Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

owl_pellet
Nov 20, 2005

show your enemy
what you look like

I'm not going to post a whole top 10 list, so my post doesn't have to count for the rankings.

My GOTY this year is Returnal. Highest marks for graphical prowess, technical gameplay, haptic feedback, enemy and encounter design, art design, sound design, etc. The story is also there, and is told in an interesting way that leaves much to interpretation, but I personally wouldn't rank it as highly as other aspects of the game. The power curve does involve permanent upgrades but the most important part is that you get better at the game as you play it.

Runner up is Deathloop. For a hot second this might've been my GOTY - this was a pared down version of Arkane's formula that encouraged you to go stealth until the poo poo popped off and then go loud instead of reloading. Or hell, go in guns blazing. Or you know, the type of choices Arkane games do. Plus! Trash talking main characters that are pretty funny sometimes. Anyway, my heart sank as I realized that there is only one way to do a "perfect" day by killing all of the Visionaries in one go. Once you get to the target you can choose a few different ways to kill them usually, but they are always going to be in the same location at the same time of day if you're doing the "perfect" run. I suppose my expectations were too high? Too many permutations if I wanted to say, gather every Visionary at the party at night in Updaam and kill them at once somehow? And the endings were bad. Arkane is mediocre to bad at endings. Also Colt and Julianna's relationship ended up being kinda weird.

Biggest disappointment this year was Thronebreaker: The Witcher Tales, a game released in 2018 but first played by me earlier this year. I had it on my wishlist for a while, picked it up in a sale, and dove in expecting a fun little 3rd person RPG with quests, and maybe you collect cards along the way and build decks, and then have fun Gwent battles like in The Witcher 3. What I got instead was some of the questing, some of the deck building, and instead of fun, I got Gwent-based puzzles, where 90% of the time you had to look at the cards you had, look at the cards they had, think about battle positioning, order of play, etc. and figure out how to beat them in like 3 turns or something or you instantly lose. This is from my memory after playing it for 3 hours. I should have played it for 0 hours. I should have not bought it. Do not buy it. Ridiculous. Absolute trash.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

owl_pellet
Nov 20, 2005

show your enemy
what you look like

haveblue posted:

Honorable mention: Hog Crankers

The best puzzle game I’ve played all year about cooking barbecue and definitely nothing else. And I’m not just saying that because I made it

Put it on Android and I'll buy it ;)