Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

I played a ton of games this year but there are only a few I feel strongly enough about that they're GotY material for me.

1: Unsighted

The gameplay is pretty similar to Death's Door (also quite good but I only have space for one of these on my list), which I think got a lot more buzz, but it uses time limits in an interesting way that I'd rather not spoil. You learn about it in the first half hour but I found the reveal to be a really cool moment. Anyway it completely changed up the way I approached the game compared to how I would typically play a game like this. You can turn off the time limit if you really want but I'd strongly suggest not doing that at least on your first playthrough. That said, it's still a great game without the gimmick, lots of cool bosses and abilities and secrets.

2: Binding of Isaac: Repentance

An absurdly huge content drop + visual update for Binding of Isaac. I still think Binding of Isaac is the best roguelite ever made so a shitload of new content is pretty cool. Despite some no fun allowed balance decisions and a few heinously lovely characters (Tainted Lazarus...) the good in the update massively outweighs the bad. Out of all the games I played this year this is the one I spent the most time with. Ultimately it's More Isaac so if you didn't like it before this won't change your mind, but if you did it's pretty amazing.

3. Omori

This came out on like 12/20/20 or something so it was doomed to never get any GotY hype, but I played it this year so yeah. It's basically Earthbound + Yume Nikki. I know you're probably rolling your eyes now like you saw the phrase "Souls inspired" in a kickstarter pitch, but seriously if you like those games you'll probably like this, it's real good. I don't want to talk too much about it as it's best experienced going in blind.

4. Ender Lilies

Best metroidvania of the year, at least if we're sticking to sidescrolling platformers (see no. 1 otherwise). Not a whole lot to say here. Good gameplay, good level design, and I think it nails the art and story where I often find these games lacking. It's not quite Hollow Knight tier, but what is.

5. Geneforge: Mutagen

Remake of a classic CRPG, it's still good, how about that.

Games That Were Pretty Good: Monster Hunter Rise, SMTV, Ace Attorney: Blighty, Psychonauts 2, Tales of Arise, Tails of Iron, Conquest of Elyisum 5, Last Epoch.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU