dragon switching things up entirely with a new main character and a switch to Turn-Based Mode. But before those, there was Yakuza 5, and it's just fantastic. Utterly fantastic.

It's huge. It's too big in fact! There are too many characters. The plotline is byzantine nonsense. So much is crammed into the game that it is overloaded to the point of ridiculousness. Each of the four main characters' storylines could easily carry a game all on their own. The game takes so long to complete and there are so many ancillary characters that it is easy to forget the significance some of them have.

I love it.

I don't care that it's too big or too much or that the actual plot, when finally revealed, is kinda dumb. This is mainline Yakuza, hook it to my veins and let me revel in it! You can see how everything they learned from the previous games has been refined and processed to get the ultimate bang for your buck. Most of all, this game essentially takes what the developer was going for in 4 and gets it all right here, to the point of even reusing probably my least favorite part of 4 and making it actually great: Saejima being in prison!

It's a game full of characters who are either self-serving liars or selfless liars or self-serving liars who THINK they're selfless liars! Park in particular is kind of repulsively fascinating because when you first see her your immediate instinct is to dislike her for what she does to Kiryu, but then as the game progresses you learn that she's still repulsively fascinating regardless of efforts to romanticize her horrible emotional blackmail of a teenage girl! That she is just one of a score of characters who compete for main time as protagonist, antagonist, or key supporting character just serves to remind that this game is loving huge.

Akiyama returns, as does Saejima, and Tanimura has completely disappeared (there's even a line later in the game where the others make like one half-hearted effort to call him then just move on with their lives :laugh:), replaced by Shinada who is an absolutely wonderful character. He's a penniless loser and he rules, his utter earnestness about his chosen passion for baseball makes him fit right in with the likes of Kiryu and he's a wonderful addition to the cast.

Big game is big, and it doesn't matter. Yakuza 5 is just purestrain Yakuza, it throws everything and the kitchen sink into being a Yakuza game, then builds a new kitchen sink just to throw that in too. Maybe Kiryu himself designed the game, because if so then like everything else, he put 150% into doing so.

https://gfycat.com/plainnaughtygossamerwingedbutterfly.mp4
3. Mass Effect 2
When it came out in 2010 it was the best game of the series. When Mass Effect 3 came out only two years later, 2 was still the best game in the series. Now with the benefit of hindsight and a decade plus to consider all three games... it's still the best game in the series!

This is the high watermark of Mass Effect, everything was firing on all cylinders here and the game is just incredible. From the opening sequence all the way though to the utterly astonishing, pitch-perfect ending as Shepard escapes the Collector base, all the way through to the stunning final shot of the Reapers making their slow, inexorable progress from the dark space between Galaxies.

It improves on almost every aspect of the first game, demonstrating a confidence earned by the hard work that went into producing this (and of course the other RPGs they've made!). It's probably the most cinematic feeling of the three games even if 3 improved on a lot of other technical aspects, helped by building on the location/hub system AND the personal interactions of the first game to tell a more personal story.

Shepard rebuilding her crew, from familiar faces to new ones, and getting to spend time with each of them both on missions and in the ship, feels more natural than it did in 1. It also feels more in line with the situation they are facing, while 3 made improvements to crew interactions it did sometimes seem to forget the crew was on a desperate war footing and facing extinction: in 2, the stakes are high but Shepard's movements and his/her mostly unofficial status makes the slightly less rigid atmosphere on the Normandy work better.

There are problems, of course. The game never quite gives you the freedom to outright reject Cerberus or tell The Illusive Man (Martin Sheen!) to gently caress off, and it feels like the developers were hoping to somehow convince you the war criminal terrorist racist torturers were just a little misunderstood. The player is left to do a lot of the heavy lifting in constructing their own narrative to explain why Shepard doesn't get to do or say things that the game simply doesn't ever give them the option to do.

The thing is, in trying to talk about problems with Mass Effect 2, to acknowledge that no game (except The Witcher 3) is perfect... well, it just keeps reminding me of all the things I loved about it. It's a fantastic game, just incredible, in 2010 it was one of - if not THE - best games I played that year, and in 2021 it's still right up there with the best of the best.

https://gfycat.com/sociablehilariousekaltadeta.mp4
2. Deathloop
Arkane has never made a bad game and this one continues that streak. A tremendously stylish, easy to play and also very, very funny game, it manages to capture the usual Arkane flair for enjoyable gameplay and the rewarding of exploration, adaptation as well as the by now very recognizable setting of a gameworld that is past its prime/showing signs of decay or degradation.

One criticism, and it's a fair one, that has been made about this game is that it is largely retreading old ground familiar from previous games. Ironic, perhaps, given the narrative is all about playing around with variations of reliving the same day. This is Groundhog Day mixed with Dishonored/Prey, as the main character - Colt - wakes on a beach and quickly discovers that he's been reliving the same day for a VERY long time and regularly loses his memories. He has no idea how long he has been at this, who any of the people he encounters are or what relationship he has with them, why one in particular keeps harassing him and killing him but also continually just wanting to have a chat.

As you play, you learn more. As you learn more, you get better at the game. As you get better at the game, you get more experimental/risky, knowing that ultimately if you die you'll get another chance at it. The overlap between the player's mindset and that of Colt himself is almost a circle, and one of the many remarkable things about the game is how often Colt's various lines/reactions not only feel natural but exactly how the player themselves might be feeling at the time. I get the impression a SHITLOAD of playtesting went into this game.

Oddly enough, this isn't a game with a lot of replay value. Well, it is. But the replay value comes in a first playthrough only. When I finished, I felt like I had seen and done everything there was to do in the game, because the way it was designed it was intended to encourage the player to keep trying new things, work different processes in different orders to see what happens.

This wasn't a game where I felt,"Well now I need to try again as a very different type of Colt" because, well... you could be very different types of Colt every single "day" of your first playthrough. Hell, you could be very different types of Colt in every quarter of every hour (the days are divided into morning, noon, evening and night) or even in a single quarter. You weren't punished for experimenting, you were rewarded, so when you were done you were REALLY done. Which means I probably spent way longer than I would have normally to complete the game, because I wanted to do EVERYTHING, but when I was done I didn't feel the urge to play again (and the multiplayer didn't really interest me beyond doing the bare minimum to get new outfits for Colt).

The game ends with a hook for a couple of very different potential sequels, and I'd be excited to play either. The game, as noted, is incredibly stylish with very accessible gameplay. But it's the personalities of Colt and Julianna (and to a lesser extent the Visionaries) that really gave the game personality. The voice acting from both is just great, but especially from Colt. Jason E. Kelley plays Colt's frustrations (and his goofy cockiness when he gets the advantage) wonderfully, adding real moments of levity at needed times but also the dread and despair of somebody who realizes - not for the first time! - the true horror of the "amortality" he had a part in creating.

In terms of the visuals, the sound, the gameplay, characters and voice acting it was hard for me to find a better game than Deathloop this year, even if some complaints about it being shallower than prior Arkane games have merit. Hard... but not impossible.

https://gfycat.com/disfiguredresponsiblejaeger.mp4
1. Psychonauts 2
In 2005, Psychonauts was released, but I didn't play it. A few years later, a very kind goon gifted it to me on Steam because they thought I should play it. I did. I loved it. So did most everybody else who played it, it's widely considered one of Double Fine Production's best ever games, and people really wanted there to be a sequel. Unfortunately, it didn't sell very well on release, and though it did well when made available on Steam it didn't seem likely that would happen. By the time the game was announced through a crowd-sourcing campaign on Fig, the interest remained but people weren't entirely sure if the Double Fine of 2016 would be able to recapture the magic of 2005.

It took until 2021 for us to find out, but luckily the answer was a resounding yes.

Psychonauts 2 is... exceptional. It's a sequel that took over 15 years to be made, and somehow it both feels modern AND like it really has only been 3 days between games, like it was for Raz and the rest of the characters. All the characters sound exactly the same, but more importantly those who are returning are also largely written the same, their personalities are intact (including those with fractured ones!) and the new characters feel entirely natural as fitting into the weirdass environment of the Psychonauts Universe.

Which isn't to say the developers were just pretending it is still 2005. Considering this is a game about people with the ability to go into the minds of others and fundamentally change the way people think, Psychonauts 2 does a great job of dealing with some surprisingly mature topics, particularly around consent as well as the dangers and irresponsibility of trying to "fix" somebody to what you consider to be the "correct" way to be. Raz very quickly learns his lesson and is suitably distraught about the implications (and consequences!) of his mistakes.

This isn't just there for a quick moral lesson, it informs the entire rest of the game and especially the main narrative where we see Ford Cruller has made plenty of mistakes - which Raz calls him out on - in the name of what he considered the greater good. It also doesn't just pretend saving the day magically makes everything okay, there are repercussions to actions and people don't always act logically: there is a difference between intellectual and emotional forgiveness and the game does a really good job of demonstrating this in a way that feels healthy.

Just like in the first game, there are some tremendous thematic levels found in some of the minds that Raz enters. Perhaps the most compelling is the realm of the PSI King (the images in the banner for this entry were taken from it), but Bob's Bottles, Compton's Cookoff, Strike City and Cassie's Collection are all standouts. They play with their themes in a fun way, and showoff some delightful visual imagery as well as very clever/fun use of both the game mechanics and the creativity of the level designers.

While this game as a stand-alone is very good, where it really shines is in its status as the sequel to such a beloved original. It doesn't (and shouldn't) be considered in a vacuum, because it is so specifically a sequel as opposed to just a game sharing the same name/universe. This continues the story of Psychonauts, and it does it better than I could have ever hoped it would, and leaves me excited at the potential for another game in the series. If they keep being as good as this, I'll just keep playing them, though hopefully this time not 15 years apart.... because this was the best game I played all year.

Jerusalem fucked around with this message at 13:57 on Dec 20, 2021

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Darkoni posted:

1: Metroid Dread (Switch)

When it comes down to it there is a good reason why they are called Metroidvanias and not Castlevaniatroids. Metroid Dread delivers that sweet sweet adventure-platforming action we all crave.

Seems like every year this thread gets made I end up thinking,"Man I should get a Switch....". I haven't even played any Metroid games before and this write-up made me wanna play Dread! :)

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

BeanpolePeckerwood posted:

it was cool that one year where monster hunter won

Monster Hunter World was so great, I feel bad for never "finishing" it.

I was so thrilled the year Sekiro won.... well, in my heart at least, even though the thread accidentally mixed things up and swapped its place with Disco Elysium (also a great game!)

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Barudak posted:

Everybody skips to #1

Good lord no, the very idea of skipping a countdown to go straight to #1... that dog won't hunt, monsignor.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Great list, Beanpole, man I hope Returnal comes out on Steam sometime soon.

Anyway, I picked up Blasphemous awhile back and I guess I really should play it, but I haven't felt the motivat-

Well I'm convinced :stwoon:

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Rarity posted:

6. If you want to go back and edit your list after the fact then go for it, just shoot one of us a PM or post in the thread to let us know you have or it might not get counted.

Looks like you're good since you posted about it in thread.

P.S any edits made to my own list were because I was fixing typos, which I am terrible about picking up on before hitting the Submit Reply button.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Jay Rust posted:

For every typo in your post one of your top tens gets ignored, starting with your #10. So at ten typos, sorry, you wasted your time (and our time)
It also overflows into other people's posts, so I apologize that I have rendered this entire thread and everybody's lists meaningless :negative:

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Kay Kessler posted:

4) Tales from the Borderlands - I hate the Borderlands games. I find the writing obnoxious, the characters unlikeable (and given the writing seems to really want me to actually care when one dies, that's not good) and the level scaling abhorrent. But I wound up adoring TFtB. Telltale was firing on all cylinders on this one. Great performances from Troy Baker, Patrick Warburton and Chris Hardwick. Each episode starts with a Borderlands-style title sequence, a neat nod for fans and a good way to generate hype for non-fans. And the writing is genuinely funny. It seems a lot of people (Telltale writers included, it seems sometimes) that The Walking Dead Season 1 was filled with lighthearted moments to counteract the dramatic ones, and that was one of the reasons the writing was so effective. The later Telltale games seemed to just wallow in drama with none of that relief. TFtB fixes that by being over 90 percent lighthearted humor so that when they want you to feel sad it can actually stick. Like a good movie, the moment I hit the end credits I immediately wanted to go through the game again. A big recommendation from me to both fans and non-fans alike.

"CATCH A RIIIIIDE!" :unsmith:

I absolutely love this game, I long ago gave up on Telltale Games, whatever magic was there seemed to have been lost, but TTB was the high watermark and just a studendously enjoyable game.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

All the talk about FFIV having a great story. Is it a story you can actually play/complete by yourself or do you have to do it with a group?

I hate MMOs :sigh:

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

BeanpolePeckerwood posted:

I'm sure they'll release a complete edition where I can skip the mmo crap one day. I'll wait for that!

:same:

I'm sure there are helpful people out there and all that, but I can't relax/enjoy myself playing games if there are random other people involved, unless it's a close friend/partner and we're in the room together it just stresses me out. That's absolutely a me problem, but the brief time I spent loving about in WoW really soured me on any kind of MMO experience, it feels more like work than having fun.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Great list but I'm very sorry Khanstant you simply must go to jail for those images :stonk:

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

God I can't wait for Hitman 3 to come out on Steam.

Incredible list, The 7th Guest, and great choice for number 1 :hellyeah:

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

But Doomguy is chanting,"I understand this is going to take a great deal of time and I appreciate all the hard work!" the entire time.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Rarity posted:

Sure you were, "Fix"

:aaa:

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

:woop:

Go Psychonauts 2!

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Jay Rust posted:

Post your favourite 2021 game music!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VPPM7YNsiO8

:discourse:

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

unzin posted:

1. Psychonauts 2
It was funny, weird, cute, drugs, and looked like a Pixar movie at times.

I'm going to be sad when Psychonauts 2 loses 1st place by 209 points because this list came in late. :smith:

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Levin posted:

Disco Elysium

Sekiro: Now you know how it feels! :argh:

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

"We will continue to make the best games we possibly can."

Elden Ring GOTY 2022 100% confirmed. :hellyeah:

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Oh God I missed the start!

Mass Effect 3 is a great game with an unbelievably bad ending, but it is still great!

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Wow after all that big talk, Final Fantasy 14 only managed 56th place, and that's it for it for this year!

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Dark Souls 3 rules, but man was I bad at it! (still finished it!)

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Dr, this is clearly taken from one of those Taiwanese "here is a celebrity news story we made in 3D" videos :colbert:

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

But I only just got here! :gonk:

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

While we wait, how badly did everybody else do? 5 of my Top 10 didn't crack the Top 75
Noita.... :negative:

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

VideoGames posted:

Takedown of Power
The bomb is set! Heroes run!
Tail down for success.

I've never played Final Fantasy 7 (beyond loving about in the first level) and yet somehow your haikus are bringing back memories I don't have!

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

But if you put more than 10 then Rarity has to do fractions

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Jay Rust posted:

Geoff would never take a lunch break in the middle of his show

What a coward :mad:

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

VideoGames posted:

This haiku mishmash.
These messy memory posts;
End. Insert Disc two.

:golfclap:

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Maybe I should actually finish the first Life is Strange one of these days.....

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Last year's Game of the Year (we only counted MY list, right?), hell yeah!

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

I was so worried when I played Legendary Edition that 2 wasn't going to hold up as well as it did in my memory, and it didn't.

IT WAS BETTER! :woop:

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Mass Effect 2: Best Mass Effect

Edit: This scene is from Mass Effect 3 but my point still stands! :cripes:

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Oh yeah, I bought Automata years ago, I should play that so I can buy Replicant and not play it for entirely too long as well!

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Escobarbarian posted:

Honestly you should maybe play Replicant first (it’s a remaster of the first game)

or like

play Replicant up to Ending D, then play Automata, then Replicant Ending E (new to this version)

Oh, I didn't realize Replicant wasn't a sequel! But.... it also is?

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Everybody says "gently caress Ted Faro" and with good reason (gently caress Ted Faro!) but I wish more people talked about how unbelievably cool and good Dr. Elisabet Sobeck was. :shobon:

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Regy Rusty posted:

What you never heard of the first Nier?

No, first time I ever heard of the Nier games was when Automata came out and everybody was going on about how great it was, had no idea it had a predecessor! Well, I did... but I thought the predecessor was the sequel!

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Rarity posted:

Probably cause Dark Souls came out 5 years ago :ssh:

It's 2016? God no I can't go through that again! :gonk:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Rarity posted:

Poor Ratchet and Clank, if only anyone had a PS5 to play it on.

2001: The Xbox is huge lol :freakout:
2021: The PS5 is at best an ephemeral concept, perceived only in our imagination, holding no purchase to our physical reality :pipe: