Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

wash bucket
Feb 21, 2006

Made with Ranking Engine

10.) Subnautica: Below Zero

I loved the original to death. This sequel runs better and makes some improvements but the on-land sections and the story all feel like they weren't finished in time and rushed out the door. Still worth it if you enjoyed the first and would like another helping. But if you haven't played the first then I have good news for you: you get to play Subnautica for the first time!

9.) Chicory: A Colorful Tale

https://youtu.be/hYPbC8W9eMY
A thoroughly pleasant and sweet game that I managed to play on the PS5 but in hindsight PC with mouse support would have made it much better. I don't have an artistic bone in my body but I still had fun painting every tile in the world a nonsense color. The puzzles are creative and the story is touching without taking itself too seriously. If you need a mood elevator this is a good one.

8.) Metroid Dread

That's some good 2D Metroid.

7.) Resident Evil 3: Remake

I've had this game on my shelf for over a year and I never touched it. Why did I wait so long? Sure it's just more RE2 Remake but I loved that game and I like this game a lot too. Also the original RE3 was just more RE2 so it's true to its source material. It's an 8 hour action game that's fun and graphically impressive. Exactly what it needed to be.

6.) Valheim

An excellent co-op viking game with a frighteningly large procedurally generated map. Your enjoyment hinges on convincing friends to come and build a viking village with you.

5.) Psychonauts 2

I'm still kind of amazed this game actually turned out well. It's in the spirit of the first game but you can definitely tell the creators are older, more introspective, and much more world weary. That's fine, I am too.

4.) Resident Evil Village

My first PS5 game. It's a direct sequel to 7 but I don't think it quite lives up to 7. Also making it in the spirit of RE4 sounded like a good idea but that's so different from what 7 did that it clashes a bit. Still, there are lots of great and fun moments even if the entire thing doesn't quite gel. I like Resident Evil games and this is a good one.

3.) Deltarune Chapter 2

https://youtu.be/Xb1zr2QqzcM
I should be sick of this nonsense by now but somehow I'm not. These games (or parts of a game) just have too much heart. (And excellent music.)

2.) Snow Runner

I can't believe how much I enjoy this game about getting trucks stuck in the mud. Have you ever asked some friends to come over and help you with a project around the house only for it to go horribly wrong yet somehow you all end up laughing and having a great time? That's Snow Runner. Drive trucks with your friends. Get stuck. Come back with bigger trucks to unstuck your other trucks. Those get stuck too. Except the one that rolled down the hill. You know what? I'm gonna say it. This is the Dark Souls of driving games. The feeling of finding a new truck or upgrading an existing truck and then blasting through a section that you couldn't navigate before provides an immense sense of accomplishment. My playtime for this game is measured in weeks.

1.) Ghost of Tsushima

https://youtu.be/sc4_dXjkCl8
An open world samurai game made by western developers? That sounds terrible. Ha! Joke's on me this was the most fun I've had with a video game since Skyrim back in 2011. The sort of game where I could wake up on a Saturday morning and play straight through until evening. I haven't done that since... well Skyrim. The combat is FUN! You don't just have to stealth it up either. They found some great ways to make kicking down the front door just as effective and fun. The armors are all very impressive and I happily spent hours on side-quests just to unlock and upgrade them. It's also an absolutely beautiful game with amazing outdoor areas that were a joy to explore. I spent a lot of time standing on mountains tops just taking in the view.

I went through a particularly rough spell this year (didn't we all?) and thank goodness I chose that moment to give Ghost of Tsushima a shot. I'll always remember it for helping me through a difficult time.

wash bucket fucked around with this message at 04:50 on Dec 15, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

wash bucket
Feb 21, 2006

ShakeZula posted:

I'd never heard of this, but I decided to put my list of 10 into it for fun, and it turned out in the exact order I had them tentatively placed. I'm taking this as confirmation that my list is correct.

It got suggested earlier in the thread. I just decided it was worth it to keep mentioning it.

cheetah7071 posted:

For anyone having trouble ranking, but who does have a list of games they played, here's a tool to help you out:

https://rankingengine.pubmeeple.com/

wash bucket
Feb 21, 2006

I like the way you formatted your list. Specifically with small thumbnails and then a link to a YouTube video without it being embedded. Imma edit my list and do a bit of that too.

wash bucket
Feb 21, 2006

https://twitter.com/HardDriveMag/status/1474379474007375890?s=20

My list had SIX actual new games. :smug:

wash bucket
Feb 21, 2006

Oxxidation posted:

I individually painted every screen on Chicory’s map because it made the screaming in my head go quiet for a little while

Pro tip, hold the brush down for a few seconds to get a fill tool. If the game ever tells you about that I sure didn't hear it.