Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
I feel like a Gaga concert would be receptive to weird poo poo

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
6. Cloudpunk

I technically played this at the tail end of 2020, after composing my entry for that year’s GOTY thread, but I’m sneaking it in here mostly because it’s aesthetic as gently caress. It’s an endless neon wonderland where fog dances and tiny sparks flitter in the distance as you soar over the nightlit plazas and past, under, and through the Cyclopean skyscrapers of a decrepit cyberpunk metropolis. The game layered over this is frankly thin- a series of endless fetch quests and trips across town to make space for radio exchanges with largely unseen characters- but that’s fine because the driving/flying experience is all I want and all I need. If I used drugs while gaming this would definitely be the game I used them with. Now release the expansion on Playstation already.

5. Resident Evil: Village

Resident Evil Village is ultimately unpretentious despite itself, just a hoot of an action game and a great example of how the kind of modern “horror” that’s just a shooter with the lights turned off and gross-looking enemies can work. It’s not deep, it’s not cerebral, it’s not impactful, it’s just the high-budget thrill and chill ride it always should have been. There are times when it reaches beyond this, and sometimes it succeeds (the dollhouse) and sometimes it doesn’t (the factory) but the foundation is solid and carries it through.

(It was hard to find a good gif that wasn’t of the big lady)

4. Disco Elysium: The Final Cut

I knew how popular this game was just by existing in the games forum for a year, but I was finally sold on it by the tagline on its steam listing: “Become a hero or an absolute disaster of a human being”. Naturally my playthrough ended up being a bit of both, which I suspect is common. There’s already been more than enough written about this game so I can’t possibly add to it except to acknowledge how rare a game with this level of intellectual depth and responsiveness to choice in its writing is, or this level of freedom to go around telling people you’re a communist.

3. Psychonauts 2

The original Psychonauts was a weird little gem, a masterpiece of storytelling and a not-so-masterpiece of gameplay that spun one exceedingly fertile kernel idea (a summer camp for kids with psychic powers!) into bushel upon bushel of high-concept humor and heart and memorable levels that weren’t always as fun to actually play as they were to ponder. The sequel, whose existence is no small miracle, maintains both traditions by keeping the then old-school, now positively ancient platforming and collecting systems but embedding them in a whole new set of worlds based on a more modern and enlightened understanding of mental health and its portrayal in media. The hardest part of growing up is learning that the adults around you are flawed and this game is a great dive into that concept while also being funny as hell most of the time.

2. Returnal

I didn’t expect Returnal to be so good; the previous Housemarque games were fun but I was never able to keep up with them skill-wise. But when they did a fully 3D third person action game, I meshed with it better and saw it through to the end, such as it is. Returnal’s story is obtuse to the point of being deliberately opaque, an example of the hostility that permeates every aspect of its world. As a character you’re an astronaut trapped on a planet where everything is either dead or trying to make you that way, dying over and over and finding evidence of the toll it takes (took? will take?) on your psyche. As a player, you’re assaulted perceptually by the brilliantly executed visuals and audio, and intellectually by confusing and difficult mechanics and frequent losses of progress and time. This is one of those games that hates you to a degree that winning feels like you actually defeated it.

All that and it’s still not the best roguelike I played this year.

1. Hades

I was so sure the new Supergiant game would be a home run that I’ve been sitting outside their office with a baseball glove since 2019, and it didn’t disappoint. They’ve finally mastered the isometric action they made two attempts at before, by adding the randomness and paced building of roguelikes and a huge web of interlocking options to explore. And they also mastered the interactive storytelling mechanisms they first tried in Pyre, by adding a much larger cast with their own stories and agendas and relationships. The tick-tock between those two modes is the core of the game’s appeal- dying in the world advances the story back home, and by the time you’ve talked to everyone you feel like you could go for another try.

Thematically, it was also very appropriate to play in 2021. It’s a game about making the most of your situation at all times, and not falling into despair when the prospect of changing the system you’re trapped in seems entirely out of reach. It’s about forming connections and strengthening each other and teasing apart ancient feuds even when the forces that produced them are still there. It’s about the interplay between love and respect and responsibility. It’s about going on when you realize that your original dream is unattainable, because you’ll still end up somewhere that’s better than where you were before.

Honorable mention: Hog Crankers

The best puzzle game I’ve played all year about cooking barbecue and definitely nothing else. And I’m not just saying that because I made it

haveblue fucked around with this message at 22:27 on Dec 13, 2021

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

Help Im Alive posted:

05 - Rain World

rain world is beautiful and everything about the atmosphere + exploration was exactly the right vibe for the low mood I was in when I picked it up

It's easy to bounce off it because the game barely explains anything and it's not really clear where you need to go (and some areas can be brutal)

This is where I've been for years, every so often I reinstall it and give it a try and I have no idea where I'm going or what I'm doing and then a monster notices me and I get eaten and I uninstall it again. Guess it'll be time to give it another try soon

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
The fabled Dammerungdammerung

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
The best soundtracks I heard all year:

https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=OLAK5uy_mmsY7B9giHIXRb5aPnpgYFWBUWvItQlpA

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AuXSzda3aSc

It was a good year for HA_E_ games

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
It starts at 10AM for me but then I'm probably going to miss the top ten :/

e: Last year was 4:47 from the first ranking post (#60) to the post-#1 stats epilogue

haveblue fucked around with this message at 06:15 on Jan 8, 2022

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
I started reading late but I'm caught up now and I felt like you should all know this

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
meh, I hear the framerate sucks

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
I, too, remember the restaurant scene from Being John Bloodborne

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

Jerusalem posted:

Dr, this is clearly taken from one of those Korean "here is a celebrity news story we made in 3D" videos :colbert:

They started doing that once it became clear it was not safe to place reporters near Shepard

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
Looks like it takes more than two!!!!!!!!

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
I've only seen one of my picks so far, way down in the didn't chart category, but that's because I'm a boring mainstream gamer and everything else I picked is probably in the top 20

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

DemoneeHo posted:

You know, if Rarity and VG were friends with Kojima and Sakurai, we'd be getting more game trailers during this intermission. Just sayin is all

One person posting in this thread is the schick hydro robot, but will never admit it

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

Regy Rusty posted:

This is the first one to make me go "what"

I don't even know what this is

You have that in common with most people who played it

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

Help Im Alive posted:

I'd like it probably but I heard it described as a combination of far cry and assassin's creed and decided to get something else

That’s fairly accurate, it’s the standard AAA open world formula except with samurais and really good graphics

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
It’s actually a bowling spinoff

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
gg all

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
There are enemies you have to stealth past but they're a small part near the end of it, the rest of it is more of the original exploration puzzle gameplay in a really cool new setting