Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Red Alert 2 Yuris Revenge
May 8, 2006

"My brain is amazing! It's full of wrinkles, and... Uh... Wait... What am I trying to say?"

VideoGames posted:

Thank you Esco.
Everyone else please stop cyber bullying me.

jeff goldblum

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

May 8, 2006

"My brain is amazing! It's full of wrinkles, and... Uh... Wait... What am I trying to say?"
i think it's very kind that rarity rigs the count to make sure other, lesser games have a shot at goty

May 8, 2006

if we're admitting to goty thread fraud I've been using my alt accounts (wuggles, Rarity, Metis) to submit multiple lists for several years

May 8, 2006

Regy Rusty posted:

lol if you don't bang your list out in an hour or less

you gotta put a lot of polish on it so you can win next month's 'Game of the Year List of the Year' thread

May 8, 2006

Gaming rules.

Honorable Mentions:

Devotion: Good scares, great imagery, a personally really resonant plot. If you’re into horror games I’d recommend getting your hands on this one. It’s a pretty short playthrough.

Dishonored: Death of the Outsider: Not quite as good as Dishonored 2 but still a good time. Pretty short and I think none of the levels rise to meet the best ones in the other games, but Billy’s power set is pretty fun.

Jupiter Hell: The Doom Roguelike is probably my all time favorite roguelike, and this successor to it is really good too. Most of the reason it isn’t higher is that I haven’t spent too much time with it yet. Also, while I don’t think it looks bad, the art doesn’t quite match the charm of Derek Yu’s Doom monster sprites.

It Takes Two: The Keighley of the Year is a blast to play co-op and has an embarrassing understanding of relationships and divorce. In fact it’s so bad that it actually elevates the game as a co-op experience because you and your friend can dunk on how dumb it is.

Omori: I love the story and art of this game, but it’s a slog to actually play. Significantly fewer battles would help it a lot. Tedium for thematic purposes is a really hard line to walk and Omori does not quite get there.

Doom 64: I’m glad this got ported, it’s a solid Doom game.

Raging Loop: This game is honestly kind of silly but it’s a good ride. I’m game for a VN only now and then and if I’m gonna read one I want it to be at least a little weird.

Doom Eternal: The Ancient Gods 2: Doom Eternal is a great time, as always, but the second half of the DLC goes even further on adding enemies that require very specific solutions to harm. I think it’s the wrong way to go about forcing the use of more niche weapon options.

Tormented Souls: Could be a game transported directly out of the Wal-Mart PS2 bargain bin, it has a charm that comes from aping the second and third string games from when survival horror was a real genre people made.

Blazblue CentralFiction, Street Fighter 3rd Strike, Vampire Savior, Marvel Vs. Capcom 2: I’ve been able to play more fighting games with friends this year than ever and I loved every second of it. These were my favorites. Rollback becoming more and more prominent is a blessing.

The List

15. Hedon

Hedon is an extremely charming amalgam of old shooters. It’s Doom-y but has an increased focus on story and some light puzzle solving. The levels are combo of old Doom mazes with light immersive sim elements scattered around. It has an inventory system similar to a Build engine game. In the most positive sense it is what playing your friend’s D&D campaign via Doom would feel like. It’s got the level of roughness – sometimes important objects can be easy to overlook, lots of text-based exposition that sometimes is a little silly, the odd slightly clumsy mechanic – that sort of works in its favor because it makes it feel like a really dense mod, which I guess it sort of is. I feel that these things actually become additive given that this is so clearly a passion project for someone.

While I was working through it, the developer added a sequel to the game for free. Everything I’ve heard implies it is more and better than the original and I cannot wait to get around to it.

14) Psychonauts 2

What was good about Psychonauts before – the writing and performances – remains good in the sequel. What sucked – most of actually playing it – is improved here to the lofty heights of ‘fine usually.’ It’s still not a good platformer and I think there is strong argument that it would be better with most to all of the combat removed, but it’s passable enough to not really stop you from getting to the good parts. I think the levels are less interesting and weird than the original too overall. Nothing as memorable as the milkman/velvetopia/kaiju levels from the first game for me. The overall look of the game is actually really solid so it’s disappointing that, with a couple of exceptions, they didn’t go as far with it as I would have hoped.

13) SaGa Frontier

This was one of those games that I rented several times as kid but never really had the chance to own, and I was fascinated by it. I loved JRPGs and this one felt so different and so full of secrets even though I never made it very far into the game. Returning to it with the remaster, child me was right: I really like this game and it’s jam packed of weird stuff. It’s also, I think, sort of the ideal remaster. As far as my understanding goes they largely left the game intact only changing things that were strictly beneficial to the experience. They also added in some cut content.

Last year around this time I decided to make 2021 the year I played the entire SaGa series and while I completely failed on my deadline I did enjoy every single one of the games I did play. I plan to continue trying to finish the series in the future.

12) Hitman 3

I think the modern Hitman trilogy is straight up one of the best things you can get in the sphere of video games, if you can figure out how to buy it all. The entire trilogy being one giant game under the Hitman 3 umbrella is just an incredible amount of game and pretty much all of it is good. It’s not a new take but climbing inside the various clockwork machines you’re presented with and tinkering with them loving rules and every time you’re able to utilize obscure knowledge of the level to accomplish something or save your rear end you feel like a genius.

I think Hitman 3 itself is weaker than 2 overall, and my experience was soured by them struggling to connect content you owned across platforms. The always-online stuff is also still a millstone around the neck of the experience. While I think the elusive targets are cool, logging into the game to see a bunch of timers for how long you have to do something before it vanishes just sucks. The always-online stuff is still a millstone around the neck of the experience.

11) Black Mesa

Half-Life is one of my all time favorite games. The sounds and iconography of Half-Life haunt my dreams due to spending days upon days of hours in it and the swarm of mods that existed for it. If there was a mod for Half-Life of even minor note I probably played it at the time. I still judge the multiplayer fps space against the sort of things you were seeing people make for this game and modern games basically always fail to pass this test. I used to play through the game at least once a year though I’ve fallen off in the past few.

Black Mesa, for someone who loves Half-Life so much, is a great time. It misses here and there in the accuracy but that does not really matter to me. I just really enjoyed taking a very familiar trip presented in a sorta-new way. Before Xen it’s going to be what you remember and a strong take on it. Xen, however, is wildly different. Much longer with several new types of area which look fantastic. Each one also goes on too long leaving Xen feeling kind of bloated and filler-y at times. In the end Black Mesa is a great way to replay the Half-Life 1 campaign and it ends up being more faithful than it intended because I would skip Xen in this one, too.

10) Collection of SaGa

I’m counting this as one because GoTY Cop Rarity cannot stop me

I had Final Fantasy Legend as a kid and loved it but never made it anywhere. I was the kind of kid that would hit a wall in a game and often just start it over. I assumed that if I just played it better the next time through then I would arrive prepared to handle whatever challenge. The knife-fight bosses and wide open party selection hit me hard in this regard and I spent a lot of time playing the first 1/3 then starting over to try a new team. The monsters especially got me because I was not the kind of kid who would right anything down or try to solve the inner workings, so I relied on raw memory and luck to manage these.

Playing these games as an adult who can just pull up charts on anything I need to now, I still think these games own. While extremely simple by modern standards, it really works for them. Each game is a relatively breezy playthrough but the starkness of a lot of spaces, due to being Gameboy games, really works to sell the worlds they’re trying to show you. Also, I am a sucker for the sort of amalgam setting thing they do here where it’s swords and sorcery but also real guns but also cartoon guns but also robots, monsters, and mutants. I would love to see modern graphical power be put behind RPGs where you can shoot a flaming bird god with a rocket launcher as you flee from it on a hoverbike through a ruined city, or battles with random monsters starting off with your spaceship lighting them up with some missiles. I spent a chunk of my playtime here shocked that I hadn’t seen some of the scenes or imagery in these games manifested in something with more graphical power.

9) NEO The World Ends With You

I loved the original and the improbable sequel is almost as good. Despite some issues with pacing, late-game combat encounters, and a couple of sections that felt like filler overall I think it manages to feel like TWEWY without being a direct copy of its predecessor. While the scope is still JRPG as hell I really like the TWEWY games taking place in a very small area.

A strength and weakness of this game is its love for the original game. You could probably play this one only and be just fine – despite many Nouns it’s not that complicated to pick up, at least in a broad sense. But, for me, the time between games actually works in its favorite in this regard. I am actually someone who has held TWEWY in high regard for many years and the game reflects this attitude toward the events and characters of the original works to instill a sense of in-setting nostalgia that is pretty impressive.

8) Resident Evil Village

I love Resident Evil and Village is a fantastic escalation on 7. For my taste, it gets wild and stupid in ways I like without going over the line. The Metal Gear-esque swarm of weirdos often remind me of the cast of some lost movie from the 80’s. RE 7 and 8, being first person, really touch on a prime gaming experience: getting an excuse to go through other people’s drawers and take cool stuff. The combination of these things makes this a real ride and helps smooth over the issues with pacing that happen as the game goes on. Village, in the footsteps of 4, is a bit too silly and keeps you a bit too well-armed to be scary for the most part. It turns away from really trying to shock or horrify you – outside of the odd jump scare – and moves to try and delight you with how weird and gross this monster is or how over the top the next trap will be. I’m generally going to be here for this particular type of self-indulgence.

My one concern is that it leaves you with the taste that the RE series is a couple of bad calls away from going down the path of trying to be a big budget for everyone action series again and that would be really disappointing to me after they’ve been knocking it out of the park for several years.

7) Inscryption

Inscryption is a game best played for yourself. It’s got a great aesthetic and the runs are not overly long, so you can put whatever new bit of knowledge you gained to work pretty quickly.

6) Guilty Gear Strive

Strive managed to drag so many dabblers I know into fighting games. If you’ve ever clicked on the fighting game thread chances are good you stumbled into an argument about what features serve to bring new blood versus those that just make the games worse for no gain. Whatever you think about Strive solely on its merits as a fighting game I love what it’s done to get people I know who were always kind of looking for that on-ramp to get further into the genre.

On its own merits, I really enjoy the game. While not as complex as some, and maybe lacking in the staying power of the goats, it was easy to just hop in and quickly get in matches and iterate on what was going on. The relative simplicity and readability made it much easy to help newer players see what was going on.

5) Metroid Dread

Simply the best Metroid game.

4) Outer Wilds

I’m behind the curve on this one, and I still haven’t played the DLC, so there’s a lot already said about Outer Wilds. The feelings of discovery, mystery, and peril at top of their field when they land. I also think it trucks in an under-explored genre of games that heavily feature a vehicle that reminds largely separate from your avatar, but that’s a long boring post I already made.

This is a minor structural spoiler so skip past if you are trying to remind totally blind on this game: One thing I personally really enjoyed was the very clear last minute or two before a loop ended. I found it relaxing. Games are always trying to keep you engaged, managing your attention and energy to make you want to keep plowing forward. The game saying, “nothing further will get done this loop” was really excellent and I loved stopping to just be in those moments and reflect on the story bits I had picked up. To make an annoying comparison, it sort of forced this quiet time on the play in the same way Pathologic 2 forcing to you walk across town a lot did.

3) Monster Hunter Rise

A strict improvement on World. Rise feels like it got a little more of the MonHun energy back after the World’s reboot, and the wirebug is a fun toy to play with. More importantly, though, I just love Monster Hunter. There aren’t too many others games out there – especially outside of MMO raiding – that provide the same level of co-op challenge. That’s what lands it so high on my list. Most people I know that I would like to game with are unwilling to put in the time to catch up in an MMO they don’t already play, and rightfully so. Monhun let’s you jump in with your pals and fight monsters basically immediately these days, and you can always mitigate the ease of early monsters by trying out weapons you aren’t familiar with.

If we’re being real, though, triumph and friendship are great reasons to play a video game but we all know the reason in your heart: to become a grabby little loot goblin. To fill your storage chest with items and crafting materials and weapons and all kinds of bugs you’ll never use but you need 300 of them anyway just in case some fusion of dragon and fighter jet just so happen to have a weakness to Bitterbugs. I personally take a very base joy in how every outing in this game lines your pockets with more and more stuff. Between sending your pet army off on adventures and your own hands it’s constant.

2) Umurangi Generation

I bounced of New Pokemon Snap hard despite really liking photography in games – it’s the only real reason to play the otherwise mediocre Assassin’s Creed games. Umurangi Generation is my poo poo, however. In look and in message I just really vibed with this one all the way through. Like Inscryption this is a game I feel is better experienced, however, so it’s difficult to go into detail about what really works for me here. What I will say is that as a kid I remember loading up multiplayer levels in games like Perfect Dark or Half-Life and just poking around. I don’t remember why I did this, but the result was experiencing these spaces under a different atmosphere, sort of like still being in a store after it closes. Umurangi Generation sort of captures this feeling, but toward narrative ends.

1) Final Fantasy XIV Online: Endwalker

A lot of words have already been spilled on this game, so: I’ve been hugely into Final Fantasy since I got the first game as a kid. It and I were released in the same year. It is probably my favorite media franchise. FFXIV acts as a combo museum/theme park for the franchise as whole, packed to bursting with reference and new takes on ideas from the other games. FFXIV has also been a massively important game to me as a person, helping buoy me when things were dogshit and giving me the chance to meet all sorts of new people. Some of these people are very important to me now. FFXIV is probably my favorite game and arguably the most important to me, finally unseating Half-Life. The fact that Endwalker is a triumph in it’s own right is just a bonus.

May 8, 2006

excited to receive my 1st place ribbon for 'largest gourd'

May 8, 2006

games forum groin of the year thread '21

May 8, 2006

homeless snail posted:

They will never, I'm sorry.

yeah it rules

Runa posted:

Everything in Power Wash Simulator is so dirty. Like, seriously, wtf

yeah it rules

May 8, 2006

I love all the goty posting but my favorite are the ones where people talk about how a game intertwines with their life. Nice job Looper and godmode bless us, every one

May 8, 2006

going to commission Khanstant for my post next year

May 8, 2006

no matter how much work you put into your list, the important thing is that you gamed

May 8, 2006

Stux posted:

i think breath of the wild is the best zelda game actually

nice choices

Somebody fucked around with this message at 23:12 on Jan 1, 2022

May 8, 2006

Rarity posted:

Why would you do this

i've been silenced by coward mods, and on my birthday

May 8, 2006

thank you

May 8, 2006

I heard the countdown will have a frame narrative that acts as a meta commentary on the futility of ranking art and also a big budget destruction derby scene

May 8, 2006

500 of the words are 'Endwalker' and the other 500 are 'wins'

May 8, 2006

Regy Rusty posted:

Rarity loves milk drama!

May 8, 2006

The real rarity here is punctuality

May 8, 2006

SNU with the evergreen quote on this one

May 8, 2006

Looper of the year goes to: Looper

May 8, 2006

that image implies that kirby will interact with a lot of poop

May 8, 2006

Rarity posted:

I heard the countdown will have Relax or DIE doing a tribute performance of the classic FFX2 song 1000 Words

Endwalker Endwalker Endwalker Endwalker Endwalker Endwalker Endwalker Endwalker Endwalker Endwalker

Wins Wins Wins Wins Wins Wins Wins Wins Wins Wins

Endwalker Endwalker Endwalker Endwalker Endwalker Endwalker Endwalker Endwalker Endwalker Endwalker

May 8, 2006

hit me with the endwalker probe cowards i'm gonna go do some gaming

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

May 8, 2006

poo reflection: second shite

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

May 8, 2006

mods change my name to cheetoh7071